Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-18-2011, 11:31 PM
subvino subvino is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas City, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3 Wht/Terracott
535i AWD 2008 w/high mileage-thinking about buying??

Pardon my lack of knowledge on this vehicle, but I believe it's a 535i AWD station wagon 2008 with 118K miles. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow and just wanting your input. It's a one owner and has car fax report on it and all BMW service records. Owner had no kids and apparently it's in excellent condition. He leased it originally then purchased it. He did a lot of traveling as a salesman (obviously). Small car dealer owns it after it was traded in at a local Lexus dealership. Lexus wouldn't keep it because it's mileage was over 100K.

Thinking about selling my 2005 Honda Odyssey EXL minivan with 70K miles on it and getting this. I can't find much info on this car, but I am doing a ton of internet research tonight.

Any thoughts? He's asking $19,900.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Nube1kenobi's Avatar
Nube1kenobi Nube1kenobi is offline
U of Dawgs
Location: The Sound of Zundfolge
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,362
Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 SAV
Post the service record.
__________________

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 AM
nam11b nam11b is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern Maryland
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I would not even consider it. Chances are you will have fuel pump issues at some point and that warranty expires at 120k. Probably be a $2k bill when needed.
__________________
2008 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic. Sport, Premium, PDC, CWP, NAV, HUD, lane departure, active cruise, heated rear seats, shades, L7, and comfort access.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 AM
235301 235301 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milwaukee
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
Mein Auto: 06 525xi Monaco Blue
Seems like a really risky move to go after this car. The Honda minivan, albeit a completely different car will provide a much, much more reliable drive for you. Consider that the minivan has years and years of reliable operation left in it. The BMW? It's likely getting ready to kick off some major repairs. And as the other poster pointed out, due to the mileage the HPFP warranty is gone. For a few thousand more you can find a much lower mileage BMW that will get a you a few years of reliable service. This one seems like a ticking time bomb. Think of it this way: fairly high probability that at this mileage you are looking at $2-4k in repair bills in the next couple of years. Why not pull that money forward and get a much lower mileage vehicle. Other posters here can argue the probability of needing that magnitude of repair dollars.

And if you are looking for a reliable European family hauler then I would switch gears to a Volvo, something like an XC70. For whatever reason, a Volvo's value drops like a stone in it's first three years and they can be had very cheaply. I know it isn't the same driving experience as a BMW, but if you want something that you or your spouse can jump in day after day and haul kids/pets/whatever around, it's hard to beat a Volvo. Volvos have their share of problems(mainly electrical) but compared to BMW they are quality stars.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,010
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
I would look at the service history. Some things to consider, in any car over 100K, you probably have to consider replacing all of the shocks etc. sooner or later. With the twin turbo engine, it could be that the turbos might need to be replaced too. Given the mileage, I would expect at least $1,000-$2,000 or more a year in repair/maintenance.

Also if you are that keen on getting a BMW - consider a 2007 530 xit.
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member

Last edited by Munich77; 09-19-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,114
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by subvino View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge on this vehicle, but I believe it's a 535i AWD station wagon 2008 with 118K miles. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow and just wanting your input. It's a one owner and has car fax report on it and all BMW service records. Owner had no kids and apparently it's in excellent condition. He leased it originally then purchased it. He did a lot of traveling as a salesman (obviously). Small car dealer owns it after it was traded in at a local Lexus dealership. Lexus wouldn't keep it because it's mileage was over 100K.

Thinking about selling my 2005 Honda Odyssey EXL minivan with 70K miles on it and getting this. I can't find much info on this car, but I am doing a ton of internet research tonight.

Any thoughts? He's asking $19,900.
I wouldn't worry too much on HPFP, that part is not expensive and it's not labor intensive.

Things you need to worry about***********:
1) turbos, with extended oil change combine with no proper cool-down, the bearing may be coked, you need dignostic tools to check for boost then rattle for any problem mechanically with them.
2) transmission, well ZF is not very well know for sturdines most mechanic give it's lifetime to be about 150k-miles.
3) xfer case since it's AWD
4) engine health, carbon build up is known for DI (direct injection engine), oil leaks is well known in BMW, and cooling systems overhaul at this mileage is a must.

At the end, if you are handy or willing to set aside emergency funds for repair take this car to specialize BMW mechanic to get it check, else I'll keep looking.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,010
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much on HPFP, that part is not expensive and it's not labor intensive.

