Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
The 0-60mph in 4 seconds definitely isn't the problem. It's the inconsistency in the launch that I haven't been able to figure out. I guess like Needsdecaf said, my tires might be bogging me down (every so slightly) at the start, but the power is still getting me to speed very very quickly. I think I'll try power braking next time around to build up some RPMs before launch.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 11-02-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Xdrive
My car feels like a bully with roid rage now

Upon further driving I have to take back everything I said in my last post. The difference is substantial. I'd even say that now my car goes from 0 to 80 faster than it went 0 to 60 before the upgrade. I no longer have to floor the pedal to feel like I'm riding a tsunami.

Definitely 100% satisfied.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasheat78 View Post
Upon further driving I have to take back everything I said in my last post. The difference is substantial. I'd even say that now my car goes from 0 to 80 faster than it went 0 to 60 before the upgrade. I no longer have to floor the pedal to feel like I'm riding a tsunami.

Good to hear!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
Quote:

Awesome!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
So, took the beast to the track tonight. BTW, earlier in the day I checked again to see if the car actually breaks the tires loose, and with traction control off, it still slips all four wheels in 1st gear. No huge squealing or smoke, but it can definitely be felt. Also, for testing purposes and to prepare myself for the track, I tried power breaking, but only with traction control on. End result...car limps on the way out and does not really speed up until about 3400 rpm, at which time it screams. I did not try it with traction control off. Will try that some other time, long story on why but at least I didn't get a ticket...:-)

Anyway, went to the track for the first time and unfortunately, I did not do the research I should have done and was completely unprepared. I was at the line before I knew it and did not properly set the car up, get the video camera ready, or get my phone app set up. The slip attached (I'm on the right, had an older Mustang on the left) was driven in comfort mode (I know....) and I have no doubt that it would move out quicker in sport with traction control off, but I didn't get the chance to try it. The track here has a very strict rule about having a helmet if you run a time below 13.99. Well even though the run sucked, it still was under that time, so they wouldn't let me make more runs without a helmet, of course I didn't have one. Maybe I'll go get a cheap one so I can do some more testing. Kind of ironic though, I've driven this car for hundreds of miles in Germany at speeds well over 140 and didn't need a helmet....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drag Trip.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	299861  
Old 11-04-2011, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
On our track here (Mosport) helmet is optional. I did not end up taking my car there. Glad I didn't (the tires and brakes would get a serious beating, so would the engine). The one straight is only about 1km long which essentially means your need to brake hard right as soon as you hit ~125mph. I was looking more for sheer speed, not so much turns and braking.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:24 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman_bmw View Post
So, took the beast to the track tonight. BTW, earlier in the day I checked again to see if the car actually breaks the tires loose, and with traction control off, it still slips all four wheels in 1st gear. No huge squealing or smoke, but it can definitely be felt. Also, for testing purposes and to prepare myself for the track, I tried power breaking, but only with traction control on. End result...car limps on the way out and does not really speed up until about 3400 rpm, at which time it screams. I did not try it with traction control off. Will try that some other time, long story on why but at least I didn't get a ticket...:-)

Anyway, went to the track for the first time and unfortunately, I did not do the research I should have done and was completely unprepared. I was at the line before I knew it and did not properly set the car up, get the video camera ready, or get my phone app set up. The slip attached (I'm on the right, had an older Mustang on the left) was driven in comfort mode (I know....) and I have no doubt that it would move out quicker in sport with traction control off, but I didn't get the chance to try it. The track here has a very strict rule about having a helmet if you run a time below 13.99. Well even though the run sucked, it still was under that time, so they wouldn't let me make more runs without a helmet, of course I didn't have one. Maybe I'll go get a cheap one so I can do some more testing. Kind of ironic though, I've driven this car for hundreds of miles in Germany at speeds well over 140 and didn't need a helmet....
Nice. It's cool to see people getting these cars out on the track. I went a couple weeks back.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...uns-12.9-112.9
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:

Bummer about the helmet. The track I went to last night had a handful of rental helmets in the tower. Anyway, I had virtually no performance difference no matter what mode the car was driven. With DSC completely disabled, I realized I really need to get moving on getting stiffer springs.

Over the course of 13 hard runs, I detected slippage (a slight chip) only twice, but the MIchelin PSS are designed for traction.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Looks like the different runs with the 550i Dinan Stage 2 are all relatively close. What I'm not tracking is that I've seen stock speed claims that are the same as these runs, at least that is what a lot of reviews are touting.

AUTOWEEK: The BMW will hit 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, and the quarter-mile takes 12.8 seconds at 111 mph, so no one on staff is complaining about it being slow.

Hard to believe that is accurate with 400 hp in a car that weighs over 4400 lbs. I ran the numbers through a multitude of calculators and the best speed was around 106 mph stock. Most of the calculators have a 500hp car running around 111 mph. I might go get me a cheap helmet and try again to see if I can improve. It's only $20 to run all you want.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:46 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Looks like the different runs with the 550i Dinan Stage 2 are all relatively close. What I'm not tracking is that I've seen stock speed claims that are the same as these runs, at least that is what a lot of reviews are touting.

AUTOWEEK: The BMW will hit 60 mph in 4.5 seconds, and the quarter-mile takes 12.8 seconds at 111 mph, so no one on staff is complaining about it being slow.

Hard to believe that is accurate with 400 hp in a car that weighs over 4400 lbs. I ran the numbers through a multitude of calculators and the best speed was around 106 mph stock. Most of the calculators have a 500hp car running around 111 mph. I might go get me a cheap helmet and try again to see if I can improve. It's only $20 to run all you want.
In the hands of a professional driver, I can certainly believe Autoweek's results, but with Dinan I believe it could hit 60 mph in 3-9-4.0 seconds and the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 114 mph, or at least that's what an online calculator gave me if I replace my myself with my wife as the driver, drop the gas tank to 1/4 tank, and take the compressor and other junk out of the trunk.

As a side note, I believe our driveline losses are less than many historically based calculators use, I generally pick the DSG option to get better alignment.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Dinan Stage 2 - even at a high elevation is kicking more arse than just 4.5. I'm thinking it's right at 4 or just below.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

I just had a thought about magazine testing. They use high end GPS-based equipment like VBOX to measure from when the car starts moving (or from one a foot roll-out) and records when it reached certain speeds and distances. Looking at my drag strip times, they are measured from half a second after the light turns green until you reach the various measurement points. The drag strip records your your reaction time, which is from the start time (green light + 0.5sec) and when you exit the staging beam (0-18" rollout depending where you started in the staging beam.)

So my question is if a M5 can do a 12.0 second quarter mile using a VBOX for measurement, then how does a 12.6sec drag strip run with a .8 sec reaction time compare?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM

And now you've gone way too technical for my small brain to keep up. For me, it's 0-60 and 0-100. I don't care about rollout and reaction and VBOX or XBOX or PlayStation or whatever the heck you're tooting on about.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:45 PM

I did a little research on the reaction time and according to some of the professional web sites, the reaction time is not factored in the run times. They say you could sit there for 5 seconds after the light turns green and it would not make a difference other than your reaction time would be 5.0 sec. Apparently the timing starts after you cross the beam. The only time the reaction matters is when you are head to head and it's an elimination race. I will do some testing the next time since I have no idea if that is true or not. The other thing I have not been able to determine is if they use some type of speed measuring device to determine your max speed or if it is based upon time only. Anyone know?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZATWORK View Post
And now you've gone way too technical for my small brain to keep up. For me, it's 0-60 and 0-100. I don't care about rollout and reaction and VBOX or XBOX or PlayStation or whatever the heck you're tooting on about.
Yes, but those factors are important when it comes to how tests are done and reported. When you adjust for rollout, you typically gain between 1 and 3 tenths (inside line always reports both numbers). Car and Driver adjusts their results for weather (temp and humidity) but they neglect to tell you that. Other magazines brake torque autos, while Road and Track will not. Some will power shift a manual car (no lifting the throttle while clutching). In some Ferraris with F1 transmissions, there are launch modes - and then there are secret launch modes, involving an easter egg procedure of button presses designed to sacrifice tens of thousands of miles of clutch life in the name of providing 2-3 tenths lower launch for journo testing.

Standing start testing is HIGHLY suspect and should be treated with a very large grain of salt.

