Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4i
Z4 to an M3

Hello dear BMW enthusiasts,

I returned my 2009 Alpine white with red interior Z4 3.5i for a buy back from BMW last Friday. The car had multiple problems with the fuel pumps and the injectors so I got fed up. I did love the car it was a fully loaded with 6MT. I am a little sad that itís gone but now itís time to get into another car.
I looked at everything out there and seems like I want to stay with BMW the current car that I want to get into is 2011 BMW E93 M3, the car is fully loaded again with every option but the 19 inch wheels. I was in love with my 6MT but the car has a DCT and I'm not so familiar with it. What are your thoughts of switching from a Z4 3.5i 6MT to E93 M3 DCT? This will be my first M car and my first DCT car. I wasn't ready to give up having a convertible that is why I'm going with E93 even with knowing the best M3 would be the E92. The M3 has the premium audio and I heard its better then the premium audio I had in the Z4. The M is Silverstone Metallic with Bamboo Beige Novillo Leather and Sycamore Anthracite Wood trim.
Please share your thoughts my fellow BMW experts, thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
On a gut level, you want to accept the 2008 BMW M3 Convertible's limitations, because it delivers so many of the right sensations ó the insistent tone of the workaholic V8, the exhaust pop on downshifts, the beads of sweat that form on your sunburned forehead.
Yet, for all the benefits of its retractable hardtop, this M3 is too heavy for its own good, so its handling performance numbers simply aren't those of a serious performance car. And when the asking price balloons past $80,000, they really need to be.
Full Test: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible With M DCT
Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to AKAGodSent
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic85 View Post

I returned my 2009 Alpine white with red interior Z4 3.5i for a buy back from BMW last Friday. The car had multiple problems with the fuel pumps and the injectors so I got fed up. I did love the car it was a fully loaded with 6MT. I am a little sad that itís gone but now itís time to get into another car.
I looked at everything out there and seems like I want to stay with BMW the current car that I want to get into is 2011 BMW E93 M3, the car is fully loaded again with every option but the 19 inch wheels. I was in love with my 6MT but the car has a DCT and I'm not so familiar with it. What are your thoughts of switching from a Z4 3.5i 6MT to E93 M3 DCT? This will be my first M car and my first DCT car. I wasn't ready to give up having a convertible that is why I'm going with E93 even with knowing the best M3 would be the E92. The M3 has the premium audio and I heard its better then the premium audio I had in the Z4. The M is Silverstone Metallic with Bamboo Beige Novillo Leather and Sycamore Anthracite Wood trim.
Overall, my M3 puts a smile on my face every minute of the day that I'm in it. At times though I feel as if I don't deserve it; I hardly use even a fraction of the potential that this car has but appreciate the piece of mind that if/when I need it to do something spur of the moment, which usually 99% of others can't, it'll deliver every time.

I've never had a manual, but the DCT isn't that hard to get used to and you can always play with the paddle shifters if you get bored . I have the enhanced sound system, LOVE IT, especially with the top down, it is MUCH better than my previous 2008 335i with upgraded sound. Oh, and the exhaust note (stock) is great to listen to as well (top up or down).
Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Wht DCT?
get the manual! no?
IMO the luck of the third petal is ruining the experience on this car

its like...having...XXX.with 4 protections on top of each other...

Quote:

Old 09-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Full Test: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible With M DCT

On a gut level, you want to accept the 2008 BMW M3 Convertible's limitations, because it delivers so many of the right sensations ó the insistent tone of the workaholic V8, the exhaust pop on downshifts, the beads of sweat that form on your sunburned forehead.
Yet, for all the benefits of its retractable hardtop, this M3 is too heavy for its own good, so its handling performance numbers simply aren't those of a serious performance car. And when the asking price balloons past $80,000, they really need to be.
convertible M3: 4145 pounds 1hp per 10pounds
sedan: 3726 1hp per 9 pounds
coupe with carbon:3704 pounds 1hp per 8.95 pounds...

so the convertible gives a full extra pound to be carried on each HP...
kind of a lot huh?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
Quote:

If you like the enjoyment of a MT, don't do it! After driving MT cars for ~ 40 yrs, I was talked into an 08 Z4si with auto/paddles - bad mistake. I'm now driving an 11 E93 M3 with 6MT - the pleasure of driving is back!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Thumbs up to the manual tranny. There simply isn't a substitute for it (yet).

As for the weight, yes, it is heavy and I would have preferred a soft top with less weight, but I am not sure if I agree with the conclusions from InsideLine. The sound from the V8 is intoxicating especially with the top down, and while it does suffer from extra pounds (about 2-3 passengers worth), the feedback and steering precision is still there. This is much more than what I can say about the much maligned f10, which is heavy *and* lacking BMW signature steering characteristics.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 09-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4i
Finally got the car guys and I must say itís an unbelievable car, the Z was very nice but the M3 is something else, I love everything about it. I'll post pictures soon.