Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540-6 speed
Let's talk coil packs.. best brands / prices

Looks like I'm gonna not be a cheap ass and replace my coils one by one.. just gonna go for em all at once..

checking out sites, looks like oembimmer has good prices. There are a couple options.. Meyle or Bosch.. at like 42 and 48 bucks each. (http://www.oembimmerparts.com/e39engineparts.html)

ECS also had some other options that were cheaper, but donno if anyone has any experiences with those?

And i know the good ol stealer charges like 65-80 for these too..

Anyone have some good input?

Dinan exhaust, short shifter, sway bars, so far...
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2011, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
All of them can't be bad. Why do you need to replace all of them?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon540/6M View Post
I've never had to replace the coils; but from what I've read, most seem to be saying it's a total waste of money if they're still working.

Have you tested them as per the Bentleys?

- How to diagnose a typical BMW E39 engine misfire (1)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Looks like I'm gonna not be a cheap ass and replace my coils one by one.. just gonna go for em all at once..

checking out sites, looks like oembimmer has good prices. There are a couple options.. Meyle or Bosch.. at like 42 and 48 bucks each. (http://www.oembimmerparts.com/e39engineparts.html)

ECS also had some other options that were cheaper, but donno if anyone has any experiences with those?

Unless they have been PROVEN to be bad, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by replacing them....save your money for more important things.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM

hmm.. interesting points to counter what ive always been told haha.. i have replaced two by now that have gone bad.. mainly misfire under load.. just a PIA to deal with, althought it is one of the easiest fixes on this thing.. car just starts misfiring under load.. etc.. and i was just not wanting to deal with the hassle of figuring out which one was the faulty lol. Maybe I will just order 2 so I have a spare when the next one goes..

Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
hmm.. interesting points to counter what ive always been told haha..
Not sure what's so funny but what, pray tell, have you been told?

Quote:
i have replaced two by now that have gone bad..
How did you diagnose that they went bad?

And, why not use that same diagnostic procedure for the remaining coils?

Quote:
mainly misfire under load..
That can be caused by a score of things (see the aforementioned threads I referred you to).

Quote:
just a PIA to deal with, althought it is one of the easiest fixes on this thing..
For some reason, I don't understand that sentiment.

Quote:
i was just not wanting to deal with the hassle of figuring out which one was the faulty lol.
It's a simple resistance measurement, and/or switch.

Quote:
Maybe I will just order 2 so I have a spare when the next one goes..
Methinks you badly want new coils.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
I got 8 new Bosch packs and boots last year from Max at OEM bimmerparts to replace the original Bremi's.

something about Bremi's and the recall they had years ago always made me uncomfortable. No other reason and it was far from making any sense but just wanted to change them out.

These cars make you do strange things
Old 09-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 540i 6Spd; 02 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
I got 8 new Bosch packs and boots last year from Max at OEM bimmerparts to replace the original Bremi's.

something about Bremi's and the recall they had years ago always made me uncomfortable. No other reason and it was far from making any sense but just wanted to change them out.

These cars make you do strange things
If I remember correctly, the Bremi coils in your vehicle were never effected. It was only in E46 M3s. Manufacturing bad parts can happen, true. But replacing all coils for the sake of replacement is not necessary. You could spend your money on replacing just the boots and that would satisfy things. Get one or two OE Bremi coils and keep them in the car with a Peake code reader for long trips and a 3/8" socket set to get access to them and you will never have any issues. My 540i is at 108k miles and I have never had coil issues and they are all stamped the same date so I know the previous owner never had issues as well.

The OKD and Bavarian Autosport coils seem more like a marketing ploy than anything else. Real performance will never be felt in the seat of the pants.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Not sure what's so funny but what, pray tell, have you been told?

How did you diagnose that they went bad?

And, why not use that same diagnostic procedure for the remaining coils?

That can be caused by a score of things (see the aforementioned threads I referred you to).

