Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Bmw 330i
Why is it that the "MPG"-arm STICKS @ 30 or less mpg, and mpg-arm sometimes throws-to-right when coming to a stop? Is there problem with pcv ? ECM-Computer ? Or does this NATURALLY OCCURS ON MANUAL TRANSMISSION?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
I doubt it...it's a recall, so as long as your car is covered by it, they will do the work.
I had the recall performed last week. Walked in to get some expanding rivets and gave them the serial(i.e. last 7# of VIN). No argument, no charge, and a free car wash. They gave my engine bay a one-over with laughable pricing for items.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...postcount=4609

I was told that this recall does not have a timetable to be performed due to it being thru the NTHSA, unlike the subframe which was dictated by the terms of the class-action suit.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 11-30-2012, 02:21 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zongie View Post
Is it too late to get this done?
Somewhat late chiming in here, but for everyone's info:

There is no time limit on this recall (as is typical of most safety-related recalls).

The only time limit that NHTSA applies for FREE recall repairs is:

"There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined."
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 02 330i
i did the diy repair like 6 months ago ... before i do it took it to the dealer and they wanted to charge me 150 for it !!!! that was even after the recall was announced but i didn't know about it at that time !!! i hate dealerships

Last edited by undercovered; 12-19-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Omni Extaris

Mein Auto: The Axles of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercovered View Post
i did the diy repair like 6 months ago ... before i do it took it to the dealer and they wanted to charge me 150 for it !!!! that was even after the recall was announced but i didn't know about it at that time !!! i hate dealerships
Weatherford BMW in Berkeley wanted $1400 to fix it about 3 years ago

I took the car to my Volvo mechanic and he did it for free.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
Samuel Clemens

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i
Hello, i have a serious situation on my hands that i really need some help with... my 2001 325i bmw caught on fire yesterday as i was driving to work. the fire was in the back right hand corner of my trunk right where the battery is. Why or how it happened is unknown and considering i am only 20 without much cash i only had liability on the vehicle. I am extremely heart broken and refuse to believe a bmw just catches on fire for no reason without any sort of recall or reimbursement... is this recall have anything to do with my vehicle or do u have any much apppreciated advice to give me??
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntbimmer View Post
Hello, i have a serious situation on my hands that i really need some help with... my 2001 325i bmw caught on fire yesterday as i was driving to work. the fire was in the back right hand corner of my trunk right where the battery is. Why or how it happened is unknown and considering i am only 20 without much cash i only had liability on the vehicle. I am extremely heart broken and refuse to believe a bmw just catches on fire for no reason without any sort of recall or reimbursement... is this recall have anything to do with my vehicle or do u have any much apppreciated advice to give me??
did you read the recall or just post? it states the taillights will "stop working", not make the car catch fire
Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
Weatherford BMW in Berkeley wanted $1400 to fix it about 3 years ago

I took the car to my Volvo mechanic and he did it for free.
In my experience, any BMW dealer in CA is grossly corrupt with regard to taking advantage by overcharging. I pity you in CA who have to take your car to the dealer and never get out of your state.
Other dealers are high priced too, but stop short of being obscene. Captive audience and all you know.