Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i coupe w/M
finally decided and pulled the trigger...

After agonizing over what model i wanted to get, I finally decided on a 2011 135i coupe (with the M package). Here she is:

I was worried my double bass wouldn't fit, but it's sitting in the passenger seat (and i can still shift!)

So I'm curious...do modifications void the BMW manufacturer's warranty?
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Great looking 135i - enjoy!

I'm really surprised your bass can be safely and easily transported in the coupe. Although my 73 key Nord Electro will just fit in my 128i 'vert's trunk, the associated amp & other equipment won't, so I prefer my 328i wagon for gigging.

From what I've read, if a part fails due a mod, the warranty will not cover it - but will still be in effect for unrelated issues.

And watch out for those Baltimore potholes!

Tom
Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Great looking 135i - enjoy!

I'm really surprised your bass can be safely and easily transported in the coupe. Although my 73 key Nord Electro will just fit in my 128i 'vert's trunk, the associated amp & other equipment won't, so I prefer my 328i wagon for gigging.

From what I've read, if a part fails due a mod, the warranty will not cover it - but will still be in effect for unrelated issues.

And watch out for those Baltimore potholes!

Tom
Thanks Tom! It fits pretty easily, the only problem is that i have to be able to open the door pretty wide to get it in/out, which is annoying with parking, but I don't have to transport it all that often thankfully. It sits nicely in the passenger seat with the scroll passing through the rear 60/40 driver's side into the trunk.

Regarding the potholes...at least my normal city commute was just repaved for the Grand Prix, so it's pretty nice. I'm still wondering if i should have picked up the tire coverage though
Old 09-14-2011, 03:33 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Beautiful color choice and congratulations! Let the modding begin!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by olde View Post
Regarding the potholes...at least my normal city commute was just repaved for the Grand Prix, so it's pretty nice. I'm still wondering if i should have picked up the tire coverage though
I've been travelling regularly to Johns Hopkins for a health issue the past few months and have had no tire damage heading east on that collection of craters known as Baltimore Street. But I keep the speed down to 10~20 mph and have 16" RFTs on my E91. So unless you really fly over these routes on 19" wheels, I'd pass on the tire/wheel insurance.

Has the downtown street construction finished now that they've run the GP? In DC, these projects seemingly drag on for years!

Tom
Old 09-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: Hope to get F10
Congrats on sweet ride
Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Has the downtown street construction finished now that they've run the GP? In DC, these projects seemingly drag on for years!

Tom
Yeah, they've had some closures at night to take down the fences and grandstands, but no more roadwork. I'm actually pretty impressed at how quickly they complete road projects here.

I meant to ask you before...do you put winter tires on your 128 here in MD? I haven't really experienced winter here, so I'm not sure how many days of work i'm going to miss because i can't drive in the snow anymore
Old 09-27-2011, 04:49 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
After agonizing over what model i wanted to get, I finally decided on a 2011 135i coupe (with the M package). Here she is:

Nice looking ride you have there! I just picked-up a 135i myself...an `08 CPO convertible from BMW of Bel Air.

Congratulations and enjoy!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: '11 128i, '05 Range Rover
Looks really nice. Always liked the M-sport wheels on the 135. Did you also get the DCT transmission?

Pity that BMW offers some god awful ones on the 128.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 135i
Congrats! I like the Blue! Did the windows come that tinted?! I bought mine up at Silver Springs and they aren't tinted at all!

What are you looking to do to her? As mentioned before, most dealerships policy is that it has to be proven that the part in question was directly effected by a modification. That's not always the case. I know when I owned my Lancer, they have to prove that it was the mods fault for the issue, if you modded the exhaust in ANY way they would void the warranty on the exhaust. A guy put in a custom stereo and apparently when he had an electrical problem Mitsubishi said your who electrical system AND sensors were voided due to the aftermarket stereo....!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatbeni View Post
Looks really nice. Always liked the M-sport wheels on the 135. Did you also get the DCT transmission?
Nope, manual. I love driving a stick
Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMeUp View Post
Congrats! I like the Blue! Did the windows come that tinted?! I bought mine up at Silver Springs and they aren't tinted at all!
Yeah, and they don't pass MD safety inspection - they're only 10% and MD requires 35%, so i have to remove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMeUp View Post
What are you looking to do to her? As mentioned before, most dealerships policy is that it has to be proven that the part in question was directly effected by a modification. That's not always the case. I know when I owned my Lancer, they have to prove that it was the mods fault for the issue, if you modded the exhaust in ANY way they would void the warranty on the exhaust. A guy put in a custom stereo and apparently when he had an electrical problem Mitsubishi said your who electrical system AND sensors were voided due to the aftermarket stereo....!
That's what I've heard...i was thinking of doing the Dinan cold air intake, but i may look into the BMW performance upgrade package instead. I'm going to talk to my local BMW dealer (Towson) that does Dinan work and see what they say about it.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Yeah, and they don't pass MD safety inspection - they're only 10% and MD requires 35%, so i have to remove it