Things you need to worry about***********:
1) turbos, with extended oil change combine with no proper cool-down, the bearing may be coked, you need dignostic tools to check for boost then rattle for any problem mechanically with them.
2) transmission, well ZF is not very well know for sturdines most mechanic give it's lifetime to be about 150k-miles.
3) xfer case since it's AWD
4) engine health, carbon build up is known for DI (direct injection engine), oil leaks is well known in BMW, and cooling systems overhaul at this mileage is a must.

At the end, if you are handy or willing to set aside emergency funds for repair take this car to specialize BMW mechanic to get it check, else I'll keep looking.
Also since this is a wagon - what about clogged sun roof drains?

When my car hits that mileage, I will be considering selling it.
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 PM
2chill's Avatar
2chill 2chill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 906
Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
I don't understand why you would want to get rid of a vehicle with 70K miles and replace it with one that has 118K. It should be the other way around....
As others have pointed out to you, I would pass on this car also. Too many miles and it's over priced. Why do you think the previous owner got rid of it?
Either save your money and keep your more reliable Honda or buy a BMW with way less mileage.
__________________

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.

Last edited by 2chill; 09-19-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-19-2011, 05:35 PM
subvino subvino is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas City, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3 Wht/Terracott
The N.A.D.A on it is priced at $31k.

The Transfer case is getting replaced tomorrow.

I have personally spoken with the technician manager at our local BMW that has known this car and it's owner from day one. He said everything is ok with the car and all work has been done on it by BMW.

As a full time college student right now, this is all I can afford for now. Believe me, I will be getting a newer one eventually if I fall in love with this one! I am a German engineering type of girl. So why would I buy this instead of keeping my Honda?....Because nothing drives like a Bimmer, and this momma needs some excitement in her life!

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited by subvino; 09-19-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
phlfly's Avatar
phlfly phlfly is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Leesburg, VA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,416
Mein Auto: 07' 550i
Try to buy after market warranty from credit union at least for couple years. It will safe you some money.
__________________


BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Nube1kenobi's Avatar
Nube1kenobi Nube1kenobi is offline
U of Dawgs
Location: The Sound of Zundfolge
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,362
Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 SAV
Good luck!
__________________

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
TheViolentVicar's Avatar
TheViolentVicar TheViolentVicar is offline
Plate O' Shrimp
Location: Vancouver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 326
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi Wagon
I have three guiding principles:

1. It's only money;
2. Never bet what you can't afford to lose; and,
3. A fool and her money are worth two in the bush.

I think only the first two are relevant.

Consider that when things go wrong in a BMW (which, my local shuttle driver advises, stands for Break My Wallet) they often go wrong big. Consider that those telling you the car is great have an interest in you buying it. Consider that it drives like nothing else. If that calculus works out to "buy" for you, then do it and enjoy. It is only money.
__________________
Pax vobiscum.

2008 535xi Estate | Deep Sea Blue Metallic | Bamboo Anthracite | Sexy Charcoal Interior Except for Posh-Spice-Cleavage-Colored Comfort Seats | Belly Button Lint | Magic Don't Need No Key Package | Get Very Bad Directions Package | Intra-Uterine Bass Drum | Doesn't Work With Most Phones Package | Fila Brasileiro Snot All Over Rear Windows | Heated This, That, and the Other | Very Considerate Headlights | White-Knuckled-Passenger Package | JB4 |
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
mujjuman mujjuman is offline
tappa tappa toit
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,676
Mein Auto: hoopty
I would advise against a 535 and recommend a 528 for a college student. Much more reliable.
__________________
mujjuman
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
BMWFAN275 BMWFAN275 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stamford, CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 586
Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
I for one am just delighted to hear of an N54 with 118k on the clock and in sellable condition. I am hopeful she will post the service records so we can see what it took to get that far. That being said, I would recommend one of the more practical products from the US or Japan to get through school.
__________________
2009 535i Sport, NAV, CWP, SAT, IPOD
2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2012 Volkswagen Jetta GLI
2006 Honda Accord EX-L
Retired fleet:
2013 Auid A5 Cabrio 2.0T (troubles, troubles)
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 (My snow tires)
2007 530xi
2004 Jaguar XJ8
2006 Saab 93 2.0T unfixable glitches, bye bye
1999 BMW 528i Touring
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
kmorgan_260 kmorgan_260 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Salem, WV
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 745
Mein Auto: 1997 528i
My understanding on the HPFP is that since it was recalled you can take it in at any time and have it replaced with one of a new design free of charge. I did that on mine at 60K miles. I would bet it has already been done on this one since it is very unlikely that the original pump lasted this long. Otherwise I say go for it. You might even try to negotiate with the dealer and he may come down a couple more thousand given the high mileage. I love my N54 and at 75K have had no problems. I drove a 328 for a few days when mine was at the dealer for service and couldn't wait to get my 335 back so wouldn't necessarily recommend the 528 over the 535. This car is however a completely different animal than a minivan so I wouldn't consider it a suitable replacement for your Honda. I do believe that the BMW sedans are wonderful machines and would recommend them highly. Good luck.
__________________

