Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-04-2011, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Red face Girl in need of help with negotiating prices!!

Hey guys.. I need some help from the BMW experts out there

So I'm trying to buy a new BMW 328i Coupe and have been having the worst luck making a deal. At first I was trying to get a 2011 328i Coupe in Mineral White and must have navigation, but apparently there is only like 1 left in the country according to the dealership and it has this M Sports package that makes it around $47k and the M package is not even something I want in the car. The dealership won't budge on the price at all and it annoys me because 2011 is basically over and it was a demo car. I think they are just being like this because I'm a girl and I don't really have that much negotiating skills.

So now I was thinking of just ordering a brand new 2012 model and waiting the 2-3 months, but I need your help! What price should I be able to get this down to? I know the value package is gone for the new models.

2012 BMW 328i Coupe Mineral White, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Trim, Automatic with the Premium Package, and Navigation. I was thinking $43,500 after all taxes and fees. Help me! Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerJamez View Post
...So now I was thinking of just ordering a brand new 2012 model and waiting the 2-3 months, but I need your help! What price should I be able to get this down to? I know the value package is gone for the new models.

2012 BMW 328i Coupe Mineral White, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Trim, Automatic with the Premium Package, and Navigation. I was thinking $43,500 after all taxes and fees. Help me!
The Edmunds.com TMV (True Market Value) seems like a fairly good tool - use it as a starting point. You can usually negotiate BMWs to somewhere around $1500 above invoice (which may be $2500 or more below MSRP?) Hard to tell, since the dealers make most of their money from options.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The key is to shop around any if you want deals stick to a 2011.

The previous post mentioned Edmunds, there you can email a bunch of your local dealers' "Internet Sales Departments", give them the specs, ask for a quote, then ask one if he likes to beat the other's quote.

The best part is you don't even have tell them you are a girl.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
You are in a tough spot. You are trying to find a fairly specific car at the end of a model Year You can't order a car at this point and the 2012's wont be available for a few months.

That said, this dealer is an idiot if he refuses to deal. Either wait and order the e92 you want or settle for a car in a different color.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The Edmunds.com TMV (True Market Value) seems like a fairly good tool - use it as a starting point. You can usually negotiate BMWs to somewhere around $1500 above invoice (which may be $2500 or more below MSRP?) Hard to tell, since the dealers make most of their money from options.
+1 - You need to do some of the work here. Give us the total MSRP and invoice price for the car you want.

This is just off the top of my head, but I've been doing this for probably longer than you/ve been alive, but I think there is a very slim chance of getting what you want out the door for $43,500.

BMW North America (and other German/European brands) are not like American auto makers that build like crazy and then have loads of last year's model they need to sell. BMW NA tries very hard to import exactly the number of cars they think they can sell that year. So, the tables are kind of turned here from what it might be like at a Cadillac dealer. In this situation there is more demand than supply of a specifically optioned car and you have less bargaining power. All that said, BMW may offer dealers non-published incentives to sell the 2011 stock.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2015 M235i
I don't think it makes much sense, but unless the dealer has a ton of these still on the lot, they're going to try to force top dollar for those who really need a specific model/optioned car. You can always tell them to keep you in mind if they decide to come down on the price. I'm sure the tide may change and they may be more willing to negotiate a fairer deal when it suits them.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Best advice I can give is work with the Internet sales department of the dealership. They are more willing to bargain with you then the regular sales people. I was able to get my 335is that I ordered for about -750 under invoice by going this route. Made two local dealers fight for my business then went with the one with the better offer.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Well, how much are you tryna take off? You probably won't be able to take so much off especially since it has M sport (a great package btw)

You could probably get a CPO 328 with no options... there are a ton of those around.

Last time I went shopping for a car, a few years ago, I found the car that I REALLY wanted but the dealer did not want to budge on the price at all. I ended up walking on the deal and buying a car slightly less from somewhere else. Every day I regret not giving in to the dealer's demands hahahaha.

But since this car has an option you don't care for, I would just skip it and look elsewhere. Keep your options open for CPO.... You could get one for like $10,000 cheaper than brand new but only like 30,000 miles which is still new to me.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Sedan
Agree with the internet department and use email to narrow down your search to dealers that are willing to negotiate. Not sure how much the girl thing will affect the negotiating, but if you are using email, they won't even know.

Also, you might want to wider your preferences a bit to get a better deal. Chose a couple colors or be more flexible on options. You could also try carsdirect.com or local warehouse clubs like costco or sams club.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Through my insurance company (USAA) I was able to buy my 328, a Lexus GS350, and my wife's RX350 for $500 over invoice. Possibly other insurance companies or warehouse stores can negotiate a similar transaction.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i sedan
I agree with the others who said deal with internet sales advisors over the other salespeople. These folks tend to be more straightforward. Also, depending on your area try to hit as many dealerships as you can and get them to compete for your business.

In my recent purchase experience, I emailed dealerships in San Antonio, Austin, and Houston to see who could give me the best deal. In the end, the Austin dealership was the most helpful. They were the only ones who emailed me a full breakdown of the invoice price and MSRP of each individual option. Other dealerships were either afraid to or unwilling to do the same. Rather, they wanted to just use a single price which concealed where they were getting their numbers from.

They quoted me a price of 2% over invoice for ordering a car from the factory to my spec (before incentives were applied) I *may* have been able to get a better deal elsewhere but honestly I liked the way I was treated and felt they earned my business. Other dealerships were trying to tell me that Edmunds' invoice price was wrong even though the price breakdown given to me from BMW of Austin matched Edmunds dollar for dollar. Nothing pisses me off more than going to a dealership and having their prices not line up to my own calculations.

I really like negotiating via email as its not as much of a high pressure situation, and you have time to analyze the prices they throw at you. The best way to walk into a dealership is with a price already negotiated, so that you're just signing papers and picking up your ride.

Good luck in your car shopping and let us know if we can help!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
You need to state when you need the car, how much effort you are willing to put forth for getting the best price.
Also if you order the car you get what you want. Ordering via the internet or know BMW dealerships is the best way to go if you don't mind traveling to get the car.
The dealer whether Reeves, etc in Tampa maybe able to deal with you too. I would check Bert Smith, Reeves, and Fields since they are all close via the internet and see what they can do.

There is no better pricing I am aware of unless you do Euro Delivery than USAA pricing. It is close to wholesale as you will get...

Last edited by fun2drive; 09-05-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E93
Like many people said start at the TMV price and shop around. Not all BMW dealerships are the same. Some will be more willing to help you out than others. Its possible they might give you a hard time because your a girl. I had a similar but different bad experience at Freehold BMW in NJ a few years back because the sales reps would not take me seriously. At the time I was 25 years old but being asian I looked like I was 20 lol! I was looking for a 3 series convertible and after 5 min of negotation the rep tells me "hey, not everyone can afford a BMW". The next day i went to BMW of Morristown and they treated me like a valued customer. I got a good deal and bought the car i wanted on the spot.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
...also, the number of dealerships in an area may very well play a role. If one dealership is the only game in town...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
If you are totally hot, fly me down to FL, let me stay with you, I will get you invoice +$500 in pricing.

This is a Furball special

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerJamez View Post
Hey guys.. I need some help from the BMW experts out there

So I'm trying to buy a new BMW 328i Coupe and have been having the worst luck making a deal. At first I was trying to get a 2011 328i Coupe in Mineral White and must have navigation, but apparently there is only like 1 left in the country according to the dealership and it has this M Sports package that makes it around $47k and the M package is not even something I want in the car. The dealership won't budge on the price at all and it annoys me because 2011 is basically over and it was a demo car. I think they are just being like this because I'm a girl and I don't really have that much negotiating skills.

So now I was thinking of just ordering a brand new 2012 model and waiting the 2-3 months, but I need your help! What price should I be able to get this down to? I know the value package is gone for the new models.

2012 BMW 328i Coupe Mineral White, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Trim, Automatic with the Premium Package, and Navigation. I was thinking $43,500 after all taxes and fees. Help me! Thanks!
If no one has mentioned it already, I recommend trying truecar.com. I have found edmunds TMV to be consistently higher than the going market price.

