Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530i 2002
Question Battery Drain - Door Sensor ?

Hello,

Since the weather got colder battery drain problems from last year are back. Brand new battery and it keeps draining it.

This morning right after driving it for a while. Locked it and 10mins later went to the car for something. Surprisingly, the interior lights were on and the doors unlocked. I stayed for couple of minutes looking at the car, but the lights didn't go off.

The door steps lights were on as well.

I've tried first to lock the car but nothing happened when pressing the lock button as like it was locked already. I "unlocked" it and lock it again and the lights went off.

Could it be some fault door sensor or ... ?

Additionally, when this happens when I start the car the emergency lights are flashing.

p.s Battery charging is normal.

Thank you
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Could it be bad Door Actuator causing this ? Or the module controlling them ? It unlocks all doors. Alarm remain armed.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Measure the overnight battery voltage. S/b 12.5+.

Short, slow trips, with heater and rear defroster on? Same pattern as last winter?

p.s Battery charging is normal. What do you mean?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
Measure the overnight battery voltage. S/b 12.5+.

Short, slow trips, with heater and rear defroster on? Same pattern as last winter?

p.s Battery charging is normal. What do you mean?

Actually I was suspecting the rear window defroster. It happens to be connected.

It is rear window defroster, heating the seats and Lights on, Music amplifier, and Heater.

I don't remember the actual charging values but when I checked them they were in normal range.

The weird thing is that it unlocks the doors (all of them) and turns on the interior lights all of them including door steps lights.

I am able to start the car with no problem if I react in less than 3-4 hours after this happens. So the battery holds it real well with all interior lights on.

main thing is: Unlocks all doors and interior lights start and don't stop.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 PM

I will measure the battery voltage tomorrow morning before starting it for sure.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Typing /parasitic or /drain f3 in the bestlinks nets the procedure for tracking it down (most often it's the FSU though)...
- How to test a BMW battery & alternator (1) & the most often recommended diagnostic procedure to test for overnight parasitic battery drain (1) & one user's attempt to locate, describe, and photograph all fuses and relays in the BMW E39 with a picture of every fuse & relay (1) & how to choose a good aftermarket battery (1) and a simple battery replacement DIY (1) & Cn90's explanation of where to get alternator rebuild parts (1) & how to troubleshoot a bad FSU final stage unit (1) and how to build a test jig for your FSR final stage resistor (1) & how to repair solder cracks in your blower motor resistor (1) & how to replace your HVAC blower motor control (1) (E46) & what FSU is the right one to buy based on user experiences (1)
Old 01-07-2015, 05:53 PM

I did disconect the fsu previously - didnt help.

My main concern is why the car unlock itself a little bit after i park it. Also why when it unlocks itself it turns on all interior lights and doesnt shut them off?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilian007 View Post
why the car unlock itself a little bit after i park it. Also why when it unlocks itself it turns on all interior lights and doesnt shut them off?
Central locking is affected by the wiring loom, but not the lights, so, maybe this is a wild goose chase, but, just in case, check your trunk wiring loom...
- How to diagnose & repair cracked, broken, or frayed BMW trunk loom wires causing all sorts of strange mischief (1)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:09 AM

Thank you blubee

Very weird electrical problems .. I guess years and extreme heat doesnt help. I will check the trunk loom and will report back if I find somethig.