Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E83, 87 E28, 96 LS 400
Turn signal stalk keeps lights illuminated!

I've been meaning to ask about this. If I inadvertently leave the turn signal stalk engaged for left or right, the lamps stay illuminated when I exit the car. My fear is that I forget and wake up to a dead battery. Is this normal? Can this feature be disabled?
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
It's all explained in the Owner's Manual.

Standard for European cars to have the side/parking lights on that one side remain on (that is, the side the turn signal stalk is positioned at).

Dealer could program it off but it will cost. You could argue that one-sided parking lights are not required by law in N. America and therefore the car should have been delivered to you with that facility coded out.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Do I have to worry about these being on and waking up to a dead battery? That seems real easy to do.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLCPA View Post
Do I have to worry about these being on and waking up to a dead battery? That seems real easy to do.
The standing light (aka parking light) only illuminates a single light in the front and a single light in the rear. A number of years ago, I was told that it should be good for about 8 hours of illumination. I don't think I would want to test this, however.....

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Not if your battery is in a good state of charge.

Did I answer your question correctly - it is just the side lights and on one side only? If so, Europeans in many places have to park overnight like that and they don't get dead batteries.

If you park outside, just visually check your car when you lock it.
Old Today, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Not if your battery is in a good state of charge.

Did I answer your question correctly - it is just the side lights and on one side only? If so, Europeans in many places have to park overnight like that and they don't get dead batteries.

If you park outside, just visually check your car when you lock it.
Yes, you answered. It's just one side and it took me awhile to figure this was normal, although I hadn't read the info in the manual.