Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Winter tyres UK standard use

OK, so here's the deal.

I finished my love affair with Mercedes C-Class and finally took delivery of X3 30d Msport last week. The basic choice for getting the X3 was the AWD it offered. Believe me, in snow and ice, even on normal flat roads, that Merc was going round in circles. Rear wheel drive and summer tyres is NOT a good combo.

So, my question is this. Given that my colleagues have different forms of AWD vehice (example a4 quattro, honda CRV etc..) all with summer tyres and they say the were fine last winter (with caution), then IS IT REALLY NECESSARY to get winter tyres? I mean, I'm not going to be driving through fields and the like, but I live on a road 20degree incline, and would hate to slide down the b*stard again.

Has anyone in UK (or comparable climate) lived through the last winter with the standard summer Pzero RFT on? Any comments?

I saw this video which gave me a fright ...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/b...-winter-tyres/

Any comments welcome.

John

p.s for our American friends, it's tyres not tires ;-)

p.p.s just joking with you :-)
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
OK, so here's the deal.

I finished my love affair with Mercedes C-Class and finally took delivery of X3 30d Msport last week. The basic choice for getting the X3 was the AWD it offered. Believe me, in snow and ice, even on normal flat roads, that Merc was going round in circles. Rear wheel drive and summer tyres is NOT a good combo.

So, my question is this. Given that my colleagues have different forms of AWD vehice (example a4 quattro, honda CRV etc..) all with summer tyres and they say the were fine last winter (with caution), then IS IT REALLY NECESSARY to get winter tyres? I mean, I'm not going to be driving through fields and the like, but I live on a road 20degree incline, and would hate to slide down the b*stard again.

Has anyone in UK (or comparable climate) lived through the last winter with the standard summer Pzero RFT on? Any comments?

I saw this video which gave me a fright ...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/b...-winter-tyres/

Any comments welcome.

John

p.s for our American friends, it's tyres not tires ;-)

p.p.s just joking with you :-)
You WILL need winters: I have on order ( arriving friday) Team Dynamics 1.3 Pro-Race Black alloys 18" with dunlop winter sport 3D XL 100V Run-Flats.
They will be great when my X3 35D M Sport arrives at Xmas time.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 AM

Thanks ... just when you think you have the sweetest engine, a bigger one comes along ;-)

I had an amazing moment of inspiration after I posted that ... here it is ...

Given that I have the car on lease for 4 years, it's pretty certain I will have to buy a tyre or 2 (!) during that time.

Therefore, it probably makes sense that, if I bring the purchase abnormally forward to quite soon, I should buy a set of full winters in the next month or so (probably early November). Then, if I have them on the car till March and store them somewhere from April -> October, use them again next year etc...

Does this sound like a reasonable proposal? Thus, over the lifetime of the car, I work in the 5 months Winters / 8 months summers. It probably won't work out that much more expensive than if I got normal summers all the way through the 4 years (and more safe to boot?).

Am I talking cr*p?

John
Old 09-08-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks ... just when you think you have the sweetest engine, a bigger one comes along ;-)

I had an amazing moment of inspiration after I posted that ... here it is ...

Given that I have the car on lease for 4 years, it's pretty certain I will have to buy a tyre or 2 (!) during that time.

Therefore, it probably makes sense that, if I bring the purchase abnormally forward to quite soon, I should buy a set of full winters in the next month or so (probably early November). Then, if I have them on the car till March and store them somewhere from April -> October, use them again next year etc...

Does this sound like a reasonable proposal? Thus, over the lifetime of the car, I work in the 5 months Winters / 8 months summers. It probably won't work out that much more expensive than if I got normal summers all the way through the 4 years (and more safe to boot?).

Am I talking cr*p?

John
Thats how I intend to use them, I have the 550i M Sport soon going for the 35D M Sport X3, the wheels were ordered for the 500i with sizes that fit the X3 as well, team dynamics had the wheels made with off sets ET 35 8.5" * 18" and they fit both cars.
I will put these on for winter months only, and they should last for years.
Whats your economy like?.
PS) order soon as I have waited 3 months for the tyres.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Am I talking cr*p?

John
Well, not total cr*p. That's about what I plan, and I'm not leasing. There's also the cost for a set of winter wheels/rims to consider. When I return from holiday at the end of November I plan to switch over from the OEM tires and wheels to a different set for the winter. It's yet to be determined if I switch to aftermarket wheels (cheaper), or OEM wheels (more expensive, and less available).
Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 AM

Eeek - why do I need winter wheels? Surely the tyres can just be replaced onto the set I have?

Are you thinking about the damage the salt etc.. would cause to the alloys over the winter period?

Signed - curious of Yorkshire :-)

(p,s about the MPG. I only had the car a little over a week and done 300 miles in it. When I first drove it I floored it a little, thus the MPG sat aroun 23.1 MPG. I then started to drive a little more frugally and it has since been creeping up. It's now at approx 32MPG and rising, although I fear I must reset it to get rid of those first few miles of fun. I hope the 35d is cool, this 30d engine is seriously quick, esp. when you flip over to sport mode and control the gears yourself)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Eeek - why do I need winter wheels? Surely the tyres can just be replaced onto the set I have?

Are you thinking about the damage the salt etc.. would cause to the alloys over the winter period?

Signed - curious of Yorkshire :-)

(p,s about the MPG. I only had the car a little over a week and done 300 miles in it. When I first drove it I floored it a little, thus the MPG sat aroun 23.1 MPG. I then started to drive a little more frugally and it has since been creeping up. It's now at approx 32MPG and rising, although I fear I must reset it to get rid of those first few miles of fun. I hope the 35d is cool, this 30d engine is seriously quick, esp. when you flip over to sport mode and control the gears yourself)
Good news on the economy and power front, you do not really need another set of wheels, but it's a real pain to keep changing tyres over IMO.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: Morgan+8, (EvaGT), X3 F25
Believe me that winter tyres are the right choice for the UK! The 'dragon mobile' (my wife's 5 year old CRV) had its first winter tyres last year and was absolutely magic! My son's 3 series even worked well in the snow and ice with winter tyres fitted! Our new F25 is due a set and when they eventually arrive (ordered in January with the car) and it looks like we will benefit from them this side of Christmas.

A word of advice........order them without further delay if you want to use them before the winter of 2012!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 PM

Done!

Thanks man, I did already do that. I opted to get just tyres though to cut cost slightly.

I wanted the Pirelli Sotozero, but just as I came to order them there was a void of such tyres. I eventually plummed for the dunlop winter sport 3d, even getting them was a hellish pain - seems everyone wants to buy such tyres this year.

Looking to put them on soon, which should be interesting.

I would ideally like one day to try the current tyres, versus the winter ones on some snow. That's unlikely though :-/

J
Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Angry BMW UK Winter Tyre Orders.

Would those BMW UK customers who have placed an order for X3 (F25) winter wheels and tyres be advised the UK allocation is being redirected to customers in Europe. I am reliably informed that this is due to the fact that in most European countries winter tyres are now required by law.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMog View Post
Would those BMW UK customers who have placed an order for X3 (F25) winter wheels and tyres be advised the UK allocation is being redirected to customers in Europe. I am reliably informed that this is due to the fact that in most European countries winter tyres are now required by law.
I did NOT order through BMW.
I am glad I got mine before this.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Wtf?

So what, TogMog, you ordered yours and now they say you can't have them because Johny Foreigner gets first dibs?

If so, shameful!

J
Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Wink

J,

You got it in one...........
Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
I was nodding my head all throughout your exchange with john -- thinking what a wise fellow he was and all that, despite the "spelling errors" and the steering wheel on the wrong side -- when I suddenly realised that apparently the UK has 13 month years! Please explain!

BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
I was nodding my head all throughout your exchange with john -- thinking what a wise fellow he was and all that, despite the "spelling errors" and the steering wheel on the wrong side -- when I suddenly realised that apparently the UK has 13 month years! Please explain!

But surely LCM, everyone knows that we get more time at this side of the pond due to the earths rotation and all. Anyway, at least we can spell tyre correctly........lol
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Oops

4 Seasons in one day?

:-/

Guess who feels like a muppet (clue - me)

;-)