Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 320d e91 touring
Exclamation power steering pump

been to mechanic got my e39 checked out it was making noises from the power steering pump

baiscally i need to replace the power steering pump i have looked all over the net cant find a write up on this, could anyone please help me on this i have a

2001 e39 525d
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty786 View Post
been to mechanic got my e39 checked out it was making noises from the power steering pump

baiscally i need to replace the power steering pump i have looked all over the net cant find a write up on this, could anyone please help me on this i have a

2001 e39 525d
Make sure to replace the reservoir at the same time, There is a filter built into the bottom of it, Cheap insurance for the new pump.

Max
Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 320d e91 touring
you cant buy the filter or resvoiure seperate i have brought a second hand power steering pump ive been told its oil free so it must be thoughrilly cleaned i hope
i just need a write up on its change it looks quite simple but sometimes the simpliest things turn out to be a pain in the ass
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525i 124k
Here's a link to the power steering reservoir, which includes the filter. I'm not sure if it's the same for the diesel engine but you should be able to buy this part separately and I'd recommend it. It's easy to swap out since you're in there anyways and is a cheap part.

I'll see if there's a good write-up that I can find. I replaced the pump on my previous 525i and it wasn't too bad.

EDIT:
I remember now that I couldn't find an exact DIY for this when I replaced mine. What I ended up doing was following the cooling system DIY until I could get to the pump which is basically held there by 2 long screws and the hoses. Hopefully you find this helpful:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233347

One thing to note, removing the pump seems to be the same for the 6 and 8-cylinder engines but the 8 cylinder pump has a valve that drains all of the power steering (ATF) fluid out of the pump and I was never able to find this on the 6 cylinder model.

Last edited by jordan16j; 10-30-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
I just did this same job on Sunday. It's a pretty easy DIY job, but there are a few things to be aware of, for sure.

1. Have all the proper tools on hand. It makes it a lot easier.
2. Follow the DIY below. This was copied from another bimmer forum (hint) so I won't post the link.

Parts to order:
Power Steering Pump - get a remanufactured one. It'll save you a ton of money.
You can also take this opportunity to replace your reservoir since that's where the PS filter is.

Tools you will need:
3 lb or heavier sledge hammer
2 ton or better floor jack
Jack stands
Wheel blocks
Wrench set (need a 13mm, 19mm, 24mm and a 32mm (look for a 32mm wrench with a nice long handle.)
13mm socket - Again, cheap socket sets to be had at harbor freight for $25
15mm deep socket
Set of Torx Bits
Drain pan
1 Liter of ATF - any plain Synthetic ATF will do. Additional bottles of ATF will be needed if you want to flush your system.
Lots of paper towels or shop rags
Rubber gloves
Some kind of good grease cleaner (I use Simple Green)
A flathead screwdriver
A pry tool for expansion plugs
I apologize for the lack of pictures but this is actually a very simple DIY.

I recommend removing your fan before putting your car up on jack stands.

You can follow this DIY to remove your fan:

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

I recommend not removing the cowl or other pieces that they remove in this DIY. With a 540, you can just follow the procedure detailed with the hammer and 32mm wrench. Note that you may have to hit the wrench really really hard; much harder than you will feel comfortable hitting.

Use your 13mm socket (with an extension) to loosen up the belt tensioner bolts. (detailed in the DIY linked above).
I prefer to do those steps before jacking up the car because it makes the fan and belt easier to access. Now jack up your car and put it on stands.
Remove the engine cover from the bottom of the car (also detailed in the DIY above)
The power steering pump is located on the bottom right corner of the engine, when facing the front of the car. It is bolted to the engine by two 13mm bolts on the left side of it. It also has another 13mm nut on the back of the pump that holds it in place. But don't remove these first.
On the bottom of the pump is a drain plug which can be opened with an allen wrench . Unscrew the cap from the reservoir and then remove the drain plug from the pump. Make sure the drain pan is under the pump before doing this.
There are two metal pipes attached by bolts to the back and right side of the pump. The bolt for the pipe on the back is a 24mm bolt. Place your wrench on the bolt and (facing the front of the pump) hit the wrench with your sledge hammer clockwise a few times to break it loose. There are two metal washers on the bolt, make sure you dont lose them when you remove the bolt. Repeat the same procedure for the pipe on the side of the pump except you will need a 19mm wrench. put the wrench on the bolt and hit the wrench with your hammer a couple times. Again, this bolt has washers so don't lose them.
With both pipes removed, use your pry tool to gently remove the belt from the Power steering pump pulley. Tuck the belt up above the pump. Now use your socket wrench with an extension and 13mm socket to loosen the bolts holding the pump on the engine but do not completely remove them yet.
Next use a 13mm wrench and remove the nut anchoring the back of the alternator.
Remove the two bolts on the front of the PS pump and pull the pump forward off the engine.
If you did not get a new pulley, you will need to remove the existing one. It is held on by three 13mm bolts. I used my 13mm wrench and held tightly onto the pulley to prevent it from turning while I loosened the bolts.
Transfer the pulley to your new pump.
Transfer the anchor screw that the nut was attached to onto your new pump.
Remove any plastic plugs that were placed in the holes of your replacement pump.
Slide the new pump into position and hand tighten the two bolts on the front that attach it to the engine. Next, hand tighten the nut on the back of the engine. Once the position of the pump is acceptable, tighten down the two bolts and nut.
Reattach the smaller of the two metal pipes first. This is the pipe on the side of the pump. Make sure that you really tighten the bolt a lot as this is a pressurized line and you don't want leaks.
Reattach the larger pipe on the back of the pump. Again, make sure you tighten it well. Remember the bolt is screwed in the opposite direction since it is on the back of the pump. You will want to turn your wrench counter-clockwise to tighten.
Use your pry tool to put the belt back on the power steering pump pulley.
Put your engine cover back on, and lower the car.
Re-tension your belt using the 15mm socket and 13mm socket (You will need two socket wrenches or a socket wrench and breaker bar.
Reattach your fan.
If you are replacing your reservoir, use a 13mm wrench to remove the two bolts holding the Reservoir bracket onto the engine compartment wall.
Next, use a flathead screwdriver to loosen the two hose clamps attaching the hoses to the bottom of the reservoir.
Remove the hoses by wiggling them off.
Remove the old reservoir from the mounting bracket and install new one.
Reattach hoses and re-tighten clamps.
Remove all tools and foreign objects from engine compartment.
Fill the reservoir halfway and wait about 2 minutes. Some of the fluid will drain into the system.
Fill the reservoir up to the full line and close the cap on the reservoir tightly.
Start your engine and let it idle for 3 minutes. Shut off the engine. Do not turn the steering wheel during this step.
Fill your reservoir back up the the full line again. Start the engine. Run 3 minutes, shut off. Do not turn the steering wheel during this step.
Fill up the reservoir to full again. Start the engine. Turn the steering wheel 2 or 3 times in each direction as far as the wheel will turn. Shut off the engine and top off the reservoir (if needed).
You're done. Don't forget to recycle the oil from your PS system.

