Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 PM
DocBob

Mein Auto: BMW 550i X-Drive M-Sport
Question X5 vs Range Rover Sport

Has anyone compared or looked at the Range Rover Sport vs the X5?
How do they compare as far as ride, handling, value? How about lease rates?
Thanks in advance.
DocBob

2011 BMW 550i X-Drive
Carbon Black/Black Nappa
M-Sport Package
Active Ventilated seats
Convenience Pkg
Cold Weather
Premium Pkg 2
SAT
HUD
Smartphone
Spoiler
Clear Bra
K-40 Radar Detector
Modifications:
Delete X-Drive Badges
Carbon Black paint below rear bumper area
Jet Black paint front air intake area
Dinan Stage I Upgrade
Change tires to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
do search this topic has been discussed multiple times
in summary IMO/i owned x5 4.8 for 4 years and drove RRS ultiple times/ x5 is much better car
lease on RRS sucks, because of very low RV as well as MF not as competitive as BMW
I think this is year#6 or7 for current vesrion of RRS and they should do copmlete redesign in 2012 or 2013
Why would anybody get a car owned by Tata for 60K is beyond me..........
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103

Last edited by alex md; 09-03-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Getting any Range Rover/Land Rover automatically gets you a new best friend in the dealer's service department.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i
I've had both. I very much prefer both the looks and drive of the RRS but the overall experience (maintenance nightmare) makes it far less practical.

Lease rates are quite a bit more for the RRS. They claim to have the highest resale but the residuals don't reflect.

Overall I still prefer the RRS but have ended up w 2 X5s since selling my old one in 2008.

Both are due for model changes by 2014.

12 X5 50i Sport
06 Boxster S
08 X5 4.8i Sport (sold)
06 Range Rover Sport SC (sold)
03 330i Performance (sold)
Old 09-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Getting any Range Rover/Land Rover automatically gets you a new best friend in the dealer's service department.
Same could be said for the X5
Old 09-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: '15 35d MSport Carbon Blk
I have owned both

I have owned a 2006 RR Sport (HSE) and a 2010 3.0i X5, and now a 2012 X5 3.5i Premium.

They both handle well, much better than could be expected for such large vehicles. Draw.

I found the snow performance in the RRS to be somewhat disappointing, perhaps because my expectations were very high due to their "terrain dial". I am not 100% sure, but I believe it had all-season tires, just as the X5 has. The X5 (3.0) handled snow better, have not driven the 2012 in snow yet. Advantage X5.

Interior of the RRS was very nice, the leather was outstanding, the front windshield was electrified and heated so snow/ice would just "sheet" away, the back-seat was very comfortable and there was a lot of room for cargo. Advantage RRS.

The X5s interior isn't as refined but the electronics are much better. That is probably a function of my 2012 being 6 years newer technology, but even at the time, the RRS's tech was a little lacking. Electronics - Advantage X5

The engine power of the RRS was impressive but it took a little while to get pumping and it had the worst gas mileage of any car I have owned. I averaged 12mpg during the winter months and I drove very conservatively to get to that number. That was probably 70% city / 30% highway driving. Ultimately it was the awful gas mileage that doomed the car for me. Just couldn't get past the issue.

The 3.0 X5 was under-powered and had to kick down several gears to provide any BMW-like performance. However, the 3.5i is significantly better. The low-end torque is helpful and it can get-up and go when pushed. Advantage to the X5 3.5. And I am averaging 19.6 mpg with the X5 on the same type of driving mix as with the RRS. That is almost a 65% increase in mpg. Advantage X5.

Exterior appearance- I found the RRS to be just too boxy, but, obviously, that is extremely subjective. I prefer the traditional Range Rover (non-sport model) shape to the RRS but couldn't justify spending $90k on the full Range Rover, and I prefer the X5 shape to both of the Range Rovers' shapes.

Maintenance. I never had any problems with the RRS, despite Range Rover's reputation. However, at our dealer they didn't give you a loaner car, they had you rent a car (on site) from Enterprise. I found that a little odd. Have not had any issues with either X5 (knock on wood). Call the reliability a PUSH.

Finally, while the 3rd row isn't big in an X5, it isn't even an option on the Range Rovers, and our family finds the 3rd row nice to have in a pinch.

Hope that helps. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: SG 09' E90 335xi
Got a '11 x5d and brand new '11 RRS Lux. 20k miles on the d and only 200 on the RR. So far no complaints, but hopefully I don't jinx myself.

