Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Parking my X5 outside in the rain caused BIG problems

About six months ago I was visiting friends in New Jersey. My 2011 X5 5.0 (with about 2000 miles) was parked in their driveway all weekend and it rained heavily. On the way back to Manhattan, I drove down a steep hill and the transmission shifted into neutral shortly afterwards. I put it back in D and kept going. In Manhattan the car stalled and I restarted it and kept going. I got home and put it in a garage.

The next morning the car would not start. I called BMW assist and an hour later a totally unsuitable tow truck showed up. It was not a flat bed which the X5 needs and would not fit in the parking garage. After waiting another couple of hours a flat bed showed up with a second small vehicle to pull the car out of the Garage. They disengaged the parking brake manually but could not get the car into neutral. The 8 speed auto in the 20011s lacks an accessible manual override under the cup holders. The BMW assist sub-contractor eventually gave up. My dealer and BMW assist were eventually able to get BMW of Manhattan to send out a tech to go under the car and release the transmission. They got to the garage 24 hours later and the garage manager would not let them touch the car because I was not present. The following morning I met the BMW tech at the garage and he got the transmission into neutral by going under the car. It took another three hours to get another recovery crew from BMW assist. They sent a flat bed and second small truck.

Unfortunately the small truck was not powerful enough to tow the X5 up the ramp. It got part of the way there and could go no further. One guy put his foot on the foot brake while the other uncoupled the small truck and then backed up the flat bed as close as possible and used its winch to winch it on to the flat bed. He was unable to get the flat bed all the way up until he drove the truck back up the ramp onto the street. Finally, more than 48 hours later the X5 was on its way to BMW of Manhattan where it spent the next month. The DME and another computer had been destroyed by water. They didn't say where the water was coming from but about six weeks after I got the car back from BMW of Manhattan, I discovered scratches above a couple of the doors. I am guessing this happened when they were fixing the sun roof. Unfortunately I did not discover this when picking the car up from BMW of Manhattan.

Two things are quite disturbing about my experience.

1) They are still having issues with the panoramic sunroofs

2) You lose the computers in a BMW with the new 8 speed auto, you could be stranded for days.
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
That's quite a catastrophic chain of events. I cannot believe that BMW is eliminating the emergency AT-interlock release- it was the one saving grace when my dad's 2010 last all electrical power.

My dad says that with the recent rains, there was been some serious issues with the electronics in the driver's door, ranging from errant "door ajar" warnings, non-functioning switch panels, and a power window that would not roll up. Honestly I'm a bit surprised they haven't ironed out rain and electronics, since they never were such a huge issue on older BMWs.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Amazing! What a rube goldberg lash up to get your car out of that garage! That one could be filmed and used on a "Funniest Video Show". Surely there is a transmission release that can be accessed without a 48 hour delay and attendant on site BMW tech? Can this be the "suberb german engineering" we have all expected? The water in the computers is a serious problem that needs serious engineering help. For some reason parking on an incline seems to exacerbate this water leak problem. You mention you were parked in a driveway during the deluge, was it perhaps an incline of some degree? The good news is your garage attendant was smart enough not to let them touch your car without you present. Who knows what might have happened if this crew had been left on their own, Good luck and I wonder if the Esclades or Navigators have this problem!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
New York City. Say no more. Glad I moved out 30 years ago.

Lemon the car. You are over the 'days out of service' rule in New York, correct?

BMW of manhattan is owned and run by BMWNA.... they deserve to be abused.

ALWAYS inspect your car when you pick it up from a dealership....if it is dark, demand they pull it into a lit garage.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
New York City. Say no more. Glad I moved out 30 years ago.

Lemon the car. You are over the 'days out of service' rule in New York, correct?

BMW of manhattan is owned and run by BMWNA.... they deserve to be abused.

ALWAYS inspect your car when you pick it up from a dealership....if it is dark, demand they pull it into a lit garage.
The problem was more BMW than Manhattan.

Yes, should definitely have inspected the car outside (it was inside the BMW of Manhattan garage when I picked it up).

I did consider lemoning the car. However it was purchased used in CT and in CT the lemon law does not apply to used cars.

Last edited by adgrant; 09-17-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Amazing! What a rube goldberg lash up to get your car out of that garage! That one could be filmed and used on a "Funniest Video Show". Surely there is a transmission release that can be accessed without a 48 hour delay and attendant on site BMW tech? Can this be the "suberb german engineering" we have all expected? The water in the computers is a serious problem that needs serious engineering help. For some reason parking on an incline seems to exacerbate this water leak problem. You mention you were parked in a driveway during the deluge, was it perhaps an incline of some degree? The good news is your garage attendant was smart enough not to let them touch your car without you present. Who knows what might have happened if this crew had been left on their own, Good luck and I wonder if the Esclades or Navigators have this problem!
With the 8 speed transmission in the 2011's (and X3's and 5s and 7s), only a BMW tech can release the transmission. BMW roadside assist cannot. That was why it took 48 hours.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
The 8 speed auto in the 20011s lacks an accessible manual override under the cup holders. The BMW assist sub-contractor eventually gave up. My dealer and BMW assist were eventually able to get BMW of Manhattan to send out a tech to go under the car and release the transmission.
Sorry to hear ... sounds painful. I checked my 2012 35i and notice that the "releasing tool" as BMW calls it, to get the transmission into neutral is not there under the cargo area. I don't see the procedure to get the car into neutral manually outlined in the 2012 manual either. I suppose this explains why. This much trouble to get the tranny into neutral ... frankly this is "over engineered" and just plain stupid. I know the tranny is designed/manufactured by ZF but come on ... BMW is the one delivering the final product to the consumer! Luckily, this did not happen while you were out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM
James Bond -007

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 650XI M Sport
I've never searched for this particular item, so feel free to slap me for not searching first (I usually always search first).

Ok... So I come home from work one day and my daughter has the driveway full of friends cars. So I park at the end of the driveway, but want to make sure I'm not over the sidewalk AT ALL as the local Police are good about ticketing cars parked over the sidewalk.

So I've pulled the majority of the way into driveway, X5 obviously in Drive, so I open the drivers door a little bit to crawl up the driveway about another 2 feet to make sure I'm off the sidewalk.

Much to my surprise, SLAM! the car shifts itself into Park without any warning whatsoever. I could not figure out how to "jockey" the X5 around with the drivers door open just a tad, to see where I was at in the driveway.

Anyone run across this as well. After reading this, it made me think of this so I figured I'd ask.

-Thanks
Old 09-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^ yes, one of those 'nanny features' ..like auto lock doors, lane warnings, softclose doors, etc, etc..
Old 09-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
BMW007,

I understand that you can bypass the auto park when the door is open by putting a little pressure on the brake pedal before it goes into park.

Chuck
Old 09-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWOO7 View Post
Much to my surprise, SLAM! the car shifts itself into Park without any warning whatsoever. I could not figure out how to "jockey" the X5 around with the drivers door open just a tad, to see where I was at in the driveway.
As ard mentioned, your car is suppose to do this. The same thing happened to me as well. A very stupid "feature" but I'll cut BMW some slack just in case it was something the legal team may have mandated.

Last edited by gcaa; 09-18-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
My '05 E53 sunroof was repaired twice and replaced once. The tech told me to avoid parking on an incline or outside during heavy rain...
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by caden View Post
My '05 E53 sunroof was repaired twice and replaced once. The tech told me to avoid parking on an incline or outside during heavy rain...
WTF? Dont park outside in heavy rain???? thats like saying dont use your surfboard in salt water. Dont place your cooking pot on a gas flame. Unacceptable. Cars "live" outdoors in most instances.
Other makes of vehicle have Panoramic Sunroof without the need to be stored in showroom,climate controlled environment during "weather".

Last edited by Dano18; 09-19-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano18 View Post
WTF? Dont park outside in heavy rain???? thats like saying dont use your surfboard in salt water. Dont place your cooking pot on a gas flame. Unacceptable. Cars "live" outdoors in most instances.
Other makes of vehicle have Panoramic Sunroof without the need to be stored in showroom,climate controlled environment during "weather".
Yes, its quite absurd that $60k+ SUV would be disabled for over a month because it was parked in the rain and would require dealer techs to make the car moveable.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Anyone run across this as well. After reading this, it made me think of this so I figured I'd ask.[/SIZE]
-Thanks
Its working as intended. Of course if it had then rained, you would have risked trapping all your daughters friends at your house if your electronics were flooded.

BTW both your cars have the same transmission as mine I believe.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by caden View Post
Did you tell him to shove it? And did you call the dealership after you drove their new car out of their lot that the check is gonna bounce?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /

Last edited by 0428; 09-19-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Did you tell him to shove it? And did you call the dealership after you drove their new car out of their lot that the check is gonna bounce?

Actually the opposite happened, they shoved me out from the dealer--telling me the 4th repair will be charged in full. The first two were under warranty and the replacement was the dealer's benevolent act. Ironically, another tech from the same dealer told me not to drive "spirited" or in the automanual mode with my former 535i after the 2nd HPFP was replaced....
Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
All I know is your stealership is walking all over you and you are just taking it....... I would be on the speakerphone with BMWNA corporate with the stealership's owner right then and there.

Did they not tell you to not post about these issues on the internet....... damn just wait till they find this thread tonight!

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
All I know is your stealership is walking all over you and you are just taking it....... I would be on the speakerphone with BMWNA corporate with the stealership's owner right then and there.

Did they not tell you to not post about these issues on the internet....... damn just wait till they find this thread tonight!
I was probably mercifully treaded on by the dealer; fortunately, I didn't have to shell out a single clam for all the repairs and replacements on both the E53 and E60...just mucho unconstructive time spent over the phone and at the shop--although the free donuts and coffee weren't bad either. To be fair, the dealer was pliable and did what they could to mitigate these issues--issues which they technically inherited from down South. All and all the experience wasn't totally parasitic, IMO.
OT, how normal is it to replenish the beast with 1 Qt. of oil every 4-5K miles?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Keep you seat belt on!

Quote:

Anyone run across this as well. After reading this, it made me think of this so I figured I'd ask.

-Thanks
BMW007, you can get past this "nanny" feature by keeping your seat belt on while you're backing up with the door open.