Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:09 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick330i
Leave it to a USC guy to resurrect something that is 3 years old. Seriously, I guess McKenna really sucks, huh? Welcome to the Fest!
Hehe, though the times change, it's good to know some things are still the same

I think we could resurrect this thread again in 5 years and we'll still know which dealer not to go to.
Photo gallery
Old 07-26-2005, 08:36 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick330i
Leave it to a USC guy to resurrect something that is 3 years old. Seriously, I guess McKenna really sucks, huh? Welcome to the Fest!
Uh...yeah. See SC gives you the business sense to think on yer feet, rather than the ability to weave baskets .......

And methinks it a girl....................(godess?)

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:39 PM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP, 06 CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Uh...yeah. See SC gives you the business sense to think on yer feet, rather than the ability to weave baskets .......

And methinks it a girl....................(godess?)
That would be correct.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330pp
Yup McKenna is one of the most cockiest auto centers I've ever been to. The only reason I go there is because its the closest bmw dealer to me for service. And I'm kinda cool with two of the SA's there(sadly after a little a$$ kissing ).
Isn't is sadly ironic... you want/need your car serviced and you need to kiss their asses to get it done.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro
I think we could resurrect this thread again in 5 years and we'll still know which dealer not to go to.
Make that plural... (Savage)

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK
Back in '99 my sis was considering a P-car. Went to McKenna and the sales guy wouldn't tell us the asking price for a used one on the showroom floor. After about 15 minutes, we said f-this p-car crap and she left. Ended up buy a MBZ over the phone from Fletcher Jones.
Buddy of mine gave up his MB because he hated Fletcher Jones' service department. I got him into a 330ci, but I don't know how much of a dealer upgrade he got as he bought from Irvine BMW.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
Well, here I am three years later and I can't say that I've had a bad experience at McKenna. I used to take my 2005 525i there for maintenance. Never had a problem. I worked with a guy named Terry in the service department who seems to be very experienced, knowledgable and honest. He told me he left there a year or so ago because he couldn't get along with the Service Manager. After the Service Manager was replaced, he returned to McKenna. Maybe that was the problem. Whenever I have a problem, I always call Terry first. He always seems to steer me in the right direction.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 09-07-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:52 PM
gashlycrumb

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
I got my car at Irvine. I knew a sales manager so I was treated with respect and got a fair price.

If/when I get another BMW I will certainly give Cutter a shot. They are about 100 miles North of me, but for what Jon does for the BMW community it would be worth the drive!

Santa Barbara ain't a bad place to make a weekend trip to either!:thumb:
Irvine, Long Beach, and Shelly are owned by the same guy. They're hit-and-miss.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 750i, x5 4.6is, E46 M3
I just purchase my 750i at Long Beach BMW and the service was great...
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i ED w/ sport pkg
I may be misinformed but I believe Long Beach BMW is owned by the Autry (sp?) family and has been for many many years. There is not coowneship with the other dealers mentioned.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
BMW

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw521 View Post
I may be misinformed but I believe Long Beach BMW is owned by the Autry (sp?) family and has been for many many years. There is not coowneship with the other dealers mentioned.
Long Beach BMW sold their franchise to Sonic Automotive Inc.
SAI owns Long Beach BMW/Mini, BMW/Mini of Monrovia(formerly Assael BMW) and Beverly Hills BMW.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
BMW

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by milobloom242 View Post
Irvine, Long Beach, and Shelly are owned by the same guy. They're hit-and-miss.
Shelly Automotive Group owns Shelly BMW and Irvine BMW/Mini not Long Beach.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW_BMW View Post
Long Beach BMW sold their franchise to Sonic Automotive Inc.
SAI owns Long Beach BMW/Mini, BMW/Mini of Monrovia(formerly Assael BMW) and Beverly Hills BMW.
Speaking of BMW of Monrovia... terrible CPO sales department. Awful. Too long of a story, but nutshell version, I was in there looking at a 2005 325ci, did a test drive, asked to see the CPO checklist. They couldn't find it. After literally 20+ minutes, I said, how about the maintenance/service history then? So they hunt that down, find it, but can't get it printed out of the computer. Finally they do, but the sales guy has disappeared (who has ADD and wasn't around much anyway), and as I'm reviewing the record with someone else, I see him leave for a test drive with a new customer. 10 minutes later he's back and says "The car's just been sold." What?? What an a**hole.

No, "Hey man, this other guy's interested in the car, what do you want to do since you were here before him?" Nothing. Just "The car's sold."

I wrote an email letter to the dealership (which got no response of course), but also sent a snail mail letter to Michael Antzas, presumably the manager of this dealership. No return response. No apology. Guess they don't give a sh*t about the $26k+ I was ready to spend there, in a bad economy. I'll never go back there.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer View Post
Speaking of BMW of Monrovia... terrible CPO sales department. Awful. Too long of a story, but nutshell version, I was in there looking at a 2005 325ci, did a test drive, asked to see the CPO checklist. They couldn't find it. After literally 20+ minutes, I said, how about the maintenance/service history then? So they hunt that down, find it, but can't get it printed out of the computer. Finally they do, but the sales guy has disappeared (who has ADD and wasn't around much anyway), and as I'm reviewing the record with someone else, I see him leave for a test drive with a new customer. 10 minutes later he's back and says "The car's just been sold." What?? What an a**hole.

No, "Hey man, this other guy's interested in the car, what do you want to do since you were here before him?" Nothing. Just "The car's sold."

I wrote an email letter to the dealership (which got no response of course), but also sent a snail mail letter to Michael Antzas, presumably the manager of this dealership. No return response. No apology. Guess they don't give a sh*t about the $26k+ I was ready to spend there, in a bad economy. I'll never go back there.
++1.

I would never ever buy a BMW from Assael BMW, or whatever they call themselves now in Monrovia. Last December I contacted their Internet Department ready to pay cash for a 2008 528i. The Internet Sales Manager refused to discuss or quote me a price on a car I found in their inventory. He was very condescending and insisted I come to the dealership. He was obviously having a bad day, perhaps because he was not selling any cars. I subsequently contacted New Century BMW in Alhambra and was treated like royalty by their Sales personnel. Later that day I went to their dealership, upgraded to a 2008 535i and drove it off the lot.

Needless to say, Assael threw my business away. New Century BMW earned it!! I hope someone from Assael reads these forums to find out what a lousy sales job they really do, and get rid of that poor excuse for an Internet Sales Manager unless they have done so already!!!

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 09-14-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy2008 View Post
Needless to say, Assael threw my business away. New Century BMW earned it!! I hope someone from Assael reads these forums to find out what a lousy sales job they really do, and get rid of that poor excuse for an Internet Sales Manager unless they have done so already!!!
Based on my experience there a month ago, I highly doubt it! Who knows, maybe they sell tons of cars, even when we're in a recession?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Stay away from McKenna. Went to get a 550i and the guy had the nerves to ask me if I could really afford the car. (so, I look young, but he knew I had leased 3 bimmers before this one) Then after wasting my time getting all my info, he calls the sales manager (since the guy had no clue on OLP credit and other numbers) and the manager comes out and tells me that they don't want me as a client and I need to leave. (I'm not joking) Seems like I insulted him by asking him for OLP credit and nav credit that was available on 550i.
I have never been treated this way in all my years of buying cars. And, this after having bought my first bimmer from them and leased 3 bimmers so far. I was shocked to say the least.

I know a guy in mckenna service dept who is really cool and I TRY to go to him for any service related issues. But, since they don't offer any loaners, I always find myself going to Shelly, even though I have had issues with them in the past.

Are there any other dealerships that provide free loaners? (even if you didn't buy the car from them?)
Old 10-12-2008, 11:11 PM
@11Tenths

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peda330i View Post
Are there any other dealerships that provide free loaners? (even if you didn't buy the car from them?)
South Bay BWM, loaners and respect...
Old 10-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: e24M6, e34M5
Kudos to Crevier

My e34 M5 died. I had it towed to Shelly BMW, who said it needed a new DME computer at about $3,000, parts and labor.

So I towed it to Crevier, who found it needed a cam sensor and charged me $600 parts and labor!

Thank you Crevier.

Blunderbus
Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
sheriff of nothingham

Mein Auto: 08 m5
Quote:
Stay away from McKenna. Went to get a 550i and the guy had the nerves to ask me if I could really afford the car. (so, I look young, but he knew I had leased 3 bimmers before this one) Then after wasting my time getting all my info, he calls the sales manager (since the guy had no clue on OLP credit and other numbers) and the manager comes out and tells me that they don't want me as a client and I need to leave. (I'm not joking) Seems like I insulted him by asking him for OLP credit and nav credit that was available on 550i.
I have never been treated this way in all my years of buying cars. And, this after having bought my first bimmer from them and leased 3 bimmers so far. I was shocked to say the least.

I know a guy in mckenna service dept who is really cool and I TRY to go to him for any service related issues. But, since they don't offer any loaners, I always find myself going to Shelly, even though I have had issues with them in the past.

same experience with mckenna... never going to buy there.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbus View Post
My e34 M5 died. I had it towed to Shelly BMW, who said it needed a new DME computer at about $3,000, parts and labor.

So I towed it to Crevier, who found it needed a cam sensor and charged me $600 parts and labor!

Thank you Crevier.

Blunderbus
Sad to say, but I don't think this is unusual - My impression is that there is a wide range of talent of the service techs across all dealerships.
Photo gallery
Old 10-17-2008, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Christian915
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0
Crevier is the WORST!!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 02:42 AM
Professional Amateur

Mein Auto: 2005 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob37 View Post
South Bay BWM, loaners and respect...
Respect yes! Overall a good dealership, I received all my warranty service from them and would recommend their service dept to anyone. I did not buy my car from them, but the only way I got a loaner was if I made an appointment way in advance .... about a month in advance.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I've never purchased a car from McKenna. Based on the foregoing, I never will. However, I still say Terry Reames is the best SA in the So Cal San Gabriel Valley area. If you have a problem and you need service in this area, call Terry Reames at McKenna. He'll do you right!!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 328i
McKenna in Norwalk Will CHEAT you

Everyone, please be very becareful about this place. They are unethical, liars, and cheaters. They will try every tricks under the sun to cheat you. The salesperson I was working with is named Tim O'Brian. He gave me false informaton, padded the cost, and in general, try to confuse you. And its not just Tim, it seems like this attiude is shared by the sales & finance managers at McKenna. SAVE your money, and more importantly your time, and stay away from this place. But if you do come here, just be really careful on the numbers. They will say one thing, and then to try slip something else into the contract.

By the way, with specials from BMW during this holiday months. They will try to STEAL the BMW credit from you. Very, very, unethical place.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 550
Smile Jason G. and Noah were GREAT at McKenna BMW!

Thank you Jason G. and Noah from McKenna BMW! What an easy, honest and GREAT transaction on my Certified Pre-Owned BMW 550!! Thank you guys!!