Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i xdrive wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
The danger is that what if this does not fix the issue? What if there are other issues not discovered and might show up later?

If he tries to fix the problem outside of the warranty at a indy shop but fails, would the dealers be happy to pick it up what is left and continue their warranty repair, or could they point fingers at the indy shop?
Then your suggestion is the poster spend $2k out of pocket assuming the dealer will not cover the costs? It APPEARS the damage is isolated to the area in the pictures, and if so, there certainly is a cheaper fix. You raise a good point about "what if this does not fix it". But are there any guarantees the $2k fix will work? Sux all the way around. I just hope for the OP the selling dealer of BMW covers the cost of the repair.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfox View Post
Then your suggestion is the poster spend $2k out of pocket assuming the dealer will not cover the costs? It APPEARS the damage is isolated to the area in the pictures, and if so, there certainly is a cheaper fix. You raise a good point about "what if this does not fix it". But are there any guarantees the $2k fix will work? Sux all the way around. I just hope for the OP the selling dealer of BMW covers the cost of the repair.
I did not suggest he spend that $2k. I posted my suggestion several times already, but the approach he is taking seems a good one too.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
So what finally came of this?

This **** is unbelievable!! They probably got the poor guy to pay 1500 or more for the CPO and now he's being given a run around......we wouldn't tolerate this for a $2000 TV! BMW should be ashamed!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by araina View Post
So what finally came of this?

This **** is unbelievable!! They probably got the poor guy to pay 1500 or more for the CPO and now he's being given a run around......we wouldn't tolerate this for a $2000 TV! BMW should be ashamed!
Some times we see this kind of threads all the sudden the OP disappears, this may actually be a sign some resolution is in the play and as a condition no more discussion of the matter in the open.

Hope this is the case.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: E-92
Thread seems to have died. Any updates from the OP?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 330i/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
Yep...based on the selling dealer's response alone, I'd go for a repurchase. To try and claim that a mouse jumped into the car while you drove it home is utterly ridiculous. The fact that they didn't see the wires had been chewed is another sign they didn't check the car all that thoroughly, either. Further, that repair won't cost them $2K. It's going to cost something much less than that given they would do it for much less (assuming the selling dealer works out a deal with the servicing dealer).

This is pretty cut and dry.

Good luck.
Concur, and gets some pics too in case you'll need them later . . . .
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Some times we see this kind of threads all the sudden the OP disappears, this may actually be a sign some resolution is in the play and as a condition no more discussion of the matter in the open.

Hope this is the case.
I hope so too.

I bought a Samsung LCD TV for $1800 in Feb 2008. In April 2011 it had a flickering problem which turns out to be a known/widespread issue with Samsung TVs based on poor quality of capacitors.

So Samsung recognized it had a problem and gave everyone a free tech roll out to their home to fix this issue at their own cost. THAT is what a responsive company does. And mind you the 1yr warranty ended in 2009 and the fix was delivered at their own cost, with no extended warranty purchased.

BMW sells cars that retail for around $40,000 lowest price. I'd expect much, much more from them in terms of customer service. And that's not seen here in how this customer has been treated.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i Sedan
Wow, this has been an interesting read. I've always thought a CPO BMW was a very good buy, but had never thought the short cuts that the dealers might take to certify them as a CPO car. It would be good to know what was the resolution to all this and the underlying cause of the service light.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Any updates? What was the resolution? Good to know that a CPO need not have to be a good buy.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335is
Never own a German car out of warranty.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Xerox, let me share my story with you. I will make it the cliff notes version. I purchased a 2011 335 out of my home state. I had a PPI and a friend who is an auto broker (advocate for buyer) inspect the car. No problems. I pull into my driveway and I hear a noise like a bad fanbelt. Take it to my hometown dealer (where I got my X5) and they diagnose a faulty rear main seal of crankshaft "bad from factory". I get it fixed for free under warranty. I pull out of the service center and BAM reduced power AGAIN. Take it back to them and long story short they said that there was no car that they couldn't fix. They fixed it and I have been smooth sailing ever since. The point is, the dealership where I service the car (not where I purchased the car) bent over backwards to correct the problem I had. If I was not under warranty still, I would have fought harder to lemon the car in the original state where I purchased it. As stated above, each state varies. Don't listen to Yeoman LOL you can totally own a German car out of warranty. This situation seems out of the bell curve of norm. Anyway, GL with it all.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
That is why more modest model, but new is a better option. Been there..
Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
Call the GM and express your opinion.. Tell them you were extremely mistreated on the account that you were never called back, that you wil never do business with them again, and that you have no problem expressing your opinion of that dealership to any potential buyers. If they don't budge, call BMWNA again..
Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubera View Post
Any updates? What was the resolution? Good to know that a CPO need not have to be a good buy.
Wow, way to dig up a one year old thread with the sole purpose of saying a CPO purchase isn't a good idea.

