Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Bmw tire ins at $1900 in ny

I was at my dealer today and they are no longer dealing with any tire and wheel insurance companies except BMW. The rate in NY for BMW went up almost 100% to $1,900 according to a new pricing memo.

I spoke to the president of Auto Knight a reputable insurance company and he is no longer covering BMW dealers on the east coast due to excess claims. Excess potholes and runflats have ruined it.

BMW insurance only lets you use OEM tires, and you can only replace a tire at a dealer. Thats a problem when you are out of state alot and/or when you choose to switch your tire preference.

Crazy

Last edited by dunccfp; 09-20-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:34 PM
fplanner2000 fplanner2000 is offline
Fplanner2000
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 183
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix Mpkge,etc; RRv
Anyone know what the "oem tires" are for summer and winter? I am dealing with this now, as I was not offered this coverage when I picked up my car new. I just discovered you can't get it unless new, so before I fight the battle to get the coverage after 400 clean miles, it seems like a good idea to know exactly what it does and doesn't cover.

If anyone has any firsthand experience with this warranty, please chime in. thanks.
__________________
_________________________________________________
550ix, Dark Graphite Metallic II, M-package, Dinan Stage 2, 20" wheels, conven pkge, cold weather pkge, Prem Pkge 2, Paddle Shifters, vent seat pkge, sport transm pkge, fold-dn rear seat, etc. Black Dakota Leather, Light Wood trim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM
jagu's Avatar
jagu jagu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,602
Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
At that price, I'd just self insure. Tires and wheels are not horribly expensive to fix or replace.
__________________

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
jazzyd jazzyd is offline
Registered User
Location: Mo
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 47
Mein Auto: 550i
I paid $850.00 for bmw tire insurance in nc
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Emilner Emilner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LI, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,316
Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
At that price, I'd just self insure. Tires and wheels are not horribly expensive to fix or replace.
Well, you would be screwed if you had to replace 8 tires in the first 6 months like I did. At $450 a pop it wouldn't be pretty....
__________________


2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:59 PM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Well, you would be screwed if you had to replace 8 tires in the first 6 months like I did. At $450 a pop it wouldn't be pretty....
THe tires have a warrantee, first 6 mos or 2/32's of treadware are covered. You paid for all those tires ??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 PM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyd View Post
I paid $850.00 for bmw tire insurance in nc
I paid $900 now it's $1900.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Emilner Emilner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LI, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,316
Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
THe tires have a warrantee, first 6 mos or 2/32's of treadware are covered. You paid for all those tires ??
God no, I have a warranty. If I went through 8 in the first winter, how many will I go through this year, next year etc. You would have been fine for the first 6 months, then what????
__________________


2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Diver624 Diver624 is offline
Diver624
Location: Long Island, New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
At that price, I'd just self insure. Tires and wheels are not horribly expensive to fix or replace.
Run flats can not be repaired and are over $400 to replace. If your tires are 18" your probably ok, if they're 19" you'll need the insurance if you live where the roads conditions suck. I'm in New York and I have replaced 3 tires in 3,000 miles and i try to be careful. The 19" goodyear LS2 tires are very, very prone to damage. Unfortunately this is the only All Season tire available in 245/40/19. It's a very bad situation that has made BMW's reputation suffer with many people including me.
__________________
2014 550ix Mineral White, Black
2013 X5 35i
Porsche 997 GT3
Porsche 993 Cab.
Porsche 996 Turbo (Ruf 550) gone but not forgotten
.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,211
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
I was offered a price of 1100 for 3 years @ a dealer in Chicago to pick up a 550.

I still feel like for the amount of bubbles and such we've seen its worth picking up but that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Crmgr Crmgr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brunswick Hills Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 475
Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Coverage at $1,900.00 in your area doesn't surprise me, given the number of claims owners have submitted due to the road conditions in the NY/NJ area. Insurance companies are in it to make a profit, something they apparently can't do with the number of claims and cost associated with replacing several LS2 tires and/or wheels. Guessing coverage will still be lower in areas of the country with fewer claims.

Winter is going to be interesting this year with more Sport/M-Sports on the road. Hopefully Goodyear has actually beefed up the construction on new tires with more being shipped to the US. There is still hope that Bridgestone will make their Gen 3 runflat in our size. I can see more owners switching over to non-run flats if the supply doesn't improve, myself included.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM
F10Joe F10Joe is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: F10
Just picked up my 535 last Thursday at Rallye. They were asking $1,800. I thought they were just trying to rip me off as many people on this forum were getting it much lower. It does make sense that the rates would increase for NY. I have the 18" tires. Hopefully I do not have many tire issues within the next three years.
__________________
Current:
2011 535I X-Drive - Dark Graphite Metallic II / Cinnamon Brown Dakota Leather / Premium I / Premium II
Former:
2008 E92 335xi / Titanium Silver / Coral Red / Cold Weather / Navi / Logic7
2004 Acura TL
2000 Acura TL
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
BobRBob's Avatar
BobRBob BobRBob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 585
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
With the 18" tires, I'd pass on the insurance and self-insure. I wish I had done that; I'd be up a grand if I had.
I'm not expecting any issues with the 18" tires.
__________________
Current BMW
2011 BMW 528i
Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats



Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
destro23 destro23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dirty Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 460
Mein Auto: 645 to 530 to 2011 528
you need an SUV if you drive in NYC... the potholes and streets are horrible... i've cracked 2 18" rims in the city. and 2 more in jersey.. imagine 20" 650 sport rims! lol
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-22-2011, 05:24 AM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Joe View Post
Just picked up my 535 last Thursday at Rallye. They were asking $1,800. I thought they were just trying to rip me off as many people on this forum were getting it much lower. It does make sense that the rates would increase for NY. I have the 18" tires. Hopefully I do not have many tire issues within the next three years.
When were they asking $1,800 ? When you ordered it or last weeK? The memo just came out
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
jagu's Avatar
jagu jagu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,602
Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Well, my feeling is that I would have to make claims of at least twice the cost of the warranty in order to feel good about buying it but I have never had that kind of bad experience with tires. So, I guess it depends on each individual's history.

$1900 is 2/3rds the price of a good comprehensive warranty policy that covers a whole lot more.
__________________

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.

Last edited by jagu; 09-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 AM
RH512 RH512 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 427
Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
Many different takes on the issue. Lease or buying, how long you're planning to keep it, where you're driving, and more...

For me, I skipped the insurance, at 300 miles for the first bubble on GY LS2 245/40-19. Let Goodyear buy me four Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted and balanced for the summer on the 351M wheels. I bought BMW 350M wheels and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's 245/45-18 for the winter. Better performance summer and winter. Mobility kit and spare/jack in the trunk.
I'm happy but understand that others may want a different approach.
__________________

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 AM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH512 View Post
Many different takes on the issue. Lease or buying, how long you're planning to keep it, where you're driving, and more...

For me, I skipped the insurance, at 300 miles for the first bubble on GY LS2 245/40-19. Let Goodyear buy me four Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted and balanced for the summer on the 351M wheels. I bought BMW 350M wheels and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's 245/45-18 for the winter. Better performance summer and winter. Mobility kit and spare/jack in the trunk.
I'm happy but understand that others may want a different approach.
How much did all that cost?? You could have gone to the Conti DWS's year round and used the RFT as a spare....I got a rim from tire rack for $70.

Last edited by dunccfp; 09-22-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
RH512 RH512 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 427
Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
How much did all that cost?? You could have gone to the Conti DWS's year round and used the RFT as a spare....I got a rim from tire rack for $70.
Could have but this is what I wanted. Looking for performance summer and winter.

BMW 350M wheels were $368 ea Pilot Alpin PA3 $275 ea plus mounting. Certainly could have gone to a cheaper set of wheels for the winter. Not saying my decisions were based on cost. Hope to keep the car a while.

Really don't mind changing wheels November and April.
Compact spare takes less room, and when pressed for space, just have the mobility kit - yes money for each of them but now I have what I want, only wish the compact spare went where the battery is...
__________________

2011 535i xDrive (week 11 build) Sophisto Grau, Black Dakota, ZAV, ZCW, ZCV, ZPP, ZMP, ZP2, 2TB, 610, 464, 465, 6NR, 5DL, de-badged, Black Grills, 3M clear bra, Gloss Black Fender Light Trim, Mud flaps, Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 on 350M winter
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH512 View Post
Could have but this is what I wanted. Looking for performance summer and winter.

BMW 350M wheels were $368 ea Pilot Alpin PA3 $275 ea plus mounting. Certainly could have gone to a cheaper set of wheels for the winter. Not saying my decisions were based on cost. Hope to keep the car a while.

Really don't mind changing wheels November and April.
Compact spare takes less room, and when pressed for space, just have the mobility kit - yes money for each of them but now I have what I want, only wish the compact spare went where the battery is...
Yea I hear you, I have a whole tire in my truck. Looks like the Flintstones in there.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
ssj ssj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
I was at my dealer today and they are no longer dealing with any tire and wheel insurance companies except BMW. The rate in NY for BMW went up almost 100% to $1,900 according to a new pricing memo.

I spoke to the president of Auto Knight a reputable insurance company and he is no longer covering BMW dealers on the east coast due to excess claims. Excess potholes and runflats have ruined it.

BMW insurance only lets you use OEM tires, and you can only replace a tire at a dealer. Thats a problem when you are out of state alot and/or when you choose to switch your tire preference.

Crazy
Did you find out what 3rd party T/W insurers are charging in NY?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-23-2011, 04:41 AM
dunccfp dunccfp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 486
Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj View Post
Did you find out what 3rd party T/W insurers are charging in NY?
Most were around $1000. Dont know now. My dealer only does BMW now. Auto Knight is no longer offering their product to BMW owners on the east coast. They are selling to MB owners though. What does that say about claims, regardless of potholes ?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 AM
ssj ssj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
Most were around $1000. Dont know now. My dealer only does BMW now. Auto Knight is no longer offering their product to BMW owners on the east coast. They are selling to MB owners though. What does that say about claims, regardless of potholes ?
Maybe worthwhile checking with Tina logue at Autohaus BMW, St. Louis. They used to sell First Automotive insurance for t/w nationwide.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Notaskitrail Notaskitrail is offline
Registered User
Location: Charlestown
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
I just paid $1199 for three year 45k tire and rim insurance from a dealer in southern NH.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM
lochavendrr lochavendrr is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i 6Sp sport
$1200 for 5 yrs

Paid $1200 for W&T insurance 3rd week in Aug 2011, in Allentown PA. Bought it as an "option" that I can cancel with prorated cost at any time. Seriously considering running these GY LS2s until the fail (and I get replacements from GY), they piss me off with noise and bad handling (quiet and good so far), or they wear out. Then I'll replace with Non RFT. I also plan to buy a winter tire / wheel package and get a mobility kit and jack. I will probably cancel the insurance this fall.

Damn BMW and their RFTs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms