Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
2-Way Remote Start. Trying to decide on one

I'm in the market for a 2-way remote start, maybe even that iPhone remote start as well if it's not too much more. I wanted to see what your guys thoughts on the systems were.

I found compustar and viper which were both around $400 installed with a 2way communicator. The smartstart (viper iphone app) would be an extra $250. Drone (compustar iphone app) seems to be way more expensive at around $1000 installed.

Any good recommendations or info on remote starts? I would probably want to either tie it into my current alarm system or just get an aftermarket alarm which would cost more but I want everything to work off the same remote.

Any info is appreciated! I plan to get this somewhat soon after I make up my mind. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitemyst View Post
I'm in the market for a 2-way remote start, maybe even that iPhone remote start as well if it's not too much more. I wanted to see what your guys thoughts on the systems were.

I found compustar and viper which were both around $400 installed with a 2way communicator. The smartstart (viper iphone app) would be an extra $250. Drone (compustar iphone app) seems to be way more expensive at around $1000 installed.

Any good recommendations or info on remote starts? I would probably want to either tie it into my current alarm system or just get an aftermarket alarm which would cost more but I want everything to work off the same remote.

Any info is appreciated! I plan to get this somewhat soon after I make up my mind. Thanks.
BMW doesn't recommend remote starters. If you do decide to put one in anyway make sure it is compatible with BMW electronics,If not your car will not go into the sleep mode there fore creating battery drain. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 09-18-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
I know it's probably not recommended but it's really nice to have in the winter. Sitting in a freezing cold car really sucks especially cold leather. What exactly do you mean by sleep mode? I never heard of that before.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
I know it's probably not recommended but it's really nice to have in the winter. Sitting in a freezing cold car really sucks especially cold leather. What exactly do you mean by sleep mode? I never heard of that before.
When all your electronics turn off so you don't have battery drain. If you have a manual it would pay to read it for further information. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: Caddy
Quote:

I know this was last yer but I was just wondering what you decided on. I want to get the viper smartstart installed on a 2010 535xi but wanted to know if any other BMW has done it.
Thanks