Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
the above case sounds like mine, the gear was good even though i bought another thinking it was the gear when it wasnt,

it had the same shudder... if your going to continue to drive it, disconnect the connector to the solenoid to stop the jerking, long term its not good for the driveline, the transmission or the transfer case chain

the motor brushes are likely worn all the way down and the commutator on the solenoid motor is black and dirty. thats why it doesnt have the power to properly engage the arms that actuate the clutch,

as soon as i replaced mine the lights and the shudder went away...

just disconnect the connector to the solenoid, if the shudder goes away, thats your problem, im pretty sure thats the problem. when you replace the solenoid, swap the resistor on the old solenoid to your new solenoid.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Seems to be fixed

Took my X3 to the mechanic Friday and suggested he turn the worn out gear to a fresh section to see if it works. He did this and I have put about 100 miles on it since without any problems.

Hopefully that fixed it for the next 75K miles.

He said the gear they use was like the one on the power window mechanism. He said it makes no sense to have plastic gear in this place in the construction.

I don't know if I will find other problems when I hit 80K miles but hopefully this is the last thing before 140K.

Thx
Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0Si
Lights on mine seem to go on a little bit less frequent. Took a 200 miles trip over weekend and have not seen them for at least two days. The ratcheting sounds still happen on the engine shutoff. Got appointment to fix it in two days (found out that my CPO is not expired yet). I'll update on the findings.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Hey, guys - new here and found this thread via Google, but I didn't see a similar one for my 328xi, but I'm having the same problem (Brake, ABS and 4x4 lights, occasional grinding noise after shutoff).

I don't have a lift or anything but I'm fairly handy - anyone know how hard it would be to get under my car (obviously it's lower to the ground) and try to perform this repair, and/or anything else I should be aware of or try to rule out before trying it?

This is my first BMW and I've only had it two months - I'm not really keen on having a $1000+ repair right out of the gate if I can avoid it, but I don't want to screw up my car, either...
Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Well, after looking at my car I don't think there's any way I can fix anything underneath it... one thing I wanted to add, though: I just realized that this all started right after I went through an automatic car wash with the underbody wash. Anything that you guys can think of that could have caused this from the wash?

Also, two more questions:
1. My car is a 2007 but only has 49k miles on it. Should I try to get it into the dealer before 50k to increase my chances of some kind of goodwill fix?
2. If I just let it go for a while without fixing it, is there a chance it will damage something else and make the ultimate repair more expensive? It seems to drive completely fine from what I can tell, although I haven't been anywhere to test whether the AWD is working or not.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0Si
So after figuring out I still have CPO it was fixed by BMW. They replaced transfer case activator. Their fault codes were 539E 5463 5F3A and 5462 "Servo motor or coupling force too much". BMW's test plan directed to check lines from transfer case control module to servomotor, Which were fine. The next step according to BMW test plan is to replace motor actuator. Which was done and took care of this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
I don't have a lift or anything but I'm fairly handy - anyone know how hard it would be to get under my car (obviously it's lower to the ground) and try to perform this repair, and/or anything else I should be aware of or try to rule out before trying it?
Just try it. Height-wise you will know if you can get there if you get your back on the floor.

Issue I had with 2007 X3 is very tight space, unless you take out exhaust and cross member. I doubt anyone could tell you how it is on your car.

And then you need torx and hex drivers, no big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	receipt.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	330193  

Last edited by tehcook; 06-22-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: attached photo
Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: X3, A6, Maxima, Jetta
My wifes 2008 X3 with 42k miles lit up the brake, 4X4,abs and airbag light with no ratcheting sound. The 4X4 was acting funny like it was 4x4 on a part time system like an s-10 chevy or ford for those who have had either of those. My battery was low, so I replaced, did a quick 10 mile drive and it went away. While researching this topic I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-x3-x5-Tr...bc6b8a&vxp=mtr

Might be worth a try, has anyone ever used this vendor?

Hopefully I wont need it.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Has been commented on earlier in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=128

Don't know if dannyy06 in P.R. was able to use the service.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: X3, A6, Maxima, Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaizin View Post
My wifes 2008 X3 with 42k miles lit up the brake, 4X4,abs and airbag light with no ratcheting sound. The 4X4 was acting funny like it was 4x4 on a part time system like an s-10 chevy or ford for those who have had either of those. My battery was low, so I replaced, did a quick 10 mile drive and it went away. While researching this topic I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-x3-x5-Tr...bc6b8a&vxp=mtr

Might be worth a try, has anyone ever used this vendor?

Hopefully I wont need it.
Just took it for another ride, it drives fine, no lights are on. When you shut it off there is a noise from transfer case like a motor trying to engage for about 1/4 of a sceond. Any ideas??
Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
Well, after looking at my car I don't think there's any way I can fix anything underneath it... one thing I wanted to add, though: I just realized that this all started right after I went through an automatic car wash with the underbody wash. Anything that you guys can think of that could have caused this from the wash?