Anything specific just ask.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nood1es View Post
Got a '11 x5d and brand new '11 RRS Lux. 20k miles on the d and only 200 on the RR. So far no complaints, but hopefully I don't jinx myself.

Anything specific just ask.
Which one has a better ride in your opinion?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: SG 09' E90 335xi
The ride in the range drives a lot smoother over the roads. The seats also help, since they're soooo freaking comfy. My x5 doesn't have the premium seats but i've had them in my 3 and they still don't compare to the RR imo, unless there's a diff between the x5 and 3 series...ill retract it. But the seats in these things are really comfy, i'd compare them comfy wise to the new cayenne 18 point seats because that was what we had the car choices down to. Driving around town this thing is terrible gas wise compared to the D. Full tank of gas cost the same and they're about the same in size. But the RR just drinks gas like water, full tank for me is about 220miles compared to the D 400+. Driving around town i prefer the D cause of the low end torque. The RR's new v8 is nice, but the thing is pretty dang heavy and even with it in S mode, it's a pig. Anything else just ask.

P.S and the whole fridge in the center console is overrated, I mean it gets cold..but you can only have about 3 cans of soda in there. So don't get sold on that feature.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X6 35i, 2011 RRS
I have an '11 X6 35i and my better half drives an '11 RRS HSE LUX so I can probably give a pretty good comparo of the two.

The x6 has the sports package with Adaptive Drive and has a much more aggressive and sporty ride. The RRS just feels more "cushy", which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preference. You have to upgrade the the Supercharged RRS to get the active anti-roll suspension. The adaptive drive on the X6 actually makes the ride a little smoother on the X6 as well, handling the potholes and uneven roads remarkably well. As for power, the RRS "feels" like it has more under the hood at least at low speeds. The V8 is throatier and I find that there isn't much feather on the throttle, so you often just barely touch the gas and the thing lurches forward....Not in an unsafe way - it just kind of encourages you to drive more aggressively in the city. Now, if you gun it to highway speeds, the 35i clearly is faster.

My biggest annoyance with the RRS are the electronics. They seem archaic compared to the BMW. The touchscreen always has fingerprints on it, the rear-view camera is only marginally useful. The nav is confusing and the Sirius interface is terrible. I can never figure out how to do anything. The good news is that the RRS '12 refresh is going to upgrade all the electronics so hopefully things will improve.

I love the exterior styling of the RRS - it really has aged well. Hard to believe that the exterior hasn't changed much since '06 and is still the best looking SUV on the road IMHO. It's also hard to beat the RRS for value. Most options on the Bimmers are standard on the RRS, so if you price a pair up to match feature for feature, the Rover will win every time. That said, it was my experience that negotiating was much easier on the BMW, with better deals to be had.

The bottom line is that both are great vehicles. I chose the x6 as my DD and would do it again. I just love the way the X6 looks, rides, and handles. ALthough, next time, I want the 50i.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgclark View Post
I love the exterior styling of the RRS Hard to believe that the exterior hasn't changed much since '06 and is still the best looking SUV on the road IMHO.

I agree 100%. I love the X5 and the RR but their reliabilty records keep me from pulling the trigger. Even my BMW indie mechanic says he wouldn't buy an X5.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
I have a 2006 Range Rover HSE (full size) and recently ordered an X5 diesel for my wife. The RR has slightly over 60K on it and I have had very little trouble with it. I can't speak for the LR3/4 nor the RRS, however, my mechanic has clearly indicated that most of the trouble Land Rover has had has been with the LR3/4 and RRS. I purchased the RR used (12 months old) in 2007 with 18K on the odo (saved $28K from MSRP). I couldn't imagine leasing one due to the steep depreciation factor. Still had the full warranty and service package. If you get one, I'd definitely get one pre-owned and I would look at the full size RR.

In fact, from what I understand, the RR was engineered by BMW when they owned LR, however, built by Ford when they purchased LR from BMW. The LR3/4 and RRS were engineered by Ford and built by Ford. There are many parts in my RR that have the roundel emblem embossed on them. My year was the first year LR switched to the Jag derived engine (4.4L V8 with 305 hp) and a ZF tranny. I love the vehicle and will definitely purchase another one in the future.

