Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535I Xdrive
Nav Issue

I've searched through the various thread s for this issue w/no luck.

When in guidance on the nav system how can I display next couple of directions. For example, the map shows location & direction and the dashboard (center between speedometer & teach) shows the next turn/exit etc. But I'd like to know the next two or three turns/exits like I can do on my Garmin. There must be a way to display this.

Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Dan C.
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancam View Post
I've searched through the various thread s for this issue w/no luck.

When in guidance on the nav system how can I display next couple of directions. For example, the map shows location & direction and the dashboard (center between speedometer & teach) shows the next turn/exit etc. But I'd like to know the next two or three turns/exits like I can do on my Garmin. There must be a way to display this.

Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Dan C.
Try using the split screen, arrow display. It will show next turn......

2012 535i
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 08-12-2015, 05:46 PM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
I think the OP is asking how one might access a "list view." That is, a written list of the roads and turns that are coming up along the chosen route.

This is a common feature on most navigation systems, but I also have not been able to find it in the BMW navi menu - or any other menu.
2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, Harmon Kardon sound, fully coded by Octopump.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
I think the OP is asking how one might access a "list view." That is, a written list of the roads and turns that are coming up along the chosen route.

This is a common feature on most navigation systems, but I also have not been able to find it in the BMW navi menu - or any other menu.
Ohhhh......

That would be nice. My old Lincoln LS had a "preview" function where the vehicle icon would travel the whole route. Kinda nice......

2012 535i
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 08-12-2015, 07:14 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Push the iDrive controller to the left 2 times from the main Nav view, and select "Route Information". This will show the rest of the route and mileage for each segment. I don't think it shows the turn direction, but it will show you the route. I believe you can select a route segment and change it as well, but I have not done that.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 08-12-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-S
I just press the "NAV" hard button, scroll to bottom, and select "Route Information".

It's awkward but I've come to accept it.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528xi
I use one of my programmable memory buttons to bring up the turn by turn directions easily and quickly as I find them more helpful that relying on the map at times. I also use it to review a new route to get a specific idea of where it is taking me, among other things. Just looking at the map overview sometimes just isn't enough AFAIC.

Position your iDrive controller on the instruction/screen you want, press and hold your selected memory button.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I just press the "NAV" hard button, scroll to bottom, and select "Route Information".

It's awkward but I've come to accept it.
I find that the easiest way to do it is by voice command. While in guidance mode, just push the voice command button the steering wheel and say route information. After you are done, just say map.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I find that the easiest way to do it is by voice command. While in guidance mode, just push the voice command button the steering wheel and say route information. After you are done, just say map.
I have young kids so voice recognition works stellar when they're home but crappy when they're in the car...
Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 PM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Push the iDrive controller to the left 2 times from the main Nav view, and select "Route Information". This will show the rest of the route and mileage for each segment. I don't think it shows the turn direction, but it will show you the route. I believe you can select a route segment and change it as well, but I have not done that.
By god, you're right. I spent five days on the road this month not finding that menu option, but there it is. Thanks!
2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, Harmon Kardon sound, fully coded by Octopump.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package.