For some reason, I don't understand that sentiment.

It's a simple resistance measurement, and/or switch.

Methinks you badly want new coils.
Well I have had 2 go bad in 2 years, so I guess im familiar with the symptoms by now. The last time the GT1 told me, this time I don't have access, and it made my life easy cause it told me what cylinder it even was. Now I'll either have to check resistance on each, or narrow it down, or just buy em all and replace em. I think I'll see where it goes by buying one and another for when the next one breaks

Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 AM
Wrenchin' fool ...

Mein Auto: e39 528it
Unless you have an oscilloscope handy ... the resistance check won't net you a bad coil.

The low voltage used by typical multimeters when measuring resistance is not enough to properly test the secondary windings. See if your indy has a "megger" or, read up on using an O-scope (borrow) to test.

I ran the Bentley tests when I got a stumble / misfire on one coil pack. Primary resistance was "in spec" and gave me no info. OBDII code "suggested" which cylinder and I swapped with another. Misfire followed the bad COP (coil on plug) and so I replaced with aftermarket Bremi (made in Tunisia). I investigated the OKD and Bavauto High Perf COPs and decided no. A month later, another misfire .. two COPs this time, different cylinders than previous. Again, primary resistance test showed nothing ... swapped with "known" good ones and misfire followed bad COPs.

At this point ... with three going bad in the space of 2 months, decided to replace all with new (that I hadn't already replaced) and new boots. Got new Bremi's from Tischer / Mileone BMW (getbmwparts.com) and all were BMW boxed Bremis ... made in Tunisia.

This was around 10 years old and 170XXX miles.

No problems since.

Good luck.

2000 528iT Sport 5M (mfg. 5/1999) ~ 1990 325iX 5M
BMW CCA member #130075
JScottRacing
Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase007 View Post
Unless you have an oscilloscope handy ... the resistance check won't net you a bad coil.
If that's the case, we probably need a thread for 'how to test the ignition coil'.

I looked in the bestlinks, and didn't see it there.

Looking in some of my threads (where I often post references), I see my spark plug DIY (1) contains a reference to the Bentleys:
Quote:
Page 120-11, ignition coil resistance specifications
In that spark plug DIY, I had no need to test the coils, but I did show the glass-of-water coil operational test procedure and the ground-wire tests (which the OP should perform if he hasn't already).

Searching Bimmerfest, E39 titles only, there are only 42 threads with 'coil' in the title, none of which imply that they are a coil-testing DIY.

There is a bit of coil-testing DIY information in the misfire thread:
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

Where it says:
Quote:
6==bad coil pack or boot (Bentley says to diagnose with an oscilloscope)
Quote:
Swap ignition coils between adjacent cylinders (1)
  • If the misfire moves, replace the bad coil) ...
  • Also check your coil harness ground to the valve covers (1)
  • Note: The E39 coils are bolt-down until 8/02 and flip-switch from 9/02 (1)
I didn't check the Bentleys yet, but, what we probably need is an E39 coil testing DIY.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:26 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:

Ther was a Recall Notice issued against the coils some time ago. Here is a link to the discussion on this. The replacement was free for the cars that fell between certain manufacturing dates.

Also, in the post people seem to prefer Bosch to something else (may or may not have been Meyle).

2002-2004 Recall Notice For Ignition Coils
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118026

Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Unless you have an oscilloscope handy ... the resistance check won't net you a bad coil
For the record, this ignition-coil test thread concurred, saying today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Had a misfire and here's how I fixed without a code reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveTwoWagons View Post
$73.99 Duralast coil (which by the way I believe is the same as oem only with the BMW p/ns sanded off... still says BMW on the connector). I installed it and to my surprise I still had the miss. I then moved the new #2 coil to #1 and it still missed so the assumption was the new coil was bad. Drove the car to AutoZone and swapped the first new coil for the last new one they had and that finally fixed the miss. After all that I also found where the ohms on the coil reading between terms 15 and 1 should be 0.82 and the ohms between terms 15 and 4 should be 8250. The orig coil checked out way off so it definitely was bad but the new one that also was bad checked right on the money.

