Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 AW F10 550i
4000 lb. paper weight

I took delivery of my 2011 F10 550i on 6/25/11 and I must admit the sheer beauty and power of this car is matched only by the electrical problems I have experienced.
Within 2 weeks of delivery, I had to return my car because the passenger airbag and engine light came on and to my chagrin, I was given a smelly 328 loaner

After the dealer performed the repairs, I had the unfortunate experience of returning the car again for a recurring passenger airbag light (it is still on) and a jerking motion that occurred initially during the first 30 seconds of starting the car and stepping on the gas

I returned the car and they could not duplicate the problem.

Recently, I drove my car to meet up with some friends in NYC and I attempted to lock the doors (I have CA), too no avail the doors did not lock? I attempted to arm the car by pressing the alarm and once again no response? I chalked the experience up to a "RF" issue and manually locked the doors.

Some of my co-workers wanted to see my new ride so I went back outside and attempted to open the door. This time the doors would not open, so I had to depress the key fob and opened the door from the door handle.

Unable to start the car, I was greeted with 2 consecutive messages that read:

1. "Remote control. Engine will not start"
2. "Hold remote control to steering column"

As my co-worker queried me on the obvious electrical issue of my new BMW, I continued my attempt to start my car. I placed the key next to the steering column, however, I was unable to start my car

Extremely frustrated (and embarrassed) I initiated BMW SOS. The operator was unable to assist me and connected me to BMW roadside for additional instructions

Roadside assistance indicated that they would tow my car to the nearest BMW facility. I declined their solution and called Open Road BMW (the Dealership where I purchased the vehicle).

Fortunately, I was able to speak with the Sales Manager Stephen. After informing him of my situation, his first response was "WOW!" He also indicated that he never experienced this before and advised me to put the key next to the steering column and depress the brake pedal. Needles to say, this went on for about 10 minutes and eventually my car started After the car was on for about 5 minutes, my co-worker and I went back inside the restaurant.

Approximately 30 minutes later, I attempted to use the remote and once again the car would not respond Again, I used the key to open the door and the car would not start I placed the remote next to the steering column, waited for 5 minutes and the car started (and the jerking motion was back).

I drove home with the remote nestled on top of the steering column.

I have less than 3500 miles on my car and besides these recent events, I LOVE THIS CAR, however, I am rapidly losing confidence in the reliability of my new automobile.

Once again, I have to return my car (3rd time in 2 months).

I have lurked this forum for many years and this is my 1st post, however, I have never come across this issue?

If I have another issue with this car, I would be open to returning this automobile.
Any thoughts/suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I was waiting to post pictures of my AW 550i M-Pack beauty until i completed my mods (black matte grille, coco mats and whitelines thus far), however, I am not putting another dime in this car until I am certain that I did not order a tall glass of LEMONaide.

Last edited by Black 5; 09-04-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Join the club. The car is highly sensitive to electronic gremlins. My CA stopped working and they replaced the key fob battery. Everything was fine. Then it broke again and they had to replace the door handle. Hopefully it's something simple like this.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:19 PM

Whoa So if they cant figure this out, will they replace the engine? lol
Old 09-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
Keep track of every single day the car is out of service and if they're able to resolve the issues or not is all I can say. Sorry you've been having so much trouble...

more pics here
Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Lemon it. Electronic gremlins are impossible to trace.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-04-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 5 View Post
Whoa So if they cant figure this out, will they replace the engine? lol
Hope not. Sounds like the key fob battery, hopefully that's all it is. If you drive a lot of short trips or the car sits in a garage a lot and not driven on a daily basis, I would seriously think about getting a smart battery charger
Old 09-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Just curious how good is BMWNA with respect to customer service/Support with issues like these?

I had some bad experiences with Honda NA..I hope these is not the case with BMW as the price is three times .
Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Just curious how good is BMWNA with respect to customer service/Support with issues like these?

I had some bad experiences with Honda NA..I hope these is not the case with BMW as the price is three times .
Depends what it is, every case is handled on an individual basis. Some cars get bought back, other owners get a part of their lease or purchase paid for, others like Spaulding "get nothing and like it". A lot of it has to do with the laws in your state and if the selling dealership is willing to go to bat for you. My experience is that they have been exceptional at dealing with customer complaints.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Sounds like it could be some electrical power issues. I believe it was user emilner that had a problem like this and it was something simple that wouldn't be expected.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
Dang good luck with everything. You didnt put on metallic tints did you?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post

the truth is when you press the SOS button, the intelligence of the personnel you are getting appears to be extremely low or they are just tired:tsp:
I mean if you are paying 400 a year you should be able to have someone listen to you before they start talking...oh and once they start..its over
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Might be the battery on the remote.
Sometimes you wear your remote in you backpacker or somewhere when you seat down
the buttons get pressed and it drains the battery. I had this thing happen to me many times..
you may want to review and track where you store your key everyday?..

