Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
turn signal malfunction

2007 X3 with 100200 miles now. For about the last year intermittently and now much more often my turn signals will not function correctly. They do not randomly come on with the bright lights as others have posted. When engaged they blink at a random wild inconsistent rate and when they should turn off they very often do not, until I flip the turn signal stalk to the other side and the other side engages then I turn it off and they are off. Also what has recently started happening also intermittently is that the passenger side air bag light has been coming on and off and it is coming on when a full sized person is sitting in the seat and buckled in. This winter season the turn signal problem and the passenger side air bag light started occurring independently of each other at the same time. Are both of these connected to some shorting out issue? I haven't had a chance yet to disconnect the headlight level adjuster int he passenger side wheel well just to see if that cures the issues or read the codes yet. I just want to see if anyone has any ideas since I haven't been able to find this one posted about yet. As for the headlights yes I do have the bi-xenon's and yes they do adjust up and down and side to side when turned on.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Can you pull over when it happens to see if a turn bulb is not flashing, perhaps due to a poor connection?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 AM

Electrical Gremlins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Can you pull over when it happens to see if a turn bulb is not flashing, perhaps due to a poor connection?
Thanks I will try that tonight driving home if I have time. I also forgot to mention that my steering wheel radio controls have been acting funny. When hitting the buttons to change stations they intermittently are not working and that's when the passenger air bag light generally flashes. Also, I just noticed today it might be related to the heated steering wheel, I'm going to drive home tonight without using that to see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:56 AM

Tough problem - So far here's what I tried and codes?

Ok so far I tried driving without the heated steering wheel and that didn't help at all, the turn signals didn't turn off, the air bag light was on and off, and the radio controls didn't work at all, all simultaneously. Then as fast as this happened after 5-15 seconds everything went back to normal. I did notice that this happens more often when it's below 20F and more often when colder, also last spring when there was a lot of rain and it was about 90-100% humidity for long periods it would also happen.

I had the headlight level sensor by the passenger front wheel disconnected and it didn't occur for a few days, but then the day I was going to pick the new sensor up from my dealer it occurred again. Since then I've just connected the old one back up, but the outside temp is at or over 32F now so on many drives it doesn't happen.

Regarding the seat occupancy sensor recall, I'm pretty sure my vehicle is not listed in the recall notice.

Here are the codes that I've gotten from the C110 reader any idea what these are pointing to or were these codes thrown by the short that's occurring?

Under this section
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3099.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	548289
I got this

Name:	IMG_3100.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	548290

Under this section

Name:	IMG_3101.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	548291
I got this

Name:	IMG_3102.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	548292

This exact problem did occur on another thread unfortunately the user never came back with any outcome, http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=773021.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 PM

Steering Wheel Clock Spring?

I almost forgot I had someone mention this may be causing the short(s) to me. I haven't been able to find any info regarding it in the X3 Bentley. As far as I can tell it appears to be connected to the Steering Angle Sensor. Can anyone give some insight about this on the LCI X3?
Old 01-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
a helpful link

Light control module/ combo stalk or ride height sensor is high probability .....the passenger side seat code should have been done with a recall I think

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...linker-problem

best wishes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
Light control module/ combo stalk or ride height sensor is high probability .....the passenger side seat code should have been done with a recall I think

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...linker-problem

best wishes
Ok thanks. I'm replacing the ride height sensor today. After I do that is there any reset I should do for the LCM? I've been going through the Bentley manual but I'm not seeing much to follow in the way of the ride height sensors and LCM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 AM

should just be install and no reset

BUT ....I would get some DIS57 software loaded by the kids on your laptop for the future ....opens up a whole new world of learning and capability.....you can be in it for less than an hours BMW dealer labor !
Old 01-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
BUT ....I would get some DIS57 software loaded by the kids on your laptop for the future ....opens up a whole new world of learning and capability.....you can be in it for less than an hours BMW dealer labor !
Just purchased this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-DIS-V44-...QAAOSwv0tVV5Nn
Old 01-30-2016, 03:50 PM

good start

ok ....get it loaded and let the kids run thru the software and practice many activations .....great fun.....almost as good as a model rail road !
Old 01-30-2016, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
How does info from computer get to the car; I'm old school and all this computer stuff is a new realm; my daily truck is pre-computer and is easy as hell to diagnose/repair.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:36 PM

its easy as a cell phone

just pops in to the OBD2 port with a multi pin connector and then USB to your laptop.....after coming up on the old pre computer stuff you will have all the logic that is now on chips deeply embedded in you own personal computer brain !.....you already operate this unmatched electro chemical brain that sends signals to over one trillion body cells of every type.....this is forgotten by many......it will get you 70% of where you need to be with the computer side ....the rest is just finding out which keys to press and screens to manipulate....so ....remember ....you are most of the way there.....and .....anyone who can rebuild say a four barrel can do the computer stuff standing on their heads

give the car computer programs to any youngster with an I pad or oldster with a cell phone and they'll soon find out the usual strange stuff in software can be learned by anyone with some gotta wanna

the software interrogates the various DME/other car computers for seats/lights etc and sends info back to your program on your laptop you can visualize....it also has some very good diagnostic help and job repair steps/parts and electrical drawings embedded

one of the best virtues is like a toy remote control ....you can send requests to temporarily activate components or systems for troubleshooting stuff like fuel pumps/lights/cluster/transfer case actuator/view real time wheel speed sensor outputs and the kids can watch each wheel speed change when you corner/brake etc...you can even run the mini fan in the HVAC IHKA and the DME computer plastic
box cooling fan !

most folks on these forums never get to take the next step in using this software ....a big miss from every point of view....it would educate them more deeply and save them a bundle....give it to the kids ....they will pull y'all along with them and y'all will be smilin together

Last edited by swampX3; 01-30-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: add info

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search