Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: United States
DVD Unit

Hi, I am new to the forums as I am new to the wonderful world of BMW. I Like my new 1997 528i so much that I want to spend some money on fixing a few things and while my mechanic is doing his thing, I wanna do mine and install a new stereo

My stereo's left side doesnt work, there for all the buttons on the left half do no work, so I can either replace the unit with another working one for around $200 plus labor, or I can get this cool gadget and spend around $650 plus labor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_7670wt_1339

Its basically a screen display that takes both the tape deck and the stereo deck, and turns it into a full 7in multimedia center. Navigation (comes with its own GPS chip), mp3 player, hands free bluetooth supporting A2DP, radio, DVD, CD pretty much everything you can think of.

Draw backs is that it doesnt have a detachable face, so it could cause attention to thieves, and its china made and doesnt really have support here in the US. I cant test drive it or use its GPS functions until I purchase it and install it which would have already cost me around $1000. I dont want to spend a grand on something only to find out its a piece of crap, but I also dont want to install the boring stereo unit, and If I get one of those pop out screens with all those things, would it fit in the tape deck slot? the tape deck slot doesnt look like a standard 1U stereo unit size.

Thanks again guys
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 528i / E34 540i
Welcome

That ebay unit....hmmm NO.
Do yourself a favour and search this forum for Hualigan or Dynavin

Hereis a link to one install
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=doru+dynavin
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

The Best of the Chinese made replacement units for the E39 is Dynavin. The Hualingan was the other contender, but have fallen away as they have more quality issues from those who did buy them. The other 'clone' names out there you see on egay are probably just the same as the Hualingan or could be worse. If you do decide to go the Dynavin route, please do purchase via Jeff and J&T distributing out of Fresno California. Jeff is an enthusiast, and has provided a USA base for support and customer service for Dynavin. His reputation over on E46 fantatics is excellent ! here's his website - http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavinsolutions/

The other alternative is to fit a Janus Design fascia and fitting kit which will allow you to install a double DIN head unit from the likes of Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood etc, which are all highly respected and reptuable brands.
http://www.janus-design.net/english/index.php

You could go for the Single DIN OEM fascia which then will allow you to fit a single DIN aftermarket head unit in.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: m5
I did an upgrade with these guys. They have BMW OEM equipment and have upgrades to the latest BMW navigation, blue-tooth, and satellite radio. Because they use the BMW stuff you don't have to deal with converting connectors or changing out the DSP unit because of compatibility.

http://www.bimmernav.com/index.html

Last edited by KosmicKowboy; 02-26-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: I left out the link
Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
If your going for the DVD Nav route, I would stick with the Dynavin unit. There are some real horror stories out there regarding the cheaper Dynavin knock offs. Fit and finish is top quality. Have had mine now for a couple of months now and really happy with the way it performs.