Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i msport/xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I only have Stage 1 so far, so I can't speak from experience on Stage 2 yet. With Stage 1, Dinan really didn't do much of anything to modify the low rpm characteristics of the motor, so the plodding through stop-n-go traffic feels no different from stock. When you are above 3000rpm the motor feels completely different and the power is amazing. I'm unaware of any hesitation other than the auto tranny adapting to the lazy driving style of everyday traffic. I manually shift to a desired rpm before passing the 3 cars and the semi they are driving behind on a two lane road.

Also, BMW will probably find that you have a Dinan tune, and if they don't they are just as likely to overwrite it during a service visit, so you might be wasting your money on an extended warranty from BMW. A third party may not care, but BMW will void your engine warranty if they know about a Dinan tune. This is why Dinan has their own warranty.
I'm confused. What do you mean "BMW will find out...". My BMW dealer is authorized to do the Dinan flash. Dealers can now do it remotely instead of having to ship the ECU to California. Dinan mirrors the BMW warranty.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by massyman View Post
How does this warranty thing work on a leased car? I'm so confused..
It just works. My 550 is leased. The dealership were the ones that contacted me about the Dinan Stg 1 flash a year ago. And again last week for Stage 2.

Dinan has a warranty and most BMW dealerships make good cash flashing your car (at least the ones that are authorized Dinan distributors)

Call your dealer and inquire (ask for service dept)
Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanjack View Post
I'm confused. What do you mean "BMW will find out...". My BMW dealer is authorized to do the Dinan flash. Dealers can now do it remotely instead of having to ship the ECU to California. Dinan mirrors the BMW warranty.
Dinan and BMW do not have an official association. Your BMW dealer intalls Dinan and sell other products that are not official BMW products. As part of their marketing strategy, Dinan focused on BMW dealerships to sell their products. After the Dinan install, your dealer may inform BMW that this reprogram has been completed and it will void your warranty on any part that would be affected by the additional power. Dinan has the cost of their warranty coverage built into their pricing, that's why a Dinan tune costs $3,000 whereas others may only cost $600. There have been claims of warranty issues where both BMW and Dinan claimed it was the other company's responsibility. My original dealership claimed they dropped Dinan over warranty issues. Since I bought my car with additional power in mind, I just went to another dealer to get Dinan installed. I will have my car serviced at this Dinan dealership from this point forward.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Fplanner2000

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Mpkge,etc; RRv
Wow - thanks for the input! This seems to be a bit of a gray area with my dealer as well - although they do the Dinan upgrade and say my BMW warranty is still good, I can see if an engine component were to go south, there could easily be a pissing contest.

I am planning to keep my car for years and get the extended warranty - to me I think it makes sense to just wait a bit and see if there is any more clarification on this issue.
These cars are pretty expensive to fix and I like the protection of BMW's warranty while I own the car.

I was told by some people who actually know Mr. Dinan that BMW tried to buy his company several years ago and he almost sold it, but changed his mind at the last minute. I can see where that might have caused some friction with BMW......
Old 09-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
My son has the Dinan stage 2 upgrade on his 2009 135i convertable that was installed by a BMW dealership.

Their is a Dinan sticker in the engine bay that states call Dinan before doing any upgrades on the ECU.

My son feels he has both a BMW and a Dinan warranty.

This link is an informative read.

http://www.trdsparks.com/warrant_aft..._products.html

Video Tour of Dinan's Facility by Steve Dinan. Thanks to *tim 330i* for posting this link.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=534596
Old 09-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Dinan and BMW do not have an official association. Your BMW dealer intalls Dinan and sell other products that are not official BMW products. As part of their marketing strategy, Dinan focused on BMW dealerships to sell their products. After the Dinan install, your dealer may inform BMW that this reprogram has been completed and it will void your warranty on any part that would be affected by the additional power. Dinan has the cost of their warranty coverage built into their pricing, that's why a Dinan tune costs $3,000 whereas others may only cost $600. There have been claims of warranty issues where both BMW and Dinan claimed it was the other company's responsibility. My original dealership claimed they dropped Dinan over warranty issues. Since I bought my car with additional power in mind, I just went to another dealer to get Dinan installed. I will have my car serviced at this Dinan dealership from this point forward.
BMW of silver spring???
Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
For $500 more, you get 6 more hp & 7 more ftlb tq .... what kind of fool will pay for that ?

