Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Hare Krsna

Send a message via Skype™ to Brajanath das
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 540i Dinan
Need K&N filter for Dinan high flow cold air intake

Hi all!
I have Dinan high flow cold air intake on my 2001 e39 540i. I'm looking for any K&N (reusable) filter that would fit this intake. Could you please suggest which K&N model I should get?
Have you seen one on ebay or at some other place?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Brajanath das; 09-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
The majority of knowledgeable veterans around here wouldn`t touch a K&N filter for use on a BMW....there`s plenty of documention here to explain this....start scrolling backwards through the older threads, and educate yourself.

Here`s a link to one such (typical) thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=562189

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....

Last edited by Fast Bob; 09-12-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Hare Krsna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
The majority of knowledgeable veterans around here wouldn`t touch a K&N filter for use on a BMW....there`s plenty of documention here to explain this....start scrolling backwards through the older threads, and educate yourself.

Here`s a link to one such (typical) thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=562189
Thanks! Good to know. Cancelled my cabin filters order:-)

Last edited by Brajanath das; 09-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajanath das View Post
Cancelled my cabin filters order
I don't get the joke (but I saw the smiley)...

If it's engine air filters the OP is after, this set of threads would be instructive:
- Which is better, stock or aftermarket cold air intake (1) (2) & a home-made CAI (1) & the general consensus on the effectiveness of an aftermarket CAI versus the stock BMW CAI (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to reduce the risk of hydro lock (1) (2) & what about a K&N oiled air filter over the stock air filter (1) & a forced induction group buy (1) and adding nitrous oxide to your E39 (1) & links to suppliers to improve performance of your E39 (1)

If it's cabin air filters, then this is relevant:
- How to DIY replace the activated charcoal cabin air filter (1) (2) & what cabin filter to buy (1) (2) & cn90's inexpensive cabin filter retrofit (1) (2) (3) & cabin air filter implications for stinky air conditioning (1) (2)
Old 09-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Hare Krsna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I don't get the joke (but I saw the smiley)...
Just ordered cabin filters before posting that message:-)

Quote:
If it's engine air filters the OP is after, this set of threads would be instructive:
- Which is better, stock or aftermarket cold air intake (1) (2) & a home-made CAI (1) & the general consensus on the effectiveness of an aftermarket CAI versus the stock BMW CAI (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to reduce the risk of hydro lock (1) (2) & what about a K&N oiled air filter over the stock air filter (1) & a forced induction group buy (1) and adding nitrous oxide to your E39 (1) & links to suppliers to improve performance of your E39 (1)

If it's cabin air filters, then this is relevant:
- How to DIY replace the activated charcoal cabin air filter (1) (2) & what cabin filter to buy (1) (2) & cn90's inexpensive cabin filter retrofit (1) (2) (3) & cabin air filter implications for stinky air conditioning (1) (2)
Thanks for such advanced info!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: Me - E39 5spd, Wife - E36
Quote:
Hi all!
I have Dinan high flow cold air intake on my 2001 e39 540i. I'm looking for any K&N (reusable) filter that would fit this intake. Could you please suggest which K&N model I should get?
Thanks a lot.
Why not just order the correct one from Dinan?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Hi all!
Thanks a lot.
Do you still have the old filter or just the intake tube?

If you still have the old filter just take measurements of the cone and search K&N universal filter: http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx

If you just have the tube, the most important measurement is the measurement of the intake tube which IIRC is about 3". So anything larger than 3" will fit as there is a worm clamp to tighten it down some as well. The rest of the filter can be any shape and size AS LONG AS IT FITS inside behind the bumper.

K&N filters come in all shapes and sizes. Dinan DID NOT tune the filter to the intake tube, so it is not unique to the intake.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Hare Krsna

Yeah, I got one from Dinan today. Just though that K&N would serve longer.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Yeah, I got one from Dinan today. Just though that K&N would serve longer.
The K&N will serve longer as the one from DINAN states replace every 30k miles while the K&N Filter cost just as much or less but lasts 1,000,000 miles (warrantied) with PROPER cleaning and oiling.

Last edited by dvsgene; 09-13-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 540I
how much did you pay for the dinan. i bought my car with the dinan filter on and have never changed it jus wash the bag that covers it. should i be worried?