Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix MSport
550i Car Wash Damage

Has anyone else experienced similar damage in a car wash (see pics)? This wasn't a Mobil gas station or anything, more of an upscale yet mechanical car wash. What seems to have happened was the vertical bars that come across pulled out the beginning points of the back panel about two inches.

If you have had this happen to you, please share your experience and what the fix was. How good of a fix was it. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	292115  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
Sorry to see that happen to your car. Personally I would never run my car through a car wash. Personally hand wash it. Hopefully you get it rectified easily. Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
A automated car wash is about the same as throwing your silk Valentino ties into the washing machine. It will come out clean, but clean and fooked. AVoid all car washes like the plague and learn how to hand wash the car yourself, it's cost effective and like the old saying goes, if you want something done right...
Old 09-08-2011, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpark01 View Post
a automated car wash is about the same as throwing your silk valentino ties into the washing machine. It will come out clean, but clean and fooked. Avoid all car washes like the plague and learn how to hand wash the car yourself, it's cost effective and like the old saying goes, if you want something done right...
+1
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Automatic car washes can be brutal, especially with high end cars that use a lot of light weight metals and composite panels. Hand washing is best. Second best would be the high pressure hose- self-wash centers. Many have heating elements in the bays for the colder months.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
A automated car wash is about the same as throwing your silk Valentino ties into the washing machine. It will come out clean, but clean and fooked. AVoid all car washes like the plague and learn how to hand wash the car yourself, it's cost effective and like the old saying goes, if you want something done right...
Not when its a "touchless" car wash, heard of those? I use that all the time, a few bucks and my X5 is spanking new, no scratches or damages whatsoever.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Hate to say it, but it is pretty stupid to take a $80k car through a machine car wash. There are plenty of hand washes and mobile detailers you can go to if you don't want to wash it yourself.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Not when its a "touchless" car wash, heard of those? I use that all the time, a few bucks and my X5 is spanking new, no scratches or damages whatsoever.
touchless car washes are less worse than other methods but I would still go to a hand wash facility before a touch-less one. How do you think they remove all that dirt,road grime and grease off you car without touching it? With harsh chemicals and water pressure, so the idea that the car isn't being touched is a bit of a misnomer. They are usually fine if you are diligent about keeping the car waxed.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyjmf05 View Post
Has anyone else experienced similar damage in a car wash (see pics)? This wasn't a Mobil gas station or anything, more of an upscale yet mechanical car wash. What seems to have happened was the vertical bars that come across pulled out the beginning points of the back panel about two inches.

If you have had this happen to you, please share your experience and what the fix was. How good of a fix was it. Thanks.
The Mobil gas station car wash would've been a safer choice. They have these laser guided touchless car washes. Touchless as in nothing touches the paint except for water, soap and air. No brushes. It doesn't wash the car completely clean but it's a good alternative for when you don't have time to hand wash yourself. It's good at removing the salt during the winter time.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:

Lots of comments here but no answer yet for the OP. if I knew how to repair I would let you know. Some good repair shops will give you free advice - they typically don't want very small jobs like yours. Find a couple of decent shops and get their advice.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperacfo View Post
The Mobil gas station car wash would've been a safer choice. They have these laser guided touchless car washes. Touchless as in nothing touches the paint except for water, soap and air. No brushes. It doesn't wash the car completely clean but it's a good alternative for when you don't have time to hand wash yourself. It's good at removing the salt during the winter time.
I know someone whose car was damaged by a laser guided touch less wash. The spray arm hit the car.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Who in the world would want to own a car that had to be washed by hand? The necktie analogy is completely off base. Washing your car in your driveway pollutes surface and groundwater and loads storm sewers with chemicals and pollution. It's against the law in enlightened countries. I'd have no interest in a car that couldn't come through a car wash undamaged. Mine goes through the mechanical wash once a week or so.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Who in the world would want to own a car that had to be washed by hand? The necktie analogy is completely off base. Washing your car in your driveway pollutes surface and groundwater and loads storm sewers with chemicals and pollution. It's against the law in enlightened countries. I'd have no interest in a car that couldn't come through a car wash undamaged. Mine goes through the mechanical wash once a week or so.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Quote:

My van had a similar issue, it was just a simple push to align it again. However, after that incident, decided to just use the 'touchless' car wash in our area for the same price.

Recommend you go to a neighborhood body shop and ask around, might be a simple job for them. Or, take it to the dealer to have them scope it out.

Hopefully you can get it fixed.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Quote:
Sounds like you should drive a Prius
Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i convertible
Find the plastic push pin connector and pull it out. Check for no water or it'll push out the other side when you line it up and then push the pin in.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Quote:
seriously, who spends 3-4 hrs hand washing their 60k car? i dont got the time for that!

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
The Driver

Quote:
seriously, who spends 3-4 hrs hand washing their 60k car? i dont got the time for that!
I have a guy who hand washes my car every Friday morning at my office. Mobile hand wash guys do the best work. Get a monthly plan and it can be reasonable too.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
3-4 hours - what the heck are you doing? In that time, I could vaccum the interior, clean the interior, wash the car, dry the car, clay it and wax it. Personal preference may vary but I would rather spend an hour and a bit twice a month to wash my car rather than to have swirls galore.

BMW CCA Member
Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I have a guy who hand washes my car every Friday morning at my office. Mobile hand wash guys do the best work. Get a monthly plan and it can be reasonable too.
+1 Even with "touchless" washes, if the guys are using cheap and/or dirty towels, you are going to get swirls and scratches. There is a hand-wash establishment near my house, and it specializes in hand-washing and detailing high-end cars. I used to enjoy washing my cars in my younger days, but a bad back put an end to that.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Sometimes you are in a bind, away from home, and have to go with what's available. If you saw the car wash's clientele that day and had the personal recommendation from the owner of an even higher-end vehicle like I had, I am certain you would have gone into the experience like I did, expecting a quality outcome.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Hate to say it, but it is pretty stupid to take a $80k car through a machine car wash. There are plenty of hand washes and mobile detailers you can go to if you don't want to wash it yourself.
It's pretty stupid to call my vehicle an $80K car. Either you don't know the market well or got royally skrewed on price with a similar configuration.

You won the award for least helpful post. Congratulations.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbod View Post
Find the plastic push pin connector and pull it out. Check for no water or it'll push out the other side when you line it up and then push the pin in.
tbod - Thanks for the reply. To clarify, are you saying that on the inside of the panel are push pin connectors and it may be jammed/clogged. And therefore, I can de-clog the connector and push the tip of the panel back in? Does it snap back in? Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pera View Post
My van had a similar issue, it was just a simple push to align it again. However, after that incident, decided to just use the 'touchless' car wash in our area for the same price.

Recommend you go to a neighborhood body shop and ask around, might be a simple job for them. Or, take it to the dealer to have them scope it out.

Hopefully you can get it fixed.
Yeah, went to a couple dealers and body shops are recommending a full bumper replacement. Seems like a lot, but I understand that similar issues have occurred and nothing can be done. Still looking around, but of course like you have started a personal boycott of mechanical car washes.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: 535 F10 M Sport
Quote:
lol

Last edited by Smedley Butler; 09-28-2011 at 12:40 PM.