Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2.0d 2008
Brake

Hello

A new light on control panel has shined: brake pads, in yellow.

I am still doing some research, and the local BMW dealer charges USD 1,300 for the OEM set of front/rear pads, rotors and sensors. This is the price for the parts, excluding installation.

As far as I could research, there are better and affordable options than the OEM set and DIY the job is not so complex, which could save me $$$$. The mileage is around 93k and all revisions have been made at BMW by the former owner. My questions:

1 - is it necessary/recommendable to change the whole set (front/rear pads, rotors and sensors), or just the pads?
T
2 - How can I check if the problem is with the front or rear pads?

3 - It seems to me that the parts found online for 3.0 gasoline models fit my model (2.0 diesel). Is that correct?

4 - Other than the OEM, which set would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by HarleyJameson; 07-18-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
The job is really pretty simple. There are a ton of diy videos as it is the same as the E46. It is normally necessary to replace the rotors after 2 sets of pads, so it depends on the history of your car. There is a minimum rotor thickness stamped onto the rotor. If you are greater than that, you will be ok.

I used Akebono pads and ATE rotors. The Akebono pads supposedly feel a little softer although I couldn't tell and leave much less brake dust than OEM.

The best way to check is to pull off a wheel and you will easily see which set is worn. Normally you get about 50% more wear on the front pads, so look there first.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I plan on getting my front and rear brakes done soon and will be using Akebono Euro pads and Meyle rotors. My front rotors have major lips on them right now and my steering sometimes vibrates under braking. Rear rotors might be fine but look quite worn as well so I'd like to do it all for peace of mind.

All in all parts cost will be less than $500 total for pads, rotors, sensors, and a 4L jug of BMW brake fluid for a full brake fluid flush. Labour depends on where you live, I'm expecting around $250-$300 for this.

Last edited by jma1992; 07-18-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-19-2014, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 3.0d X3, 2009
I changed my car all around with Akebono Euro Ceramic pads the result is very satisfactory, much less dust, the braking is slightly softer but definitely smoother without hash wear on the rotors. I've been running these pads and rotors for more than 40K kms and the rotors show almost no wear. If they were the OEM pads, in my case, they would all have been replaced by now. so the wear on the pads and rotors are much lower with Akebono pads.

I would suggest you to change all pads, rotors and sensor cables as if the warning light has been triggered, the sensor(s) may also have been scratched and worn.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 AM

Great advice ($$$). Thanks.

So, I guess Akebono ceramic pads are the way to go, but I see there are different models (I checked at Amazon.com), even for the same car model (mine is a 2008 X3 2.0 diesel). What are the correct specifications for front and rear?

Regarding the rotors, which would you recommend? With a visual inspection, I can see the front rotors are much more worn than the rear ones. They look and feel like a vinyl.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 05:26 AM

I used a website in UK to verify the pads, it appears the E83 2.0D and 3.0D have the same pads:
http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org....-uk/d5156.html

If that's the case. Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads Part numbers are AKEUR 946 for the front and 683 for the rear.

In Europe, if you can't get the Akebono, I know the Bendix ceramic is also quite good.

For rotors, I know the OEM are good, so are the TRW and ATE. But I'm not impressed with the RDA.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 AM

Great, I will check those options.

Now, something strange. I did a more detailed check on the rotors, and I noticed the one on the passenger's side, front, is much more deteriorated. Please see below:

Front, passenger side:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1405861467

Front, driver side:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1405861467

The rear ones are less deteriorated than the front, but left and right are on the same level.

Also, I checked the service book, and the previous owner changed front and rear brakes at 75k Km, but it does not specify if the rotors were changed as well. So, it is acceptable that at 150k Km it is time to do the service again.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140720_142831.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	452805   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140720_142854.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	452806  
Old 07-20-2014, 06:35 AM

It looks like the front passenger side pads have completely worn out so the pad backing metal has in contact with the rotor, so the noise will come out from this side when braking.

According to my own experience, if you use BMW pads which are metallic, by the time you change the pads, the rotors will have been already too thin to be re-machined. 75k Km for the OEM pads change is not too bad. If you do a lot of start stop city driving, you can only get 40 to 50k km out of a set of metallic pads and rotors.

Last edited by enjoydriving; 07-20-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:54 AM

Yes, I forgot to mention there is a noise coming from the wheel when braking. There is still about 1cm or less of material on the pad.

So, I have to order the pads and rotors, that's for sure, but it will take some time till they get to me. Eventually, I need to use the car. Is it safe to drive around for a few more miles before changing the pads and rotors?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 AM

I would be very careful if the pads are uneven although the ABS would take care some of the under performance.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:20 PM

Great. Thanks.

I am planning to change the whole set, although it seems that the immediate need is on the front set. Question: do I need to change the brake fluid as well? If so, which specification should I use?

I know it is necessary to use some synthetic grease on some parts, but auto parts stores are not on every corner of Switzerland. I found a grease from the Swiss brand Nigrin which contains MoS2. I have been told that it is a synthetic grease that would serve for this purpose. Is that correct?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
BMW recommends replacing the brake fluid every two years, regardless of how many kilometers per year you drive. So, if more than two years has elapsed, or if you are unsure, I would recommend changing the fluid too.

I am a strong believer in replacing all pads and rotors at the same time. This gives you all new friction surfaces. Brakes are not a good place to "cheap-out". Someday, your life may depend on them.

If one side of the front pads has worn significantly more than the other side, check for a sticking (binding) brake caliper.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyJameson View Post
Great. Thanks.

I know it is necessary to use some synthetic grease on some parts, but auto parts stores are not on every corner of Switzerland. I found a grease from the Swiss brand Nigrin which contains MoS2. I have been told that it is a synthetic grease that would serve for this purpose. Is that correct?
The Akebono pads supplied with the special grease. Bendix sells them in small patch as well. The grease must be very high temperature type and not easy to be washed away.