Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
I'm mad.

I just came out of Walmart today and found someone peeled the badge off my hood.

What kind of scumbag does this kind of thing these days.

Anyone know what's the cost to get a new one of these things?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
I park as far away as possible, even when it is raining out, so sh---- like this dont happen to me again.
Yes, especially at Wal-Mart. Luckily the shade trees are at the 'far' spaces at the Wal-Mart that I frequent.

Oh, also at any store in San Antonio you can't park anywhere near a cart corral (near or far). Launching the carts from across the parking lot must be a sport there or something. Its not a problem in Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Bliss View Post
This wouldn't have happened at Target!!!
Oh man, I had possession of my car for 9 days before someone at Target put a gigantic scratch and ding at chest-height on the driver rear quarter panel of my X6. Worst parking lot damage I've ever had. I have 'pop out the ding' insurance from my dealer, so it was fixed for free, but the remnants of the scratch are still there. It was a 8" scratch that ended in a dent and no one could figure out how it possibly happened because it was so high (me, dealer, friends, body shop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I just found out my collision deductible was $1,000. So I lowered it to $250 and added rental coverage (I didn't even realize I didn't have it)
I learned the hard way many years ago to make my deductible as low as possible and my rental coverage as high as possible (I was in an 'insurance' rental for 2 months once); I didn't know that you could change the amount that they'll pay for the rental car -- NOW I do and I gladly pay it. When you back one of your cars (an X5) into the other (a Volvo), then, when the car that wasn't totaled (the X5) is being fixed, they're also fixing front-end damage from an 'I'm at fault rear-ender', you have to pay 3x the deductible. (it was $0 on one car and $250 on the other, so that wasn't so bad... $3k would have been painful). The 60-days of daily-overage on the rental was painful.

That repair bill was over $10k and the car didn't look that bad -- obviously because I was driving around with the front end damage for a while -- I had bent the hood (pretty much) back in place myself and covered the scratch on the bumper with a paint repair stick. On the rear, there was a little wrinkle under the driver tail light (the entire ginormous rear quarter panel had to be replaced) and the hatch was out of alignment. The Volvo however: My X5 rear driver corner hit at about the passenger B pillar on the Volvo. It smashed into a tree just forward of the driver B pillar and the front corner hit my garage. Almost ever surface of the car was damaged except the rear driver quarter panel, trunk and rear bumper. The X5 looked like someone had looked at it funny. German engineering won out over Swedish engineering! Ok, so I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if the tree weren't there... Yes, let's blame it all on the tree .
Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
I agree with all of this, but I would argue that the people who vandalize BMWs are not "have nots." In my experience classist hatred is strongest among those who despise achievement, but disguise their jealousy in terms of "social justice" and purport to act on behalf of the "have nots," the environment or some esoteric creed of egalitarianism.
ORRRR -- the young and stupid that run in packs and have nothing better to do? I've had the most 'pranks' done to my car at a movie theater parking lot.

The most humorous (at least to them probably): Saturday afternoon a few years ago in our college town and I was parked in BFE. When my son and I came out of our movie, a clunker was parked so close to my driver side that our mirrors overlapped. There was no earthly way that they could have not done that on purpose. After I managed with great effort to get in the car, I rolled down my window and 'accidentally' put some left over chocolate on their roof (Summer. Texas. Probably 103 outside. Oh ya.) Its gotta be interesting to come out to your car with no one within 50 spaces and find chocolate on your roof. Incredibly precise Angry birds perhaps? Heh.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I'm mad.

I just came out of Walmart today and found someone peeled the badge off my hood.

The same thing happened to me, and I originally thought someone pealed it off. However, upon closer inspection, it was the Louisiana heat causing the adhesive to loosen up. If you still have warranty, this is covered.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Barb, the "Swedish engineering" actually performed like it was supposed to. It sacrificed the car for the safety of the occupants with its designed "crush zones" and solid "safety cage". You can repair/replace a car but repairing humans is not all that easy. I wouldn't knock the swedes for that.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Mmmmmm…

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dubmobile View Post
The same thing happened to me, and I originally thought someone pealed it off. However, upon closer inspection, it was the Louisiana heat causing the adhesive to loosen up. If you still have warranty, this is covered.
Loosen up and fall out?

I doubt warranty would buy that in my instance; there are clear scratch marks where the hood emblem was, indicating prying; not to mention it was no more than 75F and raining, so couldn't have been heat. Though, I will ask.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
...or just trade in the ubiquitous X5 for a Blue Opal and your Wal-mart quandary is never more....
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 09-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
Quote:
I'm mad.

Have you tried talking to your dealer? My rear badge was also maliciously hijacked by some unscrupulous degenerate a few weeks back. I called the sales GM at my dealer and a new badge was ordered without any charges.
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I don't mean to hijack the thread but is this badge just a sticker or a metal type thing. I saw a 6 series in So. Cal. this weekend and it had a back/white combo logo and looked really good.

How easy is it to change the logo?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
I'm mad.

Patrol the local streets for a Honda/BMW hybrid, seriously! Pilot with X5 badge etc........

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but is this badge just a sticker or a metal type thing. I saw a 6 series in So. Cal. this weekend and it had a back/white combo logo and looked really good.

How easy is it to change the logo?
It's a stick on
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Some no load took it to replace their car wash ruined roundel. At least they aren't hanging around the necks of wannabe hippies like the "stars" are.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Mmmmmm…

I managed to pick one up at my local dealership for $25. I didn't feel like hassling the sales manager, etc.; just wanted a new badge.

I'd love the patrol the streets 0428, but the Walmart is like 10 miles away, so that would be a big search radius.

Anyways, turns out my old badge wasn't glued on at all, what looked like glue was actually pieces of my paint having been chipped off by the whoever did the prying. New one was easy to put on with the grommets and all.

Speaking of car washes, the freaking high powered air dryers managed to break off and out both of my rear bump reflectors. Luckily the car wash guys found them the next time I went and I put them back in.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: JB 335i Coupe
My insignia got ice under it in the winter and flaked off...only about $36 bucks to replace. I'm sure you could do it yourself for less cost, though.

Get your car keyed...logo stolen...etc....but the #1 REASON not to go to Walmart...

You might run into...you read right...Mr. Ghetto. I'll keep my e92 away. Far far away.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by creamclean View Post
My insignia got ice under it in the winter and flaked off...only about $36 bucks to replace. I'm sure you could do it yourself for less cost, though.

Get your car keyed...logo stolen...etc....but the #1 REASON not to go to Walmart...

You might run into...you read right...Mr. Ghetto. I'll keep my e92 away. Far far away.
!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Mmmmmm…

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamclean View Post

Holy crap!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
"Best" chicks at Walmart yeahhhh bro
I'd say best shoplifters or so called five finger discounters are in the house...
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)

Last edited by tol4o; 09-21-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: JB 335i Coupe
I'm sure many people got the five finger discount that day....what with the security guards distracted...