Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti
Where oh where to get Struts installed

My 2006 X3 seems to be bouncing all over the place. I called the dealer and he gave me an outrageous quote ($3-$4K). I was at Pep Boys today to get my snow tires mounted and they quoted me $465 for labor to do all 4 if I brought my own struts. They suggested I get the alignment at BMW as it requires some equipment they do not have.

Bavarian has the Biilstein's HD for $750.

My question: would you trust Pep Boys to do the install. The guy assured me there was nothing magical about the installation that required me to go to the dealer,

I'm in CT and do not know of any Indy BMW mechanics

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
no, do not let Pep Boys do it.

Where in CT are you? I have peeps there that can maybe make a recommendation.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M3
Find a good independent shop, and use them. You live in an area with enough money and people that there should be one reasonably close. A good can can do damn near everything the dealer can, and better, since they tend to actually try and diagnose problems, as opposed to throwing parts with your money at said problems.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:45 AM

I'm in Newtown CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
no, do not let Pep Boys do it.

Where in CT are you? I have peeps there that can maybe make a recommendation.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 325i, 328ci, X3
Pep Boys and Firestone are bunch of crooks. I been told that I need this and that and gave me an outrages quotes. I was in the same boat as you and all I went in was getting some new tires. They told me that I need new struts, lower control arms and and alignment... I was quoted for $1200 + for all the parts and labor. I went to another Indy shop that specialized on European cars and did an inspection for the front suspension and they came back with a weak driver side outer tie rod end.

I replaced it myself one afternoon and took it in for an alignment.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 AM

I hear ya. That can definitely happen. I've had them install struts/shocks on my other cars (a Honda and a Saturn) and have had no problems. I guess what I am asking is: Is there something unique/special about BMW strut installation that these guys would not be able to handle. They said the only thing they can't handle was the alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat007 View Post
Pep Boys and Firestone are bunch of crooks. I been told that I need this and that and gave me an outrages quotes. I was in the same boat as you and all I went in was getting some new tires. They told me that I need new struts, lower control arms and and alignment... I was quoted for $1200 + for all the parts and labor. I went to another Indy shop that specialized on European cars and did an inspection for the front suspension and they came back with a weak driver side outer tie rod end.

I replaced it myself one afternoon and took it in for an alignment.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:16 PM

Anybody aware of any good deals on front struts going on? Bavarian has Bilstein HD for $489
Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomama View Post
My 2006 X3 seems to be bouncing all over the place. I called the dealer and he gave me an outrageous quote ($3-$4K). I was at Pep Boys today to get my snow tires mounted and they quoted me $465 for labor to do all 4 if I brought my own struts. They suggested I get the alignment at BMW as it requires some equipment they do not have.

Bavarian has the Biilstein's HD for $750.

My question: would you trust Pep Boys to do the install. The guy assured me there was nothing magical about the installation that required me to go to the dealer,

I'm in CT and do not know of any Indy BMW mechanics

Thanks
Has it been bouncing from bad shocks or is it's spring and the temps have been going up thereby raising the air pressure in the tires of which only a 1-2 psi increase will cause the X3's suspension to get so firm it will bounce the car over all bumps in the road. I'm only suggesting this because here in Chicago it's warmed up and I had to let about 4-5psi out of all my tires already and the ride is smooth as butter once again.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I guess what I am asking is: Is there something unique/special about BMW strut installation that these guys would not be able to handle.
No, there's not. It's as straightforward as any other car's suspension.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:57 PM

It absolutely needs new Struts mtbrdad. Thanks Bufalo.

Cheapest installation quote is from Pep Boys. Basically $200 for the front. I've decided to just do the front first. FCPEuro has OEM Sachs for $380 bucks. They also have this installation kit: You guys think it's worth getting for the extra money? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-e83strutkit
Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 PM

It'd be a decent kit if you were doing the work yourself, but the shop will probably reuse most of the parts listed there. I would recommend new strut mounts, but the rest of it is just extra.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 & 2009 Carrera
I had mine installed at Les Schwab. They first insisted that I need to buy them from them, but then they didn't have them in stock so they were ok with I providing them myself.my front struts were done at 50k miles, both of them were badly leaking oil.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:07 PM

Alright! My BMW drives like a BMW again. I got just the fronts done. Ended up getting Sachs struts and Lemforder mounts for $480 at FCP Euro and Pep Boys installed them for $238. Dealer wanted $1810.24 :-( I didn't get an alignment as PeP Boys said I need to get the dealer to do that. I didn't notice any issues driving home but will take care of that soon.

Question: I noticed the front is now a good 1.5" higher than the back. Installer said it's nothing to worry about and should settle a bit over time. You guys agree it's nothing to worry about?

Here are some links : https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ension-310-719
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ension-310-718
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-31336760943
Old 03-28-2015, 02:57 PM

It will settle, no worries.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Alright! My BMW drives like a BMW again. I got just the fronts done. Ended up getting Sachs struts and Lemforder mounts for $480 at FCP Euro and Pep Boys installed them for $238. Dealer wanted $1810.24 :-( I didn't get an alignment as PeP Boys said I need to get the dealer to do that. I didn't notice any issues driving home but will take care of that soon.

Question: I noticed the front is now a good 1.5" higher than the back. Installer said it's nothing to worry about and should settle a bit over time. You guys agree it's nothing to worry about?

Here are some links : https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ension-310-719
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ension-310-718
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-31336760943
According to the Bentley manual when measuring from the fender arch to the bottom of the rim when the car is in it's loaded position, which is a full tank of gas, 150lbs in each front seat, 150lbs in the rear seat center and 46lbs in the cargo compartment, regardless of wheel size the front is about 1/2" higher than the rear.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:13 PM

Thanks fellows!