Oh. And welcome to Bimmerfest, since it appears that was your first post.

Last edited by andrew b; 09-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
Don't listen to Yeoman LOL you can totally own a German car out of warranty. This situation seems out of the bell curve of norm. Anyway, GL with it all.
Sure you can, but for the amount you spend on maintenance and repairs on a 5+ year old BMW, Audi, MB, etc you might as well buy new. Trust me, I've owned strictly German cars for the past 20 years and wouldn't have it any other way.

As far as out of the norm, every other thread on here is about some issue with a 2007 BMW, so that could be argued.

Last edited by Yeoman; 09-11-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
f**ing mice ate some of my wires $500 I now park .3- 1 mile away from my house rain or shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 View Post
That is why more modest model, but new is a better option. Been there..
new wont stop mice (i didn't read the whole thread if he's had other issues) also as he stated they had to rip the car apart over days to find it, so I'm not shocked if the other dealer couldn't find it. They should still pay for it though.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 09-11-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335ix E90 LCI M Sport
i hope everything works out for you bro!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Well regardless of the outcome, the selling dealership got some long lasting (1 year+) negative publicity on the internet, all for less than -$2k... Was it worth it?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
Wow, way to dig up a one year old thread with the sole purpose of saying a CPO purchase isn't a good idea.

Oh. A d welcome to. Bimmerfest, since it appears that was your first post.

Gotta love those newb necroposters...

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
The key is figuring out if the selling dealer in MO reset the SES light without checking it out. Doesn't the cars computer keep a record of when the light was reset? At minimum it should be the in vehicles service records. If you can prove this, then you have a case against the selling dealer in MO.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Hi All,

A long overdue update!

The issue was finally resolved to my satisfaction, although I was "out of pocket" for a few hundred dollars to BMW of Minnetonka. The selling dealership was not budging, regardless of my complaints with the BBB and AG's office in MO. It took BMW Corporate, which provided partial relief as part of a "good faith repair" and the dealership kicking up another portion. If I remember correctly, BMW and the dealership covered roughly 75% and I was in for 25%.

I will say that my calls to BMW in New Jersey were of little success. Supervisors were involved and provided little assistance, saying they could not push the dealer to do anything. Not being satisfied, I took my case to BMW's corporate Facebook page. Within 12 hours, someone from their corporate team in Germany got involved, and connected me with someone "much higher up" at their NJ office. Once that person was involved, it took a few weeks before the dealer finally cut a check, but it was clear that the pressure from their home office forced their hand. They did require me to drop my complaint with the AG's office, and close out my BBB complaint as resolved.

Do not discount the power of social media. The exposure is for all to see while a simple phone call/email is not.

Although a recent move to San Francisco forced the sale of this vehicle, my experience with BMW leaves the door open for future purchases. That being said, I will never step foot in a Suntrup dealership again. I would also caution others to avoid them at all costs.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Good to hear!!! Ill remember to fb them if I have an issue!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroxGuy View Post
Hi All,

A long overdue update!

The issue was finally resolved to my satisfaction, although I was "out of pocket" for a few hundred dollars to BMW of Minnetonka. The selling dealership was not budging, regardless of my complaints with the BBB and AG's office in MO. It took BMW Corporate, which provided partial relief as part of a "good faith repair" and the dealership kicking up another portion. If I remember correctly, BMW and the dealership covered roughly 75% and I was in for 25%.

I will say that my calls to BMW in New Jersey were of little success. Supervisors were involved and provided little assistance, saying they could not push the dealer to do anything. Not being satisfied, I took my case to BMW's corporate Facebook page. Within 12 hours, someone from their corporate team in Germany got involved, and connected me with someone "much higher up" at their NJ office. Once that person was involved, it took a few weeks before the dealer finally cut a check, but it was clear that the pressure from their home office forced their hand. They did require me to drop my complaint with the AG's office, and close out my BBB complaint as resolved.

Do not discount the power of social media. The exposure is for all to see while a simple phone call/email is not.

Although a recent move to San Francisco forced the sale of this vehicle, my experience with BMW leaves the door open for future purchases. That being said, I will never step foot in a Suntrup dealership again. I would also caution others to avoid them at all costs.
So the general rule of thumb is if you don't get your way whine about it to anyone who will listen?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
So the general rule of thumb is if you don't get your way whine about it to anyone who will listen?
Wow! That's a very cynical and harsh take. You could also say that he felt that he was wronged, was not getting any empathy from the by the book dealer and others and felt like he deserved some compassion. Unfortunately you seem to lack compassion regarding his situation.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Wow! That's a very cynical and harsh take. You could also say that he felt that he was wronged, was not getting any empathy from the by the book dealer and others and felt like he deserved some compassion. Unfortunately you seem to lack compassion regarding his situation.
I do have compassion for his situation. That doesn't mean I believe he was owed anything by the selling dealer or BMW for something that wasn't either of their fault.