Lol!! I did the remaping and redistribution of the torque anr hp is what stage 2 is all about it fixes the glich in which 1st and 2nd gear had some torque ant turbo limitations and now they are completely unleashed
Old 09-11-2011, 05:34 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
BMW of silver spring???
You are correct!

Old 09-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Dunderhi - which dealership are you using Passport?

BMW CCA Member
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
Dunderhi - which dealership are you using Passport?
I bought my car at Passport and they had discontinued Dinan, so I went to Tischer (Silver Spring) to get the Dinan upgrade. Tischer is where I'll get my car serviced from this pont forward. I had my Audi and Mercedes serviced by that chain (right next door), so they aren't bad service-wise other than the Enterprise Rental car they give you.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
I bought my car at Passport and they had discontinued Dinan, so I went to Tischer (Silver Spring) to get the Dinan upgrade. Tischer is where I'll get my car serviced from this pont forward. I had my Audi and Mercedes serviced by that chain (right next door), so they aren't bad service-wise other than the Enterprise Rental car they give you.
I am glad to hear that - as long as they give you rental car. I am looking to switch my service department as well I get a new service advisor just about every 9 months! and the current one is arrogant.

BMW CCA Member
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: v8 tt
That's part of my point, why would anyone have to pay such amount to fix this software remap ? The bottom line is if you are happy, then that's what matter at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2patron View Post
Lol!! I did the remaping and redistribution of the torque anr hp is what stage 2 is all about it fixes the glich in which 1st and 2nd gear had some torque ant turbo limitations and now they are completely unleashed

Last edited by bobblehead; 09-12-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
That's part of my point, why would anyone have to pay such amount to fix this software remap ? The bottom line is if you are happy, then that's what matter at the end.
the price is the price. i'm going to pay it. others will as well. who cares?

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
You are correct!
How do you like their service department?

I've got a person at VOB I like (but they kinda screwed me already, some of it my fault, and nothing a Sales Rep can do), and I'm working with someone at Passport. I'm much closer to VOB and hate HATE hate! driving out to either Passport or Silver Spring, but would do it if need be.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i msport/xdrive
Quote:
Thanks...I had the Dinan flash done on my2010 535 msport and I have a year to go on my lease...I love my car and have been dealing with my dealer for over 20 years and I have no worries if I need warranty work....I can't wait to get the 550 with the flash when my lease comes due..the increase in horsepower will be awesome!!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
How do you like their service department?

I've got a person at VOB I like (but they kinda screwed me already, some of it my fault, and nothing a Sales Rep can do), and I'm working with someone at Passport. I'm much closer to VOB and hate HATE hate! driving out to either Passport or Silver Spring, but would do it if need be.
My car has been problem free, so far the only service I have received from Tischer is the Dinan reprogam. Their sister Audi dealer which used to share their driveway was always very busy, but they got my car serviced quickly often while I waited. Two doors down was their sister MB shop, who really treated their customers very well. If there was an issue such as they finished the car late, or even if they needed the car an extra day, the bill would be discounted for my inconvenience. This was already on top of the usual 20% coupon I would normally download off their website.

I've never had service at Passport, but it was definitely an fancier building than Tischer. Last I was there, Tischer was still rennovating their facility, so it might look fairly sharp by now.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Despite my disagreement with this being labeled a Stage 2 flash and Dinan charging more for it, I got the new software installed Saturday. It bothered me too much to know there was a fix for 2 complaints I had about the original version (throttle response could be improved and power delivery was not linear) to not get it done.

This version definitely fixes both of those issues. Throttle response is MUCH better, which makes the car feel more responsive. In addition the power delivery has been brought in and smoothed out over the RPM band. Previously it felt like there was a dead spot before you hit 3k RPM, then it kicked you in the a$$. With this update that feeling is gone and the power is there almost immediately. These fixes make the car more lively (and easier to drive with 6MT...) The power still tapers off pretty quickly above 5.5k RPM, I'm guessing that won't be changed until they come out with some bolt ons that can improve VE at those RPM.

Stage 1 is really useless now - I would not recommend it to anyone.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 AM

I got the stage 2 upgrade last week from Center BMW. They are new to Dinan and it took two trips and almost 3 hours to do what should only take an hour. They gave me an extra 5% off (wow $25) and didn't charge for the labor. Out the door for $400 plus tax. At least now I can get the car serviced at a dealer that does Dinan which was always a concern of mine.

I agree with the above post. It is much smoother, there is more power in the lower RPM range and it is more responsive. This really should have been in stage 1. Kinda of feel like I was a beta tester.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM

agree with the above, if you have stage 1, you might as well pony up for stage2. now, to be clear, i LOVED the upgrade but was very aware of that lack of real oomph until 3500. was the main reason why i was in Sport mode (gear selector to the left) for most of the time. in short, though massive when it kicked in, the engine felt "lazier" than it does now. after stage 2, the Power (capital P intended) is much more linear. sometimes scary. i'm looking forward to hardware updates now. yes, i guess i'm working to the Dinan badge.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
Thoughts on the Black Grill upgrade? Gaudy or Great?
Old 09-19-2011, 10:39 AM

So if you had to guess with stage 2 are the 550s pushing almost sub 4 seconds? (0-60 that is )
Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So if you had to guess with stage 2 are the 550s pushing almost sub 4 seconds? (0-60 that is )
i havent timed it. but if the stock has been timed at 4.6 or so, it has to be damn close. it's violent. 0-60 is all well and good, but for the real work, 30-75 is much more prevelent and just plain amazing

Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
FWIW I just tried 0-60 using the dynomaster app for the Android. Unfortunately got stuck behind a trash truck when accelerating on to the freeway. On the way back home I tried it on a fairly wide commercial street and got it up to 51 mph before I had to slow down. The time was 3.287. I lost traction off the line and between 1st and 2nd with the the crappy run flats. The temp was 95 with humidity in the low 20s. Definitely going to change the tires in the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
So, tried two runs on the way to work this morning using the Dynomaster andriod app. For some reason it did not log 0-60 times. 1/8 mile times were 7.04 sec/88.36mph on the first run and 6.88 sec/86.91 on the second run. Did not push the 1/4 mile since there was traffic. Not sure how accurate this app is as this seems very fast to me. I would think it's not very accurate, but without an official timing system, can't see any other way to validate. My guess is the car is getting to 60 in the low 4's. Will work some more on the app and see if I can come up with something consistent, assuming I don't get too many tickets....lol.

Last edited by kman_bmw; 09-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50 stg2, clk55k, ml63
BMW Newb here so bear with. Just picked up a 2011 550i 6spd this weekend.

Has anyone installed the Dinan St1 or St2 in a 6 spd car yet?

Just curious about the clutch life and driving impressions with the added hp/tq. I understand bmw puts in a clutch hyd orifice valve which all but elmin's your ability to dump the clutch causing premature clutch wear and jerky shifts. My car does shift a bit odd... but getting used to it. Not sure if the dinan st1 or st2 would compound the issue. THX>

Also hard as I try with google...... I can not find any independent 1/4 mile times/traps for this car 550i auto or 550i stick. Do 550i drivers shy away from the drag races? I'm hoping the 13.3-13.1 mag tests are conservative..... also curious what D/R's do for getting us into the mid-high 12's stock.

BTW - my daily driver is a heavily tweeked clk55 (w/blower), and the 550i was the result of trading in the wifes daily an 09c63 w/pp. that c63 was fast in a straight line but rode like a lumber wagon. As this is our 1st bmw product... I'm am getting the bimmer bug quick. Wow the fit/finish/ride/driver feel is addictive even in this family sedan.

CHeers,
Jeff

Last edited by betrezra; 09-28-2011 at 07:18 AM.