Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Merc Convert

Mein Auto: '08 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Who peed in your cheerios? Where did I say that he should pay 15k? That's for a brand new 2011. Tacoma's are build since at least 1995 so you can choose your price from pretty much 1k depending on which year. I bet that a 5k Tacoma will be a safer bet than a 5k Jeep GC.
You obviously don't know the Tacoma market and history so let me explain:

Do you realize that A TON of 1st Gen Tacoma's now make their life as Brillo pads? They're going the way of the dinosaur on account of the frame problems and it is very sad since so many people are taking the 1.5x KBB value instead of frame replacement. They're VERY hard to find and have the longstanding premium to boot because it's a Toyota.

I also bet that a $5k Tacoma will be a '96 with 300,000 miles on it and a $5k Grand Cherokee will be an '01 with 150k miles on it.

2008 550i M Sport Carbon Black on Black 6AT SAT

When in doubt, find row zed.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 535xi M
I had a 99 Jeep GC Limited, and while it was a great car when it had lower miles, after it got over 100k it was a money pit. I'd avoid them. Maybe a Jeep Cherokee (boxy kind, 6 cyl, no frills). Or as mentioned, an import pickup would be nice as you could also haul stuff. A 100k Tacoma would probably do well. The Accord/Camry suggestion is a good one as well for gas mileage. I had a Maxima a while back that was incredibly reliable. Lots of good options out there. I had considered getting a sports car and a winter beater so I've given these some thought, and figured I'd spend what you're looking at as well.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93/335i
You can get a used 02-03 Nissan Maxima with the 3.5L engine for about $5k used now, and they'll fit right in in bad parts of town.

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/maxima/2002/?sub=sedan

I'd go for one of those over a Camry or Accord simply because resale is a lot worse on Nissans so you can get them cheaper. I bought a used 1999 Maxima 5MT way back when off lease with 43k miles. Had it till 160k and it was a great car. Not problem free, just some dumb sensors once in awhile, minor A/C repair <$300 at one point, and it chewed through ignition coils which I replaced myself. Kept spares and tools in the car with me along with my OBD-II reader. You know you're slumming it when you pull over to the side of the road, check the code, pop the hood, and then replace the cylinder #5 ignition coil for the third time in a year and then go back on your merry way 10 minutes later as if nothing had happened.

more pics here
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseafc View Post
You obviously don't know the Tacoma market and history so let me explain:

Do you realize that A TON of 1st Gen Tacoma's now make their life as Brillo pads? They're going the way of the dinosaur on account of the frame problems and it is very sad since so many people are taking the 1.5x KBB value instead of frame replacement. They're VERY hard to find and have the longstanding premium to boot because it's a Toyota.

I also bet that a $5k Tacoma will be a '96 with 300,000 miles on it and a $5k Grand Cherokee will be an '01 with 150k miles on it.
I know enough to conclude that you are wrong in saying that it will cost 15k to get a good used Tacoma.

Last edited by solstice; 09-07-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Do you have insurance on your 5?

Your beater can be vandalized just as easily as the Beemer.

Call me a skeptic, but I've never understood the rationale for babying a standard production vehicle. I buy cars to drive them, and I buy art to appreciate its beauty (and in value).

Enjoy your BMW!

Also, where are you driving in Chicago that's so bad?

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Get a 5 year old VW Golf two litre, with snow tires.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
Do you have insurance on your 5?

Your beater can be vandalized just as easily as the Beemer.

Call me a skeptic, but I've never understood the rationale for babying a standard production vehicle. I buy cars to drive them, and I buy art to appreciate its beauty (and in value).

Enjoy your BMW!

Also, where are you driving in Chicago that's so bad?
Saying that somebody finds a design beautiful, and sees their car as a form of art, regardless of how mass-produced it is (which in no way diminishes a design in any technical sense), sometimes (depending on the person), they will feel more value, and more appreciation for a car that is "pampered", in the sense where it is kept "like new". Not saying that somebody should keep an appliance like a car in a garage all the time, but if you're OCD like me, and enjoy your "nice car" (a form of Art on its own) to be always nice and cared for, then having another car to use for the rough-stuff, in order to keep the nice car "nice", can enhance the ownership experience. As always, a good balance is ideal to me personally.

To the O/P, I'd get a W126.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Merc Convert

Mein Auto: '08 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I know enough to conclude that you are wrong in saying that it will cost 15k to get a good used Tacoma.
Ok.

2008 550i M Sport Carbon Black on Black 6AT SAT

When in doubt, find row zed.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Try 6-7k and you'll see cars in much better condition.
I would stay away from 10 year old 4WD SUV's that people have mentioned before. The odds of you driving the car without having to dump considerable money into it is highly unlikely.
I agree. SUV's of that age almost always need something done, especially with the suspensions as I found out with my beater.