Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Boxster S
I finally had my 1200 mile service...

...(it took me three months to accumulate the miles) and I have to say that the ability to hit the M button (for fast throttle response) and wind this motor out has COMPLETELY changed my opinion of this car. Yes, it's still at least 500 pounds too heavy and 5mpg too thirsty, but yesterday I was finally able to put the top-down and use that go-pedal the way it was meant to be used (and as an added bonus, it was finally cool enough that I didn't need to run the power-draining A/C) and man, I could see my license going away in a hurry with this car! I have now been hit with the sudden urge to put the top down and aim this thing straight towards Montana before it starts snowing out there. Ah, maybe next year...
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2011, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalthought View Post
...(it took me three months to accumulate the miles) and I have to say that the ability to hit the M button (for fast throttle response) and wind this motor out has COMPLETELY changed my opinion of this car. Yes, it's still at least 500 pounds too heavy and 5mpg too thirsty, but yesterday I was finally able to put the top-down and use that go-pedal the way it was meant to be used (and as an added bonus, it was finally cool enough that I didn't need to run the power-draining A/C) and man, I could see my license going away in a hurry with this car! I have now been hit with the sudden urge to put the top down and aim this thing straight towards Montana before it starts snowing out there. Ah, maybe next year...
Have you noticed the car being more powerful now? and more noisy?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM

>>Have you noticed the car being more powerful now? and more noisy?<<

It "feels" a lot more powerful, but I assume that's just the result of the quicker throttle response via the M button (as well as the higher revs). I haven't noticed any additional "noise," however I *have* noticed a significantly louder melodic symphony of valves, camshafts and cylinders.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 550i , 2008 328i
Quote:
>>"noise," however I *have* noticed a significantly louder melodic symphony of valves, camshafts and cylinders.
apologies, 'noise' was an insulting word.
I mean symphony, harmony, synchrony, chorus!!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:40 AM

Mein Auto: '11 M3
So the M button is locked until the 1200 mile service?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-4ME View Post
So the M button is locked until the 1200 mile service?
No. As far as I can tell, all the M button does is increase the throttle response and lock in whatever you preset for the sportier suspension setting. You can run the car with that quicker throttle response without going full-throttle or exceeding the recommended pre-1200 mile RPM limit.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Thx, what's the rpm max requirement pre 1200 miles?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:15 PM

Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 AM

I've toggled past the 5500 ever so slightly, but have tried to avoid WOT. Did you avoid flooring it as well? Noticed there are other threads about engine break-in. And there's another break-in past the 1200!? Are you following that one too?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I've toggled past the 5500 ever so slightly, but have tried to avoid WOT. Did you avoid flooring it as well? Noticed there are other threads about engine break-in. And there's another break-in past the 1200!? Are you following that one too?
I don't think I ever went full-throttle (or at least very rarely did) during the 1200-mile break-in. I haven't heard anything about a post-1200 mile break-in, nor do I want to, lol.

By the way, FWIW, I'm starting to feel a bit ambiguous about this car again. Yes, it's an awesome motor but the ponderous weight of the car is really starting to bother me again. I'm very much hoping that the rear seats in the new 911 are improved enough to seat two short adults for a short period of time and that the new electric steering system doesn't screw up what has historically been one of the best things about that car. If so (and if the financial markets cooperate, lol), I think my next vehicle (in two and a half years, when this lease is up) will be a C2 S cabriolet, which will probably weigh around 900 pounds less than this BMW. There's just really no excuse in this "aluminum day and age" (forget costly carbon fiber) of structural supercomputer modeling for a two-wheel drive car the size of this one-- even with a hardtop convertible roof-- to weigh over 4100 pounds. I bet if Steve Jobs had been a car nut directing BMW's engineers, our M3 convertibles would be weighing in at around 3600 pounds at the same price, lol.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Quote:
I don't think I ever went full-throttle (or at least very rarely did) during the 1200-mile break-in. I haven't heard anything about a post-1200 mile break-in, nor do I want to, lol.

