Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Petlover

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Oil Filter Housing Gasket Replacement

I was charged $330 labor for replacing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, part is only about $11.
Does it take 3 hours to complete the job?
Does anyone know how long it would take to replace the Gasket?

BMW Motor Oil 5w30 vs Castrol 5w30, are they the same or which one is better?

Thanks

Pet
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: Two E39 Sports + an '11X5
It takes some time to replace that part...here's a DIY showing the process.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414315

I've always used Synthetic Castrol....I believe they're the OEM for BMW oils.

'00 528 M-Sport
'01 530 M-Sport
'11 X5d
Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM
BMW Magician

Mein Auto: e30 M50ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petlover View Post
I was charged $330 labor for replacing the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, part is only about $11.

Thanks

Pet
"Time it takes" and billable "labor hours" are totally different things. It can be done in much less time by an experienced and well equipped technician, but that doesn't mean he should make less money for doing it. What you were charged is right in the middle labor wise. (depends which labor guide they are using)

I'll leave the oil topic be, save to say that it doesn't matter nearly so much what oil you run as it does how often you change it.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528iT sport
That seems like a fair price to me. Quite a few things have to come off in order to pull the oil filter housing. Did they change your belts or do anything else while they had everything apart?
2008 535i-6 sport (sold)
1999 528iT sport (sold)
2002 525iT alpine sport
1990 325i sedan
1990 325is coupe
Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petlover View Post

BMW Motor Oil 5w30 vs Castrol 5w30, are they the same or which one is better?
You were not ripped off. That charge is typical, which equates to 2.5-3 hours of labor, depending on hourly rate. That is the cost of maintaining these cars (if you send it out).

After reading the DIY, you are probably getting motivated to get some tools and DIY the next time. Happens to all of us eventually. They actually become affordable if you DIY.

BMW oil is not necessarily the same as Castrol. Castrol makes a Euro variant that is LL certified. BMW requires LL certification if you intend to run it for 15K. Most folks run whatever oil they choose* and simply change it up more frequently (5K-7K intervals). That eliminates the need for long life oil. Get a Mityvac and changing oil is a 15 min job and you don't even have to get under the car!

* There are those that believe oil is oil and those that will only use what BMW specifies, but that's another thread. To each, his own.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
That charge is typical
Out here, you can easily be charged $450 for replacing a battery; so that price is fantastic!

I was never able to download the KSD which contains the FRU for every job though ...
- Where is the best place to find a decent English language BMW KSD (for shop rates)?

Quote:
They actually become affordable if you DIY.
Gotta add that one to the best quotes!

Quote:
Most folks run whatever oil they choose* and simply change it up more frequently (5K-7K intervals).
To the OP:
Fudman is on the mark!

What oil YOU choose is up to YOU just as what religion you choose is up to you. It's not what oil or what religion; it's how you practice it (in this case, it's how often you go to church & change it) that matters.

- BMW Petrolism religious camps (1)

Quote:
There are those that believe oil is oil and those that will only use what BMW specifies, but that's another thread.
Here's a summary quote from that thread:

Quote:
  • Jewish
  • Catholic
  • Protestant
  • BMW-approved oils only
  • BMW-approved oils and similar oils only
  • BMW-approved oils and similar oils and quality oils only
  • When it's time to meet its maker ... your beloved bimmer ...
    • blissfully rises to mythical Bavarian pearly gates
    • knowingly lingers in mythical Bavarian purgatorial limbo
    • unrepentantly suffers in mythical Bavarian hell

Last edited by bluebee; 09-10-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
That DIY by cn90 is incredible, as is all of his work. Wow.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
KSD lists 24 flat rate units (FRUs) for an oil filter housing gasket on a 530 / DT63. Labour code is 11 42 020. If the job is combined with other work then 22 FRUs.

As described in other threads, the engineers who calculated BMW's flat rates did so on the basis that an FRU is 5 minutes => 120 minutes or 2 hours for the job. However at least some BMW dealerships in NA use 10 or 12 minutes per FRU.

EDIT: I have no comment on type of oil. Common wisdom is that one should never discuss politics, sex or religion with anyone other than one's closest friends. To that I will add "what oil should we use with BMW owners."

