Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5
First oil change

For those whio purchased your car, when did you get your first oil change? And if you do so, does that change the scheduled maintenance...in other words does my free oil change get pushed further out?
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimluva View Post
For those whio purchased your car, when did you get your first oil change? And if you do so, does that change the scheduled maintenance...in other words does my free oil change get pushed further out?
Changed by my dealer at my expense at 2,000 miles, did not reset the recommended interval.

This gets all sorts of views but it was peace of mind and worth it to me.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
I did my first oil change at 2,000 miles (clean oil after break-in, overkill, I know...) but that does not reset your service interval.

Even if you do a 1 Yr. service (before the 15,000 miles), it still does not reset your counter, and may end up doing another free service in a couple thousand miles.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I did my first oil change at 2,000 miles (clean oil after break-in, overkill, I know...) but that does not reset your service interval.

Even if you do a 1 Yr. service (before the 15,000 miles), it still does not reset your counter, and may end up doing another free service in a couple thousand miles.
i did one at 2000 as well. who knows. but my computer is giving me antoher 1000 miles to go for another change, and im at 10.5. has anyone else experienced this? never touched the computer. maybe because i drive it like i stole it?

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
1k - Me
4k - Me
8.5k - Dealer, free one year oil change with NO reset to the oil change interval.
Oil change indicator is listing 16k miles or 2 years from production date.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
3000 mile oil change on my dime, 7500 again on me,16000 on BMW. Used Mobil 1 0w40. Funny thing is, the dealer insists on using their oil as part of the covered oil change. My break in technique up to 1200 miles was a near-religious experience, followed by gradual increases in aggressive acceleration and RPMs from 1200-4000 miles on the o/d. Engine has not used a drop of oil - ever.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
1500 miles - by me - Mobil 1 5W30
cheap and easy to find in 6packs at Costco for ~$5-6/per bottle
550 took (9) bottles (quart size, ~1 Liter)

Next: 5000 miles

People are emotional about oil brands and types. Just make sure you are using a viscosity approved in the manual. As far as BMW approved oils, those are very good oils, but not always easy to find and are selected because they hold up 15,000 miles in all kinds of climates.

IMO it is much worse to wait 15,000 miles between oil changes than to use a good brand substitute synthetic (eg. Mobil 1) at an approved viscosity.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:14 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
What does the BMW dealer charge for oil changes?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
depends on the car. I think it's in the neighborhood of 125-200. I did mine in the garage, 50 bucks for oil and filter.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 428i GC
Cynerjist,

Mobile 1 5W-30 does not meet BMW's Long-life rating LL-01 specifications. The only Mobile 1 oil that meets BMW's specifications is Mobile 1 SAE 0W-40. You can check your warranty manual, BMW USA's website, Mobile's website, or google the words Mobile 1 5W-30 and BMW and you will find several threads about this. I learned the hard way as I recently had an indy specializing in German vehicles change the oil in my E46. I asked if they used BMW oil and the answer I got was "yes". When I picked up the car, my invoice showed Mobile 1 5W-30. When I complained, I got some BS response that it was better than BMW oil. I did some research and shared my findings with the shop owner. He checked with his Mobile vendor and they confirmed that Mobile 1 0W-40 is what they should have used. Shop owner has offered to change oil to Mobile 1 0W-40.

LDD

Last edited by F36 Pilot; 09-01-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: Now Lexus Buying BMW 535
Sorry, but I do not understand why you guys are changing oil BEFORE the recommended service interval. Am I missing something here (looks like)? Kindly enlighten me - is it absolutely MUST?. I have 2011 535u with approx. 6200 - 6300 miles.

Thanks a LOT.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTexas2010 View Post
Sorry, but I do not understand why you guys are changing oil BEFORE the recommended service interval. Am I missing something here (looks like)? Kindly enlighten me - is it absolutely MUST?. I have 2011 535u with approx. 6200 - 6300 miles.

Thanks a LOT.
This is a much deeper question than just about oil change interval.

It has to do with how you were raised and what parental advice / traits you have adopted.

Other similar questions include:

Buy new tires before you see the wear bars or when you see the air inside?

Go to dentist for teeth cleaning every 6 months or every two years ?

Clean the house on a regular schedule or only when listing for sale?

Bathe daily or just Saturday night?

Clean underwear daily or weekly?

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 09-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
for a 550i at my dealer it would come to $192

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDukDong View Post
Cynerjist,

Mobile 1 5W-30 does not meet BMW's Long-life rating LL-01 specifications. The only Mobile 1 oil that meets BMW's specifications is Mobile 1 SAE 0W-40. You can check your warranty manual, BMW USA's website, Mobile's website, or google the words Mobile 1 5W-30 and BMW and you will find several threads about this. I learned the hard way as I recently had an indy specializing in German vehicles change the oil in my E46. I asked if they used BMW oil and the answer I got was "yes". When I picked up the car, my invoice showed Mobile 1 5W-30. When I complained, I got some BS response that it was better than BMW oil. I did some research and shared my findings with the shop owner. He checked with his Mobile vendor and they confirmed that Mobile 1 0W-40 is what they should have used. Shop owner has offered to change oil to Mobile 1 0W-40.

