Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 MSport 3.0d
Points for discussion X3 3.0d MSport UK spec

A couple of points for discussion:

Auto Stop/Start: I find this activates too quickly e.g. when pulling up at a road junction, and should have, say, a five second delay or even the ability for the driver to vary the delay in vehicle settings.

Auto Brake: I feel that the default setting should be 'on' rather than 'off'.

Random Play of music list: Once changed should remain in random play until changed back rather than defaulting back each time the engine is turned off.

What do others think?
Ads by Google
Old 09-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Agreed

Agreed about the auto-stop thing, it seems rather keen to pull the plug :-)

Not actually tried the auto-brake thing, only had the car a few days. What is the use of that if you have an auto-box?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
My X3 is the second BMW I have owned with the stop/start facility and I am unsure about its overall effectiveness, especially on an auto. The stop/start function cuts in far less often than on my previous 120d. I have also experienced a slight delay in start up when the brake pedal is released so to ensure a speedy getaway at junctions I tend to ease up slightly on the brake pedal (not enough to allow the vehicle to move) which starts the engine. In stop start traffic I turn the damn thing off. I agree re the auto brake and also that the settings for audio preferences etc. should be storable in vehicle settings. I also wish I could turn off the endless warnings and commands that tell me stuff I already know ('ignition is on', 'door is open', 'dinner is ready'). Otherwise I love the car which for a 2.0 diesel goes pretty well. (but not as well as your 3.0D).
Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: F25 3.0D MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
Not actually tried the auto-brake thing, only had the car a few days. What is the use of that if you have an auto-box?
You don't sit there are the lights with your foot on the brake causing your brake lights to blind the person behind you -
Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 LCI M5 September del
When using the "Auto Brake" does this not stop the "Stop/Start" function from working?.
If so it's default set to "off" would be sensible, or your Stop/Start would never work if Auto Stop selected.
In heavy slow moving traffic it would make sense to turn it off as you move forward frequently.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 MSport 3.0d
Auto brake

Auto Brake automatically applies the hand brake when you stop and releases it when you start and works in conjunction with Auto Stop/Start so no need to hold the car on the foot brake with an automatic. However Auto Brake has to be switched on each time the car is started which seems to be the wrong way round
Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sanford View Post
Auto Brake automatically applies the hand brake when you stop and releases it when you start and works in conjunction with Auto Stop/Start so no need to hold the car on the foot brake with an automatic. However Auto Brake has to be switched on each time the car is started which seems to be the wrong way round
The Auto Hold is something that's not a known concept for most average drivers and BMW doesn't want to frighten off Americans who don't read the owner's manual. Furthermore, the green illuminated Auto H on the dash might cause folks to think something's wrong with the car upon start up.

Very, very few Americans outside of this forum know what the Auto H does, much less even use it.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 AM

I have noticed that the stop/start function seems to work more frequently when auto-hold is activated (UK spec 2.0D). I now always engage auto-hold after start up. I also like the ability to start the engine with a brief touch of the throttle without the car moving forward which helps for a prompt move-off.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak52 View Post
I have noticed that the stop/start function seems to work more frequently when auto-hold is activated (UK spec 2.0D). I now always engage auto-hold after start up. I also like the ability to start the engine with a brief touch of the throttle without the car moving forward which helps for a prompt move-off.
I am pleased you find the stop/start works well with "Auto-Hold", I am looking forward to my 35d X3 M Sport coming in dec/jan. My frend in germany working for BMW tells me the 35D engine is really powerfull in the X3, especially through the gears Much quicker than the 3.0 D engine.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 AM

A slight twitch of the steering wheel will also re-start the engine. I find that useful.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivem2 View Post
A slight twitch of the steering wheel will also re-start the engine. I find that useful.
Well I didn't know that, can't wait to try that one!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I am pleased you find the stop/start works well with "Auto-Hold", I am looking forward to my 35d X3 M Sport coming in dec/jan. My frend in germany working for BMW tells me the 35D engine is really powerfull in the X3, especially through the gears Much quicker than the 3.0 D engine.
I envy you, the 2.0D goes well enough, hope you enjoy! I half wish I'd been patient enough to wait for the bigger engines. You gone for the auto?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I'm guessing that the 3.5D will gain from 2 aspects;

1) it is more powerful, though not by a huge margin (12.5%) for the all important torque

2) smaller and twin scroll turbo will make it feel more responsive

Coming from an E93 335i I find the 3.0D performance very good indeed. Whilst there are comments on how car-like the handling is there's no way it has the crazy amount of grip my E93 had. With the E93 I had to be very deliberate in trying to get it to slide in the dry. The F25 slides more easily, and very nicely too. I some ways the F25 is more fun because of this.

My more important upgrade would not be 3.0D to 3.5D, instead it would be RFT to real tyres. Mines a lease so I can't......the tyres are ok but I know the characteristics of RFTs too well and still notice them. BMW make money from options due to RFTs, owners wouldn't want DHP/VDC if they used real tyres
Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I envy you, the 2.0D goes well enough, hope you enjoy! I half wish I'd been patient enough to wait for the bigger engines. You gone for the auto?
yep 8 speed M Sport with Adjustable suspension
Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Nice one, make sure you post some pics when it arrrives.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Nice one, make sure you post some pics when it arrrives.
Will do for sure.