Also, two more questions:
1. My car is a 2007 but only has 49k miles on it. Should I try to get it into the dealer before 50k to increase my chances of some kind of goodwill fix?
2. If I just let it go for a while without fixing it, is there a chance it will damage something else and make the ultimate repair more expensive? It seems to drive completely fine from what I can tell, although I haven't been anywhere to test whether the AWD is working or not.
there very well is water iun the connectors, disconnect the wires to the actuatort and resistor and clean with spray electronic or contact cleaner
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: X3
rotated gear

i completed it for my girlfriend had to loosen the cross member and the exhaust it made it very easy to get to when all that stuff is out of the way, disasembeled the motor from the housing did notice the spent gear, so rotated it 180 added dielectric lube to the worm gear and reinstalled everything.

she then drove the X3 and was very excited lights went off and X3 seemed to drive better
so we will see how long this will last her X3 is at 82k
Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw X3
Hello its me again. if you read this post from the beginning i was the first to try this solution
and i worked four months then i took it out again rotate bit more and it last around two months. I try to buy a service for the actuator over ebay but i could not do it because i need it to take it out send it to them then wait until they send it back i couldn't stay without transportation without knowing if it was going to work, i wrote to the seller over ebay just to see if he will sell the repair kit and i will do it my self but he said NO. So finally looking over ebay i found a new actuator in Canada i bought it for $350 installed it and no more issues. So in conclusion the fix works for a while it will delay the time to buy a new one. Hopefully jeff will soon have a solution in which we will be able to buy just the worn gear.

Last edited by dannyy06; 06-26-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Has been commented on earlier in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=128

Don't know if dannyy06 in P.R. was able to use the service.
Hello its me again. if you read this post from the beginning i was the first to try this solution
and i worked four months then i took it out again rotate bit more and it last around two months. I try to buy a service for the actuator over ebay but i could not do it because i need it to take it out send it to them then wait until they send it back i couldn't stay without transportation without knowing if it was going to work, i wrote to the seller over ebay just to see if he will sell the repair kit and i will do it my self but he said NO. So finally looking over ebay i found a new actuator in Canada i bought it for $350 installed it and no more issues. So in conclusion the fix works for a while it will delay the time to buy a new one. Hopefully jeff will soon have a solution in which we will be able to buy just the worn gear.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
So I was so excited to find this posting and could not wait to get home and turn my gear 180 to rid myself of the "terrible triad". It took me about 1 hour for the task. ( no lift, no ramps, used sockets, torx, extensions, and universal, I did not have to loosen the crossmember ). I was so excited to restart my X3 and wait for the lights to dissappear into oblivion..........BUT they did not. I feel so defeated. Do I need to have the diagnostic reset or disconnect the battery? After reading everyone else's post, it appears that the lights just cleared themselves.

Here is the history (as short and sweet as possible)
Bought used 1 year ago, currently with 63K mileage.
Three months ago was intermittently delayed to start, sometimes immediate crank, sometimes 1-2 sec start. Thought it was battery, charge light indicated needed charge. Charged battery, but would not hold sufficient charge to get green light. (BATT test says good battery)...decided not to hassle with inconsistent charge and with the wife breathing down my neck about it, I bought a new battery. After new battery installed, no problems on start for two months.
Bought a small boat and installed a CURTs hitch DIY. No problems with install, no wiring had to be connected nor disconnected for install. Decided to use a trailer light conversion kit I had sitting around the garage to DIY the lights. (Ended up with only connecting turn signals, brake lights, and ground.) Average distance for tow has been 1 mile.
Anytime I connected the trailer lights up, lights work appropriately, except I would get the Bulb warning light on the dash. (figured it was a bad bulb on trailer somewhere and when I disconnected trailer light plug the light extiinguishes)..thougth not a big deal at the time.
Still no "terrible triad" of lights...........
One week afterwards the intermittent delay start began again. I was going to troubleshoot it on the following weekend, when during the middle of the week, the X3 would not start. Tried jumping it off, because I thought it might be low voltage on battery, but still would not turn over. Had it towed to the local BMW garage ( not a BMW dealership). They ran diagnostic and determined it was low voltage (possible bad battery) and the starter. So I had a starter installed. Picked up two days later and started right up.
Within 24 hours I got my first encounter with the "terrible triad" warning lights (ABS.4x4,yellow brake).....but they went out after driving about 15 minutes.
Towed the boat once after these lights extinguished during that weekend with no problems other than the bulb indicator warning light as mentioned above.
On Monday, the "terrible triad" resurfaced and did not reset all week, I started to research on the internet. Called the BMW garage where I had the work done and they suggested I bring it by to have a diagnostic run. After the diagnostic, they suggested that I buy a new battery as the one installed was good, but the diagnostic was indicating low voltage (bad battery). So I went and exchanged the battery which when tested was GOOD and the Alternator tested as GOOD, but they exchanged it like for like anyways to put me at ease. After the exchange, the "terrible triad" lights were still illuminated. So I went back to the BMW garage and they reset the diagnostic for me. All three warning lights were gone. After signing the paperwork for the free work they documented, I went to start the X3 and it was delayed to start and after another hour of troubleshooting, the mechanic determined it must be a bad starter. So i left it with them and they replaced the starter the very next day and replaced the motor grounding strap that had a little corrosion on it, at no cost to me. I picked the X3 up with no warning lights and starts right up with no problems. I get home and immediately remove the trailer light connections, thinking now that there may have been a short somewhere and i don't want to chance draining the battery again.
Two days later, without pulling the boat at all, the "terrible triad" resurfaces. Then I find this posting and am convinced that it would solve my problems, but the fight continues, and any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:15 AM

Was the gear worn..were the teeth chewed up that it required turning the gear ...which OS only a bandaid anyway
Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 AM

I did not remove the silver cover plate to look at the teeth to determine if they were worn. I probably should have in hindsight, but I think in a previous post it suggested to not remove the cover plate as it make not re-mate. I just marked the white gear and rotated 180 degrees. Do you suggest I need to remove it again and take that cover plate off to look at the teeth?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:35 AM

yes you have to, i dont understand how you were able to rotate the gear with removing the plate, the retainer washer and dissasembling it..

if you open it up and the teeth are perfect, then it coud be that the brushes inside the motor portion are comletely worn and or the commutator has too much carbon it to pass the proper amount of voltage to the motor to get it to turn properly,

if the commutator looks really black then use some 400 grit sandpaper and lightly sand it all the way around untill its clean copper and reassemble

when you pry the cover off it may bend or distort, no big deal, its fairly pliable, just bend it back to shape and push it back into its place, it will not fall out

i really think its your commutator and brushes

Last edited by 1hander; 06-27-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:10 AM

I removed the unit as a whole. Then I marked the current position of the white gear with a sharpie on the bottom. The I separated the motor housing and pulled out the worm gear together. The white gear rotated counterclockwise slightly. A small amount of brush dust fell out. I rotated the gear 180 degrees from this position. When re-installing the worm gear and mating the housing I had to use a flat head screw driver to separate the spring tensioned brushes around the first wheel thingy. When fully inserted the white gear rotated to a position that was 180 degrees from the original marked position ( now at the top ). I did not verify that the brushes where in contact with the barrel portion that sticks out in the picture. Do I need to re-mate the motor housing differently and make sure the brushes are riding on which part? Also I noticed that during this whole process the motor housing casing was warmer to the touch than the rest of the transfer case. Not hot just warmer. Could that mean that the commutator is stuck and could that drain my battery? I'm just brainstorming at this point.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 AM

actually the commutator is the copper just under that black ring your arrow is pointing to..how much is left of the brushes...

it will only go back one way i think, but clean the commutator, did the gear have a groove worn down the center of the teeth

Last edited by 1hander; 06-27-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM

If I had to guess maybe 1/8" or more for visible brush length. And the worm gear did not appear to have any wear on it, and had very little grease on it.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 AM

try cleaning the commutator and putting it back together, also...its the teeth on the plastic gear that get a groove worn in them, not the worm gear...if all the teeth on the gear are intact then theres no need to woryy about the gear...just clean the comm..

but they are wornout..thats how much brush i had left, had to buy a new actuator
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM

I'll try it again, and say a little prayer as the wife is already new car shopping, I've got to get this to work or its going to really cost me.........
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 PM

theres really no need to buy a new car, the x3 has a much better transmission than the x5 ever had..

the actuator is a part that is ALWAYS opening and closing either just a bit at a time or all the open then close when you start the truck, things like brushes wear out, theres no way around it...

what i find scary is your battery low issue...which very well could be whats causing your 3 light situation...that i would find unsettling as an owner of a 63k mile x3..but the onl,y way to know for sure is to buy a brand new actuator, about 700.00 at the dealer......and it may bnot even be that...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Strike 2 for me.... I pulled the actuator again tonight. There was a worn spot on the gear and I checked, and double checked to make sure i was 180 degrees out prior to buttoning it up. The brushes had plenty of length left and the commutator was sanded and cleaned. The "terrible triad" has beat me silly. I checked battery voltage and got 12.54v across the battery while off and 14.04v idle. No more delay on start issues since my last starter install. Brake fluid looks good and tried to reset the steering sensor calibration by rotating lock to lock. I will try to make time to get by for another diagnostic reading before proceeding with a new transfer actuator. It pains me.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I've been driving with the triad of lights intermittently on and clicking noise at turn off for the past 2 weeks. For the last several days the clicking noise has stopped at turn off and the 4x4 light is always on. Could this mean that the actuator has permanently failed or that something is going on with the actual transfer case?

I was going to try and perform the gear rotation this weekend, but am not sure if it's even worth it at this point.