Regards
RDL

Last edited by rdl; 09-10-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
I would never put those oils in my car. Sunflower oil is much better because it's so low in trans fats.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
I'd say that was a pretty low price to pay for someone else to do it. I just did my second E39 last weekend, took me about five hours, but then again, I'm relentless when it comes to cleaning off all the oil that dripped down the pan. I paid $7 for the gasket from Ebay, shipping included.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Three hours sounds reasonable...

It took me about 8 hours since I was also repairing a PS fluid leak (replaced the braid-covered hose) and cleaning oily residue off the engine, suspension, frame, etc. I also removed a bunch of debris from the air-cooled alternator. After reading Doru's post on the chain tensioner, I added that to the list.

After inspecting the belts (30K miles since cooling system overhaul), there were a lot of cracked ribs so I had to swing by NAPA to buy the belts. Good thing they are open Sundays.

Upon removing the fan clutch to access the belts, I spent time cleaning the grime off the fan clutch.

Finally, I did an oil change with my Mityvac, and while I had that out, changed the oil on my generator and snow blower.

I'm in the E39 camp of do-1-job, do-a-combo. Feels good knowing that there were no extra parts after everything was buttoned up! Thanks to other DIY'ers for all their help, especially bluebee for putting all the info in a single post..
Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by riro424 View Post
Three hours sounds reasonable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by riro424 View Post

It took me about 8 hours since I was also repairing a PS fluid leak (replaced the braid-covered hose) and cleaning oily residue off the engine, suspension, frame, etc. I also removed a bunch of debris from the air-cooled alternator. After reading Doru's post on the chain tensioner, I added that to the list.

After inspecting the belts (30K miles since cooling system overhaul), there were a lot of cracked ribs so I had to swing by NAPA to buy the belts. Good thing they are open Sundays.

Upon removing the fan clutch to access the belts, I spent time cleaning the grime off the fan clutch.

Finally, I did an oil change with my Mityvac, and while I had that out, changed the oil on my generator and snow blower.

I'm in the E39 camp of do-1-job, do-a-combo. Feels good knowing that there were no extra parts after everything was buttoned up! Thanks to other DIY'ers for all their help, especially bluebee for putting all the info in a single post..

Keep in mind your statement I chose to bold up.
That grime, that looks oily and you wonder "where the heck is all this oil coming from?", especially it's on the side that looks toward the engine, but air is drawn from the front....this usually means you start losing the viscous fluid. With winter in sight, you will be probably OK, but once spring will start, monitor the KTMP. If your temp will go above 98C while idling in traffic, that means the fan clutch is toast (usually it should stay around 96C while idling in traffic, but higher if AC is on). If you see 101 -102C it's a dead giveaway. Your fan clutch will not fail in the stuck mode, but fails in "not engaging" mode.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
That grime, that looks oily and you wonder "where the heck is all this oil coming from?", especially it's on the side that looks toward the engine, but air is drawn from the front....this usually means you start losing the viscous fluid.
That was the signal for me to replace mine.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Thanks for the heads up Doru.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I did mine in 30 mins. BS that it takes 3 hours. I did my Vanos in less than 3 and they said it would take 10. Labor is easy to charge.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmyfive View Post
I did mine in 30 mins. BS that it takes 3 hours. I did my Vanos in less than 3 and they said it would take 10. Labor is easy to charge.
Does anyone have a KSD value handy for these jobs?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
Quote:
I did mine in 30 mins. BS that it takes 3 hours.
How'd you do this in 30 mins? You have to take out the whole air filter box so you can sneak a ratchet and socket to the 6 side bolts, plus take out the front bolt that holds the belt tensioner or idler, and the alternator too, do you not? Then when it's time to button up everything, you have to deal w/ the belt and tensioner and alternator and then put back the air filter box, and MAF and air boot. You bs'ing or you for real on 30mins?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
30 min is kind of "Formula 1 tire changing" approach.
I doubt if anyone can do this for 30 min.
Unless you are the magician Houdini, this OFH gasket job typically takes 2h to do it properly.

Last edited by cn90; 11-02-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:

Can't refrain, but calling BS on this one.

You need to clear a few things to do the job right, from airbox, to power steering reservoir, to alternator removal.
Then, you need to clean the mating surfaces. Time warp at it's best.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby