Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-22-2011, 03:02 PM
flashy09 flashy09 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: land rover
How much off sticker price?

I am a terrible negotiator and usually overpay I am sure. I have done true car and amex/zag, but they are with 2011 only. What should I offer off the MSRP? Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,565
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Wait a bit and zag will soon have the '12 on their lists. If you really feel you are a "mark" for the sharks in the salesroom then use a buying service like zag then at least you will feel that you got a fair deal. Stay away from the "after purchase" options offered by the F&I person (or as I refer to them as the "Scotchguard" lady - guy) who wants to sell you all the "wonderful things" the dealer adds after purchase, like undercoating, paint protection, interior protection, and the various warranties -- all of which (except the wheel insurance) can be purchased later from any authorized dealer at a lower cost. The wheel insurance is another matter -- some like it -- I do not, but I don't buy extended warranties of any kind. Good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-23-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
flashy09 flashy09 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: land rover
Actually now I have gotten under invoice with the latest offer!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
iwanna330cic iwanna330cic is offline
Iwanna330Cic
Location: Beachwood, OH
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 905
Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
Actually now I have gotten under invoice with the latest offer!
Sounds like a winner. Now you need to confirm a PCD in Spartanburg - right where your new X3 will be made! You will have a blast!

Doug
__________________
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,565
Mein Auto: '06 X3
You must be the world's best negotiator! Virtually no one gets "under invoice" on a 35 X3 now. Most count themselves very lucky with getting $2-300 over invoice. That is about where a buying service will be. There are of course three levels of pricing, the "sticker" or MSRP, the "invoice", and finally "dealer cost". A couple of other things are also in the mix. One is "hold back" which is money the manufacturer gives the dealer later for selling the car, another is "trunk money" which again the manufacturer gives the dealer to move a specific class of cars (i.e. 335d's for example) because they are not selling well. This gives the dealer a cushion to make money by pushing that car. Trunk money is not a "rebate" as the dealer gets it not the customer. Unless of course the customer is savvy and knows about the trunk money then can factor that into their deal. Lots of fun and games in the car buying world.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-27-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 AM
flashy09 flashy09 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: land rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
You must be the world's best negotiator! Virtually no one gets "under invoice" on a 35 X3 now. Most count themselves very lucky with getting $2-300 over invoice. That is about where a buying service will be. There are of course three levels of pricing, the "sticker" or MSRP, the "invoice", and finally "dealer cost". A couple of other things are also in the mix. One is "hold back" which is money the manufacturer gives the dealer later for selling the car, another is "trunk money" which again the manufacturer gives the dealer to move a specific class of cars (i.e. 335d's for example) because they are not selling well. This gives the dealer a cushion to make money by pushing that car. Trunk money is not a "rebate" as the dealer gets it not the customer. Unless of course the customer is savvy and knows about the trunk money then can factor that into their deal. Lots of fun and games in the car buying world.
I came to $1,000 under invoice and about $200 over dealer cost.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,565
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Like I said, you are a great negotiator!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
coolesnce coolesnce is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 80
Mein Auto: 2012 X3 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Like I said, you are a great negotiator!
I asked about trunk money and the sales manager said no trunk money given by BMW corporate on the x3 since they are having trouble keeping up with demand.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM
stone915 stone915 is offline
Registered User
Location: louisville
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: bmw
I wonder how you can get $1000 below invoice? Any rebate?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2011, 05:32 PM
flashy09 flashy09 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: land rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone915 View Post
I wonder how you can get $1000 below invoice? Any rebate?
No rebate or trade in or loyalty. I am glad it does seem to be a really good deal.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Evlengr's Avatar
Evlengr Evlengr is offline
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,252
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
No rebate or trade in or loyalty. I am glad it does seem to be a really good deal.

Soooo? Not going to share with anybody the dealers name? Always confused why people dont publsih name of dealer when they are having a good or bad experience.
__________________
2013 S4 Loaded (and NO RFT's) Awesome is an understatement
2008 MT X3 RIP you were a faithful sidekick and will be missed.
2007 AT X3 RIPOS
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 AM
leighton leighton is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I just ordered three X3s, all 35i, for my wife, my brother-in-law, and a neighbor. Two are heavily optioned and one somewhat. During June and July, I surveyed 17 New York metropolitan area dealers including New Jersey and Connecticut because one X3 will be leased with seven security deposits that are prohibited by NY state regulation. I always work with markup/down from dealer invoice as published by kbb.com and similar. As always, I found wide variance in markup/down as well as in dealer accessory, insurance package, and "documents" prices. After buying and leasing cars for more than 55 years, including BMWs for 20 years, the best experience of that entire duration has been the most recent with BMW of Freehold, NJ, part of the DCH Auto Group. They were agressive in pricing and fair and open in all of our discussions. I started with their web site email contact page. Maria Shouldice, the business development manager, responded almost immediately. The entire transaction was by email and telephone except for one visit when I accompanied my brother-in-law for the appraisal of his Lexus RX350 trade, also agressively priced. Along the way, a CA was assigned, but he played almost no role. The hand-off was from business development manager to sales manager to complete the transaction. The leased car, which will be driven almost entirely on NY metro roads, has tire and wheel insurance and, as the sixth consecutive lease, excess wear and tear insurance, both also agressively priced. Based on prior experience, we expect to realize significant savings from both insurance plans. That car is already in production. I expect the other two to be in production by the end of this week.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM
DGMorgan500 DGMorgan500 is offline
Accomplished Hypocrite
Location: Orange County
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Wait a bit and zag will soon have the '12 on their lists. If you really feel you are a "mark" for the sharks in the salesroom then use a buying service like zag then at least you will feel that you got a fair deal. Stay away from the "after purchase" options offered by the F&I person (or as I refer to them as the "Scotchguard" lady - guy) who wants to sell you all the "wonderful things" the dealer adds after purchase, like undercoating, paint protection, interior protection, and the various warranties -- all of which (except the wheel insurance) can be purchased later from any authorized dealer at a lower cost. The wheel insurance is another matter -- some like it -- I do not, but I don't buy extended warranties of any kind. Good luck!
I really dislike blanket, biased, stereotypical, cowboy advice. More importantly, third party buying services don't do it for free. Their fee is paid by you--reducing your total discount. It is either paid directly by you or the dealer pays them. If the dealer pays them, you get less discount.

Do your research; know the market; offer less than market and go from their. Concerning warranties, do the math. Buy at what makes mathematical sense. Vegas wasn't built on winners, neither are service departments and Indy shops. Yes, you can buy them later. They will cost more. The price of parts and labor invariably goes up

Last edited by DGMorgan500; 09-28-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM
fb88 fb88 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 625
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
How much did you pay for tire and wheel insurance on the X3?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-28-2011, 05:09 PM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,565
Mein Auto: '06 X3
DG, sorry if I upset you. It was not intended. The OP seemed to be concerned about his/her ability to deal with the sharks (sorry, another stereotypical reference) the sales associates in the show room. I merely made a suggestion that for some people without the time or inclination to do the tough work necessary for a rock bottom purchase price a buying service might be the answer. Sure they get a fee for their work, so does the salesman, thats how things work. However, it appears the OP can do just fine on their own and managed a killer deal and for that Well Done! Now, if we only knew the dealer's name.....

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-28-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms