Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 10-30-2011, 04:32 PM
brandonwals79 brandonwals79 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 550i w/ Dinan Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8_24/7 View Post
I am finally taking the plunge. I set up an appointment to get the Dinan Stage 2 installed this coming Monday. Since I passed on the Dinan Stage 1, I will be going from stock to Stage 2. Can't wait to feel the difference in performance with the Stage 2. Since I had the 535 Sport Wheels installed on my 550, it is going to be a true sleeper.
Wow, you will be so amazed. It's quite the difference and stage 2 really gets you off the line. Stage 1 is average for the money, stage 2 makes it all worth it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	299179  
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,731
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I know it's been a few weeks since I upgraded to Stage 2, but I finally did some accelerations from a stand-still tonight. I knew the Stage 2 was awesome from a roll, but what about from a stand-still?

First test, the car was in Sport Mode (suspension only) and I nailed it. Mrs. Dunderhi and I came to the same conclusion - it felt like Stage 1. Rolled of the line okay, but when it hit third gear it started pulling stronger. I was like S.. O. a B...., I don't think the dealer actually did the installl.

So as not to let stupidity ruin my night, I decided I would try it again with traction control disabled. Well, this time around the car accelerated so hard I hurt my neck, S.. O. a B....

The Mrs Dunderhi quote of the night: I think my brain smacked the back of my skull.

BTW,
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 PM
BZATWORK's Avatar
BZATWORK BZATWORK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Out West
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
Not to rain on your brain haring experience: but I get the same super experience whether in traction control mode or not.
__________________
2011 550i Xdrive Dinan Stages 1 and 2 - oh yeah!
2009 X5 3.0 - adios
2007 X5 3.0 - buh-bye
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,731
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Hmm, one of these things is not like the other.

I'll take few more pulls tomorrow night to see if it was operator error or not. I'll just make sure my head is firmly against the headrest.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Calgary Agent Calgary Agent is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I'll take few more pulls tomorrow night to see if it was operator error or not. I'll just make sure my head is firmly against the headrest.
If you have an iphone or ipad, download DYNOLICIOUS app prior to your run(s)

http://dynolicious.com/
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 PM
kman_bmw kman_bmw is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
I agree, mine seems to be the same with or without traction control on. I will say though, that all four tires will break loose if the pavement is not hot. Anyway, I've tried those dyno apps on my droid with no real luck. Part of the problem is getting to the quarter mile. The car is so fast it's well over 100 and climbing rapidly. Hard to measure and keep track of the road at the same time. Hopefully I will get to the track this weekend and can post some real trap numbers for everyone. One thing for sure, the car is bad _ss. No doubt about it.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM
BZATWORK's Avatar
BZATWORK BZATWORK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Out West
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman_bmw View Post
I agree, mine seems to be the same with or without traction control on. I will say though, that all four tires will break loose if the pavement is not hot. Anyway, I've tried those dyno apps on my droid with no real luck. Part of the problem is getting to the quarter mile. The car is so fast it's well over 100 and climbing rapidly. Hard to measure and keep track of the road at the same time. Hopefully I will get to the track this weekend and can post some real trap numbers for everyone. One thing for sure, the car is bad _ss. No doubt about it.
Does your engine tick sometimes?
__________________
2011 550i Xdrive Dinan Stages 1 and 2 - oh yeah!
2009 X5 3.0 - adios
2007 X5 3.0 - buh-bye
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 PM
kman_bmw kman_bmw is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZATWORK View Post
Does your engine tick sometimes?
Yes, but it did do that before the stage 2. The one thing I've noticed that has changed, other than the serious acceleration, is a slightly rougher feel to the car. Hard to explain, but the engine to me just seems to be less smooth and I can feel it through the chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,731
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman_bmw View Post
I agree, mine seems to be the same with or without traction control on. I will say though, that all four tires will break loose if the pavement is not hot. Anyway, I've tried those dyno apps on my droid with no real luck. Part of the problem is getting to the quarter mile. The car is so fast it's well over 100 and climbing rapidly. Hard to measure and keep track of the road at the same time. Hopefully I will get to the track this weekend and can post some real trap numbers for everyone. One thing for sure, the car is bad _ss. No doubt about it.
Are you breaking all four tires loose with traction control on? Are you power braking or just stomping on the gas? What tires do you have?

Also, did you get any 0-60mph times with your dyno apps?
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 10-31-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM
kman_bmw kman_bmw is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Are you breaking all four tires loose with traction control on? Are you power braking or just stomping on the gas? What tires do you have?

Also, did you get any 0-60mph times with your dyno apps?
Traction control off, no power breaking, just stomping on it. Breaks loose about 5-7 mph or about 3100 rpm. I have changed my wheels to 20" and have Conti's Extreme Contact DWS on the 20's.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
kman_bmw kman_bmw is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
Sorry, forgot about the 0-60 times. Yes I did, but they did not seem accurate. Generally in the 3.8 to 3.9 time frame. This seems too fast to me so I discounted the times. I'm using the Dynomaster app for android. Anyway, I think the car is probably running about 4.3 to 4.4 zero to sixty.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
BZATWORK's Avatar
BZATWORK BZATWORK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Out West
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman_bmw View Post
Yes, but it did do that before the stage 2. The one thing I've noticed that has changed, other than the serious acceleration, is a slightly rougher feel to the car. Hard to explain, but the engine to me just seems to be less smooth and I can feel it through the chassis.
Mine ticked before Stage 2 too. I guess that's just a thing with the V8. Did you get caught up in the recall? Mine was made after the recall date.
__________________
2011 550i Xdrive Dinan Stages 1 and 2 - oh yeah!
2009 X5 3.0 - adios
2007 X5 3.0 - buh-bye
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 PM
kman_bmw kman_bmw is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZATWORK View Post
Mine ticked before Stage 2 too. I guess that's just a thing with the V8. Did you get caught up in the recall? Mine was made after the recall date.
Mine was built in March of 2010. I think the recall affects mine but have not heard from the dealer yet. Have not had any problems either and I have around 8K on the car.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
BZATWORK's Avatar
BZATWORK BZATWORK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Out West
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
According to my notes, it's March 2010 - Oct. 2010 that's impacted for 550. Mine was made in Feb. 2011. Whew! I'm sorry, but it sounds like yours is caught up in it. Call 1-800-525-7417 tomorrow - the official recall starts tomorrow.
__________________
2011 550i Xdrive Dinan Stages 1 and 2 - oh yeah!
2009 X5 3.0 - adios
2007 X5 3.0 - buh-bye
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 10-31-2011, 09:12 PM
kman_bmw kman_bmw is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZATWORK View Post
According to my notes, it's March 2010 - Oct. 2010 that's impacted for 550. Mine was made in Feb. 2011. Whew! I'm sorry, but it sounds like yours is caught up in it. Call 1-800-525-7417 tomorrow - the official recall starts tomorrow.
Oops, mine was built in March 2011. I've had it for a little over 6 months. Maybe I'm safe!
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,731
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman_bmw View Post
Traction control off, no power breaking, just stomping on it. Breaks loose about 5-7 mph or about 3100 rpm. I have changed my wheels to 20" and have Conti's Extreme Contact DWS on the 20's.
Not spinning from a stand still? That is interesting with respect to the power delivery. At 3100 rpm you should be going 16mph, so your tires are spinning at better than 2-3 times relative to the vehicle speed. I'm riding on 19" Michelin PSS and have zero slippage. I'll be putting on my Michelin Alpins in a week or two, so I'll see if less grippy tires make any difference. If not, you're definitely producing more power than me.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,731
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman_bmw View Post
Sorry, forgot about the 0-60 times. Yes I did, but they did not seem accurate. Generally in the 3.8 to 3.9 time frame. This seems too fast to me so I discounted the times. I'm using the Dynomaster app for android. Anyway, I think the car is probably running about 4.3 to 4.4 zero to sixty.
Based on the Dinan power/torque increase, online calculators put our cars around 4 secs. I'll be interested in seeing your trap times.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 PM
texasheat78 texasheat78 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Xdrive
Set my appointment

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board and own an Alpine white 2011 550i Xdrive BMW. Don't have the M-Sport package unfortunately

After hearing about the upgrade and reading you guys I've decided to hell with my warranty. I'm going to get the Dinan S2 upgrade for my 550i xdrive. My appointment is for Wednesday at 8:30am central standard time.

Needless to say I can't wait.

Really like my car but I feel pretty disrespected on the road. I've been challenged by people in the new Prius for example. So far I'm undefeated at the light but haven't really gone up against anything too impressive. I can say that I made a poor guy want to return is new Camero though...

Anyway, the 550ix is fast already.. can't wait to see it flashed and let you know the results.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,731
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I did two more runs tonight to see if traction control made a difference and the answer appears to be no. The car just seems to be a bit inconsistent at launch or maybe it's operator error.