Honestly the Brits do it right. They measure in-gear acceleration over 10 MPH increments in every gear. THAT is the measure of power of a car. 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 mile are way, way too dependent on launch and not the car. For instance, try launching a 911 without active engine mounts and getting anywhere near close to the time of a magazine tester without some severe axle tramp. The first gen CTS-V had such bad rear axle tramp that it would almost snap the driveshafts off.

However, Car and Driver does publish a 5-60 MPH "street start" in which acceleration is measured by rolling along at 5 mph, clutch fully engaged or simply stomping on it in an auto. That gives a much better comparison of raw engine capability than 0-60. Their 30-50 and 50-70 top gear acceleration tests do as well, but are biased toward auto cars which can kick down upon flooring.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
The other thing I have not been able to determine is if they use some type of speed measuring device to determine your max speed or if it is based upon time only. Anyone know?
Trap speed on a dragstrip is based on a timing "trap", which is a set of beams just prior to the finish. The time needed to break the beams is measured, and since the distance is fixed, the "trap" speed is calculated.

That is why it is possible to run a slower quarter than another car, but record a higher trap speed. If you were driving an M5 in the quarter vs. a 535i and got off to a horrible start, the 535 could win. However, the trap speed of the 535 is going to be about 100 MPH at best, wheras even with a slow launch, the M5 will trap close to 120 (boogieing!)

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Thanks, makes sense, so I guess the 111 mph times for the three different 550i stage 2's are probably accurate. I wonder what a stock one would run. Had I thought about it, I would have taken mine before the tune.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
I did a little research on the reaction time and according to some of the professional web sites, the reaction time is not factored in the run times. They say you could sit there for 5 seconds after the light turns green and it would not make a difference other than your reaction time would be 5.0 sec. Apparently the timing starts after you cross the beam. The only time the reaction matters is when you are head to head and it's an elimination race. I will do some testing the next time since I have no idea if that is true or not. The other thing I have not been able to determine is if they use some type of speed measuring device to determine your max speed or if it is based upon time only. Anyone know?
Thanks. Since, I'm not actually racing, I'll try taking my time next time.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:26 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Thanks, makes sense, so I guess the 111 mph times for the three different 550i stage 2's are probably accurate. I wonder what a stock one would run. Had I thought about it, I would have taken mine before the tune.
It's probably accurate for us amateurs, but I still think a pro could make it scoot quicker.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i stage 2
Quote:

Tell me about The fitting of those 20'' wheels
Are those from the 7 series?
Y can pm me
Thanks
I just ordered 21 '' forged1 wheels and they should be ready this
Week, let's see how that works on the track
Just in case I don't want them I want to know about the 20''
Can u send a side pic?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 AM

Mein Auto: 550i w/ Dinan Stage 2
Quote:
Got the tune today. On the way back home I can't really say that I've noticed too much of a difference. I can feel more of a kick in second I suppose. Overall I am feeling a little bit of disappointment.

I have 72 hours to get a refund and I'm strongly going to consider it getting my $3600 back.

Stage 1 is noticable most in 3rd gear, but stage 2 is a beast in all gears. What did you get? If you paid $3600 you must have gotten s2 and labor on sale is suppose to be $3200 or so after labor... did they give you the 15% off?

Anyways, there is a substantial difference from stock to dinan S2, i just wish there was less traffic in san diego to run up on.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 AM

Mein Auto: 550i w/ Dinan Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwals79 View Post
Stage 1 is noticable most in 3rd gear, but stage 2 is a beast in all gears. What did you get? If you paid $3600 you must have gotten s2 and labor on sale is suppose to be $3200 or so after labor... did they give you the 15% off?

Anyways, there is a substantial difference from stock to dinan S2, i just wish there was less traffic in san diego to run up on.
Does anyone have a reccomendation for me to reduce loss of traction with Dinan S2 on the premium package wheels? I think they are 18s? Wider or just larger ? Can you widen just the back wheels? thanks

Old 11-24-2011, 06:40 AM

Chante The stock camber as it comes -1.5 degrees from the factory.
I did that yesterday and I can launch this car like a rocket
Here is the proof
And Michelin sport tires!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:43 AM

I think I nailed it down to about 4.3 sec
What do you guys think
Please time it from when the auto H light turns off until it hits 60 mph
Old 11-24-2011, 06:48 AM

I think I nailed it down to about 4.3 sec
What do you guys think