Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325I
Exclamation 2006 325i recall for engine bolts

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Thank you for your Vehicle Safety Complaint

Your Complaint Information has been successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation Number (ODI Number) is: 10425620.
Your Complaint will be available within 72 hours at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/.
An acknowledgement was sent to PETERHBREWSTER@YAHOO.COM

RECALLS -- Sign up for email or RSS feed alerts
If you want to be notified if your vehicle, child seat or tires has a recall, sign up for email alerts or RSS Feeds.
1. Vehicle Information
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):WBAVB13566KX41826 Make / Model / Year:BMW 3 SERIES 2006
2. Incident Information
Approximate Incident Date:09/09/2011Failure Mileage:80,393Speed:0 (mph)Failed Component(s):EngineFire:NoCrash:NoPersons Injuredeaths:
Description:
There is a clear manufacturer defect concerning the aluminum bolts associated with the valve cover gasket on the BMW 2006 325I's. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received several complaints regarding this manufacturer defect. The aluminum bolts have been redesigned since discovering the manufacturer defect. BMWNA have had NUMEROUS service issues related to these defective aluminum bolts. They have all openly admitted that the bolts in question were defective in nature and production, and that the bolts have been redesigned to avoid future failures. Some of these complaints included, and resulted in, vehicles leaking oil in the engine area causing fires in the vehicle. The defective bolts pose a serious potential risk to the safety of the owners of these vehicles, as well as to other drivers who share the roadway with them. It is my strong belief that this type of public safety risk cannot go on any further without proper intervention from the governmental agencies we employ as taxpayers. I respectfully request that BMW North America issue a voluntary recall of the BMW 2006 325I's affected by this manufacturer defect. I am not privy to what constitutes a vehicle's defective components to reach a "RECALL STATUS". I have discovered that BMW of North America is keenly aware of the defective aluminum bolts, and has issued internal memos to their staff called "Technical Service Bulletins" (TSB) to forewarn dealerships of this manufacturer defect, and the steps to remedy the issue. I have requested this information from BMW of North America, as well as several dealerships; and I was refused. I have diligently maintained my vehicle as prescribed by the service manuals, as well as the on board computer in the vehicle. My contention is extremely clear; the aluminum bolts are a MANUFACTURER DEFECT! Fix them ALL at no cost to the consumer.
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOODGUY503 View Post
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Thank you for your Vehicle Safety Complaint

Your Complaint Information has been successfully submitted.
Your Confirmation Number (ODI Number) is: 10425620.
Your Complaint will be available within 72 hours at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/.
An acknowledgement was sent to PETERHBREWSTER@YAHOO.COM

RECALLS -- Sign up for email or RSS feed alerts
If you want to be notified if your vehicle, child seat or tires has a recall, sign up for email alerts or RSS Feeds.
1. Vehicle Information
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):WBAVB13566KX41826 Make / Model / Year:BMW 3 SERIES 2006
2. Incident Information
Approximate Incident Date:09/09/2011Failure Mileage:80,393Speed:0 (mph)Failed Component(s):EngineFire:NoCrash:NoPersons Injuredeaths:
Description:
There is a clear manufacturer defect concerning the aluminum bolts associated with the valve cover gasket on the BMW 2006 325I's. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received several complaints regarding this manufacturer defect. The aluminum bolts have been redesigned since discovering the manufacturer defect. BMWNA have had NUMEROUS service issues related to these defective aluminum bolts. They have all openly admitted that the bolts in question were defective in nature and production, and that the bolts have been redesigned to avoid future failures. Some of these complaints included, and resulted in, vehicles leaking oil in the engine area causing fires in the vehicle. The defective bolts pose a serious potential risk to the safety of the owners of these vehicles, as well as to other drivers who share the roadway with them. It is my strong belief that this type of public safety risk cannot go on any further without proper intervention from the governmental agencies we employ as taxpayers. I respectfully request that BMW North America issue a voluntary recall of the BMW 2006 325I's affected by this manufacturer defect. I am not privy to what constitutes a vehicle's defective components to reach a "RECALL STATUS". I have discovered that BMW of North America is keenly aware of the defective aluminum bolts, and has issued internal memos to their staff called "Technical Service Bulletins" (TSB) to forewarn dealerships of this manufacturer defect, and the steps to remedy the issue. I have requested this information from BMW of North America, as well as several dealerships; and I was refused. I have diligently maintained my vehicle as prescribed by the service manuals, as well as the on board computer in the vehicle. My contention is extremely clear; the aluminum bolts are a MANUFACTURER DEFECT! Fix them ALL at no cost to the consumer.
What we see is a copy of your complaint to NHTSA's consumer complaint database, so why did you create a misleading thread title...as there is no recall for the issue you describe?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325I
was not trying to mislead...

I tried to leave a thread that helped to lead people to initiate a recall - if I caused a misunderstanding then I apologize. My post is a copy of my complaint - plain and simple.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOODGUY503 View Post
I tried to leave a thread that helped to lead people to initiate a recall - if I caused a misunderstanding then I apologize. My post is a copy of my complaint - plain and simple.
Understood. Having noted the complaints about this problem and expense of fixing it, I can understand the frustration.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA