Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 PM
****ie w/ my 528i

Mein Auto: 1999 528i w/ 16" wheels
battery for key

Can someone help me open the keyless entry for my 528i?
I think the battery is dying. I can't pop the trunk. I have opened many chrysler and jeep fobs before, but not one like this. It is a laser-cut key, with 3 buttons on one side, and the other side says " fcc id fzv. I can't make out the rest of it.
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Insert key, turn, open trunk. Manual entry is a 90 degree turn to the left; 45 degrees will unlock and then you'll be able to push the button above the license plate.
Someone will be by shortly to post pictures of the various keys. 2001+ keys have the battery soldered to the board
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Last edited by bmw_n00b13; 08-26-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
If you have the old style key (rubber with the 3 buttons sort of in a triangle...2 on the bottom + 1 large LOCK button at the top...when you flip the key over, you should see a flap. Take a small screw driver or your fingernail to lift . This will expose 2 screws...undo those 2 screws and the entire back cover comes off.

You will need a 2016 battery which you can get from Walmart's jewelry counter, Radio Shack, or the watch kiosk at the mall.

Does your key look like this?

If yes, turn it over and lift the little flap which will expose 2 screws...

Undo those 2 screws...

Which will expose the key's battery...

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Hopkins View Post
I can't pop the trunk.
Maybe it's not the key at all.

When my trunk loom frayed, and, I accidentally cut a ground wire, I could only open the trunk with the key manually.

That is, the remote key fob didn't work.

But there was nothing wrong with the key itself.

This may or may not be your problem, but, before you break open your key, why not look at your trunk loom.

- TRUNKLID OPEN, LICPLATE LIGHT, and other trunk wiring loom woes ...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM
****ie w/ my 528i

Mein Auto: 1999 528i w/ 16" wheels
Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:13 AM

There was a lot on the diamond key so I added this thread to a bestlink for the square key battery replacement ...
- How to replace the square key battery (1) (2) (3)

Last edited by bluebee; 10-11-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 AM

For cross reference, this old thread was resurrected today, which contains some nice battery-swapping photos for the diamond and square keys, by saint Q.
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > master key won't lock the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
If that's the case...I'd still look at the keys battery. You just listed TWO of the things that indicate the battery is not performing up to snuff:
  1. Doors don't lock
  2. red LED does not flash

...a 2016 battery can be picked up at Walmart, Radio Shack, local drug store, or the watch kiosk at the mall for a couple of dollars...just remember to buy the battery first then switch it out within 60 seconds so that you won't have to reinitialize the key

Or perhaps your button is worn and needs to be adjusted etc...IF you open your key to check the buttons from the inside...MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOSE THE TRANSPONDER/CHIP...it sits loose inside your "old style" key on the other side of the circuit board. If you remove the board to check the button operation...make sure that the little small chip doesn't fall out (you can see it circled in black in the 2nd image below). If it does...YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO START YOUR CAR. This has happened to at least 3-4 people over the past year on the various forums I read.

BTW...some early build models may use TW0 1220 batteries instead of the single 2016...so briefly removing the cover to check will prevent the purchase of the wrong battery.

(images below by: anncam/bimmerforums)

(if you remove the circuit board...don't lose the EWS transponder chip {circled in black} which sits loose inside the key down near the key blade)
See also:
- How to replace the old-style BMW E39 square key battery (1) (2) (3) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the old style square keys (1) (2) & opening, charging, recoding, & battery replacement (1) of the new-style diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & how to recharge off your BMW and how long a BMW key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & converting the old-style square key to the newer diamond shaped key (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & proper diamond key initializing (1) (2) & what to do if your key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 AM

For the record, this old-style key thread popped up today:
-> another key thread

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 PM

I took the liberty of modifying the pictures in this thread, and from others, to create this composite informative picture, so that others benefit from every action.

See also:
- How to replace the old-style BMW square key battery (1) (2) & how to replace the rubber key pads in the square keys (1) (2) & what the red LED indicates on the old square key (1) & what can go wrong with a key and where to send it for repair (1) (2) (3) (4) & what battery to use in the new style 2000+ BMW E39, E46, E53, E85, etc. diamond key (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & youtube videos of diamond key repairs (1) (2) (3) & a square key to diamond key retrofit and transponder swap (1) (2) (3) (4) & diamond key to square key retrofit questions (1) & how to recharge your key out of your BMW and how long that key will last in the drawer before it needs that off-the-car recharging (1) & the details on swapping the BMW diamond key transponder (1) & the proper diamond key initializing or programming sequence (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & what to do if your only key is locked inside your bimmer (1) & a description of the various types of BMW Remote, Illuminated, Spare/Wallet, & Valet/Service keys (1) (2) & a list of diamond key EWS, FZV, & DWA functions (1) (2) & all about the 10-key limit to programming your own keys at home (1) & a description of the ignition key ISN (individual serial number) ten-second rule (1) & what to do if you lost your only diamond key (1) or what to do if your BMW key was stolen (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_various_key_batteries.jpg
Views:	7685
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	363880   Click image for larger version

Name:	transponder.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	363881   Click image for larger version

Name:	diamond.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	363882   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldsquarekeywithtwobatteries.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	363883  
Old 07-05-2014, 01:33 AM

This is potentially useful information from a thread today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Key FOB question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudl View Post
What does CR2016 mean:
C - Lithium battery
R - shape
20 - diameter in millimeters
16 - thickness in millimeters/10

Any power supply that has 3 Volts nominal will be fine for the key. However, in the three cases of key repair I have done, the problem was always the battery prongs losing contact with the board. The battery is heavy and eventually breaks free. I resoldered them and put a bit of padding on top. If you need to change the battery, reuse the prongs. Ask the battery shop to point solder them on the new battery for you.