Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I love my 2005 X3 but....

It's at 225,000 kms. In the last 4 years it's needed a new transaxle and a couple of other minor electrical parts. I don't consider this terribly out of line and I have a good local mechanic who treats me well.

The trade-in value of this vehicle is minimal so the options are to keep it to see how long before something major goes or replace it with a lower mileage 2010. I don't like the post 2010 design changes and other vehicles I've test driven leave my underwhelmed although I could probably live with a Subaru Forester or Acura RDX. Suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
run on

these oldies 4 wheel great drivin bmw sleds should be kept alive ! ...no elec steer ....nice steer feel with hydraulics....firm ride....no modern mush.....too much fun to let die ......sounds like you have the same feelings as many of us ....the newer offerings don't cut it....we get loads of options but still like the smaller x best.....best keep er alive with some regular loonies invested till you fall in luv for real with a better vehicle
Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
+1 and it must have been a drive axle it needed. A transaxle such as for a Mini or something would really have cost.

Foresters are good providing Subaru has for sure put their head gasket problems to bed long ago. RDX I don't think creates any passion at all for most people.

If the driving enjoyment of the X3 continues to outweigh the worry over looming repairs, keep it.

If the worries get stronger, or start materializing, or transportation needs change, then it's time to fold.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
My 2 cents.....if you care about driving and engineering details, don't go from a German car to a Japanese car, because you'll nitpick about every shortcoming.

Ultimately it depends on what you value, and how much you are willing to spend to keep it in good shape. No one has a crystal ball as to the next major repair; my 02/04 build X3 had 286k km when I sold it in great shape but I also had a very expensive year last year just with 1st-time failures of things like CCV, coolant expansion tank, etc...which is expected for a car of this age and acceptable. But I got tired of the fuel bills (I drive a lot on weekends), so that combined with the cost of upkeep pushed me over the edge.

Could I have kept the X3 longer? Sure, and I miss many aspects of it. But I also love it when a petrol fillup is only 40 $US (and that's no-ethanol fuel....it can be below 30$ if I didn't care) versus 55-65 $ every week which is what it was with the thirsty X3.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Sounds like it might be time to move on. The Subie has some interesting innovations that have yet to reach far into BMW land -- mainly the adaptive cruise, cross traffic alert, etc, etc. that are either not available or at very significant extra cost. That said, Foresters are excellent little cars/suv's that have garnered quite a loyal following. The turbo version (CVT included) has impressive performance too.