By the way, FWIW, I'm starting to feel a bit ambiguous about this car again. Yes, it's an awesome motor but the ponderous weight of the car is really starting to bother me again. I'm very much hoping that the rear seats in the new 911 are improved enough to seat two short adults for a short period of time and that the new electric steering system doesn't screw up what has historically been one of the best things about that car. If so (and if the financial markets cooperate, lol), I think my next vehicle (in two and a half years, when this lease is up) will be a C2 S cabriolet, which will probably weigh around 900 pounds less than this BMW. There's just really no excuse in this "aluminum day and age" (forget costly carbon fiber) of structural supercomputer modeling for a two-wheel drive car the size of this one-- even with a hardtop convertible roof-- to weigh over 4100 pounds. I bet if Steve Jobs had been a car nut directing BMW's engineers, our M3 convertibles would be weighing in at around 3600 pounds at the same price, lol.
How and when are you feeling the weight of the car? Are you tracking the car or running light to light? Just curious if you are feeling it day to day................Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 10-30-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 Ryder View Post
How and when are you feeling the weight of the car? Are you tracking the car or running light to light? Just curious if you are feeling it day to day................Phil
Man, I'd have to be a bit nuts to track this thing! No, I guess the best way to describe the weight is in the car's lack of "tossability"; i.e., everything (except 30mph to 90mph straight line acceleration, lol) happens a bit ponderously, and the steering-- while responsive-- isn't particularly "alive" (a trait in many modern cars, I'll admit). I think back to lots of earlier cars I've had that just seemed to ENCOURAGE quick lane changes and threading through traffic (probably stupidly dangerous things to do anyway, but I was a lot younger then, lol) and this car just doesn't feel like doing that. Among cars I've owned that were just more "fun to drive" than this one were a 240Z, a Sentra SE-R, an Integra GSR V-tech, a '91 911 C2 (which I *did* track quite a bit) and a Subie WRX. In fact, ironically, among the least "fun to drive" cars I've had was a '98 M3 which lacked both steering feel AND power (although it did have a great rear suspension); at least there's no shortage of power in the current one, lol. I'm sure the current M3 coupe would have a very different feel from this convertible and I obviously made a conscious choice to have a retractable roof, but nevertheless, while this car is a great "cruiser" the only time it feels truly alive to me is pedal-to-the-metal in a straight line.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Not sure if you have DCT or MT, but loading the M drive up with maximum settings will add some adventure. There's no substitute for shaving weight, but the power this car delivers makes it something you can live with. Also, have you performed any mods to the car? A simple tune and exhaust can make a difference....................Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK

Last edited by 650 Ryder; 10-30-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Not sure if you have DCT or MT, but loading the M drive up with maximum settings will add some adventure. There's no substitute fro shaving weight, but the power this car delivers makes it something you can live with. Also, have you performed any mods to the car? A simple tune and exhaust can make a difference....................Phil
Mine has the MT, and thanks, but I don't think changing the exhaust will change my "core issue" here. I'm obviously not alone on this as most of the reviewers said the same thing about the convertible version-- hey, it is what it is, and when the top comes down on a nice day, life ain't bad!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Mine has the MT, and thanks, but I don't think changing the exhaust will change my "core issue" here. I'm obviously not alone on this as most of the reviewers said the same thing about the convertible version-- hey, it is what it is, and when the top comes down on a nice day, life ain't bad!
Again there's no substitute for cutting some weight, but adding a horse or two can make the weight less intrusive. As you stated, it is what it is and I'm sure you thought about the weight prior to your purchase. But when the sun is out and the wind is ever so slight....who gives a damn about weight ......................Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Again there's no substitute for cutting some weight, but adding a horse or two can make the weight less intrusive. As you stated, it is what it is and I'm sure you thought about the weight prior to your purchase. But when the sun is out and the wind is ever so slight....who gives a damn about weight ......................Phil
Yes, then the only weight I worry about is my girlfriend's!

Lol, do I now win the "sexist comment of the year" award?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I understand your hardship with weight, but if you didn't purchase the car with the intent to track, you don't need to worry about shaving a tenth off here and there as much as you need to appreciate the wind in your face and engine roar in your ear! :-)
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3
Quote:
Thx, what's the rpm max requirement pre 1200 miles?
OP responded 5500 rpm. I'm curious, because I just did ED on my E92 M3 on 10/5/11 and the person at the Welt showed me the owner's manual which says 4500rpm. I've seen both 4500 and 5500 frequently posted, but wondering if your manual says 5500, or perhaps the dealership said 5500?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM

My manual say 5.5k.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcultra View Post
OP responded 5500 rpm. I'm curious, because I just did ED on my E92 M3 on 10/5/11 and the person at the Welt showed me the owner's manual which says 4500rpm. I've seen both 4500 and 5500 frequently posted, but wondering if your manual says 5500, or perhaps the dealership said 5500?
>>Up to 1,200miles/2,000 km
Drive at varying engine and road speeds, but do
not exceed an engine speed of 5,500 rpm and a
road speed of 105 mph/170 km/h.
Do not depress the accelerator all the way.
From 1,200miles/2,000 km to
3,000miles/5,000 km
Engine and road speeds can be increased gradually
up to a traveling speed of 135 mph/
220 km/h. Use the maximum speed only for
brief intervals, e.g. when passing.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
Why we have to press the M button to get the extra hp? Why not have M engine run all the time?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvong View Post
Why we have to press the M button to get the extra hp? Why not have M engine run all the time?
You don't get extra HP....you get better throttle response. It requires less travel to achieve more go (easy explanation)............Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust