Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5-spd sport pkg
? re: replacing coolant hose - head to throttle body

Guys,

Car: 98 528i (M52)

Shop did a complete refurb on my car's cooling system 9 weeks ago; recently experiencing some very intermittiment 'overheat' so car back at shop. They indicated they found very small leak in hose the connects from head to throttle body and it's interrupting their testing of the system. They want $277 to replace the hose and said this must be done in order to complete testing.

Does this sound correct? I do a lot of work on my car and unless they have to pull the intake manifold to get to this hose connection on the head I can't see why 2 hours of labor. I'm now wondering if they can't get the car to show slight overheat and want to recoup some $$$ for their diagnostic time, ugh.

Thoughts?
Thanks/Bill

Last edited by Wgosma; 03-22-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2016, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: E39 2000 528ITA
It's right only one question why didn't they replace these hoses when doing a complete overhaul. The overheat is from air getting in and I"m guessing that they've found where it's coming in at and want you to pay more for it. As for cost.. do it yourself, I've read what you've done so I know you can. I see a re-bleed in your future. You also might want to revisit all the other hoses too..

Production FROM : 1998/09/01 TO : 1999/08/31
Old 03-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Older than old school

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 k75s
You might just look at your prior cooling system work order to see what exactly was replaced. To me, a "complete refurb" includes all hoses. I'd be tempted to hold their feet to the fire on this and see what they'll do. If they won't budge, I'd guess you could do it yourself without much trouble, although I'm not familiar with the routing of the hoses on the 6-cylinder. Once you do that, I agree with ca2014mp2 that you'll want to re-bleed the system.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:15 PM

I know EXACTLY which hoses were replaced; it was all the 'up-front' hoses....nothing under the intake manifold or to do with the heater was replaced. So maybe I mis-spoke when I said 'complete' overhaul - they did stat/housing/wp/fan & clutch/radiator.

I've been bleeding this thing on/off for the past few days, I never looked at this hoses the mechanic is speaking about....never spotted any leakage there but granted I was not perusing that area in detail. If this is where the leak is, it must be VERY small/slight as I've watched the coolant level like a hawk. In theory I think this is not their responsibility to repair at no cost as they did not touch this hose as part of their work several weeks ago.

I think I will hitch a ride and go see this and have a chat with the shop owner; I've never replaced that particular hose on an M-52 but as I recall unless the intake needs to be removed it should be pretty simple to do....maybe I'm incorrect on that?

Thanks/Bill
Old 03-22-2016, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: E39 2000 528ITA
Wow Bill you seem upset. If you know all the hoses that were replaced then you know there are others that need it too. Big leak or small lets air in as it cools. I'm thinking that and saying that if you just did the front and now the TB hoses are shot you had better look at your heater hoses too...
On the TB yes it's easy but takes a little to get too 200 is about right for cost.

Production FROM : 1998/09/01 TO : 1999/08/31
Old 03-22-2016, 03:12 PM

Yeah was it surprised at $277 for that one hose. I visited the shop, spoke to the owner- so the price is really not just the hose R&R, it's also his 'diagnostic' time to pressure test and so forth on the system. Still seems bit pricey to me but I gave him go-ahead. After re-explaining the details of my car only overheat very slightly when stationary he said he'll install aux can switch that will bring on the fan at slightly lower temperature. He said head gaskets failing are not unusual on higher mileage motors like mine....and that they can present as very small leakage for many months before a real problem is seen. I have to presume he's more knowledgable on this than I am; at the same time the car was comp/leak down tested in January with solid results.
Yes, I think next project is replacement of all the original hoses (heater, etc) that have seen 18 years of heat. Makes sense if I want to reliably drive towards 300K with this car.
Thanks/Bill
Old 03-22-2016, 03:14 PM

And oh yes...there was in fact some small signs of coolant leakage where that hose connects to nipple on cars head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70365BE9-61D5-4C07-8A32-84C44DD4D6BA.png
Views:	34
Size:	489.3 KB
ID:	555830  

Last edited by Wgosma; 03-22-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Older than old school

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 k75s
Good luck. You might just have him replace the hose, deferring the pressure test until you drive it around to see if it still overheats.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
Good luck. You might just have him replace the hose, deferring the pressure test until you drive it around to see if it still overheats.
Hi Bob,
After visiting the shop, talking to the owner, etc. I decided to let them continue the work - I took the car in there and requested them to evaluate for 'intermittiment' overheat so in the process they located a leak point; it seemed to me it would not make sense to say 'repair the hose leak and give me the car back, done'; I do want the thing pressure tested for leaks, etc. One never knows for certain if their prices are inflated, etc. but I've done business here for few years and they do reputible work and stand behind it.
Hopefully car is done tomorrow and they find no issues aside from this small leak point.

I do think I need to consider replacing all the original rubber hoses in the system as most of what's in the car is 18 years old.

Thanks/Bill
Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
How many miles in your car?

My car's cooling system was overhauled at 90K, I am at 160K now.
This summer I plan to replace all "small hoses":
- 2 hoses feeding the throttle body
- Rear hose from engine ---> firewall
- Hoses related to the heater valves.

160K seems to be the mileage at which the small hoses go...

PS: I wrote a CCV, ICV etc. DIY back in 2009, you can see the photos of the hoses feeding the throttle body in the thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379225
Old 03-22-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
How many miles in your car?

My car's cooling system was overhauled at 90K, I am at 160K now.
This summer I plan to replace all "small hoses":
- 2 hoses feeding the throttle body
- Rear hose from engine ---> firewall
- Hoses related to the heater valves.

160K seems to be the mileage at which the small hoses go...

PS: I wrote a CCV, ICV etc. DIY back in 2009, you can see the photos of the hoses feeding the throttle body in the thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379225
CN: I just a hour or so ago read your DIY....excellent work on that as you seem to always do!

211K on my car - aside from the 'front end' cooling hoses as I mentioned earlier ALL the other hoses - cooling/heating related and vac lines are the original on the car, so - it would seem with this small leak on this one hose I've awakened to the fact I just stated and replacing these other hoses at this stage seems to make good sense if I want to hit my goal of near 300K before I call it quits on the car.

Darn car just runs great...the only codes it's thrown in the near 8 years I've owned it is when an 02 sensor crapped out 2 years ago - actually pretty amazing.

btw, this lower actuation temp. aux fan temp switch is going to be installed....any experience with one of these?

Upgrade Notice: The original temp switches are set at relatively high temperatures. Bavarian Autosport offers lower temp switches that will turn the fan on at a lower temperature (to help prevent runaway overheating), for most applications. This is a good idea even if your original switches do eventually turn the auxiliary fan on.

Bill

Last edited by Wgosma; 03-22-2016 at 10:24 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search