Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Replacement key

Well after five years, I lost a key. Fell off my keychain. I heard it drop, but never could find it.

So I tried to get a replacement key. Here's what I found out, and hopefully it's helpful.

Called my dealer for replacement: $220
Called another dealer for replacement: $202

At one of those places, a parts guy suggested calling BMW directly. So I did. Here's the #: 888-575-5397. It's a 20 minute phone call designed to make sure you're the registered owner. You need to provide the VIN. They'll ship a key to a dealer of your choice. You can pick up the key at the dealer by providing your driver's license and car registration. Here's the catch: this phone service is available only to California residents. Apparently California passed a law permitting purchase of keys by phone and is the only state to do that.

So I placed my order for a replacement key $150. Way lower than the dealers. 15 minutes later I got a call back: my order didn't go through! Need to do it all over again!

So I waited until the next day to call again. Got somebody else who told me that the $150 3 button key for my 2007 X3 is no longer produced and no longer available. Only a key without a remote is available now! She said the guy from the day before made a mistake. Spent another 20 minutes on the phone verifying my identity and ordered the replacement key (without remote) which costs $50. Saved money, but no remote is inconvenient. She also said sometimes they have old keys with remote available, and if they do, it's like winning the lottery, they'll send it for the same $50.

Ordered the key at noon on Wednesday, it was at the local dealer the next morning at 10. Fast! And no additional charge for shipping. I eagerly opened the envelope, but unfortunately my lottery ticket wasn't a winner. I now have my old 3 button remote key and a new key that has to be placed in the door keyhole.

If anyone has had luck recently in getting one of the original 3 key remotes from BMW, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks for reading!
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M3
So, three different people told you that you could buy a regular diamond key, and one didn't.

Call the dealer and order the key. This key was used on the E39, E46, E83, E53.....I can't possibly imagined that it is NLA. I just purchased one last year for my M5, when I was it's steward.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
So, three different people told you that you could buy a regular diamond key, and one didn't.

Call the dealer and order the key. This key was used on the E39, E46, E83, E53.....I can't possibly imagined that it is NLA. I just purchased one last year for my M5, when I was it's steward.
Worth another try I guess.

BTW no dealer would allow me to "call the dealer and order the key". They all wanted me to come in to show my registration, and come in a second time to pick up the key.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:47 PM

When I bought my key, I was allowed to email a copy of my registration to the guy. I'd bought parts from him before, and he knew me, and knew that I lived 2+ hours from the closest dealer.

If you don't have a relationship with anyone at the dealer, it's not surprising that they want you to come in. It could be worse. I've heard that the keys on the e90 and later cars are $500+!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
You can buy them on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-BRAND-NE...10e09e&vxp=mtr
Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
Have you bought one this way? I recall reading the getting the transponder programmed wasn't the easiest thing to have done. The remote part is easy.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I got my diamond style key up here in Canada for around $220 CAD tax included. The normal key you have to put in the keyhole was like $95 haha I might go order one for when I warm up and can't lock the doors.

How do you program the transponder keys off eBay? Not too many places in my area will cut them either.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 AM
roys4x4

Mein Auto: 06 X3,95LR Disco,90 F250
replacement remote

got one for my wife last month from the reno bmw. 149 out the door and two trips
roy
Old 11-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
Have you bought one this way? I recall reading the getting the transponder programmed wasn't the easiest thing to have done. The remote part is easy.
Not the easiest = impossible. The codes in the tansponder are rolling and hidden, it is specifically designed to not be cloned. The best you can possibly do is clone an old transponder if you can successfuly query the hidden data then the old transponder becomes out of sync the first time you use the new transponder and no longer works.

Bottom line, pony up at the dealer and be sure to make sure the seller gives you all the keys or reduces the price next time.

Last edited by joylove; 11-16-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post

Bottom line, pony up at the dealer and be sure to make sure the seller gives you all the keys or reduces the price next time.
My E39 key cost me $234.

Also, when you have multiple working keys, be sure to rotate them though. Don't stick the spare in a drawer for a couple of years. It probably will be dead when you return to it.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 325i, 328ci, X3
I got my brand new key for my 2004 X3 (E83) for $150 + tax programmed from a dealership. We have 2 here in the state of Minnesota. The first dealership wanted $200 + tax, and the 2nd one gave me a small discount since I complained about the other dealership... I guess, they want my business from the point on as he stated.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
I need to do this for BOTH my X3 and M5...
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 11-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
I got a new key for my '08 earlier this year from the dealer because I wanted a spare. $145. Now I have 3.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2005
Xtra Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post

LegalFee, How do you program the key? Do you have to have a Stealership do it?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXIT39 View Post
LegalFee, How do you program the key? Do you have to have a Stealership do it?

It's. Not. Possible.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: guess
I live on the other side of the pond, so i dont know if this is usefull.

I did recieve 2 keys @ my local dealer January 12. with 3 button remote.
Think those where sent from Germany, since it took abut 14 days from order to delivery.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:01 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Bought a new diamond remote key at the Dealer in Grand Rapids michigan, Sharpe BMW for $160 and they even paired it to the car for the remote. any dealer charging more than that is a outright thief.

And the Diamond key is absolutely still available same as the little plastic wallet key.

I got a wallet key so I could pop out the transponder to make a flip key work perfectly.

Keys are not sent from Germany if you are inside the USA, they come from New Jersey and it arrived the very next day. If your order for a key is placed before noon and the parts guy is not lazy, you will get it in 1 to 2 business days. Dealer only asked me to fax a copy of my registration and drivers license did it all over the phone.

It IS possible to program a non BMW key. but it will cost more than 3X the price of a key to get the tools to do so, and not many people here are comfortable with taking apart the module and clipping a programmer directly to the chip on the board. I ran down that road and found what was needed, but it is so much hassle it is not worth it, maybe if I owned 10 BMW's. I also have a working Flip key for my X3, after all my messing about it ended up costing as much as a new dealer diamond key.

Last edited by timgray; 01-14-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
Bought a new diamond remote key at the Dealer in Grand Rapids michigan, Sharpe BMW for $160 and they even paired it to the car for the remote.
Same for me in GA, though it cost $185 inc tax, but I ordered it over the phone and just showed my registration when i picked it up. And they programmed it for me.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
It IS possible to program a non BMW key. but it will cost more than 3X the price of a key to get the tools to do so, and not many people here are comfortable with taking apart the module and clipping a programmer directly to the chip on the board. I ran down that road and found what was needed, but it is so much hassle it is not worth it, maybe if I owned 10 BMW's. I also have a working Flip key for my X3, after all my messing about it ended up costing as much as a new dealer diamond key.
I bought the programmer. It's not possible to clone a chip, because the 128 bit code is partially obscured at all times, furthermore that code rolls so if you were able to clone it, the original key would fall out of sync and become useless the first time you start the car. It's possible to view the 10 codes hardcoded into the EWS before it leaves Germany using INPA but I am not remembering if the full 128 bit code there is visible or just partial, or if it's the result of the equation that the code is used to modify as part of the security algorithm.

It's a deeply secure system and the only known compromise to it since it came to BMWs in 1994ish is the EU tinkering with the law that allows the MOST bus cars to have a key coded to the car by a third part dealer without the presence of a valid key, which is apparently a hole that has now been plugged via SW updates.

Last edited by joylove; 01-14-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Freshly Addicted

The device I saw read the code of your new chip with it's own reading coil and overwrites one of the hardcoded codes. It is hairy as all get out from everything I saw online on how it works, the two forums that talked about how it is done said you need to download the whole chip program and store it in case the change corrupts the chip so you can re-load it.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:44 PM

Assuming someone more advanced than me is able to clone the chip (having read up on the bit-masked encryption and that the full 128 bit code is never actually transmitted was when I stopped), it renders the old one useless as soon as you start the car, due to the rolling code. So you spend all your time mucking around and you start with 1 useable chip, and you end with 1 useable chip.

It's kinda the point of the entire system in fact, and it's performing as designed.

Last edited by joylove; 01-14-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
roys4x4

Mein Auto: 06 X3,95LR Disco,90 F250
Smile my Reno NV. BMW Dealership key replacement details

to achieve two remote keys (and a valet key), programed to my 06 X3 it cost me $149 out the door as I said earlier for the 1 new programmable 3 button key in the posting. a third trip later in the month we drove into the repair shop's service writers area and one of the writers came out to provide any help we needed, he took my original key & my wife's new key, stuck my old one in the ignition, he stood outside the car with the new one and programed both of the to the new coding at the same time.... no charge sir & thank you and I programed them both later at home to the seat and mirrors.
you might notice that most used car sales don't give out all the keys. the loan agency has need of one complete key it for repo. not all agencies do this but most do. it kinda depends on the buyer/loaner's relationship.

has anyone found a locksmith that can cut the 3 button BMW key keyways, that are originally purchased from taiwan ebay ? as I understand only the BMW authorized can, I wonder who outside of BMW can? that would be valuable information. I believe the individual dealership's rules and the individual's state laws has the control over our problems in this arena

Last edited by Roys4x4; Yesterday at 11:41 PM. Reason: keyways
Old Today, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0 E83 M54
Medford Oregon dealer ($175.00)

Tomorrow I'm bringing in the rig to receive a new key. One of the two we have probably had the battery expire. It's a 2006 built 11/2005 (11+ years old). The dealer wanted $175.00, and a peek at the registration. Wifie ordered it in person. Since it now arrived, they say they can program it in for no added charge when we pick it up. I wonder if I cut open the dead diamond key and replace the battery if it will still work (so we can have a working spare, third key)?

I'll let you know how it goes.

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton