Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: E39 535i, E39 525i Tour
Just done one side.

A proper bitch of a job, taken nearly two days.

Every bolt might as well have been concreted.

Couldn't get the strut to move, so had to use a shallow socket on the top forward bolt.

Eventually had to cut the bolt off.

I really hope the other side is 45 mins.

I've aged ten years.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Bob View Post
Just done one side.

A proper bitch of a job, taken nearly two days.

Every bolt might as well have been concreted.

Couldn't get the strut to move, so had to use a shallow socket on the top forward bolt.

Eventually had to cut the bolt off.

I really hope the other side is 45 mins.

I've aged ten years.
Spray some lubricant on the strut and break out the sledgehammer. Use a piece of 2x4" between the knuckle and sledgehammer. Sledgehammer will get it moving guaranteed.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 520i Auto
Hello forum,

I found this thread from google search and found it very helpful, the strange thing is what people are calling the problem bolt on the top that is tight wasn't the problem bolt on my E39 520. The bolt was tight but with a 3/8" fitting on the ratchet I got it in ok, the problem bolt for me was the bottom one on the same side as the top your calling the problem bolt. This bottom bolt is impossible to get a socket on to it, the control arm or ball joint nut is in the way along with the bottom of shock in the way. In the end after some thought I cracked it, I purchased a deep offset 18mm ring spanner, when I got the spanner the ring part was too deep so I had to grind approx 1/8" off the spanner depth to get it in. I have not taken the bearing off yet but I have loosened all 4 bolts with success and then retightened them up.

Now that i'm confident the bolts will come off i'll order the bearing, but when I refit it i'm certainly not going to use locktite, but i'll use copper slip and torque them up to 100 Nm
Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530d
You've the hard part done Turv.
I think on sport models. The bottom of the shock/strut is further down.
It interferes with getting a socket or spanner on that bottom bolt also.
Now I may be wrong.
My car is sport model. However the seller swapped out the rotten coilovers that were fitted.
He then fitted what he thought were sport/MTech shock&springs.
I think they were SE items. As the car sat high in the front in my opinion.
You'll have great self satisfaction when you do fit the new bearing.
I did.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Hi splitbus,

My 520i is a SE auto model, so maybe thats why, like you mention. I was messing around with the brakes because I have never ever took any apart before, but fancy a go after seeing many youtube video's. The first thing I did was try and take out the wear sensor and snapped it so the brake pad warning light was on. I joined the wires together by crimping them after cutting off the 90 bend that pushes in the caliper. Put the key to position one and the light still on, any way I sorted it in the end for some reason my auto needs to be in neutral when turning the key to position 1, the light is off now.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Just been trying to source the OEM bearing, I understand it is made by F.A.G? is this correct? because I have noticed alot of people moaning their ABS sensor warning light is coming on with cheap after-market bearings. Is there any where in the UK that supply the original OEM bearings? If so can you please provide the link.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525
Confirmed sears wrench doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
By eyeballing champaign's DIY special tool, I'd say it isn't.
I picked one up at sears and it does not fit. First, it needs to be shaved down as reported. Second, I don't believe it extends long enough to fit flush on the bolt. I tried to fit it on the other bolts and it just didn't seem to fit flush to get the maximum torque you'll need.

I have the Sachs struts too and it's more and more looking like that I'll have to lower the strut to get to the last bolt.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528
Beoch, I just replaced front bearings on my 97 528 with the Sachs strut. I followed Champain777 advice and purchased the offset metric wrench set at Harbor Frieght. The set was 15$. The 18 mm had to be ground down to fit as described by Champain777. But once you get it to slide past the strut, it will fit flush on the bottom front bolt. This is the only bolt you need this offset wrench for. It won't fit flush on the others but you don't need it for them. The two rear bolts are easy to get to with sockets. The top front bolt can be accessed with an 18 mm socket and short 3/8 drive extension. A half inch socket and extension probably wont work.
It does take about an hour to get the bottom front bolt out as the locktite forces you to wrench it out all the way pully the bearing out as you go so you can move the offset wrench around. Give your self 4 hours including cleanup. I chose this route over lowering the knuckle because i was worried about alignment and problems described in this thread on getting the pinch bolt out and knuckle to move. My original front bearings lasted 262K miles but one was starting to sound like a roller skate.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 99 528i Wagon
I replaced both my front wheel bearings this weekend and this is my solution to the Sachs strut problem. What I did was turn the wheel so the front bolts are exposed and locked the wheel. Marked the position of the strut with a paint marker. I then loosened the strut clamp and proceeded to use a crow bar to push the strut up using progressively larger impact sockets underneath to push the strut completely clear of the trouble bolt. I recommend doing the trouble bolt first as the strut might come down while loosening the bolt. Once all the bolts are out put the new hub in. Tighten the rear bolts and with the strut out of the way you are able to properly torque the front ones. Do not move the position of the steering wheel to put the rear bolts on there is room to get them tight. Once the front bolts are properly torqued take your jack to the lower control arm and raise it up to get the strut back in place. Everything should line up perfectly. If you raise it past your mark simply pry/push the strut back up and try again. Once the strut is in place simply torque the bolts down again. You are now free to move the steering wheel to torque down the rear bolts.

I don't know if this will be frowned upon, but it worked without damaging the strut or messing up the alignment. Just DO NOT unlock your steering wheel while the strut is loose and everything stays in perfect alignment. This fixed my noise issue and as a reward I put on a set of much needed Continential DWS tires.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
It only goes back one way... It doesnt mater if the steering is moved..

there is also a left and a right..

There is no adjustment in the alighment on the strut..
Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: E39 528, 540
I will be replacing my bearing soon. The car is already on jack stands. Anyone have the modified socket or wrench that I can borrow in San Jose, CA?