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM
NoQuarter's Avatar
NoQuarter NoQuarter is offline
Drink E85 & inject Meth
Location: Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 839
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by subvino View Post
The N.A.D.A on it is priced at $31k.
That $20k price might be OK but don't believe for a minute that it is supposed to be worth $31k.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Kamdog's Avatar
Kamdog Kamdog is offline
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,848
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam11b View Post
I would not even consider it. Chances are you will have fuel pump issues at some point and that warranty expires at 120k. Probably be a $2k bill when needed.
This.

Even if the chances are reduced if the guy took it in for a recall.
__________________

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Kamdog's Avatar
Kamdog Kamdog is offline
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,848
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 View Post
My understanding on the HPFP is that since it was recalled you can take it in at any time and have it replaced with one of a new design free of charge. I did that on mine at 60K miles. I would bet it has already been done on this one since it is very unlikely that the original pump lasted this long. Otherwise I say go for it. You might even try to negotiate with the dealer and he may come down a couple more thousand given the high mileage. I love my N54 and at 75K have had no problems. I drove a 328 for a few days when mine was at the dealer for service and couldn't wait to get my 335 back so wouldn't necessarily recommend the 528 over the 535. This car is however a completely different animal than a minivan so I wouldn't consider it a suitable replacement for your Honda. I do believe that the BMW sedans are wonderful machines and would recommend them highly. Good luck.
The extended warranty is 10 years/ 120K miles.
__________________

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 AM
hooch999 hooch999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by subvino View Post
The N.A.D.A on it is priced at $31k.
Price it at edmunds.com instead, $31k for a dying car is nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subvino View Post
.Because nothing drives like a Bimmer, and this momma needs some excitement in her life!
I can assure you there are lots of cars out there which drive better than this bimmer, cheaper, more reliable and more technologically advanced - Infiniti comes to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM
subvino subvino is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas City, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3 Wht/Terracott
Just coming back with an update. Sold our van for good money on craiglist. Purchased a X3 yesterday with 36k miles for $24,250. We also bought an extended warranty to 100k or 5 years. It's white with terra cotta leather interior. Payment is less than $200 for 4 years. We will probably pay it off way sooner. Feels weird to have a car payment again after 4 years of not having one.


Thanks for all your help. Passing on the wagon was the right choice.

Last edited by subvino; 10-19-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,010
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Subvino - glad to hear that you have joined the BMW-fold. The high mileage 535xi would have been trouble sooner or later. Hoping that you will have many trouble free miles with your X3.
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 AM
adjmcloon's Avatar
adjmcloon adjmcloon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 560
Mein Auto: '99 528iT sport
Congrats, post up some pics!
__________________
2001 530i tiAg sport (sold)
2002 540iA sport (sold)
2006 330i sport (sold)
2008 535i-6 sport (sold)
1999 528iT sport (sold)
2002 525iT alpine sport
1990 325i sedan
1990 325is coupe
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 AM
bkun bkun is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 190
Mein Auto: BMW 528xi - 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by subvino View Post
Just coming back with an update. Sold our van for good money on craiglist. Purchased a X3 yesterday with 36k miles for $24,250. We also bought an extended warranty to 100k or 5 years. It's white with terra cotta leather interior. Payment is less than $200 for 4 years. We will probably pay it off way sooner. Feels weird to have a car payment again after 4 years of not having one.


Thanks for all your help. Passing on the wagon was the right choice.
Which year ?
__________________
2008 BMW 528xi space gray, Premium, Cold Weather Package.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM
subvino subvino is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas City, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3 Wht/Terracott
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkun View Post
Which year ?
Oops, forgot that. 2008.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
subvino subvino is offline
Registered User
Location: Kansas City, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3 Wht/Terracott
HOME SWEET HOME:

















FULL ALBUM HERE: http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...08%20X3%20BMW/

Last edited by subvino; 10-19-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms