Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Looking for somebody with HUD in Toronto

Anybody in Toronto area (preferably north-west) - I really want to have a look at the HUD image..

I have the problem with double image (see pics below), dealer claimed "this is normal", I insisted to adjust - he told me technician have checked everything, and there is nothing to adjust, and "this is normal" again; but after that it becomes even worse - before it was only double image, but now it is tilted/distorted too..

Also, for everybody - can you check the shape of the image and let me know how it looks?

This is the test mode - to enter press and hold "HUD" button for about 30 secs, then each short press will change the image. To exit - shutdown the car or press and hold 30 secs again.

Fullsize images: http://www.dianaserver.net/rasnoe/car/hud/

Ads by Google
Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Man, that really looks bad. Escalate to BMWNA (they operate in Canada too, it is North America?) and don't stop until resolved.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
You gotta be effin' kidding me.
I don't have the HUD but even Helen Keller could see that's horribly defective. Demand that someone from BMW-NA come look at your car.
Alternatively, you may just want to bring it to another dealership and have them fix it. After all, your warranty has "BMW" stamped on it, not the dealership.

***Sent from the inerwebs using technology that's way above my pay grade***
Old 08-31-2011, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi M-Sport
Clearly not normal. We're going through the same thing with BMW on my wife's 2011 X5 HUD that was replaced a month ago due to a screen scrolling issue. The replacement looks slightly skewed and rotated on the X axis a tiny bit. When the tech pulled up a test pattern (different than the ones you have listed here) it looked perfect. However, it was only yellow.

When I ran through the tests by holding down the HUD display button it was a different story (I just ran out to the garage to test). Yellow looked okay, but the green, red, and orange all looked to have a slightly duplicate image that looked in-sync on the top left hand corner then "drooped" a little towards the right hand side.

The tech also handed us a bulletin than said the replacement HUD unit is a made by a different supplier due to quality issues and had less adjustment than the original unit.

We also noticed that the contrast is poor (and can not be adjusted). At nighttime we can see the background of the entire LCD display - something I don't see in your pictures and we didn't see in the original HUD.

We're going to take it back for the third time and see if they can get it right. For a $2000 option, this should be working perfectly. The service manager stated that this was the first time they've worked on a HUD in an X5 and the parts are always flown in from Germany.

We'll see...

Glad BMW didn't say the scrolling was "normal"...

Last edited by basf_audio; 08-31-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi M-Sport
Once quick technical reason for a double image as well... (Although usually not the issue since you'd already be able to check for the wrong windshield...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06b_E70 Head-up Display-18.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	291179   Click image for larger version

Name:	06b_E70 Head-up Display-27.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	291183  

Last edited by basf_audio; 08-31-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Additional attachment
Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: v8 tt
Those images look very distorted to me. If BMW Mississauga won't / can't fix your issue, you should bring your car to another dealer. Try BMW Toronto, the service advisor will also listen to your concern and will resolve the issue to your satisfaction.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
Sorry for your struggles, I posted my windshield numbers on your original posting.
Mine thankfully does not have the double image and tilt, that is not right!!
Absolutely crazy that they would tell you otherwise. Keep at it and good luck.

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011-AW 535i Cinimon Int
I am in Toronto but no HUD display, but one of my test drives did have HUD, and it was crystal clear. All I can suggest is to go to a dealer with another car for a "test drive" so you can compare what they look like.....