LDD
Strict compliance with LL-01 is not a priority for me. It is not an exhaustive list of all oils that will work. You will notice they are the main name brands (Castrol, Mobil1, Pennzoil, Valvoline) and specs (0W40, 0W30, 5W30). They did not test every possible combination. The basic point is to tell the customer to choose a name brand synthetic of appropriate viscosity. There is not a single thing wrong with putting Mobil 1 5W30 in my car and my owner's manual indicates a high quality synthetic 5W30 is fine (does not mention brands or LL-01).

I know your post was meant to be constructive, and I agree that using an LL-01 oil is a safe move. However, I think people researching this should wikipedia motor oil first. They would not worry about using an LL-01 so much especially if they switch every 5000 as I do. It is absolutely ridiculous to assume that BMWs 5W30 contains a proprietary chemical marvel that renders Mobil 5W30 unusable. I know someone might think that BMW tested exhaustively these oils in these cars and they represent the best in breed choices for your F10. But the reality is that the list has been around a while, these engines are new, and the year 1 issues prove that exhaustive real-world oil testing did not occur. If they'd done that, we'd not have as many run-flat threads and 245/40 19 LS-2s would not be backordered right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTexas2010 View Post

Thanks a LOT.
In short, there is a break in period when the car is new. Microscopic pieces of metal are released into the oil as the engine breaks in. It's good to replace that oil around 1500-2500 or even 5000-6000 is better than waiting until 15,000. It is not a necessity to change your oil more often than the service interval. However, it is like the guy above referenced hygiene. It is without question better to change your oil more often than every 15,000 miles and this is most important during the first 15,000 miles. If you put a dip stick in every 1,000 miles and took a picture or just remembered the last time, you could see the junk that ends up contaminating the oil. The problem is a dirty oil filter. It's not the oil's fault. Stuff gets released into it and the filter gets saturated... just like an A/c or furnace in your home.

This is kind of where people separate into the three camps. 1) doesn't want dirty oil and a saturated filter running for 7000-10000 miles until next interval. 2) believes it's not a problem because they selected a BMW approved LL-01 oil. 3) aren't as anal as members of camps 1 and 2 and don't worry about it.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
This is a much deeper question than just about oil change interval.

It has to do with how you were raised and what parental advice / traits you have adopted.
Hilarious, never looked at it that way, but it makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynerjist View Post
for a 550i at my dealer it would come to $192
This is kind of where people separate into the three camps. 1) doesn't want dirty oil and a saturated filter running for 7000-10000 miles until next interval. 2) believes it's not a problem because they selected a BMW approved LL-01 oil. 3) aren't as anal as members of camps 1 and 2 and don't worry about it.
While I agree using a LL-01 approved oil in the united states is less of a concern when your OCI's are 5k miles. I would be more inclined to follow the manufacturers guidelines especially during the warranty period. There is no monetary gain to use oils not listed for use in North America, especially if the application is M car or DI/Turbo. Considering how sensitive these cars have proven to be regarding fuel, and other fluids, I rather continue to use BMW's rebranded Castrol 5W-30 until the warranty is over. But that's just me. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter with low OCI's.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Interesting. I have typically changed oil at 2,500 mile 4 month intervals. Of course Lexus dealers change oil for $100-120 because they realize that if you lose a customer over the small stuff, you may lose the big services too. It's an unfortunate side effect of the ultimate service plan that BMW dealers charge $200 for an oil change.

I'll shop around but the most I would stretch it on the 550i is 6 months which is about 3800 miles for me.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I have typically changed oil at 2,500 mile 4 month intervals. Of course Lexus dealers change oil for $100-120 because they realize that if you lose a customer over the small stuff, you may lose the big services too. It's an unfortunate side effect of the ultimate service plan that BMW dealers charge $200 for an oil change.

I'll shop around but the most I would stretch it on the 550i is 6 months which is about 3800 miles for me.
I know it gives people piece of mind, however, after the break-in period is over, there really isn't any need to change the oil that often. If you really want to know the condition of the fluid have the oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs. I've done this many times and my own conclusion is that in the early stages of a cars life there is a gestation period where the engine is "getting it's legs", during this time it's recommended not to do long OCI's. But after this period is over, I would say about a year and 10k miles. Once a year or 7500 miles oil changes is totally fine.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
1200 miles if you want to do traditional
you have the choice to tell the dealer whether or not to reset

for next service at 15K. I usually ask not to reset anything
In other words you don't tell the system to know about this oil change.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:

I made the mistake of not asking the price and that's how it ended up. When I got this car, I bought some rhino ramps and the filter. The rhino ramps scared the crap out of me while changing the filter. I doubt I will use those again.