That's what I've heard...i was thinking of doing the Dinan cold air intake, but i may look into the BMW performance upgrade package instead. I'm going to talk to my local BMW dealer (Towson) that does Dinan work and see what they say about it.
I want to get tint but Virginia is the same way 35%, I have seen cars with 35% and it doesn't seem to really be worth it. I also have friends who have 25-30% and get away with it... You could always register your car out of state!

Let us/me know what comes of the performance package. I have heard rumors about it and would love to get it, IF the cost justifies the performance. I have heard anything from an estimated $500 to $2000, not including labor costs. If you're only getting a slight bump in HP/TQ then I would just wait.

I can't imagine an air intake really causing any issues. I'm new to the whole mods and aftermarket parts bit but from what I understand, an air intake is the safer of the modifications and causes the least amount of issues... Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 PM
AW 2012 BMW 128i Oyster L

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i coupe soon
That blue exterior color is gorgeous! I know you will enjoy your new BMW 135i coupe with the M package!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Yeah, they've had some closures at night to take down the fences and grandstands, but no more roadwork. I'm actually pretty impressed at how quickly they complete road projects here.

I meant to ask you before...do you put winter tires on your 128 here in MD? I haven't really experienced winter here, so I'm not sure how many days of work i'm going to miss because i can't drive in the snow anymore
With a set of snow tires and the Dinan LSD upgrade you should be ok in moderate snow conditions.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D773-0...ly.aspx#page=2

My son has the Dinan stage 2 and the the Cold Air Intake on his 2009 135i convertable. He realy like it, especialy the extra torque.

No LSD as he has the autmatic transmision.

I have heard rumors Dinan will come out with performance upgrades in 2012 for the N55 engine.

Last edited by Norm37; 10-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
With a set of snow tires and the Dinan LSD upgrade you should be ok in moderate snow conditions.

http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D773-0...ly.aspx#page=2

My son has the Dinan stage 2 and the the Cold Air Intake on his 2009 135i convertable. He realy like it, especialy the extra torque.

No LSD as he has the autmatic transmision.

I have heard rumors Dinan will come out with performance upgrades in 2012 for the N55 engine.
Thanks Norm! I've been talking with my local Dinan rep at the dealership about upgrades...he said they hope to have the performance tuning ready by January for the N55.

I'd like to get wheels as well, but they've had problems fitting wheels on this model without making mods to the frame and suspension. They confirmed that they can machine HRE performance wheels for my car (like http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D750-0...ck.aspx#page=1), but those will be $6400 (plus i'd have to buy new tires). Not sure if the performance benefit is worth the cost, although i like the idea of having them custom forged

My dealer found a cheaper wheel option, but I'm wondering if i should just wait for Dinan to figure out the fit for the BBS CH-Rs for the E82.

I think I'm just going to stop worrying about the snow issue for now...I don't have to commute right now, although that could change. But I figure I'll just take vacation days if the snow is really bad...hopefully there won't be crazy snow this year.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
I think I'm just going to stop worrying about the snow issue for now...I don't have to commute right now, although that could change. But I figure I'll just take vacation days if the snow is really bad...hopefully there won't be crazy snow this year.
Performance summer tires are not recommended for use when the temperature drops into the low 40s and below. It's not just snowy conditions as the rubber compound gets very hard at low temperature.

One term used to describe them is they get hard like (Hockey Pucks). So the tire has a tendancy to lose its grip and slide even on dry pavement and has a longer stopping distance.

Did you check out tire rack for wheels?

If you have mild winters you might consider performance winter tires vs winter tires.

My son has the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 performance winter tire on his 135i convertable. He doen't drive the convertable in snow.

The PA3s are a good snow and cold weather tires that also work well in warmer weather and rainy conditions.

He doesn't put on his summer performance set of tires until the late night temperature gets into the the high 40s or low 50s

Last edited by Norm37; 10-20-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 AM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Congrats, great package!

As far as mods voiding the warrantly, just be careful. In my personal opinion, mods are subject to interpretation by BMW. For example, a performance exhaust shouldn't affect much in the car, but a chip upgrade affects the performance and potentially components of the car. At least, that's how BMW will view it. Some mods you might consider are Dinan, which can be installed by BMW. It still voids the BMW warranty, but Dinan will offer a replacement warranty to match the terms of BMW's. Either way, do your research. It just depends on what you want to do.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...