Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
some thoughts on the 2012 Audi A6 2.0T 4-cylinder

Was out cruising in the vert tonight with the family and hit a light next to a current Audi S4. I took off a second or two before them not accelerating hard at all. They apparently didn't like that and went tearing past me at WOT. uhmmm, ok? Anyways, that got me thinking about Audis and realized I hadn't checked out their lineup in awhile.

So the A6 2.0T. You can only get it in FWD and only with the CVT. What? Is that right? No Quattro option, and no option for the ZF 8AT at least? It gets 25 mpg city and 33 mpg highway and 28 combined which is pretty darned good. In fact that's exactly what I'm projecting for the '12 528i with the N20 and RWD. If you don't want FWD or a CVT you have to go straight up to the 3.0T model. You can at least get the 5er with RWD or AWD though, and all will be coming with the ZF 8AT. So is their 2.0T model just an EPA/CAFE "special" model? I hardly ever see any A6's in my neck of the woods, but I wonder how many of these they expect to sell?

Then I clicked over to the A4 page and noticed that you can now get any engine that you want in the A4, as long as it's the 2.0T. eh?? When did that happen? No 90-degree or narrow-angle 3.2/3.6L VR6 engines anymore? And no 3.0T either? You're roped into getting the S4 now if you want anything more than the 2.0T. No wonder I've been seeing so many S4/S5's around, and never any A4 other than 2.0T models. S4 = 335i?? Is the S4 anywhere even close to the E90 M3's level? I'm guessing not since it's waaay down on power. The S5 gets a little closer with the wind-up 4.2L V8 but is still about 50hp shy. The S4 that went tearing past me at WOT had some nice acceleration, but it was about like my 335i. Nice but not "WOW". Didn't sound the least bit good either.

Geez maybe I shouldn't be complaining so much. I've been all pissed off about BMW dropping their naturally aspirated Inline-6 engines in favor of this N20 "2.0T", but you're still getting far more choice with BMW. No V8 in the A6 lineup either NA or forced induction, and no S6 listed either. Is that on hiatus for a year? What's coming in that?

Anyways, despite my whining about it, I would actually consider picking up a 12+ 528xi with the N20 engine. Nice all weather family hauler with all the space we'd need and should get at least 30 mpg hwy also. No way I'd want a FWD/CVT Audi A6 2.0T. Shocked they're not offering that with Quattro. Is that something else that's planned for a future model year?

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Non Quattro Audi models are for people who don't care about performance and just like the way the car looks and want to get in them at the lowest price point possible. So FWD, CVT, plastic interior, Halogen headlamps and leased, probably by a chick. That's why I'm still inclined to always stick with MB or BMW. At least the basic drivetrain and chassis architecture remains true. Although, this will soon be bastardized and your 15 year old daughter who once wanted a Jetta will now want a 1 or 2 series, with a 3 cyl motor or what ever they decide to throw out there.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
"Non Quattro Audi models are for people who don't care about performance and just like the way the car looks and want to get in them at the lowest price point possible. "

I guess. Just think it's a waste of a model though. No way I'd want another FWD car. I can't imagine too many of these things popping up in the DC area. Wondering if dealers would even be stocking them for test drives? Would be interesting to compare with the N20 528i/xi back to back but it's like Audi doesn't even want to play in the game. Are they purposely avoiding competing with BMW directly by only offering it with FWD, since they know a Quattro version would get compared with the 528xi. I'm guessing with the power advantage in the BMW, the numbers would favor the BMW by a bit.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)