Good luck!

Jeremy

Last edited by jeremyp; 10-31-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: e39 528i
ebay compatibility

hey guys,
i need to replace my ps pump as well. Its 1996 528i which i recently bought. I am ordering one from ebay and i email the sellers for compatibilty but they are asking for OE part number. how can i check the part number? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB c240
M52 engine is different then m54, not where it attach to the engine but how how the pressure hose connects to the pump. Try OEM for part number.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i auto
Try this site from now on for parts look up.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

using that site your pump is part #32 41 1 094 098

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 AM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the help. Small, i checked the website you mentioned and i can search the parts through the VIN number there. But how do i get the exact part number like you mentioned, i see the power steering pump break down..i want to check myself as well since i will be ordering few more parts in near future...thanks once again.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 PM

ok i checked the breakdown at realoem again and now i know how to check for part numbers. Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Hope it works out.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Just did my power steering pump replacement yesterday. All went well except for the high pressure fitting on the remanufactured Cardone power steering pump. My car was making noise when pulling in/out of the parking lot, I didn't know what it was it until a couple weeks ago when I had to fight to get the car to turn...Shirts got a bit tight from the bulging biceps. Anyway, after reading the replacement procedures here from many folks I gained confidence and decided to do a complete overhaul of power steering and cooling system (well almost). For cooling system, I replaced water pump (Stewart EMP), thermostat housing, water pump pulley (aluminum), brass bleeder screws - at 107K miles the old water pump with plastic impeller was still in excellent condition, there was hardly any play in the bearing at all, and the plastic impeller still look darn good there was no physical stress to the naked eyes. For power steering, I replaced the reservoir (I think the leakage around this unit was the source of the problem which eventually led to the failure of the pump), reservoir supply and return hoses, power steering pump (Cardone remanufactured 21-5065 from Amazon), power steering pulley...and all pulleys (5 in all I think) and of course the 2 belts.

All went very smoothly thanks to the instructions I gathered from here and elsewhere. The only problem I had was the high pressure fitting on the Cardone pump. My old PSP was Luk LF-30, the Cardone unit was nearly identical in appearance except painted in black (different from the picture posted in Amazon). After screwing in the high pressure hose (I did not replace this hose because it still look good and no leakage), I noticed the pipe through the 27mm fitting was still loose even after tighten up the 17mm nut. I removed the 27mm brass fitting from the old unit and compared to the inside of the Cardone unit, lo and behold, although both of them were 27mm, the inside of the Cardone's was longer by a few mm causing the end of the hose with an o-ring (new) to not fit snugly inside the fitting- not happy at all. I knew fluid would leak out if it wasn't correct and since everything was pretty much installed, I didn't want to take out the PSP and order a different one - instead I decided to swap out the 27mm fittings. By puting the old fitting in the Cardone unit, after tighten it up there was no more looseness. Put in the D4 Red Line AFT and fired up the engine. Steering is so much better now.

I don't know about the reliability of the Cardone unit, I searched but did not find any negative reviews nor any discussions about the mistmatched high pressure fitting. Since the new Luk unit was +$300, I opted for the Cardone at around $80 (after core exchange). Afterward, I went back to check and everywhere I looked the Cardone unit I ordered (21-5065) was correct for my 2002 530i. Here hoping someone who has to do PSP replacement aware of the issue and get the right part for the job. I probably would not go for the Cardone had I knew about the problem, swapping out the fitting allowed me to complete the job and it seems to work fine but not worth the aggravation in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Garyb I'm looking at the parts diagram on RealOem and am not certain which fitting it is your referring to.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Sorry, I don't know what it's called. In the RealOem's 2nd diagram (E39->2002>Steering->Lubrication System), the high pressure hydraulic hose (#4) with an o-ring (#5) is screwed into this 27mm brass fitting in the PSP.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i MT M62
Any consensus on the aftermarket (Burgaflex ?) or OEM Power steering fluid return hose from the reservoir. Mine is leaking just underneath the reservoir due to weathering/hardening?

Repairs so far - Steering fluid pump ($1k - Indy), CCV replacement ($1k hosed to another Indy) & Axle replacement ($850 to another indy).. 3 indys to date and now I am diving all in as a DIY'er
Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 PM

It has been a while so I don't remember the rationale but I went with CRP, a high quality product, so far no problems.