Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-02-2015, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0 E83 M54
Anybody running Continental All-Seasons?

Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season) in particular. Are they any good? Funky tread pattern...gimmick? I'll probably use them for mostly dry pavement and light rain driving.

Background: I'm getting ready to spring for tires....again. Our used 2006 X3 3.0i was wearing a set of nearly expired Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires (which rode like a sporty stagecoach). The date code said they were about 7 years old. Per Monte Python "I'm not quite dead yet", came to mind. For the winter (which may never happen) here in the PNW, I got some bargain rims and (alternate sized) 215/60R17 Bridgestone Blizzaks. Their ride is softer, they corner fine, no opportunity to trial them in ice or snow due to the mild winter here this year. I wish to save them for subsequent winters, so some all seasons are on the menu.

I should probably call Tire Rack to see of these Conti's have the secret BMW star on them, huh?

PS. That Tirerack.com outfit is impressive. I was able to do great research on their site. Call them up. Make an order for tires/wheels, mounted & balanced. They showed up 24 hours later with new lug bolts (and I live way off the beaten trail). Go figure?

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2015, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
I'm running the Extreme Contact DWS on a 2007 X3 with the 19" sport wheel option. I have about 3,000 miles on them. They are hands down the best all-season tires I have owned on any car. They are particularly exceptional in the rain and do very well on the snow.

I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and we get a fair amount of rain year round and mild snow in the winter. Its about 1.5 years I have had them so I have seen about every driving condition we get here in Virginia. They work so well I just don't even think about them under any condition and I would recommend them without reservation.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I'm using the ExtremeContac DWS on my X3 and probably have about 40,000 miles on them. I like the tire very much, and also have them on a Porsche Boxster and a Saab 9-3.

I got them on the Boxster first as I wanted to swap out of summer tires (which only last about 10-15k on the rears) and get something better for year round driving and longer lasting. The reviews at Tire Rack specifically from people running the DWS on Porsches were very favorable.

So then I got them on the X3 and was very happy with them there too. A much quieter and smoother ride than whatever came off when I switched. At around 20,000 I got a blowout (I ran over a spark plug of all things), and at that point the tires were worn enough that I couldn't replace one but had to replace all four. So I'm on my second set.

So then I put them on my Saab. Again, very happy. But I had a blowout on that set too, cause unknown. There I was able to swap just one.

So even though I really like the tires, there is a nagging voice in my head that wonders about the blowouts. In 30 years of driving, I'd never had a blowout. Now in the last 3 years I've had 2, and both times were on DWS's. It's probably a bad coincidence, but I'll never know for sure.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for the excellent, detailed testimonials. Southern Oregon weather sounds a great deal like Virginia (plenty of rain and a little snow).

At $147.00 for the Conti's, the price is attractive. It looks like they also have a higher speed rating (W=168 MPH), than the popular rubber below. Not that I'll hit 168 in an X3 (unless airborn over a cliff, where tires really wont matter)

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 - $241.00
Bridgestone Turanza EL42 - $202.00
Pirelli Scorpion STR - $199.00

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton
Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: E60 N52
I have them on my 5 series, and going from runflats to the DWS was like night and day. Very happy with them on 5 series and plan to change my Pirellis on the x3 when they're do which is probably next year.

As far as the blowouts Mark986 mentions, I wonder if it's because the sidewalls are very soft ?? It's why they're so comfortable on my 5 series.

The only issue I've had is that the rear tires wore out a lot sooner than the front (on staggered wheels). No joke, the fronts still look almost new and the rears specially on the inside were worn out.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
CyberWes,

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the tires you have listed. Some may prefer different things under different conditions, but for the most part, I will continue with the Conti DWS for any tire I buy. They're a great compromise, for lack of a better word, between all-season and performance.

A neat added bonus is how each tire has a DWS tread wear indicator. As the tire wears, it will then show DW letting you know the snow portion has worn out and that they are still fit for dry and wet weather use. The W will wear next leaving them only for dry use. You get the picture.

I purchased mine at a local independent shop and the owner highly recommended them over more expensive Michelin tires. The owner told me that Michelin had brought a bunch of tire shop owners to a testing ground in South Carolina to show how great their tires were vs the competitors, but that all the shop owners secretly like the Conti DWS the best.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 & 2009 Carrera
They are generally great tires, but they have super soft sidewalls.
I had to replace not one but two tires (inpendently), for simply hitting a curb too hard while parking. In both cases the sidewalls looked like they were cut with a knife. Yes totally my fault, but it happens, and it never happened to me with another car or another tire.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 PM

Soft, Thin sidewalls...Oh My!

Yikes. This X3 is primarily my wife's car. She drives pretty fast. Curbs? well, not sure how much she eats those . I'd have to go way back to..... last night in a parking lot at the movie theater .

Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 3.0
I stayed away from the DWS because of the wear pattern. I hear the winter goes first then the rain and then the dry. Any truth to this?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yidsimple View Post
I stayed away from the DWS because of the wear pattern. I hear the winter goes first then the rain and then the dry. Any truth to this?
Yes, as chrisbean08 has already said above, that's the design feature.

But that's true in principle for any A/S tire, and even most winter tires where the softer compound at the top wears relatively quickly. They eventually become good summer tires.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:08 AM

chrisbean08's comments above concur with published description of the tires. The first to go is the SNOW, then Wet, finally Dry.

"The ExtremeContact DWS features Tuned Performance Indicators - visible letters molded into the second rib from the outboard shoulder to alert drivers of the tire's performance levels. A visible "DWS" indicates the tire has sufficient tread depth for dry conditions, as well as wet roads and light snow. After the "S" has worn away, the remaining "DW" indicates the tire only has sufficient tread depth for dry and most wet road conditions. And after the "W" and "S" have both worn away, the remaining "D" indicates the tire has appropriate tread depth for dry conditions only."

I'll get to see the nifty letters today, when they are delivered!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Nokian WR all-weather tires have something similar - 2 sets of wear bars. When the tread wears down level with the first wear bars the snow attributes have gone.

So if that happens just as winter is starting, it's unfortunate, and consideration can be given to getting new tires

The second set is the usual legal min. tread depth mark, but at some undetermined point above that the rain performance would have fallen off considerably.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
For what it's worth I'm very satisfied with the Conti RFTs that are original equipment on my '13 535xDrive. If I still have the car when they are ready to replace I'm going that route.

They are ContiProContact SSR - Grand Touring All-season; here are my ratings on a scale of 1-10: Impact resistance - 9; Comfort - 10; handling (dry) - 9; Handling (wet) - 8; Snow (when less than 1/2 worn) - 7; Noise - 10; tread life - 8 (expect to get 30K on moderately aggressive driving)!

These might (unless you absolutely don't want RFTs) might be an alternative for your X3 if they are available in your size. They have absolutely changed my opinion about RFTs! Don't forget to check out the link in my signature for Tirerack discounts/rebates!

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Shop thru MrRebates for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!
Mr. Rebates
Old 02-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I am a huge fan of tirerack.com Wheels+tires shipped to my door ready to go for hundreds less than the local tire places and I dont have to wait for 2 hours in their waiting room.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:09 PM

Sadly not available for X3 (non Sport)

"....They are ContiProContact SSR - ................ might be an alternative for your X3 if they are available in your size."

These sound great. Cool tread pattern. RFTs that don't feel like RFTs.... very promising. I like the idea of run flat, but never owned them.
Turns out these ContiProContact SSRs are not available in the standard and alternate tire sizes listed (in the manual) for my 2006 X3, which are 235/55R17 and 215/60R17.

Last edited by CyberWes; 02-04-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: formatting and word choice changes
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
I'm running Conti DWS on my '06 X3 for about 15-20k miles. No issues here, just rotated all 4. Seem to perform very well in dry/wet. Snow they are above average in my opinion, definitely not winter performance tire. After this set is done, i'll probably switch to Michelin A/S 3's.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 02-05-2015, 12:59 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I have 'em on a 98 Maxima. They are awesome.

They bitch going around corners, but they don't let go.

+1 on the soft sidewalls. They always look low.

I like my pirellis on my x3 too much to ever with to the Conti's.

I've got a ton a miles on them too.. Best bang for the buck out there.

Last edited by SonicBoom; 02-05-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328ix sedan/2010 X3
I recently bought (From Discount Tire) a Continental ControlContact Sport A/S to replace the BMW Scorpions on my '10 X3. I think these are exclusive to Discount Tire. Excellent ride, quiet and have a 50k tread warranty.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: E60 N52
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbake1 View Post
I recently bought (From Discount Tire) a Continental ControlContact Sport A/S to replace the BMW Scorpions on my '10 X3. I think these are exclusive to Discount Tire. Excellent ride, quiet and have a 50k tread warranty.
Just called Discount tire and apparently the DWS is discontinued and replaced by the Contact Sport A/S. How do you like these so far?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328ix sedan/2010 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclesd View Post
Just called Discount tire and apparently the DWS is discontinued and replaced by the Contact Sport A/S. How do you like these so far?
Excellent so far. Other than about a month after purchase, I got a screw embedded in the sidewall on the RR somehow, but they replaced the tire at N/C. Good snow traction here in CO and pretty quiet ride. Tread wear has been minimal so far. Very happy.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: X3
i got them, comfy quiet, grip well. Sidewalls are soft though
Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
I have these tires on my 08 X3 and they are by far the best all weather tires. I also had them on my 335i and my 325i before selling the cars. Traveling back and forth from AZ to CO in every season made the trips so much more secure. They have a nice ride, wear evenly and I never got stuck in any kind of weather. The 335i had run-flats and when I switched the difference was amazing. Highly recoomend