Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Locked out with CA? Did not think was possible, but oh so wrong.

So I placed my bag on the back seat of my 2010 X5 this morning and shut the door. The door beeped. I went inside and got my coat and came back to find it locked.

Both sets of my keys (with CA) were in my bag because I am in the process of moving to a new house and had no place yet to put the spare.

All doors were locked with all keys inside. I did NOT think that was possible? In the past, I could not force the door to lock if my key was somewhere inside the car? The battery in each key fob is fine and it is most unlikely that anything was pressing on either set in my bag due to the position.

BMW assist was not able to remote unlock it, but my roadside covered a WONDERFUL locksmith coming to my house and thank god he was able to unlock it.

But I am so confused as to how this happened? Is there and iDrive setting that I should check? I will certainly be more careful in the future, but at the same time...the CA feature was something I really wanted to prevent this from ever accidentally happening?

MODS: Feel free to move! I did not realize I posted in wrong forum...sorry!

Last edited by pwats101; 03-06-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwats101 View Post
So I placed my bag on the back seat of my 2010 X5 this morning and shut the door. The door beeped. I went inside and got my coat and came back to find it locked.

Both sets of my keys (with CA) were in my bag because I am in the process of moving to a new house and had no place yet to put the spare.

All doors were locked with all keys inside. I did NOT think that was possible? In the past, I could not force the door to lock if my key was somewhere inside the car? The battery in each key fob is fine and it is most unlikely that anything was pressing on either set in my bag due to the position.

BMW assist was not able to remote unlock it, but my roadside covered a WONDERFUL locksmith coming to my house and thank god he was able to unlock it.

But I am so confused as to how this happened? Is there and iDrive setting that I should check? I will certainly be more careful in the future, but at the same time...the CA feature was something I really wanted to prevent this from ever accidentally happening?

MODS: Feel free to move! I did not realize I posted in wrong forum...sorry!
This happened to my wife with our 135 coupe equipped with comfort access. The explanation I was given is that sometimes the car cannot sense the fob and it will lock the car. Ever since that happened the wife opens the driver's side door and then opens the back to put stuff in while leaving driver's door open then gets into the car. I personally keep the key in my pocket and that removes the risk for me. Obviously, one cannot count on the car to see the key inside and not lock itself
Old 03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwats101 View Post
By saying the door "beeped", that implies you had already hit the lock button before you closed the door, right? So then, when you closed the door, the car was then locked. I just wanted to be sure you weren't saying the doors locked totally by themselves upon closing. I don't know if the door will actually unlock upon closing if the key is still inside - never tried that. I know CA will not activate from outside if the key is inside.

To the other responder who replied his wife opens the driver door first, can't she just avoid any issue by simply locking the car after she closes all the doors? Don't "pre-lock" it by pressing the fob button before the doors are closed.

The only time I ever hit the lock button on the fob before all the doors are closed is when I'm removing something from the back seat and know that I already put the key back in my pocket. If the driver door is shut, pressing the lock button on the fob with any other door open will let the locks go to the locked position so when you close that last door, the alarm activates (hence, the beep).

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 03-06-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I have had this happen three times in our 2011 X5 with CA. In each case, I unlocked the car with CA, and hung my suitcoat - with the keys in the pocket - on a coat hanger in the back, and the car LOCKED ITSELF when I shut the door. I was entering, not leaving the car, and I definitely did not lock it. At least, not on purpose.

It is possible I brushed the ridges on the rear door handle as I was shutting the door. But certainly not with the deliberation and effort that is usually required.

All 3 times I got lucky. The satellite had a clear signal and BMW Assist was able to do a remote unlock. But if I had been parked in the sub basement if a city parking garage, I would have been SOL.

The manual says this can't happen. But it does. And my SA tells me it happens "more often than we'd like."

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
I accidentally did this today when my keys were in a jacket pocket inside the car and upon shutting the door and pressing on the stripes, nothing happened. This led me to realize the keys were inside. So I thought the system is bullet-proof but now you guys got me worried a bit...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I have had this happen three times in our 2011 X5 with CA. In each case, I unlocked the car with CA, and hung my suitcoat - with the keys in the pocket - on a coat hanger in the back, and the car LOCKED ITSELF when I shut the door. I was entering, not leaving the car, and I definitely did not lock it. At least, not on purpose.

It is possible I brushed the ridges on the rear door handle as I was shutting the door. But certainly not with the deliberation and effort that is usually required.

All 3 times I got lucky. The satellite had a clear signal and BMW Assist was able to do a remote unlock. But if I had been parked in the sub basement if a city parking garage, I would have been SOL.

The manual says this can't happen. But it does. And my SA tells me it happens "more often than we'd like."

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp
This is what happened to the wife and she did touch the handle to close the door when it happened.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
I accidentally did this today when my keys were in a jacket pocket inside the car and upon shutting the door and pressing on the stripes, nothing happened. This led me to realize the keys were inside. So I thought the system is bullet-proof but now you guys got me worried a bit...
Nothing is bulletproof. Just be warned that it "can" happen.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I probably did touch the ridges/door handle when I closed it. The beep came after the door shut as far as I recall. I remember thinking it was odd, but I did not think it would lock with the key fobs inside...so I thought maybe all the other doors had auto-unlocked and THAT caused the beep.

There have been times that I furiously tried to lock the doors only to realize I had left the key inside.

I will be way more careful in the future. Lesson learned. I just wanted to put it out there for any others that could benefit from my stupidity.