Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i spt pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by manvee1 View Post
I'm having a pro come take a look later this week, spent way too much time on this. I think 1 post explained it better how the wrong tools/access can make a 1hr job turn into a 10 hr job- post was wrong its more like 2days .

I used 8mm, 1/4 ratchet + another little larger ratchet for the other 3 screws. Now tempted to go get E10 but would rather wait for pro since I foresee the replacement of the cross member as another potential show stopper down the line. Cant see how 1 would easily be able to hold that up and fasten in a timely manner.

tx
Well pro never turned up so had to complete job myself. Got E10 for worn socket but E10 didnít fit either. Luckily E10 came in a set. Tried E12, and bingo! E12 fit perfectly. Got screw out with limited effort. In fact E12 worked fine for all 4 screws including the slightly worn 1. Universal adapter was also very helpful. This I feel was the missing link & made replacing much easier. Tx 4 the recommendation.

When it came to removing plate from transfer case actuator, I used a CRV 1/8 - Hex Bit Socket hooked onto 1/4" Telescoping Socket Driver. This bit was thin enough to pry open from the top right. Grinding screwdriver was not an option 4 me.

When it came to removing the gear from the case, I had to use a large enough screwdriver as clearly stated in videos. Found that using a smaller screwdriver meant u wonít have enough lift to bypass the lumpy obstacle keeping gear in place.

When it came to returning cross member to its position. Hooked up 2 screws closest to side of car 1st, then used jack to hold & lift other side of cross member to bolt 3rd and 4th screw in. Had to move jack to a couple of positions get these last 2 bolts flush & tightly against underbody.

Yes, old gear was worn as expected. Test drove for 30 miles, no more lights or clicking noise when engine shut off. I do seem to notice under acceleration but will investigate further in coming days.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 3.0d X3, 2009
[QUOTE=jonty49au;8346710]Hi, I was getting the intermittent jerking /shuddering under acceleration but only after driving for 15-20 mins, ie. properly warmed up! Auto gearbox guy did not know what it was but after reading on this site I decided to try replacing the transfer case fluid and it fixed it !

Pleased to hear another success in fixing the problem.

According to my own experience, there are a few things more worth of paying attention to:

1, After replacing the gear, it's better to rest the transfer case via a BMW program. I noticed mine after the repair without the reset, the acceleration was a bit sluggish. During the reset, you can hear the actuator is forward and backward a few times, I guess it's aligning the actuator with the clutches until the front/rear proportion is right.
2. After changed the fluid, there is another reset for the transfer case. During the reset, you can also hear the actuator is exercising forward and backward a few times.
3. I always suspect the BMW TF-0870 fluid is not the best fluid otherwise there would not have seen such a high wearing rate on the chain and the clutch. I suspect TF-0870 is a specification and there may be more than one maker are making it. Like engine or gear box oil, with the same spec you can get very high quality oil but very low ones as well. Some uses fully synthetic oil such as the Ravenol TF-0870 but the BMW one is made by Shell and it does not look like synthetic. It's basically a 75W GL4 gear box oil. But I believe we have to be very careful as this transfer box has a active clutch and the oil must suit it as well. As my car has long passed the warranty. I don't mind experimenting it a bit to see if the situation can be improved. I have to declare that this is purely my own experience. If you follow it you must take the responsibility yourself. I first attempted to get Ravenol TF-0870 in OZ but with no success. Then I have checked more than 10 types of synthetic gear box oils and I have found RED LINE D6 fully synthetic ATF has the closest characteristics comparing to TF-0870. It's also a GL4 gear box oil, has the nearest viscosity and it's suitable for auto transmission with bands and clutches. To be safe, I used 0.5 litter BMW TF-0870, 0.4 litter D6. The result is amazing. The whole drive chain appears to be freed up completely. The engine seems to drive the car a lot easier, often one gear higher. I often have the engine running at 1300 RPM, no turbo, and the car is running at 60 KM/hour, of course it's a diesel. This was not seen even when the car was new.
4. After I fixed the transfer box, I also reset the auto transmission. this one you don't need a computer to do it.
5. I 've installed a Dimple magnetic sump plug (very expensive but they claimed it can stand high temperature) on the transfer case drain hole and next year I may drain the oil again to see if any more metallic particles.

Last edited by enjoydriving; 05-24-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-26-2014, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: e83 X3 3.0d Msport
Wrong post.

Last edited by Monkeydub; 05-26-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I just did the gear replacement and since there is so much information spread out around the internet and in forums on this topic I created a post to try to consolidate it (see below). So far so good, it fixed the problem no more warning lights and no more clicking when I turn off the car. I chose to replace the gear with a new one rather than risk it failing or slipping back into the worn out portion of the gear, my reasoning being if I was going to spend a Sunday working on this I didn't want to ever have to repeat it

I included my photos and the 3 best videos I found on the problem/replacement:

BMW Transfer Case Actuator Problem And Fix

Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I found the hardest part to be getting the actuator motor off of the transfer case since it's so tight getting in there. As others have mentioned a universal joint really helps. I couldn't have done it without one since m y ratchet would not fit width wise in the space to get to the torx bolts.

Last edited by jvest2000; 06-09-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2008
Does anyone know if this problem would be taken care by 'CPO Extended Warranty'....

Thanks in advance
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvest2000 View Post
I just did the gear replacement and since there is so much information spread out around the internet and in forums on this topic I created a post to try to consolidate it (see below). So far so good, it fixed the problem no more warning lights and no more clicking when I turn off the car. I chose to replace the gear with a new one rather than risk it failing or slipping back into the worn out portion of the gear, my reasoning being if I was going to spend a Sunday working on this I didn't want to ever have to repeat it

I included my photos and the 3 best videos I found on the problem/replacement:

BMW Transfer Case Actuator Problem And Fix

Great write-up with great video links too.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: '02 Volvo V70 T5 5 sp
Hi folks,

My 2006 E60 530xi does not click, it whines at higher rpms. Three different mechanics said it's the transfer case, and quoted around $3,000 to replace.

Might the issue instead be the problem addressed in this thread? Additionally, would the X3/5 parts be the same for the e60 4x4?

TIA!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw x5 3.0i
BMW x5 3.0i transfer case actuator

Hi
I am new to this forum and to owning a 2006 BMW x5 3.0i. The day after I bought it from a car dealer the Check engine light came on. I had my son who is a mechanic plug it in and apparently it had a code for the air flow meter. A few days later the ABS, 4 x 4, and brake lights all came on, he plugged it in again and it had the code on for the transfer case. I called the dealer, he has ordered an actuator that he will ship to me and I will have it installed. Do you know if the computer on the x5 will than have to be rebooted after a fix like that? I phoned BMW, they want $350 to install the actuator and reboot the computer whereas I can have it installed for about $80 without the reboot.
Thanks for any info anybody might have. I am quite discouraged by my purchase, as I've only had it for 2 weeks and maybe driven it for 3 days. Its a beautiful lawn ornament at the moment.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
gazeymay,

Just had the same Transfer Case situation on my X3. Purchased the gear (Ranging from 26.00 to 70.00 USD on ebay) and replaced it. All is fine now and the triad of lights are gone.... At least they have not come back for the past days.

I did not have to reset the computer. However, it might be necessary and I just do not know about it.

Hopefully, someone else with more bimmer experience can chime in and clarify if in fact we need to reset something on the computer.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks so much!!! Fingers crossed that it will work out well. I will keep you posted once mine is repaired.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
AFAIK, computer is reset under the following:

- replacement of complete actuator
- replacement of transfer case
- fluid replacement (not essential, but preferable)

A computer reset after simple gear wheel replacement (or rotating) is not necessary.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 AM

Thank you so much. Apparently the dealer is shipping over the actuator. He said it cost $600. So am not sure if it is the whole assembly or just the gear piece.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 528i gone but not forgott
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazeymay View Post
Thank you so much. Apparently the dealer is shipping over the actuator. He said it cost $600. So am not sure if it is the whole assembly or just the gear piece.
This should be a cost for entire actuator motor. You dont want to spend $600 for the gear only...

Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Thank you for that. I guess than I will have to have BMW reboot the computer. Or is it ok to hopefully just change it and it will work ok?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazeymay View Post
Thank you for that. I guess than I will have to have BMW reboot the computer. Or is it ok to hopefully just change it and it will work ok?
If you do a gear swap you will need to reset the computer but I am no 100% sure.

Last edited by boss22; 07-19-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:10 PM

According to BMW TIS (instructions) and DIS (software), you need to rest the computer in different procedures listed in the BMW software when replacing the actuator or changing oil . I tried this when repairing my transfer box (replace the gear and change the oil). The actuator procedure exercises the clutch a few times and reconfirms the resistor value. The oil change procedure zeroes the integrators in the program and exercises the clutch a few times.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 2.5 MT
How do you save $1200????!!!

I did the gear fix.. went to amazon and purchased the gear from BMA Parts - Since 1978. It took about 2.5 hours to replace on a 2004 X3. I've been driving around all day and so far so good. Hopefully I remember to chime in in a few months and report back.

The old gear had several teeth that were worn out but it actually looked a little worn out at the 180 degree point. Based on the way everything looked and the tightness, I really don't think anyone has done the rotation fix so I'm not sure what's going on there....

I can't begin to thank the OP and all the others that have posted in this thread... I also used the tutorial and videos from JVEST2000 in post 479.

Crossing my fingers that this works for a long time to come!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Unhappy Gear replaced....lights still on

HELP!

2005, X5: Have the terrible triad of light. Obtained and replaced the plastic actuator gear and the lights are still on. When ignition is turned on, you can hear the actuator motor run (sounds smooth), but the lights continue to haunt me.

What other sensors input into these lights and how to check them????

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etn011 View Post
2005, X5: Have the terrible triad of light. Obtained and replaced the plastic actuator gear and the lights are still on. When ignition is turned on, you can hear the actuator motor run (sounds smooth), but the lights continue to haunt me.

What other sensors input into these lights and how to check them????
Don't think a worn actuator gear itself turns the triad of lights on.

The only symptom is a clicking noise on shutdown.

So replacing the gear was not going to turn off the lights.
A lot of other xDrive related and DSC sensors are involved.

During an extended run it may be that once all the polling of those sensors has gone through a cycle the lights will now go out with a properly functioning transfer case.

But I suspect it is necessary to look for any recorded error codes with the appropriate computer and turn them off that way.

In the X3 you don't hear the actuator motor run when the ignition is switched on.
Just various relays, servos and chimes getting energized behind the dashboard area.
Surely the X5 is similar?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Gear replaced lights still on

Sorry, should have been clearer. Lights originally came on coincident with clicking in the actuator. Original gear was found worn and was replaced. Original start-up afterwards yielded no lights for 30 seconds or less and then all 3 came back on
Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 AM

Some plastic gear seller packages the gear with a AL22 chip. I suspect the chip is a hall effect sensor for detecting the actuator motor rotation. If the motor keep turning as a result of the faulty sensor that may make sense. I will check the two connectors first then the new gear again. If it has been damaged, replace the chip as well.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nae View Post
My mechanic removed the motor and the black plastic gear did not look bad although we could not see well through the grease. In fact the part that looked damaged was the thread on the motor (red arrow on picture). That was not expected since it is metal. We did the 180 rotation but nothing changed. I ordered the motor and hope that will fix it.
Great job! I have probably the same problem in my 528xi. The plastic beats the metal unreal...
I am asking is this a BMW or f...ing KIA??
And new actuator motor is $600!!
I am so disappointed on this car...

P.S. Is there any chance to replace only the damaged part inside the motor?

Last edited by boss22; 08-20-2014 at 06:48 PM.