We went with the X5 for two reasons. First, availability of a 3rd row/jump seats for the kids. Second, the diesel...my wife puts about 20K/year on the odo. Frankly, the most unreliable car we have ever owned is the 2004 Toyota Sienna we are replacing (tranny issues, replaced front doors due to incorrect spot weld, replaced wheel hub assembly, the list goes on and on and on). My 2003 M5 and 2006 RR have cost less to operate than the Toyota. Hopefully, the X5 will clear the "Toyota Quality " bench mark.

Finally, since TaTa has purchased Land Rover, I've noticed a genuine improvement in their customer service that frankly was lacking when Ford owned the brand. I know much of that is dependent upon the dealer, however, perhaps TaTa is putting the screws to their dealers to improve their customer service. Anyway, it has dramatically improved over the past 18 months.

Good luck.

2012 BMW X5 Diesel Platinum Bronze Metallic/Black Nevada Leather/Dark Burl Walnut Wood

2003 IIIM5 Oxford Green Metallic/Caramel/Dark Burl Walnut Wood

2010 Range Rover Supercharged Ipanema Sand/Sand with Navy piping

2006 Range Rover HSE Buckingham Blue/Parchment with Navy piping/American Cherry Wood....gone but not forgotten

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Bronze/Stone....gone but not forgotten

Last edited by The Green Beast; 09-13-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by helter View Post
Same could be said for the X5
actually getting the X5 will earn you new "arse" friends in the service department....
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 10-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Coupe
great post .. learned a lot ~~~my parents is thinking of buying a ranger rover ... i may need call them and tell them not to buy RR
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 SMG Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgclark View Post
I have an '11 X6 35i and my better half drives an '11 RRS HSE LUX so I can probably give a pretty good comparo of the two.

The x6 has the sports package with Adaptive Drive and has a much more aggressive and sporty ride. The RRS just feels more "cushy", which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your preference. You have to upgrade the the Supercharged RRS to get the active anti-roll suspension. The adaptive drive on the X6 actually makes the ride a little smoother on the X6 as well, handling the potholes and uneven roads remarkably well. As for power, the RRS "feels" like it has more under the hood at least at low speeds. The V8 is throatier and I find that there isn't much feather on the throttle, so you often just barely touch the gas and the thing lurches forward....Not in an unsafe way - it just kind of encourages you to drive more aggressively in the city. Now, if you gun it to highway speeds, the 35i clearly is faster.

My biggest annoyance with the RRS are the electronics. They seem archaic compared to the BMW. The touchscreen always has fingerprints on it, the rear-view camera is only marginally useful. The nav is confusing and the Sirius interface is terrible. I can never figure out how to do anything. The good news is that the RRS '12 refresh is going to upgrade all the electronics so hopefully things will improve.

I love the exterior styling of the RRS - it really has aged well. Hard to believe that the exterior hasn't changed much since '06 and is still the best looking SUV on the road IMHO. It's also hard to beat the RRS for value. Most options on the Bimmers are standard on the RRS, so if you price a pair up to match feature for feature, the Rover will win every time. That said, it was my experience that negotiating was much easier on the BMW, with better deals to be had.

The bottom line is that both are great vehicles. I chose the x6 as my DD and would do it again. I just love the way the X6 looks, rides, and handles. ALthough, next time, I want the 50i.

This is an excellent review...thanks. And thanks to the others with their thoughtful comments and MPG observations.

Question for kgclark - why do you say you want the 50i next time? Most of the reviews I have read actually say the 35i turbo engine is actually more balanced and quicker reving and obviously gets much better MPG. Guessing a combined rating on the 50i would be about 16 and probably more like 20 on the 35i right? Do you feel like your X6 35i is under powered in any situation?

My last two cars were Cayenne Twin Turbo and 2011 M3 so I love high HP cars, but in this case I'm not sure the 50i is worth the extra cash and fuel consumption.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i
You really have to drive both of them to understand. I found the 35 sufficient but extremely civilized and dull (I felt the same way in a Cayenne S). The RRS Supercharged (though not nearly as fast as the X5 50i) and the 50i both have a throaty sound and guts to back it up. It was a no brainer for me. Gas mileage does suffer but its an SUV. I get around 13mpg city on the 50i which is better than my old 4.8 (11.5 mpg city) and RRS (10) so i'm actually pleased. If you are really worried about gas consumption, look at the 5 series. Either way, it will be better than the Cayenne Turbo (but far less fun).

