Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Bmw apps

Anyone has bmw apps?
it seems they only work with the iPhone cradle and not the usb cable...
can you confirm?
Manual claims it will work with both...

besides, does anyone know if this bmw apps worth it?
I mean so far it offers nothing...is it going to be updated with gmail and other services?

this email thing is such a killer...
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
As described in your other posts on the other board, BMW Apps needs the cradle for iPod OUT and Video. The other Apps can use the USB cable. For $250 on a $50K plus car it is worth it if you have an iPhone. Future apps may be promising - as far as email integration, depends on what you want.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
As described in your other posts on the other board, BMW Apps needs the cradle for iPod OUT and Video. The other Apps can use the USB cable. For $250 on a $50K plus car it is worth it if you have an iPhone. Future apps may be promising - as far as email integration, depends on what you want.
Its not about the $250 vs $50K its about if its really worth it.
If you spend $1M does this mean they have to charge you for a screw $100 a piece?

Beyond that, the cradle requires the iPhone to be completely isolated from the driver
VS the iPhone cable enables you to quickly open it and check email/texts when you are parked or on the lights.

Bur for my case, the iPhone - audio forked cable (black) that BMW offers will not allow
'bmw connected' to connect with the car. I will have to use the cradle for that...
I heard someone saying the white cable that comes with the iPhone works so I will be trying that too and let you know...
Old 09-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to vcamayd
Mein Auto: BMW 550i
I use the regular iPhone cable and it works just fine. Make sure you download the app from the app store and run it on your phone after you connect it to the car.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3
How are people enjoying this?
Old 10-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 228i
Honestly, I still just listen to my iTouch through the system. I see no real reason to take my iPhone out of my pocket every time I get in the car and plug it in.

Occasionally though, I will listen to the web radio.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I have bmw apps on my car and love it...one of my favorite features. Unfortunately, the dealer mistakenly blew away my bmw apps feature during a software update. Anyway...

-use the regular apple white USB cord to connect...no need for the cradle
-Open pandora or the BMW conected app
-go the the radio menu and you'll have either internet radio or pandora
(tehre's also facebook available under a different menu but i could care less)
Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3
You can stream pandora wirelessly through Bluetooth too FYI. :-)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: MMM
Anyone having an issue with ios5 ?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrevn View Post
Anyone having an issue with ios5 ?
Not anymore. Except that now I can't put my phone in standby mode because if I do the app stops running
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
I see no possible reason for apps. There are enough distractions as it is, last thing all of us need are bozos doing Twitter in their car. What would be nice is if they were to put more useful driving related technology in. For instance, if you can get weather through Connected Drive why can't it display the radar weather map on your nav so you can change routes or stop early for lunch to let a storm blow through? Instead we get Twitter, Facebook, Email, Calendar, stock reports, etc., etc. Seems like driving is becoming just a distraction to our social networking. Sell the M3, take your Iphone and ride a bus! OR, leave your phone at home and drive some nice back roads to a friend's house for a visit. Just my humble opinion of course

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Last edited by Mace14; 11-18-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 M3, ZHP, 6MT
The European version facilitates a remote unlocking (not related to the cradle use), and that's the reasons I added it to my order, for future applications, as right now they are almost useless to me at least.

I would like to see text messages on the screen, as well as phone notifications (ios5) that are immediately relevant to me.

Anyone know of a way to instigate an IPhone 4S 'Siri' voice query with the phone cradled? This would be amazing...

Similarly, anyone have news on new updates features etc?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkith View Post
The European version facilitates a remote unlocking (not related to the cradle use), and that's the reasons I added it to my order, for future applications, as right now they are almost useless to me at least. Seems like it would be so easy for them to program the steering button to be a straight Bluetooth activation button and bypass thr bulk in voice system. Taking it one step further would be a Siri enabled app on the phone that understood car specific commands and could for example control thr nav system, etc

I would like to see text messages on the screen, as well as phone notifications (ios5) that are immediately relevant to me.

Anyone know of a way to instigate an IPhone 4S 'Siri' voice query with the phone cradled? This would be amazing...

Similarly, anyone have news on new updates features etc?
Other than pressing the button on the phone, it's not possible as of now. I read that BMW is very interested in integrating siri however.

Regarding remote unlocking with an app, that is actually possible with a us based car even without the BMW apps option..you do need bmw assist however. In iTunes create a uk account and download the mybmw app. Set it up with your assist login and it will do the remote locking as well as find my car and sending addresses to the gps. Pretty cool. Silly that bmwusa doesn't support it as an official download. Google it for more info as there are some tricks for creating a uk iTunes account.

Agree that BMW apps is more interesting for future possibilities, but I do really like the pandora integration; that's pretty much all I listen to now. The social networking stuff is silly but necessary for marketing purposes.

Last edited by bmw325; 11-20-2011 at 11:28 AM.