If you get the oils that BMW recommends a DIY gets to $90 or so. I had a 6 pack of mobil 1 sitting in my garage and got 3 more. The total cost of that DIY $70. 9 liters is a lot of oil to buy.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I know it gives people piece of mind, however, after the break-in period is over, there really isn't any need to change the oil that often. If you really want to know the condition of the fluid have the oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs. I've done this many times and my own conclusion is that in the early stages of a cars life there is a gestation period where the engine is "getting it's legs", during this time it's recommended not to do long OCI's. But after this period is over, I would say about a year and 10k miles. Once a year or 7500 miles oil changes is totally fine.
Help me out here. If there are truly tiny pieces of microscopic metal fragments (as someone posted earlier) possibly lodged in the engine/oil why would BMW say wait for 15K miles to change the oil? There must be a reason why they believe frequent oil changes are unnecessary? I've always done this in the past but that doesn't necessarily mean it's needed now.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynerjist View Post
I made the mistake of not asking the price and that's how it ended up. When I got this car, I bought some rhino ramps and the filter. The rhino ramps scared the crap out of me while changing the filter. I doubt I will use those again.
If you get the oils that BMW recommends a DIY gets to $90 or so. I had a 6 pack of mobil 1 sitting in my garage and got 3 more. The total cost of that DIY $70. 9 liters is a lot of oil to buy.
Tischer sells the kit for the 528i/535i for $69 bucks which includes 7 qts oil, filter, gaskets, tax and shipping. Not sure how much the 550i takes. I hear you with the rhino ramps it's inches from your face. I use a couple of low profile racing jacks, gets that car in the air much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
Help me out here. If there are truly tiny pieces of microscopic metal fragments (as someone posted earlier) possibly lodged in the engine/oil why would BMW say wait for 15K miles to change the oil? There must be a reason why they believe frequent oil changes are unnecessary? I've always done this in the past but that doesn't necessarily mean it's needed now.
They still swap the original factory fills for M cars @ 1200 miles, and used to do it on all cars, until free maintenance came around and then the OCI's magically doubled. There is no money for older cars with high miles for a manufacturer or dealer. The dealers main focus is to keep the maintenance average cost per mile down not to see your car hit 15 years and 200k miles.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Tischer sells the kit for the 528i/535i for $69 bucks which includes 7 qts oil, filter, gaskets, tax and shipping. Not sure how much the 550i takes. I hear you with the rhino ramps it's inches from your face. I use a couple of low profile racing jacks, gets that car in the air much higher.

They still swap the original factory fills for M cars @ 1200 miles, and used to do it on all cars, until free maintenance came around and then the OCI's magically doubled. There is no money for older cars with high miles for a manufacturer or dealer. The dealers main focus is to keep the maintenance average cost per mile down not to see your car hit 15 years and 200k miles.
Ok now I see the picture. Guess it's a money thing.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulunderdog View Post
Ok now I see the picture. Guess it's a money thing.
Isn't everything?
From BMW's perspective, they would like to see you lease a car every 2-3 years. What they don't want to see is you driving a car for 15 years and having it serviced by an indy BMW shop. That is the worse case scenario for them. Considering how poor the reliability is on modern BMW's, the latter isn't going to happen for most people.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M Sport
It's been tough to find an independent mechanic that is qualified to touch my car. When I had my Honda, no probelm.. but it's a whole different world with the tech in these cars. My dealership is about 30 minutes away and I'd love to find a shop closer who can handle the smaller stuff, like oil changes that fall between the warranty intervals. I don't always mind the drive but $180 or so is astronomical for an oil change at the dealer. Especially when "regular" cars can get theirs done at JiffyLube for $20. If it costs $90 for the supplies then I'm paying 100% over cost - doesn't seem right, does it? I wonder if I could find a reputable mechanic on Angies List...

Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmind View Post
It's been tough to find an independent mechanic that is qualified to touch my car. When I had my Honda, no probelm.. but it's a whole different world with the tech in these cars. My dealership is about 30 minutes away and I'd love to find a shop closer who can handle the smaller stuff, like oil changes that fall between the warranty intervals. I don't always mind the drive but $180 or so is astronomical for an oil change at the dealer. Especially when "regular" cars can get theirs done at JiffyLube for $20. If it costs $90 for the supplies then I'm paying 100% over cost - doesn't seem right, does it? I wonder if I could find a reputable mechanic on Angies List...
Really? Oil changes on this car is about as easy as I've seen. The oil filter is on top, so there's no mess and there's a trap door for the drain plug, so there are no plastic panels to remove. I would buy the parts and take it to indy. Oil change isn't what I'd be worried about, other things like ATF flush and fill with Proprietary Shell lubricant specified by ZF is a harder job. Or you can just believe BMW and not change the ATF fluid at all.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M Sport
Quote:
Really? Oil changes on this car is about as easy as I've seen. The oil filter is on top, so there's no mess and there's a trap door for the drain plug, so there are no plastic panels to remove.
Oh nice, I didn't know how easy it was (won't get mine until November). Though I'm not very mechanically minded - always had great luck taking things apart, not so great at getting them back together, haha.