Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: e36 ls3
New actuator gear did NOT solve my problem!! Help!

Before someone tells me to go read the hundreds of previous topics on this, just know that I have.

I have a 2007 X3 3.0si. "ABS, 4x4" are illuminated yellow and "brake" is illuminated red. I recently installed new brake pads because of these lights and the brake wear indicator. Upon installing new pads I also installed new brake wear sensors front and back. Tried to reset the light and it won't turn off. Which brings me to my next conundrum.

I did my research and found out about the famous servo motor gear that goes bad on the transfer case. Well I just took this actuator off and now I see that the gear has absolutely no wear on it at all! Looks new. Mind you I just purchased this car so it may have been done previously. Besides just the lights I am getting somewhat of a hesitation under throttle when making turns. The vehicle, however, doesn't make the clicking sound when shut off.

What could this be? Please help. Car is on jacks and I don't know what to do? Should I replace the gear anyways?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2016, 01:01 PM

Forgot to mention another very intermittent symptom. Something when trying to pull out of a parking lot onto a Main Street with the wheels turned one direction, if I jab at the throttle to try to pull out quickly there's no throttle response. It won't accelerate. But there is no check engine light.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochinoe36 View Post
..... installed new brake pads because of these lights and the brake wear indicator. Upon installing new pads I also installed new brake wear sensors front and back. Tried to reset the light and it won't turn off........ actuator off and now I see that the gear has absolutely no wear on it at all! ...... The vehicle, however, doesn't make the clicking sound when shut off.

Should I replace the gear anyways?
No, don't replace the actuator gear. Absolutely no reason to without the clicking noise.
If it was replaced by previous owner (not necessarily the case) then they made same mistake of not getting VTG codes read with a Creator C310 or similar.
There may be a problem with the transfer case itself, some other part of the actuator aside from the plastic gear, or an xDrive sensor/component.

The brake pad wear light should go out after driving a short distance if the new wear indicators are properly pushed into their (cleaned) connectors.

The other red BRAKE light will remain on with the other two lights of course until that separate issue is resolved.

The lack of pedal response when coming out of a parking lot with wheels turned could be a clue as to the xDrive problem, or the familiar 6-speed AT issue.

I would drop the car down and get some codes read.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:19 PM

where could I get these codes read at? All I have is a basic obd2 scanner
Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 PM

Also just looked up this "creator c310"
I was just about to pull the trigger on the launch CRP229. How does this compare. Is the creator C310 only for BMWs?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:43 PM

Yes, BMW and Mini as it is part of the earlier suite of diagnostic s/w that dealers used - scaled down to a self-contained handheld instead of on a laptop connected to a server.

Not familiar with the multi-vehicle CRP229 but the main difference is probably that it covers powertrain and SRS whereas the Creator also does specific BMW chassis and body modules.
Creator does not have touchscreen, but doesn't require a battery like the CRP229.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:11 PM

Okay thanks for you info! I just got the c310 on eBay v5.5. I'll update when I receive to let you guys know what's wrong with this X3.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 3000GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
No, don't replace the actuator gear. Absolutely no reason to without the clicking noise.
Is there a problem with changing that gear for maintenance purposes? I just changed mine, because I was changing all my fluids.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:38 AM

There does not appear to be any evidence that the gear wears out as a normal course of events.

It does seem that wear in one section may be the result of some other problem with the actuator, the transfer case, tire mismatch, or something else related to xDrive.

Certainly, rotating or replacing the gear to cure the 'terrible triad' in combination with the clicking noise on shutting down is effective at least in the short term.

One possible risk with replacing the gear is that although it may look good it may not be manufactured to the exact specs. of the original - so may not last too long, or may cause other problems.
This is an unknown factor which I would say is a good enough reason to not change the gear as part of preventive maintenance.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:28 PM

Update***

Ordered a creator C310 so will wait to see what the 4x4 light is on for.
I recently replaced all four pads and had rotors resurfaced. New pad wear sensors front and back and STILL this damn break pad wear indicator light stays on! I've even turned the key on to accessories and let it sit for a minute to reset the light and it won't go off.
This car is frustrating the hell out of me. I have so many years of experience working on cars and I can't seem to get any light to go off on this BMW Christmas tree! What else could possibly make the wear indicator stay on. I even removed the wheels a second time, took off the sensors cleaned them with wd40 then my air compressor and made sure they were connected nice and tight.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
get DIS 57 or rheingold

get DIS57 or rheingold or some program that will shows the outputs into the dme from each of the wheel speed sensors ......the programs above will show realtime wheel speed changes as you chug along and go in circles etc.....it will show the wear sensors outputs also

you could easily have bad signal/bad cable/bad plug connectors .....that stuff gets hammered in the wheel arch box.....the older stuff just crumbles sometimes
Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I have the same problem since I replaced gear. Lites came back on but no noise from transfer case .Wheels seem to lock at slow speed when turning into driveway etc.
I am trading the car in tomorrow on a new one but am worried what they are going to say if they see the lites Any quick solutions to get the lites to go out.Ive tried disconnecting the battery about 6 times. Car drives great in straight line or at higher speed.

Last edited by ncord; 09-13-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
New actuator gear did NOT solve my problem!! Help!

Quote:
Update***

Ordered a creator C310 so will wait to see what the 4x4 light is on for.
I recently replaced all four pads and had rotors resurfaced. New pad wear sensors front and back and STILL this damn break pad wear indicator light stays on! I've even turned the key on to accessories and let it sit for a minute to reset the light and it won't go off.
This car is frustrating the hell out of me. I have so many years of experience working on cars and I can't seem to get any light to go off on this BMW Christmas tree! What else could possibly make the wear indicator stay on. I even removed the wheels a second time, took off the sensors cleaned them with wd40 then my air compressor and made sure they were connected nice and tight.

WD 40 is not a cleaner. It leaves a film which doesn't go well with sensors and very well could be the source of your problem. Use electrical cleaner, it doesn't leave a film.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncord View Post
I have the same problem since I replaced gear. Lites came back on but no noise from transfer case .Wheels seem to lock at slow speed when turning into driveway etc.
I am trading the car in tomorrow on a new one but am worried what they are going to say if they see the lites Any quick solutions to get the lites to go out.Ive tried disconnecting the battery about 6 times. Car drives great in straight line or at higher speed.
Any ideas out there????
Old 09-15-2016, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
Climb the ladder of increasing expense. Ensure no calipers are sticking, all tires match in size, treadwear and brand, TC and differential fluid changes, new giubos, clean the actuator motor, new actuator motor, new transfer case.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:03 AM

The car is being traded in ,just trying to get the lites out so the dealer doesn`t see them
Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Forgot to mention another very intermittent symptom. Something when trying to pull out of a parking lot onto a Main Street with the wheels turned one direction, if I jab at the throttle to try to pull out quickly there's no throttle response. It won't accelerate. But there is no check engine light.
Quote:
Are you guys encountering this acceleration hesitation only at slow speeds (forward or reverse) and with the steering wheel turned?
Old 09-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Yes,forward and reverse at low speed when turning into driveway or parking.When I go straight at higher speed it is fine.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:30 PM

Any suggestions out there??????
Old 09-19-2016, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3
Quote:
Any suggestions out there??????

======
Check or have checked your wheel speed sensors AND the tone rings on each wheel. Any bad time ring, unplug that sensor until you can fix tone ring. You can get one on eBay from the UK. So you won't have to replace that axle.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search