Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i 5SPD MSport
Painting side view mirrors

Hey everyone. So my side view mirrors paint is coming off on both mirrors. The car is silver and I actually just got the windows tinted 25%. I was thinking of taking the mirrors off. Sanding them and painting them black maybe metallic black not sure to match the tint. I was thinking of using spray paint for them. I have friends that have done it before and it came out fairly good. Just wondering if anyone has done this? What spray paint they used? Or if you think its a stupid idea feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00' Imola Red 528i MSport
I would sand smooth and use a polyurathane based paint, like wheel paint. I did the roof seems on my 528i about a year ago, still looks great
Old 05-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Thanks but what would I use to apply the paint on the mirrors? A small paint brush? Seems like that would cause the paint to drip. I have seen friends just sand, primer and spray paint with good results.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Also not talking about the whole car or anything. Its just the side view mirrors that I want black instead of the original silver to give it a two tone look with the tint
Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
it is your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves530i View Post
Thanks but what would I use to apply the paint on the mirrors? A small paint brush? Seems like that would cause the paint to drip. I have seen friends just sand, primer and spray paint with good results.
As a painter buddy of mine used to say a long time ago...the way is the way for a reason. That said, choose your color, make sure your primer doesn't interact with your current paint, and is consistent in base with the color you've chosen, the last thing you need is to spray the color on then come back in an hour only to find it peeling off due to chemical reaction.

Use wax and grease remover on it, then some light dish detergent to wash it down, then wax and grease remover to get it 'real clean'

Sand out the chips, smooth the whole mirror, protecting the mirrored surface, 6 or so light coats of high build primer 2k, sand smooth with 320 - 400 or so ...primer a couple more times light coats, sand smooth with 400 or hand sand with 600 get it nice and smooth, wipe it clean, blow it clean, use a tack cloth on it, then apply light coats of color the last thing you want is your mirrors to stand out you want them to blend in or it'll end up looking retarded. Once you spray the 3rd or 4th coat of color, wait the 15 or 20 mins and apply progressively heavier coats of clear, light at first, then medium, then a nice wet coat. Avoid runs!!!

Time spent in the prep stage is 4x more important than time spent spraying. If you're going to can paint choose your materials wisely and do a 'test' spray to make sure it is all going to work together before you go about your business...
Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 00' Imola Red 528i MSport
It in a spray can
Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 PM

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFuzz 26 View Post
It in a spray can
If you go to a good auto paint facility you will find it all in a spray can. If you go to walmart who knows...you will get what you pay for...
Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the help fellas appreciate it. This is what I was looking for.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 04/1997 528i Auto,
Also... Remove them and for painting that way you're not fretting about overspray and the such when ever I paint small items like this I like to use a lazy susan and fashion some sort of stand that will allow me to hit all edges and curves. Back in the day I used to do a lot of model hobby kits. I found these methods worked well with painting the body shells. Which is almost the general shape of what your mirrors.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 PM

Thanks. Yeah I am definitely taking them off. Going to make a day of it and take my time to get it right the first time.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 04/1997 528i Auto,
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah I am definitely taking them off. Going to make a day of it and take my time to get it right the first time.
Also if you have access to metal clothes hangers you can use them to make a holding devise.. Sorry I blanked on any kind of name for it I used to call mine a spider. It was a frame with four arms that pointed inward. You can tape the arms to the inside of the mirror so you've got like 3D suspension of the piece. I'll try to dig up some of my old pictures.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:38 AM
BMW Student

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Quote:
Sanding them and painting them black maybe metallic black not sure to match the tint. I was thinking of using spray paint for them.
A nice black that I have used that might match the tint is trim paint - Dupli-Color # TP70:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/shw-tp70

This Dupli-Color Trim Paint is designed to restore an OEM flat-black finish to metal trim and moldings around windows, on body sides and other vehicle areas. It features excellent adhesion qualities and a durable black coating. Give your vehicle's trim and molding pieces new life, with Dupli-Color Trim Paint

'97 528i, 99k DD
'91 CRX Si, 114k
'83 Supra, 109k
Old 05-24-2014, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: Touring and others
Painting side view mirrors

You can order paint to match your body color in an aerosol can from BavAuto. It ain't cheap, but it will be the correct color. Finish off with several costs of clear. When it's cured, compound and wax.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-24-2014, 10:25 AM

for the record

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbuilder View Post
You can order paint to match your body color in an aerosol can from BavAuto. It ain't cheap, but it will be the correct color. Finish off with several costs of clear. When it's cured, compound and wax.

You can take your car to any good auto paint facility and they will mix the paint for your color code and put it in a can for you. Not Cheap...but perfect match...GL
Old 05-24-2014, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 7/98 NonVanos 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbuilder View Post

Don't do this. The quality of the paint and even the can stinks. You will regret it.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:49 PM

Thanks Rexgo. That dupli color looks like its exactly what I am looking for. A flat black type of look. Will probably end up grabbing that.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: Touring and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
Don't do this. The quality of the paint and even the can stinks. You will regret it.

Source? Experience? Or are you an ECS fan?