Welcome to the forum and good luck finding your new car.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
Through my insurance company (USAA) I was able to buy my 328, a Lexus GS350, and my wife's RX350 for $500 over invoice. Possibly other insurance companies or warehouse stores can negotiate a similar transaction.
Truecar.com. Similar to edmunds TMV. I also thought USAA was giving me a deal. Sure enough, its available to everyone.
2006 X3 (03/07 - 1/12)
1995 325i (05/06 - 3/09)
1985 325e (08/00 - 12/04)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman103099 View Post
Truecar.com. Similar to edmunds TMV. I also thought USAA was giving me a deal. Sure enough, its available to everyone.
Edmunds does not include ad. and training fee, once those are added they are always quoting higher than truecar.com in my experience.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
By far my best experiences purchasing a car, new or used, have come using the internet sales team. You negotiate on your own time, aren't held captive while the salesman and the manager play ping pong with you for several hours, and you can be in negotiations with several dealrships in your region or country at the same time.

For example, I recently purchased a CPO 2008 335i last Memorial Day, and went into to the dealership to test drive and see what kind of deals they had. When I first got on the lot, a salesman walked out and told me the car and every other CPO was $2000 off sticker price for a Memorial Day deal, plus 0.9% for 36 months through BMW. I thought, "perfect", the $2000 off right there put the price of the car below what KBB and other online sites estimated the value at, plus the financing was 1.5% less then what my local credit union pre approved me for with perfect credit. Flash forward to after the test drive during negotiations, the salesman says he made a mistake, and my car wasn't one that receives the $2000 discount, and the financing was going to be 3.5% for 36 months, despite the actual window of the car being painted with a huge 0.9%. Their excuse was that the 0.9% promo is no longer available. Naturally, I immediatly walked out of the BMW dealership despite their pleas.

Fastforward an hour later while I am playing a round of golf. I e-mail the same dealers internet sales director, who gives me the exact same car with $2000 off discount, an extra $1000 off for their "internet special", and the 0.9% financing. All of this took only 3 email exchanges and the car was mine before I reached the back 9. After the round I went back to the dealer, where the same salesman walks out to me with a "I knew you would be back" look. I quickly walk past him, tell him I purchased the car through their internet sales director with all the goodies initally promised, and his jaw dropped. It took me 20 minutes to sign the papers, and while they were waiting for me to come in the car was washed and detailed. When you negotiate on your own time it's much easier to be stern with dealerships because you aren't a captive audience, and you really have no clue whose on the other end so you can be as blunt as you want to be if you are usually a nervous person. This is especially true if you are going to trade in your vehicle when they can't take your car for "inspection" for several hours and prevent you from a timely walk out if negotiations go sour.

I also purchased a G37 Sedan for my wife last year via the internet after test driving, and actually had 5 dealerships in Texas (where I'm from) negotiating with me before I finally got the right price. This dealer even delivered the car for me at no extra cost and the papers were signed via next day air. Obviously some dealerships and salesmen are genuinely good folks that will take care of their customers, but after experiencing the joy of online car purchases, I will never roll the dice into the dealership again except to test drive.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Sedan
I had left a deposit for a factory order 328i sedan just a week ago. It will have M-sports package, premium package, heated seats, harman kardon and xenon headlights. The MSRP was over $45,000 and the invoice price was over $42,000. I was able to get it for $40,990 including all non-DMV related fees.

It certainly helped that it was a cash price and the dealership has a > $1000 holdback for the car at this time. It is also my local dealership where I will do the maintenance. But I would not even pay the invoice price for the car you described.

Edmunds TMV price is way too high in my experience with several cars.

Last edited by 328 M-Sport; 09-07-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riburn3 View Post
By far my best experiences purchasing a car, new or used, have come using the internet sales team. You negotiate on your own time, aren't held captive while the salesman and the manager play ping pong with you for several hours, and you can be in negotiations with several dealrships in your region or country at the same time.

