Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered Abuser

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Gran Turismo
Check your garage height FIRST!

I had two X5 diesel's and opened the electric liftgate with no problem, but after I purchased a 550GT my son hit the large liftgate button and it hit my garage door! (OUCH!)

It broke half of the indoor handle right off and left two little scratches in my new baby.

**sniff-sniff**

No...that's alright...I'll be OK.

**sniff-sniff**

Just thought I could save others from the same fate by mentioning it here.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
Sorry to hear that, i feel your pain.

There's a setting in idrive hat allows you to limit how far the rear hatch opens. Both in the GT and the X5.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered Abuser

True, the worst part is that I'm a CA and it is my job to point that out to new owners! I just never thought the liftgate height on this 550GT at max would be higher than the X5 at max.

Live and learn I guess.

I will tell you that I'm 6'2" and if I use the iDrive to lower the height I'm liable to smack my noggin on the inside lip.

That's one BIG liftback!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
yeah, now thinking about it, the back is much more raked on the GT than the X, so yes it's probably a bigger hatch than the one on the X5. I had one on loan for a while (while the dealer fixed the rear hatch on the X5, incidentally) and never noticed it/hit anything, but my garage ceilling is pretty tall.

That week with the GT is what sold me on it.

Enjoy driving it and forget about the rest, it's what it's made for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignHere View Post
True, the worst part is that I'm a CA and it is my job to point that out to new owners! I just never thought the liftgate height on this 550GT at max would be higher than the X5 at max.

Live and learn I guess.

I will tell you that I'm 6'2" and if I use the iDrive to lower the height I'm liable to smack my noggin on the inside lip.

That's one BIG liftback!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STBimmer View Post
yeah, now thinking about it, the back is much more raked on the GT than the X, so yes it's probably a bigger hatch than the one on the X5. I had one on loan for a while (while the dealer fixed the rear hatch on the X5, incidentally) and never noticed it/hit anything, but my garage ceilling is pretty tall.

That week with the GT is what sold me on it.

Enjoy driving it and forget about the rest, it's what it's made for.
My CA was out of the office when I first took delivery of my GT. His co-worker the bone head, opened the big hatch and it impacted one of the ceiling pipes in the dealership garage. I was nice - at first - then I let him have it,,,,everyone heard me that day including the GM. Needless to say they got it sorted.

I was nice until he acted like it was no big deal, slightly chipped/scratched the paint. They took the car to detail immediately to buff and touch up the paint.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 09-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
I had the same issue. chipped a bit of paint from the tip of the hatch. I think a dab of touch up paint should work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chip.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	293598  
Old 09-19-2011, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: S430
When I had the clear bra put on my car I had them put a strip on the lip of the trunk. This has help prevent some dings in my garage.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered Abuser

CC, that's a great idea! Mike, I hope you're better with touch-up paint than I am. I always start real small and then it turns out to be a blob the size of a quarter and draws my eye to it like a magnet. Less it more with touch-up paint.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
ouch! the clear bra idea is great -- i may do that. luckily wife has already set the height to annoyingly low (i think middle setting). tempted to have the garage door track redone so I can get some extra height . . .

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
Can you move the car further into the garage? Will that help? My garage door becomes horizontal quite high, and the car rear end just makes it into the space so the trunk lid is positioned where the door is about 6.5 feet high and vertical.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
I choose to whack my head rather than chance scratching the GT's. One faces in and one faces out so both have their liftbacks height reduced a bit. The 2010 to clear the garage door and the 2011 to clear the man cave signs all over the garage. I found the perfect parking spot where the liftgate would open fully...but if I were several inches off...I'd be really upset as the hatch would hit. PLUS, think about underground parking if you ever go there. That low clearance! Full opening of the liftgate into the concrete above! OUCH!!!! Maybe I'll continue wearing hats on my battered noggin!