Here's the summary:

Last night
Run 1: Sport+ mode - Launch was soft, 2nd gear felt soft, 3rd gear pulled hard
Run 2: Normal & DSC off - pull like a beast from the start, shifted hard each time

Tonight
Run 1: Normal & DSC off and shifted into M1 - Launch was soft, 2nd gear felt soft, 3rd gear pulled hard
Run 2: Sport+ mode and shifted into M1 - Launch was soft, 2nd and 3rd pulled hard

I did use a Droid app for timing tonight: Run 1 was 4.6 seconds and Run 2 was just under 4.0 seconds. The Run 2 from last night felt the fastest, but I didn't have any timing setup. I did not have any tire slippage in any of the runs, so could the Michelin PSS be providing sufficient traction to prevent slippage even with all of this torque? Maybe I'm imagining the start is slower than actual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0-60-small.jpeg
Views:	944
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	299415  
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
You have a lot of traction given the AWD and the Sticky Pilots. You're bogging on launch because of it.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
fplanner2000 fplanner2000 is offline
Fplanner2000
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 183
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Mpkge,etc; RRv
I wonder if maybe a call to Dinan explaining your 2 nite experiment might shed some light on how to best utilize the Stage 2 benefits over Stage 1? I haven't done either yet and now not so sure about which, if any, makes the most sense. There have been many opinions to just get Stage 2 from people who have apparently done just that. However dunderhi seems to be having problems getting a consistent "wow" from the first 2 gears - I wonder how many other have the same or similar issues and what the "fix" is, if any. Again, it might be nice for Dinan to weigh in here, if they do such things.......
__________________
_________________________________________________
550ix, Dark Graphite Metallic II, M-package, Dinan Stage 2, 20" wheels, conven pkge, cold weather pkge, Prem Pkge 2, Paddle Shifters, vent seat pkge, sport transm pkge, fold-dn rear seat, etc. Black Dakota Leather, Light Wood trim
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
texasheat78 texasheat78 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Xdrive
I'm not sure if its the Dinan upgrade at all. I don't have any upgrade yet but sometimes first gear doesn't consistently give me that kick from the line. When that happens the engine revs a lot but something just doesn't catch which is annoying.

I'm upgrading tomorrow morning and can't wait to get into the 500hp club. The M5 numbers are amazing. 0-60 in 3.7s so with a little less horsepower but a little more torque with Dinan S2 I don't see why you would doubt your 3.9s time.

Is there any app like that for the I-phone?
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,019
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I did two more runs tonight to see if traction control made a difference and the answer appears to be no. The car just seems to be a bit inconsistent at launch or maybe it's operator error.

Here's the summary:

Last night
Run 1: Sport+ mode - Launch was soft, 2nd gear felt soft, 3rd gear pulled hard
Run 2: Normal & DSC off - pull like a beast from the start, shifted hard each time

Tonight
Run 1: Normal & DSC off and shifted into M1 - Launch was soft, 2nd gear felt soft, 3rd gear pulled hard
Run 2: Sport+ mode and shifted into M1 - Launch was soft, 2nd and 3rd pulled hard

I did use a Droid app for timing tonight: Run 1 was 4.6 seconds and Run 2 was just under 4.0 seconds. The Run 2 from last night felt the fastest, but I didn't have any timing setup. I did not have any tire slippage in any of the runs, so could the Michelin PSS be providing sufficient traction to prevent slippage even with all of this torque? Maybe I'm imagining the start is slower than actual.
Those numbers look great and quite realistic. The added traction of the x-drive probably help a lot. I bet for the M5 to get the low numbers there was a bit of wheel spin, too.
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 11-02-2011, 03:21 PM
texasheat78 texasheat78 is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Xdrive
Dinan tune overrated?

Got the tune today. On the way back home I can't really say that I've noticed too much of a difference. I can feel more of a kick in second I suppose. Overall I am feeling a little bit of disappointment.

I have 72 hours to get a refund and I'm strongly going to consider it getting my $3600 back.

Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
BZATWORK's Avatar
BZATWORK BZATWORK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Out West
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
Something is strange. I felt it immediately. Did you get stage 2 or 1? 1 kinda sucked. 2 is near perfect. It's quite a boost. If there's another Dinan shop around you, I'd take it in to reconfirm.
__________________
2011 550i Xdrive Dinan Stages 1 and 2 - oh yeah!
2009 X5 3.0 - adios
2007 X5 3.0 - buh-bye
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms