Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Cost of fluid replacement

Hi, I just posted this as a reply in a thread about stick shifts. Then I realized it may be of more general interest, and you might skip it if you're not interested in stick shifts. So I've copied/quoted it here as a new thread. (Mods, if I've really messed up the system, please clean this up howver you want.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
Well, Miloc requested the cost of fluid replacement a couple of months ago. Sorry, didn't post as promised when I got back home. But last week I had fluids replaced. So for those interested, here's what it cost at a good indie shop. As I mentioned before, I've been replacing the various gear oils every 30K miles or so. I know some think that's excessive. But I'm hoping to keep this car a long time, and I'm following Mike Miller's prescriptions for long life.

Engine Oil Change:
Oil: $65 (BMW OEM)
Filter $14
Labor: $35
Total: $114
comment: I could get this done for about $25 less at the dealer relying on their frequent specials, but I decided to everything at my indie, one stop shopping, and overall price for everything was less.

Transfer Case Fluid:
Fluid: $36 (BMW OEM)
Labor: $56
Total: $92
comment: this fluid is really expensive (about $50/liter). They charged me for .7 liter. If I'd done it myself I would have had .3 liter left over, so I think that's a good deal. They also included the computer reset of the transfer case actuator, which as far as I know can't be done by a DIY without a computer connection and is supposed to be done every time this fluid is changed.

Differential oil:
Oil: $40 (BMW OEM)
Drain plug replacement: $18
Labor $70
Total: $128

Manual transmission fluid:
Oil: $23
Labor: $35
Total: $58
Comment: I used BMW OEM last time and found it "notchy". Before that I had a different brand, I think LubriMoly, which was smooth shifting so the OEM was a disappointment. This time I used Redline ATF D6, and it's smooth again.

While I was in the changing fluid mode, I also had them flush and replace power steering fluid, which I think I had done last at about 50K miles. That was $68 for fluid, $140 for labor.

Hope this helps someone. Thanks for reading!
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: E83
quite useful
tx a lot
regards