Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
ANY MEMBERS FROM EUROPE with side bolsters?

I am reposting this here for European fellas,

any european forum members who have their side bolsters seats (i.e.: multi contour seats with 20 DOF)
and not 18.
can you give as your last 7 of your VIN?

PLEAAAAAZZZZZZ!!!?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:47 PM
BimmerUKF10 BimmerUKF10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 432
Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Sent PM
__________________
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
You must really want those bolsters because ordering a seat is going to be SPENDY.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:52 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You must really want those bolsters because ordering a seat is going to be SPENDY.
not more than getting hit hard when I trade for another car...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:54 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
Sent PM
Ok Great thanks,
I will be locating the part No. and post it here for the people who are interested.
I wonder how much$ the whole driver seat costs!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 PM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,328
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Are you doing this just for fun or are you still undecided if you will get rid of the F10?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Are you doing this just for fun or are you still undecided if you will get rid of the F10?
The question is whether or not I am happy if I keep 550i as a second car.
(M3 is already on the way)
For me to be happy with what I paid,
I need to have side bolsters and capitalize my hope on Dinan
that they will offer suspension and steering programming at some point.
If I get those I am happy.
I haven't had any other issues.

If Dinan doesn't come up with anything serious this car will be traded next year or something..
in that way the money I'd get hit if I trade now will be similar with that time of next year
if I keep low miles.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2011, 07:09 PM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,328
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Got it, there was another reader here who handed the F10 to his wife and bought himself an E60.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Got it, there was another reader here who handed the F10 to his wife and bought himself an E60.
problem is she doesn't do manual...+she claims she is hard-wired not to learn it
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,571
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
The question is whether or not I am happy if I keep 550i as a second car.
(M3 is already on the way)
For me to be happy with what I paid,
I need to have side bolsters and capitalize my hope on Dinan
that they will offer suspension and steering programming at some point.
If I get those I am happy.
I haven't had any other issues.

If Dinan doesn't come up with anything serious this car will be traded next year or something..
in that way the money I'd get hit if I trade now will be similar with that time of next year
if I keep low miles.
You should hold on till March and trade for an M5. You can use ED to minimize the hit.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,328
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
You should hold on till March and trade for an M5. You can use ED to minimize the hit.
Or instead of "minimizing" the hit to ~$40k out of pocket to an M5 you could let your wife choose something in a range that would inflict zero out of pocket $$$ since once you get your M3 you will likely not want to drive anything else.

Last edited by solstice; 08-29-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
not more than getting hit hard when I trade for another car...
Since the seat is a part number that the computer will not recognize, I think this is a futile effort.

I was told by the Shop Foreman at my local dealer that pretty much every electronic part that has any kind of connection to the CAN (not sure if they have CAN in this car or some other system) has a part number that's registered with the computer. If the computer does not recognize the part number, it will indicate a fault and the part will not work.

The key here is that the part number is specifically coded to the software load on your particular VIN. In other words, the total "build" knows what options you have on your car and which you not. So just because a part is specific to the F10 does not make it able to be plug and play. It has to be specific to your car.

Because the seat is very integrated into the system for airbag deployment (both from the front airbag deployment rate as well as whether or not to trigger the seat-mounted side airbag), the system very much is looking for the part number of that seat. If you swap it out, you will probably at the very least get errors and may not even get the seat to power up and move.

If I am understanding what he is saying, you would essentially have to have a custom software load build for your car that indicated the "new" part number was to be found in the system. That software is written by BMW, not the shop. So purchasing a Euro seat means you'd probably end up with a very expensive office chair.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Or instead of "minimizing" the hit to ~$40k out of pocket to an M5 you could let your wife choose something in a range that would inflict zero out of pocket $$$ since once you get your M3 you will likely not want to drive anything else.
hmm..you so confident about it huh... you sound like a prophet or something
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The key here is that the part number is specifically coded to the software load on your particular VIN. In other words, the total "build" knows what options you have on your car and which you not. So just because a part is specific to the F10 does not make it able to be plug and play. It has to be specific to your car.
.
you probably right but I heard a similar story from the dealer before when I inquire about
another car's shifter.
but then I was able to get the shifter that was not part of my car config. by giving him
the last 7 of the other car -- not mine.

The key is to 'pretend' that your last seven digits are the ones who have adj. side bolsters
for real. Then you order and install. It comes from Germany and take many weeks sometimes. It is also non-refundable...

Now the issue with the software maybe a real challenge though...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
you probably right but I heard a similar story from the dealer before when I inquire about
another car's shifter.
but then I was able to get the shifter that was not part of my car config. by giving him
the last 7 of the other car -- not mine.

The key is to 'pretend' that your last seven digits are the ones who have adj. side bolsters
for real. Then you order and install. It comes from Germany and take many weeks sometimes. It is also non-refundable...

Now the issue with the software maybe a real challenge though...
Yes, my point was not about obtaining said seats, but having them function as something more than a fixed throne in your car. Which might negate the whole point of active bolsters in the first place...
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:12 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
a fixed throne in your car...
I love the term 'throne' they do actually look like that
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms