Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 AM
bmw best nothing less

Send a message via AIM to iluvmymthree
Mein Auto: 08 m3
Problems with law enforcement

This question is for nj residents .one if nj's laws is you have to have a front n rear plate in car . Not like some other states where only the back one is acceptable. I have always had a car with both plates but my m3 looks alot better without the front plate as I am sure most agree. I have my front plate on my dashboard it is still visible but is that illegal ? Does it have to be on the bumper? I don't wanna a officer to have a bad day and look for someone to pull over for minor thing like that ..any input would be helpful.
Ads by Google
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: ,11 M3 Convertible
The front plate is required in NJ on passenger vehicles. The statute, 39:3-33 states the plates shall be displayed not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing. All identification marks shall be kept clear and distinct and free from grease, dust or other blurring matter, so as to be plainly visible at all times of the day and night.

Having the plate on the dashboard is a violation of the statute. I believe the car looks better with the plate on the front bumper as opposed to thrown on the dashboard.

I believe the fine for failure to display the plate is now at $133.00.

Last edited by Dave IV; 11-27-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i X Drive Coupe
I have a friend who is a cop...and I've discussed this with him...if you don't want the front LP, don't put it on your dash..it will draw attention that you don't have it on your bumper...better to not have it at all, and it may go un-noticed, unless you're already getting pulled over for something else...then it may even be an excuse to write a ticket for that instead of speeding, if he wants to be nice...i don't have mine, and so far (knock on wood) haven't had any issues.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
This is pretty simple. the law is the law, so you have to ask yourself. Is it worth "paying the ticket" if the answer is yes, keep the LP in the trunk an go about your business. if not either comply or look for a solution maybe the hideaway plate holder? is almost as much as the ticket but you pay it once. and you stay within "legal specs".

By the way lived in NYC for many years, so yes I know how difficult it is to have a FLP. I moved to FL and later on PA and am happy no FLP on either state

Last edited by 1naztyx5; 12-08-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 MR E92 M3 Coupe
Living in Jersey, I've faced this problem for a while. With my first M3, I just didn't bother putting the plate on. I was pulled over 3 times (over a 5 year period) but never got a ticket. When I bought my 2010 M3, I still didn't want to drill the holes, but I didn't want to deal with the threat. So I put the plate on with double sided tape. It has been on for 2 years and I have had no problems. I have not had to replace the tape. If you get the 3M padded tape, it should work fine. I did wrap the edge of the license plate with black electrician's tape, in case the plate came loose. I didn't want it to scratch the car. But it has never come loose and the black tape actually makes it look kind of cool. Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: M3
My car still awaits production but I went through this with my corvettes. It was a number of years before the boys patrolling the streets of the small town I live in took note. Once they did though they pulled me over every time they saw me. It became a war. I would wait until the last day left on the current ticket and go in and show them my front plate was mounted (with masking tape) and they had to sign off on it. As soon as they did I took it off and threw it the back and had them write me another ticket while I was there to save time. Did that for quite a while then I figured out I could save money by getting new plates and putting the little temporary up in the window and I switched to that. That gets you six weeks and then right before the temp is going to expire you go order new plates that will come with another temp and six weeks.... I never did put a front plate on those cars. Cost me but whatever, for me it was worth it and I'll be doing the same with this car. This is in WA btw so I'm not sure if you can do this there but my guess is if you really want to get out of it and are willing to pay you can.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Why don't you also leave the back one off? Isn't the fine the same for that?

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 01-03-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 AM
I own my dream car!

Mein Auto: 2015 F82 M4 DCT
I use a skene design license plate holder which is drilled underneath the bumper. This way, if I ever decide to take it off, there are no visible holes in the front. When the plate is on, it looks normal (actually, a little better since there is no bracket), and there is always the option to take it off. Just stick some rubber feet on the back of the plate so it doesn't scratch your bumper.