12 X5 50i Sport
06 Boxster S
08 X5 4.8i Sport (sold)
06 Range Rover Sport SC (sold)
03 330i Performance (sold)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 SMG Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_steve View Post
You really have to drive both of them to understand. I found the 35 sufficient but extremely civilized and dull (I felt the same way in a Cayenne S). The RRS Supercharged (though not nearly as fast as the X5 50i) and the 50i both have a throaty sound and guts to back it up. It was a no brainer for me. Gas mileage does suffer but its an SUV. I get around 13mpg city on the 50i which is better than my old 4.8 (11.5 mpg city) and RRS (10) so i'm actually pleased. If you are really worried about gas consumption, look at the 5 series. Either way, it will be better than the Cayenne Turbo (but far less fun).
That is good advice thanks. Your comments on the RRS supercharged regarding power and MPG are for the older model you owned or the newer model (2010+)? On the 2010+, I have read reports of guys getting closer to 18 MPG on commutes, mostly highway but some city with the new 5 liter RRS supercharged which is a pretty efficient engine on the highway as the supercharger has something like only a 1% parasitic effect when not in boost. There is a bypass valve which keeps the belt from spinning when you don't need the power. With the 2004 Cayenne Turbo I generally averaged 17 MPG and that was about 30% city / 70% highway. If I drove the speed limit I could do a highway trip and get over 20 MPG on highway, but I doubt any of us ever do that very often.

I hear you though on the 35i being sufficient but not as fun as the V8s. For the first time in my life I find myself actually taking MPG into consideration because I will be doing a lot of highway driving and would love to be in the high teens if possible on this next vehicle.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex md View Post
do search this topic has been discussed multiple times
in summary IMO/i owned x5 4.8 for 4 years and drove RRS ultiple times/ x5 is much better car
lease on RRS sucks, because of very low RV as well as MF not as competitive as BMW
I think this is year#6 or7 for current vesrion of RRS and they should do copmlete redesign in 2012 or 2013
Why would anybody get a car owned by Tata for 60K is beyond me..........
Get over it! Tata puts more money into and is more better at regulating Jaguar and Land Rover. They do not dilute the brand at all and keeps it separately from their Tata company. Both company are producing more varients and are improving now as compared to when they were owned by Ford. I see you are a bit narrow minded by not understanding what impact Tata has brought for both brands. I will not hesitate to buy either Jaguar and Land Rover now as compared to before.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 AM
BMW 1st timer

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
Yes I owned a 2006 RRS and the wife now has the X5. I would take the RRS all day everyday while she didnt like driving the RRS but absolutely loves her X5. You need to drive them both because thats the only way your really going to know. You can ask 100 people and get 100 different answers, but honestly they are both VERY nice vehicles.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: LR Disco II Saab 9-3 Aero
This is a one nice thread!

In my somber view, X5D adds a tad of "togetherness" and a punch, while keeping the 500 miles to a refill I guess (please correct if I am wrong!), while the RRS adds the macho, bigger "presence"/classic look, air up and down, go anywhere with a true 4x4 and low gearing, and MPG sucks big time, premium only; electronics are archaic. The biggest deciding factors I guess are the huge distances travelled on one tank on an X5D, vs. the "go-anywhere" on the RRS, plus its macho "presence" offset with its sucky thirsty engine (any variety, shame), the vast amounts of premium gas it guzzles.

On particularly spirited accelerations in RRS (s/c especially) I've noticed a strong tendency for the entire body to "lift its nose" as if it was a FWD, but yet again, I personally do not ever push my cars so hard, so it was not an issue for me personally. S/C RRS does lurch forward like crazy, even at a lightest touch on gas pedal. RRS does have an optional heated windshield too, a big saver during winter. Air up and down, go anywhere with its true 4x4 and just regular, non run-flat tires are all pluses for me.
My likes about the X5D circled around its HUGE pull off a stop, its togethreness, and stability under any circumstances in my extensive tests, as well as its huge fuel efficiency. My doubts have largely to do with its ability off road, specifically on sand, I like cruising on sand in Assateugue and in OBX. Run flats are of no help on sand, so i would need a set of regular rubbers (hope this does not void any warranty?). Because of all of this above I am also curious about the new Jeep GC, which rides on a mercedes's independent platform yet has the full 4x4, and an optional air on all corners, just like the RRS. Any thoughts, suggestions mightily appreciated!
Cheers

Last edited by denisk; 11-23-2011 at 12:49 AM.