I guess ohms doesn't always tell you everything.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
For the crosslinked record, this related thread was opened today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Coil pack values good or bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton831 View Post
Today I tested my coil packs it seem I might have a mis going uphill but I have no cel lights these are the numbers I got from back of the motor to front
1.7/2.3/2.3/2.0/2.2/2.2 in diode mode 2/3/3/3/3/3 are these numbers good or bad im not really sure.
So I pointed them to this thread for help.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
the resistance check won't net you a bad coil.
For the record, another coil testing thread opened today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > 523i bmw no current on ignition coil
Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW e39
Quote:
If that's the case, we probably need a thread for 'how to test the ignition coil'.

I looked in the bestlinks, and didn't see it there.

Looking in some of my threads (where I often post references), I see my spark plug DIY (1) contains a reference to the Bentleys:

In that spark plug DIY, I had no need to test the coils, but I did show the glass-of-water coil operational test procedure and the ground-wire tests (which the OP should perform if he hasn't already).

Searching Bimmerfest, E39 titles only, there are only 42 threads with 'coil' in the title, none of which imply that they are a coil-testing DIY.

There is a bit of coil-testing DIY information in the misfire thread:
- How to diagnose a BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

Where it says:

I didn't check the Bentleys yet, but, what we probably need is an E39 coil testing DIY.

In this picture the coil packs in my car only has a ground wire for the 6th cylinder should there be one on the first aswell?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
Old 12-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39munoz View Post
should there be one on the first aswell?
I went back to my pics:
- One user's pictorial DIY for replacing the BMW M54 engine spark plugs (1)

I have ground straps on each side:

And even ground wires in between:

Also, there is a coil test procedure here:
- How to test a BMW ignition coil (1) (2)
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW e39
Quote:
I went back to my pics:
- One user's pictorial DIY for replacing the BMW M54 engine spark plugs (1)

I have ground straps on each side:

And even ground wires in between:

Also, there is a coil test procedure here:
- How to test a BMW ignition coil (1) (2)
I just realized i only have does that cause something horrible to happen? Or does it even matter at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
Old 11-11-2014, 12:00 PM

See also:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > how to test coil packs
Old 11-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sedan
Although throughout this forum many will use nothing but OEM replacement parts, I had a coil go bad several weeks ago. Couldn't wait for shipping or a trip to the closest out of town dealership so I picked one up at Autozone. Seems to work splendidly but the biggest benefit is that it comes with a lifetime replacement warranty. Just saying.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
I went with regualar 30$ after market coils,

They are the same.. just dont have the bmw logo stamped on them,

and you dont need to buy 8.. get one for the one you need plus 2 or 3 more for the shelf at home, you might not ever need them..
they take 15 min to replace (5 min)

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 11-11-2014, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Unless they have been PROVEN to be bad, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by replacing them....save your money for more important things.
My sentiments exactly. I've replaced one coil pack in the last three years. They tend to fail one at a time, and a complete failure won't leave you stranded somewhere. Also, mine failed gradually, with the miss, or stumble, getting progressively more consistent.

I'd say get your money's worth out of the coils that are still working. You'll have plenty of other issues to spend it on.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 86 635,87 M6,2000 528it
I replaced all coil packs on my 528i. It looks like a few coil packs were changed before my ownership.
I decided to go with the factory Bosch coils and replaced the stems also.
My old coils worked perfectly. The new coils also work perfectly. I did it because where I live
it's extra hot and the PO was a soccer Mom who prolly sat it hot Texas traffic for 8 years.
I also replaced all the spark plugs at the same time.

I usually take road trips of several hundred miles so I didn't want a breakdown away from home.

Last edited by AV8R4AA; 11-11-2014 at 03:26 PM.