Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive
Curb Rash - Can this be fixed?

I'm sick! I rubbed a curb tonight and scratched a wheel.

It's a BMW 356 Bi-color wheel. I'm worried it can't be fixed because the face of the wheel has a slightly brushed/mirrored finish and doesn't appear to be painted. What do you think?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
1st time always hurts the most. I'm sure much / most of that can be polished + ground out, but unless you buy a new rim you'll never have the manufacturers finish
Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
1st time always hurts the most. I'm sure much / most of that can be polished + ground out, but unless you buy a new rim you'll never have the manufacturers finish
I disagree. I have sustained curb rash many times since October 2010. Each time, I have brought the vehicle to the dealer and it has been fixed and the rims look as good as new. And here is the rub, when I accepted delivery, I paid about $600.00 for an extra warranty, which includes the repair of curb rash. The warranty has already paid for itself. To the OP, do not be upset any longer. Bring your vehicle to the dealer without further delay. The dealer will sub out the repair and you will be very happy with the results. :thumb up:

Addendum: Painted rims can be fixed. Chrome or polished rims are a different story. I think you may be out of luck because of the type of rim. Call your dealer's service department and ask them if your type of tim can be fixed. Sorry if I gave you false hopes.

2014 750ix M Sport

Last edited by GHOST PROTOCOL; 09-10-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
I disagree. I have sustained curb rash many times since October 2010. Each time, I have brought the vehicle to the dealer and it has been fixed and the rims look as good as new. And here is the rub, when I accepted delivery, I paid about $600.00 for an extra warranty, which includes the repair of curb rash. The warranty has already paid for itself. To the OP, do not be upset any longer. Bring your vehicle to the dealer without further delay. The dealer will sub out the repair and you will be very happy with the results.
On fairly new rims yes you are correct. The same won't be true a year or two down the line unless you meticulously keep all your rims clean. With the brake dust pitting the clearcoat or staining the rims, then if you curb it and that rim is refinished then you will have one newer looking rim compared to the other 3 older looking rims. This also depends where you live. If you live in sunny climates and your rims don't get the winter salt over it, then this also helps.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive
Thanks everyone. I guess it was bound to happen at some point. I will go to the dealer on Monday to see what they think. It would suck to have to buy a brand new one, just for it to possibly happen again.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by knecht View Post
Thanks everyone. I guess it was bound to happen at some point. I will go to the dealer on Monday to see what they think. It would suck to have to buy a brand new one, just for it to possibly happen again.
I wouldn't have the dealer do it, all they will do is sub contract it out and charge you more on top of it. Find a good place though word of mouth. If you have a decent relationship with your SA, they will tell you where they send their cars, you much better off just going directly to them.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The full camera package with 360 degree view gives a detailed view of the curb when parking the car. Really, really helps you to never touch the curb with the wheels. Highly recommended and costs little more than the price of a wheel.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The full camera package with 360 degree view gives a detailed view of the curb when parking the car. Really, really helps you to never touch the curb with the wheels. Highly recommended and costs little more than the price of a wheel.
too bad you have to buy a new car to get it.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 09-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
too bad you have to buy a new car to get it.
I think you have to get a 550i to get it now. I remember reading that they aren't giving 28 & 35 that option anymore.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Good wheel refinishers can do some amazing work. I've seen wheels that look almost beyond reasonable repair come back essentially as good as new.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i
Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 PM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
I think you have to get a 550i to get it now. I remember reading that they aren't giving 28 & 35 that option anymore.
The top and side cameras are included in the ZDA (driver's assistance) package, which is available only on the 550's. However, the top and side camera option is still available for $800 on the 528 and 535, so long as you also get the rear camera and PDC.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: E36
Polish/Machined wheels can be fixed. As far as it being 100%....not gonna happen but the following method of repair is acceptable for lease return inspections. If you want the wheel to be "perfect"...pull it off and send it out to a wheel repair company and have them resurface the face on a lathe.

Find a small DA sander

1. 320 grit
2. 400 grit

3. Wetsand with 1000 grit

4. Polish with Meguiars Aluminum polish

5. Clearcoat it.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by knecht View Post
Hi

I have the same thing, but far worse than your damage. I have used the Dremel tool and grind it down. Getting rid of the rough scuffed up surface. But the face is now dull. I am going to try experimenting with different polishing tip to see if I can bring it back to the shining surface. I know it will not be 100% or even 98%. But at least it will look better than how it is now.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50 stg2, clk55k, ml63
We've had our share of curb rash...... (due to wife's driver-thru/parking garage antics).... shhhh don't tell her I said that
I've made simple home repairs with the dremel/touch up paint route on her little c230 with silver painted wheels.

I'm surprised no-one has come up with a tough clear wheel lip bra..... like 3m clear bra for the front of your car. If the material was thick enough it might work? This product would sell very I bet if it worked.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
We've had our share of curb rash...... (due to wife's driver-thru/parking garage antics).... shhhh don't tell her I said that
I've made simple home repairs with the dremel/touch up paint route on her little c230 with silver painted wheels.

I'm surprised no-one has come up with a tough clear wheel lip bra..... like 3m clear bra for the front of your car. If the material was thick enough it might work? This product would sell very I bet if it worked.
It gets too hot down there. Also, the brake dust and chemicals used to clean wheels is pretty corrosive and could potentially damage anything used to protect them. Lastly a clear bra needs flat, even surfaces to adhere too, the wheel has too many uneven surfaces to apply anything to it. The solution continues to be top view mounted cameras and self parking feature, or carefulness.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50 stg2, clk55k, ml63
The clear bra would just go on the outer lip. There are high temp mat'l out there. The outer rim should not see disk brake temps. I'll do a little research.
Appreciate your ideas though.

There are no amount of cameras to protect wheels from the wife. She's more point/shoot type driver
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
The clear bra would just go on the outer lip. There are high temp mat'l out there. The outer rim should not see disk brake temps. I'll do a little research.
Appreciate your ideas though.

There are no amount of cameras to protect wheels from the wife. She's more point/shoot type driver
I think curb rash or anything type of wheel scrapping is way too hard/tough for the clear bra to handle. I think it will just rip right through it or rip it away since there is not much surface to it to attach to.
it is inevitable that we scratch the wheels. I will try to be as careful as possible and fix it myself the best way I can.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
125 a wheel here in NYC. worth the money, the wheels look brand new. im sure if they can do it here they can do it there. my guy is qwicksilver in bklyn. highly recommended

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM

if you have like $800 wheel, yes. But if a brand new wheel only cost about $300, I am not sure if fixing is worth the money.