Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Rob&Tayna Rob&Tayna is offline
Registered User
Location: Tx
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 550i GT/535i
powercoating BMW Wheels

Is it safe to powdercoat BMW forged wheels?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 AM
bmwgroup bmwgroup is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: Beemer
You can powdercoat any wheels
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM
qtr2six qtr2six is offline
Registered User
Location: Indy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 545i
If you are going to put the money out to powder coat them, why not try to paint them first? If you don't like how it turns out you are out all of a couple bucks for paint and were planning to powder coat anyway.

I'm using my old rims as winter wheels...



Clean the rim of all brake dust and debris really well.

I used a super heavy duty cleaner. I used a 400 grit sandpaper all over the rims, then 600, 800, 1000, 1500. The sanding is what seemed to suck most for me. You need to get all of your clear coat off and keep it as smooth as possible.

Clean the rims again and let them dry.

Tape up the rims.

Spray a light coat of paint on the rims. I started with the backs of my rims so that I wasn't flipping the good side down when moving to the fronts.

Let the tire sit to dry tacky. Add another coat. Wait and do another. I put down 3 coats of flat black (didn't like the look) and then added 3 coats of glossy black.

Let dry, untape and mount. The entire process took me around 4 hours.



Finished product...

__________________

Last edited by qtr2six; 10-04-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
E92-Lighting's Avatar
E92-Lighting E92-Lighting is offline
info@e92-lighting.com
Location: Walnut CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,593
Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
i know a few local shops that can do it for you with flawless results
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Space grau 550i Space grau 550i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 186
Mein Auto: E60 550i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtr2six View Post
If you are going to put the money out to powder coat them, why not try to paint them first? If you don't like how it turns out you are out all of a couple bucks for paint and were planning to powder coat anyway.

I'm using my old rims as winter wheels...



Clean the rim of all brake dust and debris really well.

I used a super heavy duty cleaner. I used a 400 grit sandpaper all over the rims, then 600, 800, 1000, 1500. The sanding is what seemed to suck most for me. You need to get all of your clear coat off and keep it as smooth as possible.

Clean the rims again and let them dry.

Tape up the rims.

Spray a light coat of paint on the rims. I started with the backs of my rims so that I wasn't flipping the good side down when moving to the fronts.

Let the tire sit to dry tacky. Add another coat. Wait and do another. I put down 3 coats of flat black (didn't like the look) and then added 3 coats of glossy black.

Let dry, untape and mount. The entire process took me around 4 hours.



Finished product...

Nice write upWheels came out good. I picked up some 124's for the winter, and I'm thinking about spraying them flat black.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2011, 02:14 PM
taukappa taukappa is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '07 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtr2six View Post
If you are going to put the money out to powder coat them, why not try to paint them first? If you don't like how it turns out you are out all of a couple bucks for paint and were planning to powder coat anyway.

I'm using my old rims as winter wheels...



Clean the rim of all brake dust and debris really well.

I used a super heavy duty cleaner. I used a 400 grit sandpaper all over the rims, then 600, 800, 1000, 1500. The sanding is what seemed to suck most for me. You need to get all of your clear coat off and keep it as smooth as possible.

Clean the rims again and let them dry.

Tape up the rims.

Spray a light coat of paint on the rims. I started with the backs of my rims so that I wasn't flipping the good side down when moving to the fronts.

Let the tire sit to dry tacky. Add another coat. Wait and do another. I put down 3 coats of flat black (didn't like the look) and then added 3 coats of glossy black.

Let dry, untape and mount. The entire process took me around 4 hours.



Finished product...

I'm thinking of performing the same procedure. A few questions...

1) What if I skip the sand papering? Do you think the results will be all that different?

2) Did you use just a garden variety spray paint from a can?

3) I have run flats, so my 335i didn't come with a jack (I think). How'd you get the wheels off? If I do a really good tape job, couldn't I just spray them while they're still on the car?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Luvmyride Luvmyride is offline
Registered User
Location: Southern IN
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taukappa View Post
I'm thinking of performing the same procedure. A few questions...

1) What if I skip the sand papering? Do you think the results will be all that different?

2) Did you use just a garden variety spray paint from a can?

3) I have run flats, so my 335i didn't come with a jack (I think). How'd you get the wheels off? If I do a really good tape job, couldn't I just spray them while they're still on the car?

1) You need to get the clear coat off the wheels to make it have good adhesion.

2) yes, you can get good results from a "rattle can", if you take the proper pre-finish steps (see above)

3) he had another set of wheels for daily use. These were for Winter. You can't paint the barrels, or prep and clean the wheels properly, with them on the car.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Skim Milk's Avatar
Skim Milk Skim Milk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Richmond VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 263
Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taukappa View Post
I'm thinking of performing the same procedure. A few questions...

1) What if I skip the sand papering? Do you think the results will be all that different?

2) Did you use just a garden variety spray paint from a can?

3) I have run flats, so my 335i didn't come with a jack (I think). How'd you get the wheels off? If I do a really good tape job, couldn't I just spray them while they're still on the car?

I know its been a few days on this thread but just wanted to warn you if you haven't already attempted. Be carfull painting wheels on or even near your car. Overspray can be a pain and it can travel pretty far. It would benifit you greaty to buy or barrow a jack if you really don't have one.

Do BMW's with run flats really not come with a jack?
__________________
2004 E60 with M54B30 - Manual Trans - Winter Package - 19" Style 101 BBS Wheels

Last edited by Skim Milk; 10-17-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM
taukappa taukappa is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '07 335i
Thanks for the replies...

No, no jack, spare tire or lug wrench. That's why they give you heavy run-flats. I guess without the extra gear it keeps the vehicles weight down.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Skim Milk's Avatar
Skim Milk Skim Milk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Richmond VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 263
Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taukappa View Post
No, no jack, spare tire or lug wrench. That's why they give you heavy run-flats. I guess without the extra gear it keeps the vehicles weight down.
Very interesting... what is in that location... storage?

Thanks for the info
__________________
2004 E60 with M54B30 - Manual Trans - Winter Package - 19" Style 101 BBS Wheels
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM
taukappa taukappa is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: '07 335i
Yeah, exactly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms