Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Bmw apps

How many have Bmw apps here?

and are you using it extensively?
ir appears it only works with the iPhone cradle....
manual claims will also work with the BMW usb to iPhone adapter but
this doesn't seem to be true.
can anyone confirm?

Do you guys think this package is worth the $250?

i mean it offers nothing so far , do you think we will see updates in the near future?
such as gmail services etc?

Last edited by bmw_enthusiasm; 08-30-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,561
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Nothing is extreme. BMW Apps includes "iPod Out" and web radio. I think Pandora is included too.

Twitter and Facebook are useless I agree.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 08-30-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 PM
JT 550i SD's Avatar
JT 550i SD JT 550i SD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 322
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
use mine sporadically, mainly beacuse takes an extra step to snap iPhone into snap in media adapter.

when I do, I sync w/ BMW connected app to refresh data, then exit that app, and go to PANDORA. This by itself makes the $250 worth it.

dont use the FB app, but do use the web radio

good stuff !
__________________
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 PM
soundmind soundmind is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2012 550i M Sport
So do I have to buy an extra adapter for this to work? I ordered BMW Apps but didn't get any kind of snap in accessory. Is that needed?
__________________
2012 550i M Sport, Sports Auto, CA, Lux Seat, Prem Sound, HUD

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmind View Post
So do I have to buy an extra adapter for this to work? I ordered BMW Apps but didn't get any kind of snap in accessory. Is that needed?
yup...$250 ...
or the usb to iPod for $60ish but the partiular one is not working, in contrast with the manual...
again, can anyone confirm with me on this?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmind View Post
So do I have to buy an extra adapter for this to work? I ordered BMW Apps but didn't get any kind of snap in accessory. Is that needed?
BMW Apps works without the cradle. iPod Out (video playback from the iPod) requires the cradle.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 AM
L1Trauma L1Trauma is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Orleans
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 160
Mein Auto: '11 550i -> '15 M3
+1 on Pandora being worth it by itself, but I suspect that in the next year there will be more apps to sweeten the deal.

I wish I could assign a memory button to start Pandora, though.
__________________
-- Dave BMWCCA# 321955
2015 M3 MT SO/SO full leather, CF trim, DAP, Exec, Lighting, 19" black wheels, adaptive suspension, H/K, rear shade
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 AM
grizzles's Avatar
grizzles grizzles is offline
550 XI M Sport F10
Location: NNJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: 550 xi Msport
How is the sound quality on pandora?
__________________
2011 550i Xdrive, Sophisto Grau, Anthracite/Black Dakota, Active/ventilated seats, Cold Weather, Convenience, M Sport, P2, SAT, HUD, top and side view cameras, power rear sunshade, split fold down seat, comfort access, SAT Radio, rear view camera, 35% window 3M tint, Dinan Stage 1 (soon)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzles View Post
How is the sound quality on pandora?
Much better than Sat Radio...

If you have an iPhone and the OEM USB option (not the 6NR) then start Pandora on your iPhone, set your iDrive to AUX and immediately plug the iPhone to the USB. You will listen to Pandora thru your iDrive audio system (no display and no track control, only volume) and then you can assess yourself its sound quality.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2011, 08:10 AM
massyman massyman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 147
Mein Auto: BMW
How about just charging the iPhone 4? Do you need to purchase a cradle or does it come with Smartphone Integration?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 AM
AggieKnight's Avatar
AggieKnight AggieKnight is offline
Can has cheezburger
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,562
Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Thanks for starting this thread. I have been pondering the same quandary as I've been fiddling with configurations for my next car (an F10).

So BMW Apps will play audio via bluetooth, just not video, which requires a craddle?

I apologize if I've missed something obvious. Haven't really found good definitions of the various pieces of this pie.
__________________
WARNING: Author not responsible for the readers failure to recognize sarcasm.
Yield, I can has picture?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. I have been pondering the same quandary as I've been fiddling with configurations for my next car (an F10).

So BMW Apps will play audio via bluetooth, just not video, which requires a craddle?

I apologize if I've missed something obvious. Haven't really found good definitions of the various pieces of this pie.
A2DP (Bluetooth Audio) is available with option 6FL (USB/iPod adapter, $400). Option 6NR (BMW Apps, $250) adds the Facebook, Twitter, Web Radio and Pandora full display and control features to the 6FL. The iPhone cradle accessory (at dealer, $250) adds iPod Out (iPod video playback) to BMW Apps.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:09 PM
ThreeI ThreeI is offline
Registered User
Location: Southern Indiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2011 5281 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Much better than Sat Radio...

If you have an iPhone and the OEM USB option (not the 6NR) then start Pandora on your iPhone, set your iDrive to AUX and immediately plug the iPhone to the USB. You will listen to Pandora thru your iDrive audio system (no display and no track control, only volume) and then you can assess yourself its sound quality.
You don't even have to use the USB cable. It works through bluetooth streaming.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeI View Post
You don't even have to use the USB cable. It works through bluetooth streaming if you have the Combox.
Fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
massyman massyman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 147
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Fixed.
Do you need to purchase anything from BMW to charge the iPhone? Or does it already come if you have purchased the Smartphone/BMW Apps accessories?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by massyman View Post
Do you need to purchase anything from BMW to charge the iPhone? Or does it already come if you have purchased the Smartphone/BMW Apps accessories?
The iPhone gets charged by plugging it in the USB port or in the accessory cradle.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 PM
cynerjist cynerjist is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carmel, IN
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 105
Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Main points covered well so far.
I use Apple USB cable, no cradle. Pandora quality is good; can run at 64kbps or 128kbps AAC or MP3, data intensive though. Would like to see more apps (remote? please?)

Worth $250? currently no (to me)
give us the remote app and get the messaging to work so I can have email/SMS read to me and it's worth $500.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynerjist View Post
Main points covered well so far.
I use Apple USB cable, no cradle. Pandora quality is good; can run at 64kbps or 128kbps AAC or MP3, data intensive though. Would like to see more apps (remote? please?)

Worth $250? currently no (to me)
give us the remote app and get the messaging to work so I can have email/SMS read to me and it's worth $500.
So you are saying that Apple USB cable (the white one) works with BMW Apps and you can
launch the 'BMW' connected App. and it connects through the USB? without needing to be on cradle?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 PM
cynerjist cynerjist is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Carmel, IN
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 105
Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
So you are saying that Apple USB cable (the white one) works with BMW Apps and you can
launch the 'BMW' connected App. and it connects through the USB? without needing to be on cradle?
Exactly. Cradle is not required for BMW apps and playback of music on device with iDrive. The cradle does improve reception by connecting to an antenna and it allows the use of the 'plugin' component of BMW apps which allows you to view video on the display in the car.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,882
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm View Post
So you are saying that Apple USB cable (the white one) works with BMW Apps and you can
launch the 'BMW' connected App. and it connects through the USB? without needing to be on cradle?
How many answers for the same subject in different threads do you really need to understand how this works?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
How many answers for the same subject in different threads do you really need to understand how this works?
Can you shut up or answer my question?
then I will shut up if you know the answer

till then I will be asking
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 PM
soundmind soundmind is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2012 550i M Sport
It's not made very clear on BMWs site without digging around. Here's what I gathered by scouring the infotainment section of BMWs site:

You can play music from your phone using the standard usb cable that came with your phone. Using that you can charge your phone, have play/skip controls via iDrive controller and album cover art will appear on the screen. If you'd like to have facebook/twitter integration and web radio (pandora) plus any future 'apps' then you'll need to purchase the BMW Apps option. If that's not enough and you want to view video from your iPod/iPhone on the screen you can add the snap-in adapter.

The info is here if you'd like to read about the features individually: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ent/index.html

Hope that helps.. it definitely helped clear things up for me. Also, when I went to test drive a 550, it had no cradle and I was able to connect my own phone to the car and access music from iDrive. So far I don't see how the snap in cradle is worth anything close to what they're charging; not to me at least. Can't think of a time I'll be sitting in my car watching a video - especially since it only works when you're not moving, it's not even beneficial to the passenger on a road trip.
__________________
2012 550i M Sport, Sports Auto, CA, Lux Seat, Prem Sound, HUD


Last edited by soundmind; 08-31-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Br0wnBear Br0wnBear is offline
Wylin' Cause I'm Young
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmind View Post
It's not made very clear on BMWs site without digging around. Here's what I gathered by scouring the infotainment section of BMWs site:

You can play music from your phone using the standard usb cable that came with your phone. Using that you can charge your phone, have play/skip controls via iDrive controller and album cover art will appear on the screen. If you'd like to have facebook/twitter integration and web radio (pandora) plus any future 'apps' then you'll need to purchase the BMW Apps option. If that's not enough and you want to view video from your iPod/iPhone on the screen you can add the snap-in adapter.

The info is here if you'd like to read about the features individually: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ent/index.html

Hope that helps.. it definitely helped clear things up for me. Also, when I went to test drive a 550, it had no cradle and I was able to connect my own phone to the car and access music from iDrive. So far I don't see how the snap in cradle is worth anything close to what they're charging; not to me at least. Can't think of a time I'll be sitting in my car watching a video - especially since it only works when you're not moving, it's not even beneficial to the passenger on a road trip.
+1 Thanks for this, def cleared it up for me atleast.
__________________
2011 535i|JetBlack|BlackDakota|Anthracite|Premium Pkg 1&2
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 AM
massyman massyman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 147
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmind View Post
It's not made very clear on BMWs site without digging around. Here's what I gathered by scouring the infotainment section of BMWs site:

You can play music from your phone using the standard usb cable that came with your phone. Using that you can charge your phone, have play/skip controls via iDrive controller and album cover art will appear on the screen. If you'd like to have facebook/twitter integration and web radio (pandora) plus any future 'apps' then you'll need to purchase the BMW Apps option. If that's not enough and you want to view video from your iPod/iPhone on the screen you can add the snap-in adapter.

The info is here if you'd like to read about the features individually: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ent/index.html

Hope that helps.. it definitely helped clear things up for me. Also, when I went to test drive a 550, it had no cradle and I was able to connect my own phone to the car and access music from iDrive. So far I don't see how the snap in cradle is worth anything close to what they're charging; not to me at least. Can't think of a time I'll be sitting in my car watching a video - especially since it only works when you're not moving, it's not even beneficial to the passenger on a road trip.
Thank you for the clarification! Don't see the point in the cradle..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 AM
bmw_enthusiasm bmw_enthusiasm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmind View Post
It's not made very clear on BMWs site without digging around. Here's what I gathered by scouring the infotainment section of BMWs site:

You can play music from your phone using the standard usb cable that came with your phone. Using that you can charge your phone, have play/skip controls via iDrive controller and album cover art will appear on the screen. If you'd like to have facebook/twitter integration and web radio (pandora) plus any future 'apps' then you'll need to purchase the BMW Apps option. If that's not enough and you want to view video from your iPod/iPhone on the screen you can add the snap-in adapter.

The info is here if you'd like to read about the features individually: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ent/index.html

Hope that helps.. it definitely helped clear things up for me. Also, when I went to test drive a 550, it had no cradle and I was able to connect my own phone to the car and access music from iDrive. So far I don't see how the snap in cradle is worth anything close to what they're charging; not to me at least. Can't think of a time I'll be sitting in my car watching a video - especially since it only works when you're not moving, it's not even beneficial to the passenger on a road trip.
+10
THank you soundmind!
you are definitely worth your username
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms