Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2011 128i conv
Fix or flee?

Hi There Friends,

My story may sound familiar. I bought a 2007 BMW X3 CPO with 30k and ran it all the way up to 130K as of today. It has been in 3 accidents (twice hit while vehicle was unattended).

That said, the VIN is a little unclean, to say the least. I've had all the maintainence done but I am displaying the "terrible triad" (ABS, 4x4, brake).

Knowing that repair for that will run $2-3k, I am reluctant to dump money into such a well worn (but highly cherished and beloved vehicle). For the road trip this summer, I need peace of mind. I could dump $$ into the old car (tires, intermediate service, etc) OR we buy a new CPO.

What do I do? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Also, car was bought in New England, we now live in FLA!

-Das Banana Boot Kapitän

P.S. it sometimes makes that rotational "clicking" noise from the rear half of the car some days.

Last edited by Das Banana Boot; 04-22-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
repair cost ????

surely you mean the DIY terrible triad cost is just the gear cost ....~ 50- 100 bucks ?????.....the clicking sound is the biggest clue to an easy DIY
Old 04-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Do you have a reliable independent reasonably priced BMW mechanic or will all the fixes be done at the dealership?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0 E83 M54
Fix it ceap, then off it.

Personally, if I was not handy, I'd print out some of the DIYs about rotating the transfer actuator gear and have an indy rotate the the gear to get at some fresh plastic. While it's up on the lift, pop for the $50.00 for new T-case fluid (so it makes it to the dealer for the trade in without eating the the fresh section of gear teeth and have a recurrence of the terrible triad). Not to mention you'd be trading it in "whole", in "good faith" so to speak. Not sure I'd remain committed to the capability (and complexity) of an X-Drive vehicle if I lived in Florida.

I'd expect an honest mechanic would/should charge as much as 2 or 3 hours of his standard shop rate for the efforts above. No parts needed....just the fluid. Get it at a BMW dealer and bring it to the mechanic.

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton
Old 04-23-2015, 11:10 AM

Thanks!

Wes,

Thanks for the reply. I tried a few indies and several don't "do" transfer case work and others say they do BUT they don't disassemble/reassemble, they just install new.

I talked to a pal who knows an old guy……keep you posted.
Also, please explain your misgivings about xDrive in in Florida.
Curious to hear your thoughts!

thanks,

Banana
Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0 E83 M54
Wrenching adventure and the Sunshine State

I'm not a great mechanic, but was able to change the gear out myself. The specter of a $1500.00 dealer repair was impetus to give a go (plus the existence of many DIY videos on the web). It's not a "serviceable" part, so prying it apart can prove reminiscent of shucking a stubborn clam (puncture wounds in the opposite hand are eminent...stage Band-Aids). I will admit that I had to buy some wacky Torx sockets for the job that BMW seems so fond of.

As far as an X-Drive in Florida, well... I just figured all that high tech traction was aimed at snow and ice. In my case, add dirt, mud and gravel to the mix (being out in the wilds of Southern Oregon). I guess heavy rain might be a reason for all that dynamic traction, but I've not traversed a downpour, North or South, where I couldn't keep a 2WD rig on the road (with moderate restraint of a happy lead foot).

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton
Old 04-23-2015, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
When you can replace the gear for $60 and have to remove the actuator anyway, don't waste your time rotating the gear.

And replace the fluid. Adaptation for the fluid life code that is stored will probably have to be cleared by the dealer, or a shop with a higher-end scanner.
Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM

I found an indie who is willing to play ball.
Going to pick up fluid and have them get me road ready for my 4k road trip.

Costco Michelin Tire sale coming up soon!!

Happy motoring, will update results!

Banana