Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Msport 3.0si
AC blows cold/warm & hot

Hello , first time BMW owner, first timer here.
I recently purchased a used 2007 X3 Msport 3.0si with 54k miles , the frustrating problem I'm having is with the Climate Control (the air conditioning to be more precise). When the engine is cold the A/C blows nice and cold (perfectly) , once the engine gets up to normal operating temperature (in about 2 miles or less) the A/C blows warm air. Doesn't matter if it is set to "AUTO" or not. I have the top dial (above the center vents) set to 3-blue dots. When I have the digital vent selectors set to just the foot wells it blows warm/hot. When I set the vent to just the top (windshield vents) it blows warm/hot. When I set it to just the dash vents the outer vents (nearest the doors) blow cold, the center vents blow cold & warm. The temperature is set to 60 on the Climate unit , the outside temp is showing 70 or higher. It should be blowing cold on all vents.

Now I have had it in an independent BMW shop (not a dealer) , first he tried freon recharge (he said it was low). This did not solve the problem. Then he said Heater Valve wasn't opening/closing properly (staying open that's why hot air was getting in) , so he replaced that , but still not working properly, said he checked all the fuses and they were all good. He said it must be the Climate Control Unit itself. I just replaced it with one I got on Ebay (seller says it checked out as good working condition). But still having same problem.

Fuses-check
Freon Recharge-check
Heater Valve-check
Climate Control Unit -check

Am I missing something here?
What can it be , why isn't the heater valve opening and closing like it should ?
Any input will be most appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2017, 05:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw++many
basics

>you could have a second heater control unit that is kaput too

>have you got the freon pressures from the tech ????.....did he vacuum and refill the system ......what charge did he put in ??????.....did he add PAG oil

>often the failure of signal at the heater valve is a sign there's something wrong in the control unit/other part of the electrical circuit.....did you do basic wiring/relay/fuse etc checks.....best to dig up your electrical drawing and double check

>can you feel that the AC return line to the compressor is chilled/sweating when the ac is on

>is the ac compressor kicking in when commanded on .....is the AC low pressure switch working.......best to take a look

>are the heater hoses to the bulkhead that pass thru to the heater core cold when the heat is off ????......gotta double check no hot coolant is seeping past the heater valve

Last edited by swampX3; 06-07-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
Check to see how the compressor is cycling. The pulley on the compressor.Always spins, but the pulley only connects to the compressor when the climate. Unit asks for AC. It's common for the clutch unit that connects the pulley and compressor to fail hot, that is , start working cold, then turn off after 5-10 minutes.

Diagnose by lifting hood when AC goes out, look down at AC compressor and visually assess clutch compressor.

If an AC tech doesn't catch this find a new garage, this is really basic stuff
Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Msport 3.0si
Problem Solved.
After a freon recharge , a new heater valve replaced and swapped out the control head unit with a good one I found on Ebay and still had the same problem, my local indie BMW mechanic traced the problem to a bad connector to the heater valve.
All is well. . . Ice cold A/C

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
control unit, heater valve

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search