For example, I recently purchased a CPO 2008 335i last Memorial Day, and went into to the dealership to test drive and see what kind of deals they had. When I first got on the lot, a salesman walked out and told me the car and every other CPO was $2000 off sticker price for a Memorial Day deal, plus 0.9% for 36 months through BMW. I thought, "perfect", the $2000 off right there put the price of the car below what KBB and other online sites estimated the value at, plus the financing was 1.5% less then what my local credit union pre approved me for with perfect credit. Flash forward to after the test drive during negotiations, the salesman says he made a mistake, and my car wasn't one that receives the $2000 discount, and the financing was going to be 3.5% for 36 months, despite the actual window of the car being painted with a huge 0.9%. Their excuse was that the 0.9% promo is no longer available. Naturally, I immediatly walked out of the BMW dealership despite their pleas.

Fastforward an hour later while I am playing a round of golf. I e-mail the same dealers internet sales director, who gives me the exact same car with $2000 off discount, an extra $1000 off for their "internet special", and the 0.9% financing. All of this took only 3 email exchanges and the car was mine before I reached the back 9. After the round I went back to the dealer, where the same salesman walks out to me with a "I knew you would be back" look. I quickly walk past him, tell him I purchased the car through their internet sales director with all the goodies initally promised, and his jaw dropped. It took me 20 minutes to sign the papers, and while they were waiting for me to come in the car was washed and detailed. When you negotiate on your own time it's much easier to be stern with dealerships because you aren't a captive audience, and you really have no clue whose on the other end so you can be as blunt as you want to be if you are usually a nervous person. This is especially true if you are going to trade in your vehicle when they can't take your car for "inspection" for several hours and prevent you from a timely walk out if negotiations go sour.

I also purchased a G37 Sedan for my wife last year via the internet after test driving, and actually had 5 dealerships in Texas (where I'm from) negotiating with me before I finally got the right price. This dealer even delivered the car for me at no extra cost and the papers were signed via next day air. Obviously some dealerships and salesmen are genuinely good folks that will take care of their customers, but after experiencing the joy of online car purchases, I will never roll the dice into the dealership again except to test drive.
Nice story, I got a question for you though. When I bought my car from the local dealership from the Internet sales dept. I thought the advisor would take car of my delivery but it turned out only the regular floor advisor do that. I was pretty disappointed about that since my Internet advisor was very easy to work with and catered to my needs.

Was it the same for you and it would have been a funny/awkward situation if it was the sales advisor you walked out on before assigned to it.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Nope, I only dealt with the Internet sales director and the regular finance people after the price and details had been agreed to. I'm sure different dealerships do it differently though.

That said, I would have loved going through my same salesman/manager tandum after the internet deal went through. It would have been awkward for them and hilarious for me.

While I was waiting for the car to be brought around to pick up, I chatted with the internet sales director, and she basically told me that in the showroom the salesmen and regular managers are told to go by the standard "let me run it by my manager" make the customer wait routine, while the internet sales team is told to be firm in negotiations, but if the customer is savvy, they already have a pre-determined bottom line without needing approval, so they can cut to the chase much fatser. She said every year internet sales have picked up for her despite overall decline in total sales at her dealership. It's just too convenient to be able to get the hard work out of the way before you even go into the dealership.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
you can use www.carsdirect.com
or
http://midatlantic.aaa.com/CarDrivin...ying/Overview/
or
Costco Auto Buying program
or
http://www.bjsauto.com/
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Autobytel is pretty good. Allows negotiating with different dealers through internet
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 335d & X5 50i
It's an expensive car. Unless you need it asap order a 2012 with exactly the color and options you want.

I prefer to go into the dealership for my negotiating session fix...if you do, make an appointment later in the afternoon for test drive and afterwards sit down and negotiate. Later is better because they'll want to go home too. I'd say 3 hours before closing..1 hour for test drive...2 hours for negotiating.

Make it fun...bring up every crazy excuse in the book why their price sucks, and your price is fair. This means you have do your homework like the previous posts say - cost of the car and any incentives. Keep the mood light and be reasonable ($500 above invoice is hard, $1000 is reasonable).

Start at invoice and if you get to $1000 above (before incentives) stick to that number and if after a 1/2 hour they don't meet that price leave. Then work them over on email for a couple of days and if things look good make another appointment in the middle of the week when it's light. You'll get their full attention and be able to close the deal.

Oh yeah bring someone for support.

Maybe you can consider Euro delivery too I think it's $2K off invoice?