Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x3
2007 x3 vibration

I just bought a 2007 X3. Notice a vibration when accelerating uphill between 40 and 60mph. No vibration at other speeds. It feels like a driveshaft or cvc out of round. A vehicle at this price should be able to climb a hill without vibrations I would think. The mechanic that rode with me on a demo thought the vibration was minimal, had me drive another X3, which I thought was worse yet!. He sent an inquiry to the "rep" in New Jersey.. Haven't heard back from them yet. Any one else experince a vibration in their x3??

GT
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Could be a number of things.

Wanna buy mine?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Long shot, but before my coil spring's pig tail fell off I was experiencing vibrations cruising at 100-120 kmph.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by geta356 View Post
I just bought a 2007 X3. Notice a vibration when accelerating uphill between 40 and 60mph. No vibration at other speeds. It feels like a driveshaft or cvc out of round. A vehicle at this price should be able to climb a hill without vibrations I would think. The mechanic that rode with me on a demo thought the vibration was minimal, had me drive another X3, which I thought was worse yet!. He sent an inquiry to the "rep" in New Jersey.. Haven't heard back from them yet. Any one else experince a vibration in their x3??

GT
Does the whole car vibrates or where is it coming from? It could be a bad rim also.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by geta356 View Post
Notice a vibration when accelerating uphill between 40 and 60mph. No vibration at other speeds. The mechanic that rode with me on a demo thought the vibration was minimal, had me drive another X3, which I thought was worse yet!.
The fact that it only occurs when accelerating uphill,
and that it was worse on another X3 you drove,
makes me want to ask the question, "was it the very same stretch of road each time?"

Either way, you are not asking if there is something wrong with your particular car, but whether the X3 generally exhibits that behavior on certain road surfaces.

And if there is a fix for it.

As the answer is probably no on both, maybe best to just do some more experimentation on different uphill sections of road, try adding or removing tire pressure, see if SD makes a difference, etc.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si Sport Pkg
Mine too

Hey GT
My 07 X3 has exactly the same issue. The dealer has had the vehicle for two weeks now attempting to diagnose the problem. It manifests itself on an uphill climb loading the drivetrain between 40-50 mph under slight acceleration when the transmission has downshifted into 5th. They gave me an 08 X3 as a loaner so I took it to the road where this problem is the worst, a glassy smooth section of hwy with a serious grade. No vibration. The last time I took it in for this problem they replaced a bushing they said was worn out. My question is with 24k miles what caused a bushing to wear out? Needless to say that didn't fix the underlying problem. I will keep you updated when they get back to me.
TT
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 PM

Turbo,

This is apparently an X3 inherent problem, anyway for a couple of years. I was advised to try another dealers repair tech's, the ones in Santa Maria, Ca., which were much more cooperative, by the way.
The Service Manager and I tried another X3, a 2008, and guess what, same problem.. Noticable vibration upon hard acceleration from 40-60mph, even on level ground! I am in the process of submitting a letter to BMW usa, the Customer Relations Dept., is assisting. More to come..

GT
Old 04-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Turbo,

I didn't notice that fact that your trial of another X3 did not vibrate. I was wondering if you noticed what brand of tires the 2008 had mounted? I have had tires cause funny problems before. Both cars had Pirelli Scorpions mounted..

GT
Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Vibration

I am not sure which brand of tires are on the loaner. I will find out. The dealer called last night and they are replacing the transfer case after unsuccessfully changing some more bushings. I will let you know the outcome.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
One possible source of vibration on hard acceleration is the vacuum flap on the muffler. If it does not work well, the vehicle will vibrate noticably in the steering column. That could be an easy check and solution.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Mariodr,

Is the flap supposed to be open or closed upon acceleration, and what is its' purpose anyway??

