Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750i
Question What happened to Comfort Seats?

My 2008 528i had 20-way Comfort Seats. When I look on the configurator, the 2011 model has the 18-way feature. What's missing?

Will the missing feature be available on the 2012 models? I'm considering ordering a 2012 528i, but hesitate to do so if the full Comfort Seat feature is not available and I cannot get a full description on the Internet.

Does anyone know where to get a full description of Comfort Seats on the 2012 5-Series?
Ads by Google
Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
There are lots of threads on this. I don't have the multi-contour seats, but I believe it's the adjustable upper side bolsters (backrest width) that are missing. If I'm wrong, sorry -- but that's what I recall from previous discussion. (someone else will chime in soon )

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 08-27-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
If so, personally, it is no loss. I never use them except to try them out every once in a while. That is presuming, of course, that the new seats have a good angle on the side bolsters.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfortier View Post
My 2008 528i had 20-way Comfort Seats. When I look on the configurator, the 2011 model has the 18-way feature. What's missing?

Will the missing feature be available on the 2012 models? I'm considering ordering a 2012 528i, but hesitate to do so if the full Comfort Seat feature is not available and I cannot get a full description on the Internet.

Does anyone know where to get a full description of Comfort Seats on the 2012 5-Series?
IF you care about that, then don't order. Its missing the side bolsters
they figured out that the US won't need any...
they really have the wrong opinion about us.

this is one of the strongest reasons I am thinking to ditch my 550i
a car should have proper seats. I am literally swimming on those seats.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
this is one of the strongest reasons I am thinking to ditch my 550i
a car should have proper seats. I am literally swimming on those seats.
Wow! First, I'm a small guy and I have the standard seats and find no issue "swimming around" in them. Maybe you're tiny . All in all, I think both the standard and multi-contour seats are some of the most comfortable in any car.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Wow! First, I'm a small guy and I have the standard seats and find no issue "swimming around" in them. Maybe you're tiny . All in all, I think both the standard and multi-contour seats are some of the most comfortable in any car.
I have the multi- seats
now that you saythe standard are better I should have look on them
butI think mine came with the sport package.
If you want to see what proper seat means, try 3 series sports package or M3 or 2010 M5
Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Quote:
I am literally swimming on those seats.
I don't believe you.

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 08-27-2011, 09:49 AM

I have the comfort seats and they are fine for me. No side bolsters though and that would help. Drove a corvette a while back with side bolsters and that was quite a feeling! Also, I am a short (but handsome ) man and the seat height is just not as high as I would like it. Of the all the quirks mentioned here that's the one that nags me the most. Otherwise it's a fine machine and I'm really enjoying the driving experience.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
I have the comfort seats and they are fine for me. No side bolsters though and that would help. Drove a corvette a while back with side bolsters and that was quite a feeling! Also, I am a short (but handsome ) man and the seat height is just not as high as I would like it. Of the all the quirks mentioned here that's the one that nags me the most. Otherwise it's a fine machine and I'm really enjoying the driving experience.
Really? My wife is 5 ft 2 in and she has a comfortable height in the seat. I mean, you can practically elevate them far enough to put your head through the sunroof. I will say, I don't understand why the side bolsters aren't there in the US. If they have them in the e70 and the f01 then why not the f10
Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
If you want to see what proper seat means, try 3 series sports package or M3 or 2010 M5
Those are great seats...if you fit into them. Personally, I do not. They are just not built for my frame. I literally sit suspended on the bolsters with my back not touching the seat.

Having said that, the side bolsters in this car need more support....my V70R had better ones.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-27-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
Really? My wife is 5 ft 2 in and she has a comfortable height in the seat. I mean, you can practically elevate them far enough to put your head through the sunroof. I will say, I don't understand why the side bolsters aren't there in the US. If they have them in the e70 and the f01 then why not the f10
That's interesting I've got about 4 inches on her and neither my wife, son (who is 2 inches taller than me) feel the seats are high enough. When I measure from the top of my head to the roof line there is another 6 inches or more the seat could travel. I wonder if there is something wrong with my seat adjustment? Do you have sport package? Hmm - just gave me food for thought...
Old 08-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That's interesting I've got about 4 inches on her and neither my wife, son (who is 2 inches taller than me) feel the seats are high enough. When I measure from the top of my head to the roof line there is another 6 inches or more the seat could travel. I wonder if there is something wrong with my seat adjustment? Do you have sport package? Hmm - just gave me food for thought...
IF your seat cushion is all the way up and you still do not feel high enough, you are sitting too far reclined. Most people sit with the seat back too far reclined and / or the front of the cushion up too high.

Move the seat cushion all the way up, front and back. Now, bring the backrest forward while dropping the front cushion. It may feel weird to have the seat sloping forward, but that's much better for your back.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The seat height button is actually dual-function. Pull up on the rear part of that switch for overall seat height. The front part of that switch adjusts the bottom angle. Maybe you didn't raise the seat all the way up? I mean, you aren't going to see the whole hood, due to the design of the car. I'm 5'5" and I see part of the hood and have no general problem with seat height.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
That is presuming, of course, that the new seats have a good angle on the side bolsters.
That's the problem. I never use them either...except the first time.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
The seat height button is actually dual-function. Pull up on the rear part of that switch for overall seat height. The front part of that switch adjusts the bottom angle. Maybe you didn't raise the seat all the way up? I mean, you aren't going to see the whole hood, due to the design of the car. I'm 5'5" and I see part of the hood and have no general problem with seat height.
Yeah I've done that but still not quite as high as I would like. See well enough when driving down the road just feel myself pushing up too much to see when parking and manuevering in tight spaces. Not enough of an issue to be concerned but only car I've had since the teenage years that wasn't adjustable enough for optimum height.

(IF your seat cushion is all the way up and you still do not feel high enough, you are sitting too far reclined. Most people sit with the seat back too far reclined and / or the front of the cushion up too high.

Move the seat cushion all the way up, front and back. Now, bring the backrest forward while dropping the front cushion. It may feel weird to have the seat sloping forward, but that's much better for your back.)

Tried this too but still no better and not comfortable enough. Comfort seat lumbar and back support is great to fill those voids when reclining back. Good to hear I'm not the only one below 6 feet or so!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
I don't know if the 2012 F10 will have the 20 way seats, but I'm pretty sure the 2012 7-series has them.
2011 328i Convert
2012 E550 4Matic
Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Those are great seats...if you fit into them. Personally, I do not. They are just not built for my frame. I literally sit suspended on the bolsters with my back not touching the seat.

Having said that, the side bolsters in this car need more support....my V70R had better ones.
So your frame maybe better with an F10 then..
I always thought since I was a child that 3, 5 and 7 series exist for taller and taller and taller people
Old 08-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07X3platinum View Post
I don't know if the 2012 F10 will have the 20 way seats, but I'm pretty sure the 2012 7-series has them.
If the 2012 has the side bolsters I will literally trade the 11 550 for a proper 2012 and I
will be ready to take the trade 'hit' with a smile

But my thoughts are all around the M5 lately
Old 08-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
i don't believe you.
+1.

2014 550i xDrive, M Sport, Carbon Black, Mocha Nappa Leather/Anthracite, DHP, Executive Pkg , CWP, Lighting, Luxury seating, Side and Top View camera, Sunshades (11/2013 build)

--------------------
2012 X5 xDrive50i (wife)
2011 550i xDrive M Sport (retired)
2008 X5 4.8 (retired)
2008 550i M Sport (retired)
2005 545i (retired)
Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
So your frame maybe better with an F10 then..
I always thought since I was a child that 3, 5 and 7 series exist for taller and taller and taller people
Realistically, my frame fits best in an F01 or perhaps a minivan.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
IF you care about that, then don't order. Its missing the side bolsters
they figured out that the US won't need any...
they really have the wrong opinion about us.
Was a big fan of the side bolsters as well! Loved the tight squeeze to keep you from moving around. Miss them for sure.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massyman View Post
Was a big fan of the side bolsters as well! Loved the tight squeeze to keep you from moving around. Miss them for sure.
And it is not only about the squeeze you can set them without squeezing you much
but there is also the major issue of safety. Side bolsters keep your body in proper ergonomic position at all times. With those seats one time I did 6 hours non-stop drive and felt like 2!
(not recommended for health reasons to do this but I was on an emergency)
Try to do that without side bolsters
You don't want to be slipping around on the wrong position even if you are huge.
It is definitely not a safe thing.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Side bolsters keep your body in proper ergonomic position at all times. With those seats one time I did 6 hours non-stop drive and felt like 2!
And this is a bad thing???
Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Coming from a 2008 535xi, I did miss the side bolsters at first. I didn't adjust them much if at all after the first time, but I did notice the looser fitting 550 F10 seats on the day of switch over. I can now say though that I don't feel that I'm swimming or anything else, even on relatively hard turns. I'd prefer to have them, but I'm not thinking about it much if at all. It's hard to understand why they were pulled out, but there are just too many great new additions to get hung up on this one.

Retired: 2008 E60 535xi Jet Black, Black Dakota | Sport | Cold Weather | Navigation, Voice | PDC | Logic 7 | Sat | Fold Down Rear Seats | Comfort Access | Multiple Retired HPFPs
Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
I am putting together my order sheet for a new 2012 F10. My '06 530I was just totaled after hitting a mobile scooter on the freeway. The 20-way multi function comfort seats were great in the 530I. Being slim, I appreciated being able to adjust the side bolsters. What a shame they did away with them. Oh well. I will be adding the luxury seating option ($2400) so with the added benefits of that option I may not miss the adjustable side bolsters.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, 5% Tint Rear - 35% Tint Front - 50% Tint Windshield - BlackVue DR400G-HD II Dash Cam

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)