Quote:
I took delivery of my 2011 F10 550i on 6/25/11 and I must admit the sheer beauty and power of this car is matched only by the electrical problems I have experienced.
Within 2 weeks of delivery, I had to return my car because the passenger airbag and engine light came on and to my chagrin, I was given a smelly 328 loaner

After the dealer performed the repairs, I had the unfortunate experience of returning the car again for a recurring passenger airbag light (it is still on) and a jerking motion that occurred initially during the first 30 seconds of starting the car and stepping on the gas

I returned the car and they could not duplicate the problem.

Recently, I drove my car to meet up with some friends in NYC and I attempted to lock the doors (I have CA), too no avail the doors did not lock? I attempted to arm the car by pressing the alarm and once again no response? I chalked the experience up to a "RF" issue and manually locked the doors.

Some of my co-workers wanted to see my new ride so I went back outside and attempted to open the door. This time the doors would not open, so I had to depress the key fob and opened the door from the door handle.

Unable to start the car, I was greeted with 2 consecutive messages that read:

1. "Remote control. Engine will not start"
2. "Hold remote control to steering column"

As my co-worker queried me on the obvious electrical issue of my new BMW, I continued my attempt to start my car. I placed the key next to the steering column, however, I was unable to start my car

Extremely frustrated (and embarrassed) I initiated BMW SOS. The operator was unable to assist me and connected me to BMW roadside for additional instructions

Roadside assistance indicated that they would tow my car to the nearest BMW facility. I declined their solution and called Open Road BMW (the Dealership where I purchased the vehicle).

Fortunately, I was able to speak with the Sales Manager Stephen. After informing him of my situation, his first response was "WOW!" He also indicated that he never experienced this before and advised me to put the key next to the steering column and depress the brake pedal. Needles to say, this went on for about 10 minutes and eventually my car started After the car was on for about 5 minutes, my co-worker and I went back inside the restaurant.

Approximately 30 minutes later, I attempted to use the remote and once again the car would not respond Again, I used the key to open the door and the car would not start I placed the remote next to the steering column, waited for 5 minutes and the car started (and the jerking motion was back).

I drove home with the remote nestled on top of the steering column.

I have less than 3500 miles on my car and besides these recent events, I LOVE THIS CAR, however, I am rapidly losing confidence in the reliability of my new automobile.

Once again, I have to return my car (3rd time in 2 months).

I have lurked this forum for many years and this is my 1st post, however, I have never come across this issue?

If I have another issue with this car, I would be open to returning this automobile.
Any thoughts/suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I was waiting to post pictures of my AW 550i M-Pack beauty until i completed my mods (black matte grille, coco mats and whitelines thus far), however, I am not putting another dime in this car until I am certain that I did not order a tall glass of LEMONaide.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I will be meeting with my SA on Wednesday and I will let you know what transpired.
I don't have any tints on the car and I drive the car everyday, In fact I switch keys often as my wife also loves to drive "our F10."
Old 09-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. I will be meeting with my SA on Wednesday and I will let you know what transpired.
I don't have any tints on the car and I drive the car everyday, In fact I switch keys often as my wife also loves to drive "our F10."
bring both keys with you to the dealer and have them check the batteries in both key fobs. Save yourself from going back there again.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
bring both keys with you to the dealer and have them check the batteries in both key fobs. Save yourself from going back there again.
Will do
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
+1

Request that both batteries be replaced regardless of the results of their check. It sure sounds like the remote battery to me and if they screw up their "check" - unlikely but possible - then you will be dealing with this over and over again until they figure out they screwed up when checking the batteries the first time around.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011-AW 535i Cinimon Int
Such a shame. The car is as good as it gets, hopefully your problems are resolved so you can enjoy it like we do
Old 09-06-2011, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewifebp View Post
Sounds like it could be some electrical power issues. I believe it was user emilner that had a problem like this and it was something simple that wouldn't be expected.
My car went in for a new battery and alternator.

Funny thing is 3 months later my car is back at the dealer today for a new battery! UGH...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
My car went in for a new battery and alternator.

Funny thing is 3 months later my car is back at the dealer today for a new battery! UGH...
Did the dealer do anything to accommodate you?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Did the dealer do anything to accommodate you?
Nothing other than give me a 528 loaner, not that I would expect more. Frankly it has been a pleasure dealing with BMW of Oyster Bay.

On a side note while in they noticed the car needed rear pads and rotors. I am surprised, I have never gone through rear pads in 10k miles!!!

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 09-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Nothing other than give me a 528 loaner, not that I would expect more. Frankly it has been a pleasure dealing with BMW of Oyster Bay.

On a side note while in they noticed the car needed rear pads and rotors. I am surprised, I have never gone through rear pads in 10k miles!!!
10K miles seems excessive for brakes unless the rotors warped. Do you use the Auto Hold" feature?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
10K miles seems excessive for brakes unless the rotors warped. Do you use the Auto Hold" feature?
No, I don't usually use the auto hold feature. It does seem excessive, usually I get over 40k on a set of rear pads, I have never changed a set of rear rotors...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
I agree. May be something else is causing excessive wear on the pads. My Honday odyssey with 46K miles still has the original pads. The last time I took it to the dealer thay said it has about 15% left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post