GT
Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
My understanding is that the flap regulates the amount of vacuum at that point, so it should open or close as needed. We had a problem on our vehicle with it, and I've read that others have also had the same problem on this forum. Best consult with your dealer on the issue.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Frustrated

Hi GT
I picked up the X3, drove it home and up the steep grades where the problem was the worst. It seems that the transfer case replacement worked, however, I discovered a new issue. I suspect the new transfer case. This wouldn't have shown up on a test drive for the original issue or on flat surfaces. When driving down hill (steep hills where there is a load on deceleration) as the car passes through the 40 to 30 mph range there is a distinct howl coming from the car. The service adviser said to give it some time for the "gears to wear in".
Some how I don't think every new X3 has to have the gears "wear in". No body would ever buy one in the first place. So back it goes.
The saga continues.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Whine confirmed

Not my whine but a gear whine. The shop foreman did a ride along and agreed there is a gear whine. I suppose another new transfer case is coming.
TT
Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodr View Post
My understanding is that the flap regulates the amount of vacuum at that point, so it should open or close as needed. We had a problem on our vehicle with it, and I've read that others have also had the same problem on this forum. Best consult with your dealer on the issue.
Actually - vacuum operates the flap. When you start the engine, the flap will close.

It will stay closed during "soft" driving & low speeds. When you accelerate, the flap will open allowing a more free flowing exhaust for better pick-up / performance.

As I understand it - it's primary function is for a quieter, less resonating exhaust sound during slow/normal driving.

The flap itself wouldn't cause a "vibration" I don't believe. It will, however, have a "metallic rattle" if the small vacuum hose cracks or becomes unattached. That sound would be evident even when sitting still with the engine running (at least mine was).
Old 04-30-2010, 08:37 AM

Exhaust flap

I found that I like the extra volume in the exhaust with the flap open, on the X3 and the M3 E46 2005. The best use of a golf tee ever. Simply remove the rubber hose connected to the valve and jam the tee in there. Instantly reversible if you don't like it.
TT
Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonoman707 View Post
Actually - vacuum operates the flap. When you start the engine, the flap will close.

It will stay closed during "soft" driving & low speeds. When you accelerate, the flap will open allowing a more free flowing exhaust for better pick-up / performance.

As I understand it - it's primary function is for a quieter, less resonating exhaust sound during slow/normal driving.

The flap itself wouldn't cause a "vibration" I don't believe. It will, however, have a "metallic rattle" if the small vacuum hose cracks or becomes unattached. That sound would be evident even when sitting still with the engine running (at least mine was).
The flap is part of the EPA noise reducing efforts. It closes at partial throttle to lower exhaust noise so it passes regulations. It is also factored in to the ignition curve for good response when opening/closing.

My garage: 2013 BMW 550xi GT, 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 2007 BMW X3, 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Success

Picked up the X3 this morning. All is well in Bimmer land. The gear whine was traced to the rear differential. They goodwilled the remanufactured differential and all I have to say about BMW of Monterey is that they acted totally professionally and get a 5 star rating from me.

TT
Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: x3 and 528
BMW x3 stuttering upon acceleration

i have a 2007 x3 102K miles. I have a stutter on acceleration about 1 and 2nd gear. Once i have decent speed it only happens when i accelerate. I have changed solenoids, plugs, vanos. i took to the dealer and they said that transfer case needs to be replaced. i did some more research and it looks as if the chain or gear could be replaced in transfer case if that is the problem. ii also what a light on the dash that says there is a bulb out somewhere. the dealer also said that it related to transfer case. I did not believe that, I am not sure what my issue is is there any suggestions
Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanChappell View Post
i have a 2007 x3 102K miles. I have a stutter on acceleration about 1 and 2nd gear. Once i have decent speed it only happens when i accelerate. I have changed solenoids, plugs, vanos. i took to the dealer and they said that transfer case needs to be replaced. i did some more research and it looks as if the chain or gear could be replaced in transfer case if that is the problem. ii also what a light on the dash that says there is a bulb out somewhere. the dealer also said that it related to transfer case. I did not believe that, I am not sure what my issue is is there any suggestions
Change your transfer case fluid first. Easy DIY, check the video out on YouTube by Bentley.